Honoring our wounded vets with reserved parking spaces

Honoring our wounded vets with reserved parking spaces

I was searching through Facebook and stumbled upon a video and unfortunately couldn't find the link to it so I have some pictures . Where could we have this painted in town??

Michael J Michael J
Aug '17

Here's another one!! I respect our military men and women and think we should have a few of these reserved spots for our combat wounded vets!

Michael J Michael J
Aug '17

Apparently they've been doing this since 2012. Here's an article I found about it.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_563a2336e4b0411d306efa64

And here is info on how to get the signs.

https://www.wwfs.org/mobility-is-freedom/combat-wounded-parking-signs

jrsemom jrsemom
Aug '17

How about for any Vet, not only the wounded

Really???
Aug '17

Re: Honoring our wounded vets with reserved parking spaces

I recently moved to NC. I am also a Viet Nam Vet. It was a very pleasant surprise to find a Veteran parking spot on my local Harris Teeter store. It was like finding a nice "welcome home" experience that we never received during the War period.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Aug '17

I am also in NC and we see a lot of these signs down here. There are blue Handicap parking in the first spots closest to the store, then the "Reserved Veteran Parking" next, then there are some signs for families or mother's with children next, and then all the rest of the parking spots. It is nice to live in a civilized community where we look out for the people and respect and honor them. It is especially a great feeling to see this sort of thing when we have all this sh*!@, stuff, going on in our country. It is amazing how we as people tend to glorify all the bad stuff each day and not reward the good that is happening around us. I am one that looks for the good and tries to let things like these signs, and other good stuff, build and build with the hopes that one day the good will outnumber the bad. Or at least more people will want to see the good and not dwell on the bad.

Open Minded Open Minded
Aug '17

I love this! I love it WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY so much more than the preferred parking for the expecting. I really really hate THOSE signs.

Jenny Jenny
Aug '17

Jenny - why do you hate those sign for expecting mothers?

@really yea for all veterans I agree!!!

Michael J Michael J
Aug '17

Wow lots of NC folks

Skippy Skippy
Aug '17

JPM: Oh MANYreasons, not the least of which is because being pregnant isn't a disability.

Jenny Jenny
Aug '17

Where in NC is everybody? I believe Skippy is in the Cary area. I made an offer on a house in Leland today.

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '17

Jenny, I agree. I chose not to use those spaces when I was pregnant because I was fully able to walk. There may be other pregnant women that needed them. Just not me.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Aug '17

If they need them, they can apply for a handicap sticker. I have severe arthritis and a host of other issues which make every step I take a painful experience. But I don't feel THAT badly that I'd qualify for a handicapped sticker. But even so, my pain is just as much as some pregnant lady's pain. And my time is as precious. And my hands are as full. It's a courtesy extended by the store, it's not a law. I don't usually see those spots empty, but one time I pulled into it and came out with a lit cigarette. yeah, that garners just the right amount of dirty looks. Love it.

Jenny Jenny
Aug '17

You sound like a classy lady, Jenny.

Jenny, have you been pregnant?

Tracy Tracy
Aug '17

No Tracy, I was unable to have children. If you're implying I'm taking revenge, I'm not, haaa. I am not as bothered about it as it's appearing here. I was just making an off the cuff comment. Nothing I want to get beaten up for.

Jenny Jenny
Aug '17

I'm not beating you up, nor was I implying any such thing. I was just wondering how you knew the aches and pains of pregnancy enough to comment. I'm very sorry you were unable to have children if that's something you wanted.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '17

Yep Cary here congrats on your new home

Skippy Skippy
Aug '17

Just put in an offer Skippy. The market is really hot in Brunswick County. Keeping my fingers crossed.

kb2755 kb2755
Aug '17

Well I wish you well - if we can help anyway please PM

Skippy Skippy
Aug '17

I think this is a wonderful idea. Michael J - maybe you could reach out to the BID for Main St placement, and some of the stores like Shoprite and Walmart in Mansfield to see if they would consider it?

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Gotta say it was totally refreshing when we moved to NC. They really do appreciate vets and everyone is generally much nicer here. Best move we ever made and no where near the taxes in NJ.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Aug '17

So pregnant women, wounded vets (do they have to be wearing their Purple Heart?), combat vets that weren't wounded, vets that were in during war but didn't see combat (which is where I fit in), wounded police officers, retired police officers, firefighters, school teachers, ER doctors, hey - why not have a reserved parking spot for every person?

