Annual LampLight Dinner

I saw signs for the lamplight dinner in Hackettstown. Was wondering if anyone had any insight on the event?

WashingtonTswp
Aug '17

It's run by the BID - their web site is the place for more info:

http://hackettstownbid.com/2017/06/hackettstown-bid-host-autumn-lamplight-dinner-sept-11/

Does anyone have any reviews on it? Pro's or con's? I'm very interested, thank you GC!

WashingtonTswp
Aug '17

We have our biggest list of restaurants ever this year!

Bea McNally's
David's Country Inn
Enjoy Creepie
Frank's Trattoria
Greene's Beans
James on Main
Leo's Lunch and Café
Main St Café
Mama's Café Baci
Marley Gotham Grill
Milena's Restaurant
Philly Pretzel
Stella G's
The Grove Gourmet Deli
The Pandam Room
Wasabi

Early Bird discount tickets is over but regular price is $45/person. $80/couple. You get a unlimited samples from all these great restaurants in town. Great food, fun band, and nice atmosphere.. It's one of my favorite events in town all year.

Last year I believe we had over 300 people attend

Jim L. Jim L.
Aug '17

This sounds like a great event and I was hoping to go this year. However, that's the end of Week 1 of the NFL and there are two Monday night games that night. I don't suppose they will be showing the games on a big screen outside......

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

LOL sadly Calico we have to pick a date long before the NFL season get announced to coordinate with this many restaurants. Bu there is always football on your phone :)

Jim L. Jim L.
Aug '17

Great! This sounds like a wonderful gathering for Hackettstown restaurants and community! Thank you Jim L!

WashingtonTswp
Aug '17

Jim L - Have you forgotten that I still rock the dumb phone? LOL

For future planning consideration, the NFL season always begins the Thursday after Labor Day with one game that night and the rest of the games on Sunday and Monday. How about a Wednesday night next year? That shouldn't conflict. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Excellent. Sounds like fun.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Aug '17

Thanks for the input Jim L! Yes, all of that is true. We have a great event lined up this year, with a few new cafes and restaurants too. Adding to the pricing - we also offer a full table of 10 option for $400. Updated list of restaurants:

Bea McNallys
Davids Country Inn
Enjoy Creperie
Frank’s Trattoria
Greene’s Beans
Hackettstown Health Foods
Harpers Bake & Bagel
James on Main
Main Street Cafe
Mamas & Cafe Baci
Marley’s Gotham Grill
Philly Pretzel Factory
Stella G's
Pandan Room
The Grove 
Wasabi

We also have a fashion show, cash bar, and "Captains of Leisure" performing at the dinner. If you'd like to attend, you may purchase tickets from our office at 219 Main Street, Hackettstown NJ 07840 or through Paypal on our website - http://hackettstownbid.com/2017/06/hackettstown-bid-host-autumn-lamplight-dinner-sept-11/

hktwnBID hktwnBID
Aug '17

The restaurants requested a Monday as it is their slowest day.

It is a great event! It has been growing every year. I love it. Meet friends. Buy a whole table and bring friends and make new friends. The food has always been excellent and no one ever complains they didn't get enough.

O highly recommend it.

infogirl infogirl
Aug '17

We've wanted to go every year and never make it. Hoping to do so this year.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '17

NFL Monday night games usually start ~ 9 pm. This event ends at 9 pm....so maybe you would miss 5-10 minutes of the game.....

Shelley Shelley
Aug '17

Shelley - Thanks, but here are two Monday night games Week 1. The first starts at 7 pm.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Tickets are going quick!! Make sure you visit our website to purchase your tickets before they are sold out:

http://hackettstownbid.com/2017/06/hackettstown-bid-host-autumn-lamplight-dinner-sept-11/

hktwnBID hktwnBID
Aug '17

Are monies from this Lamplight Dinner being donated to local 501c3 Charities? Just curious. Sounds like a lovely evening.

Pampurr Pampurr
Aug '17

No. This is not a fundraising event. Tickets prices go to covering the cost of the event.

Jim L Jim L
Aug '17

We went last and had a great time... anyone know what they do if it rains?

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Aug '17

Hey I just signed up - who's going? This will be my first time!

