How to clean shower tile

Recently purchased a small condo from an estate in South Jersey, the tile showers are loaded w/ soap scum.

Can anyone suggest the easiest / best way to clean ?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thnx,

Steven

Steven Steven
Aug '17

Try mixing a paste of baking soda and vinegar -works great for me

Happymom Happymom
Aug '17

Oxy clean.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Aug '17

I use a toothbrush and bleach.
Fill a small glass half way with bleach.
Do it in sections, a section at a time just before you shower.
Will be done in maybe 3 days- clean as a whistle.

Stymie Stymie
Aug '17

Bar Keeper's Friend cleans a lot of stuff.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Aug '17

Generously spray on a shower cleaner (such as Scrubbing bubbles or Zep professional cleaner) and wait 10 minutes before you start scrubbing. The cleaner will start to dissolve the soap scum on its own. If it's really bad you may have to do it more than one time to get it all off.

gm mom
Aug '17

I tried almost everything everyone else posted to remove thick caked on soap scum and none of worked no matter how hard I scrubbed. I finally made a mixture of equal parts hot (not boiling) vinegar and blue Dawn. Sprayed it on and let it sit about ½ an hour then scrubbed it with a scouring pad. It all came off and the tub looked new again. I couldn't believe it. I found the "recipe" online.

jrsemom jrsemom
Aug '17

When I moved into my house I spent 6 hours scrubbing a bathroom that hadn't been cleaned in years...tried every cleaner out there, then I googled "home remedies"...
Take a spray bottle and put 1/4 cup of original dawn in it. (The blue one)
Warm up 2 cups of white vinegar in the microwave for 1-2 minutes (or as much vinegar that will fill the spray bottle)
Pour the warm vinegar into the bottle and shake it up.
Spray generously all over the tile and let it sit for 30-45 minutes.
Just spray it off with water and the tile should glisten!
Hope it helps, it was the only thing that worked for me.

Try mixing a paste of baking soda and vinegar -works great for me

Instructions
Take about 1 Tablespoon of baking soda and mix with about 1/2 teaspoon liquid castille soap to form a paste. Add more soap if you want a thinner consistency.

Scrub onto surfaces with a damp rag, then rinse.
Simple 2-Ingredient Homemade Cleaning Paste - A Better Way to Thrive

https://abetterwaytothrive.com/simple-2-ingredient-homemade-cleaning-paste/

X2

Worked great for me also.

thehazguy thehazguy
Aug '17

Use a Spray bottle of cheap bleach. Spray the whole thing LIBERALLY (start at top, sweeping across, and work your way down. Leave it alone overnight. It should look great in the morning.

You all may laugh,but I tried most of these concoctions with limited results and too much LABOR. Then..... someone told me WD-40. Works GREAT !! (Just WELL Ventilate during process)

geedo geedo
Aug '17

THEN after you get it spotless.......best way to prefent ever having to scrub the heck out of it again is simply drying down all the walls and tub after every use............it makes weekly cleaning a breaze!

littlelu littlelu
Aug '17

Tilex

It is the best thing ever. Spray it and let sit for a few hours.

nutty nutty
Aug '17

wd 40 will not be good for te drains I would imagine.

Steven Steven
Aug '17

Got this off Pinterest and works great. Microwave one cup vinegar for two minutes. Mix with one cup of blue dawn dish liquid and pour in spray bottle. Spray entire shower and let soak overnight. In am rinse off.
Works great.

Cleanfreak
Aug '17

I also recommend "Bar Keepers Friend" - really worked well for me in a rental that had built up soap scum on the shower glass door and tile.

luvlife
Aug '17

Ok, you may not believe how easy this is....but trust me....I couldn't believe it either!

MURPHY'S OIL SOAP! Yup, Murphys! Dilute in a spray bottle, spray, sit a minute or two, and wipe. Presto!

Been using Murphy's all my life, and gee, never read the bottle where it says "tile"!!

Rinse well, and have a shiny day! ;-)

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.