Reggie Voter Reggie Voter
Aug '17

Agreed boobala

I'm sure Purple Heart plates can parked handicapped now but I would like to see more veteran dedicated parking for sure - not just combat wounded

Skippy Skippy
Aug '17

Agreed, not just combat wounded. I've had the chance to interact with a number of vets recently. I think we (meaning Americans in general) could do better at acknowledging their service other days of the year than just on Veterans Day. I'm not sure even the combat wounded whom I've been communicating with feel appreciated. The attached is an excerpt from an email I received a few days ago written by a combat-wounded vet. It struck a chord in me at least.

A parking space is a simple gesture of thanks, and would be a visible, daily reminder to all that we owe our continuing freedoms to those who are willing to put themselves in harm's way.

And whether you saw combat or not, Reggie, or want the recognition, I for one would be willing to park a little further down to say thank YOU for being willing to fight for our country if called upon, and for your service.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

I agree with the vet parking, I think it is a very nice gesture for their sacrifices! But I also agree with Jenny, as I have been pregnant twice, I absolutely do not agree with pregnant parking! It is not a disability, it is something you chose! If you can not walk through a parking lot maybe you should visit your doctor! I believe those spots should be turned into more handicapped parking as I see many cars circling the lots with handicapped plates waiting for a spot to open! If you can't manage walking while pregnant how are you going to manage chasing a toddler on the playground?

I agree but think an exception should be carved out for establishments that cater to moms with kids / expectant mothers - ergo if a OB decided to provide premium parking for their expectant patients I can see it

Skippy Skippy
Aug '17

And how would this be enforced? Carry discharge paper in glove compartment? Pass a state law ? Other than military retirees, vets do not normally carry proof of service. Perhaps we could all join the VFW or similar orgs and they would issue stickers. Not to mention the fact that relatively speaking this is a predominantly male population.

If a vet was so seriously wounded would they not qualify for a normal handicapped placard to get the premium space. Healthy veterans who have no health issues should park in normal sites, if a store want to reserve sites that is their prerogative, but I would have issue if the police issues tickets to folks who ignored the sign. Similarly if a man parks in an expectant mother site, he can be glared at or given the evil eye, but not ticketed.

Agust Agust
Aug '17

Like anything else show your DD-214 and get a permit

Skippy Skippy
Aug '17

"If a vet was so seriously wounded would they not qualify for a normal handicapped placard to get the premium space. Healthy veterans who have no health issues should park in normal site"

I believe the intent is a show of gratitude and respect. Veterans of our military have all sacrificed and suffered for the country regardless of if they were ever in war, or injured.

That being said- people of our modern population are so blatantly disrespectful to each other on a daily basis that I could never see this working.

whoop-de-damn-doo , a parking spot, give them a discount if you want to honour them.

when I think about it, it really does seem like the absolute least we could do

scottso scottso
Aug '17

I hear a lot of people on here asking that there would need to be proof so someone can park in those spaces. That is one of the biggest problems with society today, everyone is so worried about what everyone else is doing and if that is correct. We need to start worrying more about what is correct for ourselves. Meaning, I know that I should not park in those spots so I don't even think about it.

Do we not park in the Handicap parking spots because of the fine or is it because there is someone that needs to use a parking spot closer because of a physical problem? If you pass it up because of the fine, then in my humble opinion, you are selfish and part of the problem in our world today. If people just thought about others a little more than we thought of ourselves, we would be in a much different and better society.

Open Minded Open Minded
Aug '17

“The True Gentleman”
The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others, rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe.
- John Walter Wayland

This was my fraternities "Creed" and i try to live by it everyday!!

Open Minded Open Minded
Aug '17

I do have Viet Nam Vet Plates issued by NC after having to submit my DD-214 for proof of service. I can only speak for NC. I just left NJ where there is no similar benefit. I would also like to say that there is no penalty here if someone not a vet parks in the spot. But then again, people here have a more honorable approach to things which is why I moved here.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Aug '17

Love this

So many negative comments on here. I figured it would be nice to show some respect to our veterans who deserve it more than anyone!

Michael J Michael J
Aug '17

We have a lot of more vet stuff here because of the population- Brag is here

Skippy Skippy
Aug '17

I can fully support veteran spaces, and also special spaces for pregnant women. Is pregnancy a "disability?" No, but it can be very uncomfortable and at times, painful. Some comments on here are pretty petty. I'm happy to walk an extra 20 feet so an expectant mom can park closer. Especially if she's hauling a toddler or other children. Some women have easy pregnancies with relatively few issues, some suffer from sciatica and back pain, but hey, everyone has to get groceries. Instead of being angry that you have to walk an extra 20 feet, be grateful that you can.