Not really sure what they were thinking when they scheduled the event for 9/11.
Can only hope that there is a moment of silence in remembrance.

mikeve mikeve
Sep '17

September 12 if it rains. Glad to have you coming Luca, we are now at capacity!

hktwnBID hktwnBID
Sep '17

mikeve - Do you really expect nothing to ever get scheduled on 9/11 again? It's great to remember, but don't forget that life has to move on. Do you wonder what people are thinking when the schedule something on 12/7 too?

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

Not really sure what they were thinking when they scheduled the event for 9/11.
Can only hope that there is a moment of silence in remembrance.
mikeve

With all do respect, 9/11 is not a Holiday. Schools, Stores, Sporting events, Businesses will all be open and operating under their daily schedules. So why should this event shut down? Outside of the Tri-State area 9/11 does not hold the same meaning as it does here. Even the invitees for the name reading ceremony in NY has dwindled over the years. I always say we all have lost loved ones at some point, be it Mother, Father, Wife, Husband, Child or anyone close. BUT do we shut our lives down for the day they passed? We reflex, and mourn in our own way, but our life goes on.

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '17

reflex SHOULD read reflect

Damn Harvard education lol

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '17

Clyde... The was wonderful worded!!! no college education here :)

LibertyThinker LibertyThinker
Sep '17

You are all correct. 9/11 and Dec 7th are not holidays and everybody remembers and mourns in their own way. I have taught my family never to forget,regardless as to what they are doing. To take a moment and remember all of the people that have lost their lives. Maybe time heals all wounds and people in time will forget. And maybe, we feel a little more deeply about this, because of the number of people in our family that have served in the military and some who have gave their lives for our country.

mikeve mikeve
Sep '17

Thank you Mikeve...Our family lost a beautiful young lady who would have been our future daughter in law on that day. Yes, life goes on but I would hope that not only the BID function tomorrow night but also the schools and individual homes would all take time out of their busy day tomorrow for a few moments of silence in remembrance of all who were lost on 9/11....We will never forget!

joyful joyful
Sep '17

"Glad to have you coming Luca, we are now at capacity!" Hmmm, I am trusting we are talking headcount and not eating abilities..... :>)

"reflex SHOULD read reflect" I think you hit the nail right in the knee jerk the first time. Nice subliminal texting.... :>) I went to Harvard too. Next time I might attend a class or two.

Yes, a better date could have been picked, what were they thinking.

"Outside of the Tri-State area 9/11 does not hold the same meaning as it does here." Exsqueeze me? Might want to dial this one back in that you really don't hold the judgement on remembrance. Wouldn't want to see you try that statement in Pensyltucky. But if you were correct, but you're not, but if you were, would not that make it all the more important to heed the date? I mean aren't we in the tri-state area (or is this Pensyltucky?)? Just saying.

I agree life goes on yet so does respectful remembrance. Two minutes at the beginning for folks to remember or maybe just say grace to themselves would be a good thing. Honor the past and have a great night!!!

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Sep '17

Could be just me but I am not able to find where to purchase tickets online for this. I went to the BID sight and it states "Available at participating restaurants, BID office & Paypal". No link to purchase via Paypal though. Am I missing something?

JB400 JB400
Sep '17

Their Facebook page says sales of tickets are closed. They are at full capacity and tickets are no longer available.

Oh, that stinks. Thanks for the info. I guess it is great that it is such a success though. Next time I have to get tix early.

JB400 JB400
Sep '17

We have sold more tickets than any prior year and actually sold out the event for the first time! I guess MNF was a non factor ;)

Jim L. Jim L.
Sep '17

Setting up the tables. We probably have enough space for about 10 tickets if you want to come JB400 and purchase them at the entrance

Jim L Jim L
Sep '17

I NEVER said nor implied that we should/do forget 9/11. One could have gone to the Name Reading Ceremony this morning, then attend the Lamplight event tonight, did they forget? As for my Tri-State comment yes I did forget to include that area of Pa. MY BAD.
I always say that people who use the term "Pensyltucky" have never been to nor have no knowledge of Philadelphia or Pittsburgh which are both in Pa. even more so living here.