I don't think it's the point of anyone being "angry" that they offer pregnant parking, more the fact that those "prime" spots could be used for individuals with real disabilities! Whether it be a wounded vet, someone in a wheelchair etc, that have to drive around to wait for a close spot because they cannot walk the full length of the parking lot! As I stated I have had 2 children, both not easy pregnancies, back, hip pain etc and I still believe it is not right to designate spots unless you have a true disability!

As a NJ vietnam era vet that doesn't need to advertise it with special plates stickers or other trappings (Look at me stuff) I guess that unlike Boobla the people I know here are pretty honorable

eapos eapos
Aug '17

Eapos, what is wrong with someone being proud of their service? You have no idea what other Vets have been through and what their reasoning is for wanting to wear a hat, jacket, license plate, etc....

Jesse341 Jesse341
Aug '17

eapos, just speaking for me here. When I came home fro VN, there were no welcomes, no parades, nothing. In fact because I was so young, 19, I quickly learned to keep my service to myself and was able to say I never served because I looked so young anyway. I hid it for many years, but now the environment has changed and regardless of what you or anyone else feels, I am proud I served and to have something as simple as one or two convenient parking spaces is kind of a public , "welcome home". At my age, now feeling the effects of Agent Orange and other non service related issues, I think its kinda nice. I wont be hiding anymore.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Aug '17

+1 Boobalaa. Thank you for your service and Welcome Home! Both of my grandfathers were WW II vets, my grandmother was a riveter, my father is a Vietnam vet and my husband is an Iraq vet and will deploy again in the near future. The sacrifices service members make should be respected and appreciated. If some vets like to keep their service to themselves, that is fine. If others want to show the pride they have for their service that is fine too.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Aug '17

I was just speaking for myself, not downgrading those who served or serve now. Just upset the way Boobala thinks NC people are "more honorable " than NJ people.

eapos eapos
Aug '17

eapos - I don't want to put words into anyone's mouth, but living in NC now from NJ, I don't think that the people are "more honorable" down here. I do think that they are "more thoughtful" and "kinder" to their fellow humans. People down here go out of their way to do good, unlike up north where people just walk by as long as it doesn't involve them. But that is just my opinion, and you know that old saying about opinions....

Open Minded Open Minded
Aug '17

Yeah, but I got two :>)

I erased this a couple of times, but my father, a purple-hearted greatest generation would have voted no for the reasons noted above. He just did not want to call attention, or be thanked, for what he believed was his duty as a citizen. He turned down his disability pay saying the other boys needed it more. He didn't mind the one-a-year observation of memorial because it was all inclusive, but did not want personal glory or any special attention. It was just the way he was.

Myself, I took unemployment even though I could have gotten by. Obviously I could not understand him on this point, don't have an issue with the spots if folks want them and don't mind the extra 10 foot walk even if the spots are empty. Figure if you don't like it, don't park there.

Numerically speaking, it's pretty easy. There's about half the number of vets as there are disabled Americans and without fine tuning the numbers, or removing the double counting ---- probably 1 Vet space to every two handicapped sports would be the right number. Therefore, if the law demands the number of handicapped spots, and if the law computed this based on size of lot, size of demographic, then probably skip the singe handicapped-spot lots and focus on lots with two or more handicapped spots trying to provide one vet spot per two handicapped.

Good luck and hope you paint the spot versus just a sign. Looks kind of cool.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '17

"I can fully support veteran spaces, and also special spaces for pregnant women. Is pregnancy a "disability?" No, but it can be very uncomfortable and at times, painful. Some comments on here are pretty petty. I'm happy to walk an extra 20 feet so an expectant mom can park closer. Especially if she's hauling a toddler or other children. Some women have easy pregnancies with relatively few issues, some suffer from sciatica and back pain, but hey, everyone has to get groceries. Instead of being angry that you have to walk an extra 20 feet, be grateful that you can."

Again, I'm not 'angry' at the expectant mother spots. I'm simply saying it's a courtesy the store extends and not something that I am required to give a crap about. I have my own problems in life, yes I can walk an extra 20 feet, but it's not 20 feet in some cases. In some cases it's 250 feet, and even at that, that's not the point AT ALL. If a store wants to offer women with backaches and toddlers the courtesy, that's fine. But if the store knew about MY physical concerns, maybe they'd offer me a spot, too. And then, I'd never use it, because I know there are others with worse physical concerns than mine.

Jenny Jenny
Aug '17

Open Minded- exactly.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Aug '17

Just an update folks,,, the signs have been ordered and are on their way,,, they are for for combat wounded veterans reserved parking. There will be a town hall meeting on Sept 14 th. Show your support and attend the meeting. 3 signs will be erected God Willing

Shaddogs Shaddogs
Aug '17

So you are saying the signs have been purchased before town Council has even voted on it? interesting

Jim L. Jim L.
Aug '17

I gather the reason for any town involvement would be for the municipal lots. Otherwise it's up the the individual establishment that offers parking in their own lot. Just as with the expectant mother spaces this would be voluntary as opposed to the mandated handicap spaces.

I'm all for the Combat Wounded spaces. I would like to think I'd be surprised if the town didn't approve this for the municipal lots but who knows what others think. It should be a slam dunk however with the demise of our old friend Common Sense, anything is possible.

Veterans with a disability are eligible to receive a parking placard by submitting your DD214 and letter of disability to NJMVC. This can be accomplished at any NJMVC. This placard allows you to park in any municipal lot in NJ for free. My husband just received his placard that is good for 3 years, after which it can be renewed.

These signs were donated to Hackettstown due to a contribution that was made to this organization at No Cost to the town .. What I find interesting Jim L ...is that there may be a motivation behind this voluntary idea. As a veteran I wished to contribute a Voluntary Idea to show a courtesy to those who served. The monuments in the Gazebo were funded by contributiors ... The Clock was paid for by contributiors... As are these signs. If I have to erect these signs myself I will...and I can ..and it won't cost you a dime.

Shaddogs Shaddogs
Aug '17

I'd gladly work right beside you Shaddogs to erect the signs!

The Hospital and Lowes would be great locations. The 3rd would be good at CVS, Applebees or Salvation Army. I just don't think they would be seen or more importantly used in any of the small municipal lots.

Jim L Jim L
Aug '17

All in support of the proposal erecting these signs should attend the town council meeting tomorrow at 7 pm ... Cmon show your support!!!

Shaddiog Shaddiog
Sep '17

Nice to see Lowes is on board!

Home Depot has one too.

Tracy Tracy
Nov '18

What happens when a young teenager uses his dads truck and parks there?

Billyt
Nov '18

nothing, these signs aren't enforceable like handicap parking spots are. They are just a nice gesture and hopefully get used by those they are intended for.

Jim L Jim L
Nov '18

Typical modern-American nonsense.

Some army cook catches a tiny piece of shrapnel in his leg, so he gets a purple heart and is a "wounded vet," and he gets a special parking space.

Meanwhile, some farmer growing the food that gets sent to the army had a tractor roll over on him and lost an arm. A guy working in a factory making army helicopters lost an eye when a piece of machinery broke. And the guy working on that cook's mother's house fell through the roof and broke his back. They can all go park at the far end of the lot with the other "unworthy peasants."

Respecting the work and/or sacrifice of others is admirable. But when you give special privileges to some, and not to others, that's just playing favorites.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Nov '18

I noticed one of these signs yesterday at the Lowes in Phillipsburg. I had never seen one before and just as i was looking at it, a car pulled in. The license plate designated he was a Vietnam Vet, an elderly couple got out of the car. I was happy to see that.

Jenny Jenny
Nov '18

“But when you give special privileges to some, and not to others, that's just playing favorites.”

Just remember that this is, as JimL alluded to by reminding us that these are not intended to be enforceable (except maybe through peer pressure-the one thing we as parents always tell our kids to ignore ;-)), a marketing strategy on the part of retailers to tug at our emotions, er, I mean wallets, and turn it into more profits. Looks like the ploy works really well too :-)

Honestly, there are many folks that would be served by prime parking. The next marketing phase of this should be the installation of automated parking garages (like an old time juke box) where your car is delivered to the front of the store as you scan at the check out. Major $$$ from that move I’d think.

justintime justintime
Nov '18

"Typical modern-American nonsense. Some army cook........Meanwhile, some farmer..... guy working in a factory..... other "unworthy peasants."

Sorry- anyone that thinks like this just doesn't understand the incredible difference in the life of a military person compared to a 'normal' person.

The farmer, factory worker, construction worker, etc may work hard dirty long hours, and yes it may be dangerous to them. But they get to go home at night, take a hot shower, clean clothes, hug their wife, eat what food they choose, sit on a couch, sleep in a bed, heck- sleep indoors in the dry and warm. And that is only a small part of the difference.

Unless one has experienced it, explaining is pretty much impossible. There is no comparison.