Population : Pittsburgh 303,625
Philadelphia 1,567,872
Lexington, Ky 318,449
Louisville, Ky 755,000
Hackettstown 9,549

Sorry for going off topic, but just had to defend that I was not saying forget 9/11
Everyone enjoy the wonderful event that the BID is providing tonight

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
Sep '17

Just returned home from the Lamplight Dinner 2017 and it was wonderful! Great food, atmosphere, and music. There was also a moment of silence for 9/11.

Sport
Sep '17

I read Jim L's post a little late but took the chance and was able to purchase tix at the entrance. Well worth it too! You can tell a lot of thought and preparation went into this. The food was fantastic and represented by our diverse culinary establishments. The band was also a perfect fit for the event. Well done to the BID and I will be purchasing tickets in advance in future years. If you have not attended this in the past, you are missing out!

JB400 JB400
Sep '17

We always want to go but never seem to make it. JB400, you've pushed me to make sure we do it next year. Wondering if most that attend are part of larger groups or couples or singles go on their own. I always felt it would be more fun to be part of a larger group but I may have to rethink that.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '17

Glad you were able to get in and had a great time JB. This is probably my favorite event to volunteer for all year long. We have so many amazing restaurants that set us a part from other towns.

Thanks to all those that participated!

Jim L Jim L
Sep '17

Hackettstown Bid did another Great Job!

notafan notafan
Sep '17

Sounds like a fantastic time and lots of hard work to make it happen. So cool to sell out.

And yes, we have a nice group of great eateries now. Great breweries. I love evening sampling events. Best candy shoppe ever. Nifty bike shop. Someone else------ pick up the ball :>)

Keep it going BID, things are picking up.

Sep '17

Had an enjoyable time at the dinner last night! Lots of fun to taste all the different food including the new pizza place that is going to be where Mezza was. The band was amazing, loved the lights that were strung up & the fashion show! I had never tried Harper's bakery before - OMG so delish!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Jim L & Hackettstown BID!

Luca(work) Luca(work)
Sep '17

Bessie we had probably 10 groups of 10 that reserved an entire table. the rest was all made up of smaller groups or couples

Jim L. Jim L.
Sep '17

Ditto what Luca said!!
It was my first time and enjoyed everything thoroughly; can't wait for next year!

I hope I get to go next year. Sounds like it was a great time.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

If it weren't for how often I visit those places already, I would have been there too. If there is an HL group next year, I would be happy to join in.

I had 12 friends go this year. Unfortunately I am bedridden for a bit so this is the first I missed it. I have heard nothing but rave reviews. Just want to say to the BID Event Committee, I know its hard work and stressful but you guys did a great job. Sorry I couldn't help out this year.

infogirl infogirl
Sep '17

Has anyone heard anything regarding a 2018 Lamplight Dinner?! I don't want to miss tickets. Had a fantastic time last year!!

WashingtonTswp
Jul '18

There's a web page just for the Lamplight:

https://hackettstownbid.com/events/annual/autumn-lamplight-dinner/

Subscribe to the BID's emails and they announce events two months in advance, and then again a month before. Both the Lamplight and the Octoberfest have both been announced already.

The Hackettstown BID will host the Fifth Annual Autumn Lamplight Dinner Monday, September 10, from 6:00-9:00pm. Held in the parking lot along Moore Street, between Stella G’s and the firehouse, the Autumn Lamplight Dinner is a 21+ event that transforms the area into a magical outdoor courtyard, with guests sampling culinary specialties from Hackettstown restaurants representing diverse cuisines, from Italian to Thai/Indonesian to Latin American, Modern American to farm fresh.

Classic funk, rock, soul and blues group, Captains of Leisure, will perform for dining and dancing pleasure throughout the evening. Marley’s Gotham Grill will provide a cash bar.

https://hackettstownbid.com/2018/07/hackettstown-bid-to-host-5th-annual-autumn-lamplight-dinner-sept-10/

Tickets haven't officially gone on sale yet but if you email the BID they will make sure you are notified when they do. Looks like we have another nice group of restaurants participating again this year!

Jim L Jim L
Jul '18

Thank you!!

WashingtonTswp
Jul '18

Thanks for the info Jim. I might actually get to go this year. Will have to double check with the other half. Who really wants to watch a Jets/Lions game anyway? ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '18

Awesome!! Loved it last year!