What if you are a handicapped, wounded, pregnant veteran? Can you now park your car across three separate parking spots and then get out of your car and saunter into the place lording it over others like you own it? "Yeah, that's me, that's right, I get to do this!!"

The sincere humble, and truly honorable gentleman/gentlewoman needs not this type of aggrandizement. My father who qualified for two of these spots (he was never pregnant that I know of) would shun these spots on purpose and park in the far back reaches of the lot because he didn't need all of this special attention all the time.

Enough already.

GreyHawk GreyHawk
Nov '18

Yes, Josh, military life can be rough. Most people understand that, even if they've never been in the military.

My point was--where do you draw the line? A guy could be a "wounded vet" but have no trouble walking, yet he gets a convenient parking space, but a "wounded civilian" who has trouble walking does not (unless he happens to qualify for government "handicapped" status).

A vet could be mentally and emotionally scarred for the rest of his life but was never physically injured while in the service. Does he qualify?

What about an Army supply clerk who worked in a stateside warehouse for two years, before leaving the service, but it happened to be during wartime, and he fell down the stairs at the warehouse one day and became injured? Does he qualify?

What about the wife and mother who lost a husband and two sons in war, while she worked in a munitions factory, and who now struggles with severe arthritis? Oh, screw her--she wasn't in the military, so she didn't "serve" or "sacrifice." She can walk from the far side of the lot.

Giving special perqs to some citizens, and not to others, can ultimately lead to resentment, bitterness, and divisiveness, which is what this nation is struggling with, right now. Personally, I happen to support the whole "All men are created equal" thing--the basic rights of fairness and justice which are the core American values that this country's soldiers actually fought and suffered to protect.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Nov '18

I don't post much here but sometimes you just can't help it.

JerseyWolf, all are created equal, but not all DO equal. For those that risked their lives and left their families as a sacrifice to our country, to give you and I the freedoms we have (which are often take for granted), they EARNED their special treatment. They EARNED our respect and gratitude. A parking spot is a tiny recognition for all their thankless actions. And you know what? They've earned a hell of a lot more than a parking spot and shame on most of us for not giving to them (myself included).

Some jobs are dangerous and difficult, sure, and those who struggle from years of hard work or suffer from disability deserve something, too. We as a society need to show more sympathy and try to help our fellow human beings.

But to argue that we shouldn't respect veterans with a PARKING SPOT because someone else got hurt at work is beyond absurd. And to go so far as to say respecting veterans is dividing our country and causing social issues is equally absurd.

If anyone drives by a spot for wounded veterans and feels resentment or bitterness, then it's their attitude and sense of entitlement that is the issue. That, truly, is what is dividing our society. Not a parking spot.

PMLS13912 PMLS13912
Nov '18

People of all walks of life struggle and suffer, every day. And some civilians have given and suffered far more than many soldiers, and some soldiers have given and suffered far more than other soldiers. I did not/am not belittling military service, in any way. But we all serve a purpose in life, and I don't see how choosing to be in the military makes one more deserving than anyone else. I don't see that policemen or firefighters or EMTs deserve special treatment, simply because they choose government jobs serving people. I don't see that farmers and ranchers and fishermen deserve special treatment, even though they work some of the most dangerous civilian jobs in America. I don't see that medical professionals deserve special treatment, even though they dedicate their lives to healing others. And I do not, and will never, feel that I deserve any special treatment, for anything I have done for others or for my country. But apparently, some people do. Fortunately, this is America, and we are each entitled to our own opinions.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Nov '18

Josh,

All well said. Thank You Sir!

weatherfan
Nov '18

Military DO deserve more than MOST JW... including me..... only speaking for myself.

weatherfan
Nov '18

If it wasn't for the military- none of those other people would be here. Period.

If anything is "Typical modern-American nonsense" it is the thought that everyone is equal and deserves the same respect, or treatment.

Farmers, ranchers, fisherman, factory workers, doctors, and yes cops and teachers - all work a job for profit.

Nobody enlisted in the military for a paycheck.

Firefighters and EMT are the closest comparable and certainly admirable- but still no comparison to signing your literal life, body and mind away for years.

All that being said- one thing I'm learning as I age- people pick a mindset and stick to it, regardless of reality or facts.

SOOO- We will agree to disagree from here on out.

"Our country only exists because other countries are well aware of our ever ready superior military force. Without it- some other country would have killed us all, taken this land and all it's resources long ago."

Do you think Russia, North Korea and China live in fear of the human element of our standing Army? Or are they much more afraid of the technological firepower developed by our civilian scientists and engineers?

ianimal ianimal
Nov '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.