Luca(cell) Luca(cell)
Jul '18

https://hackettstownbid.com/2018/07/hackettstown-bid-to-host-5th-annual-autumn-lamplight-dinner-sept-10/

Tickets are on sale for the 2018 Lamplight dinner. Monday Sept 10th. Last year we sold out so order yours before they're gone. List of restaurants participating continues to grow.

Jim L Jim L
Aug '18

Thanks for bringing this up Jim. I totally forgot to ask the other half. I will do that tonight.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '18

I don't see McDonald's on the list.... looks like my DQP/C will have to wait.

ianimal ianimal
Aug '18

Anyone going this year..I hear it’s always a nice event.

Bessie Bessie
Sep '18

Last week to buy tickets and it’s almost sold out. One of the best events of the year. Well worth it if you can make it

Jim L Jim L
Sep '18

I asked the other half about going and he made a face, so I guess we are out. :-(

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '18

List of restaurants so far. Plus cash bar of beer from the breweries

James on Main
Mama’s Cafe Baci
Enjoy Creperie
Marley’s Gotham Grill
Bea McNally’s Irish Pub
Pandan Room
David’s Country Inn
Greene’s Beans Cafe
The Grove
Hackettstown Health Foods
Philly Pretzel Factory
Harper’s Bake & Bagel

Jim L Jim L
Sep '18

LampLight Dinner is postponed until Monday September 17th. Same time, same place!

Sport
Sep '18

Looks like the weather is not going to cooperate to hold the dinner outside under the stars. So, looks like it will be held at Centenary University, in the gym. Someone please
correct me if I am wrong.

Sport
Sep '18

Yes the Lamplight dinner has been moved to inside the Centenary University Gymnasium.

Jim L Jim L
Sep '18

Thanks to all that attended and as always thanks for all the restaurants that participated.. It was a little different being inside the gym rather than outside but the turnout was still good and the food was amazing. Hopefully we get better weather next year and can hold it outdoors again.

Jim L Jim L
Sep '18

Great job to the BID and restaurants!

Sport
Sep '18

I see that the event is scheduled on the BID site for Monday, September 16th:
https://hackettstownbid.com/events/annual/autumn-lamplight-dinner/

Does anyone know which restaurants are participating so far? I went 2 years ago & it was a lot of fun!

Luca the BID is still finalizing the participating restaurants but if it’s like all the past years it will be just about every restaurant in town. It’s a great event and seems to grow each year. Last year the weather forced it indoors but there was still a great turn out of restaurants and patroons

Jim L Jim L
Jul '19

We are in this year! Can't wait.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '19

I signed up! Can't beat the discount of signing up in advance plus it was a lot of fun when I went 2 years ago & the band playing was spectacular!

glad you finally can make it this year Calico.

Jim L Jim L
Aug '19

Seems expensive but gets rave reviews year after year.

Aug '19

So if it gets rave reviews each year then one would assume the value of the event justifies the ticket price, no? And this is not a for profit event, the ticket prices after BID expenses are paid (tents, tables, bathrooms, band) go directly to the restaurants to cover their cost for the evening.

Jim L Jim L
Aug '19

Yes, that's what I was trying to say in my own misguided manner :>)

Aug '19

Got our tickets! Had to get in before the price bump. LOL

Who else is going?

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '19

"Early bird’ pricing is available until Friday, August 16th. Tickets are available at $40/person, $70/couple and $350/table. Please utilize the PayPal button below to purchase your ‘early bird’ tickets or stop by the BID office by Friday, August 16th to pay by check. The BID office is located at 219 Main Street."

Thanks for the reminder Calico. Early bird discounted pricing ends on Friday.

Jim L Jim L
Aug '19

Got my tickets!!! :)

It's tonight! It looks like the weather will be ok for it to be outdoors.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '19

Rain in the afternoon & then it should be OK for the dinner - fingers crossed!

Got there at 7 on the dot and there was little to no food left really disappointed for 40 dollars wouldn’t go again

Great job BID! Enjoyed a fun event with good food, excellent music, & a nice atmosphere with the way the tables were set up & the lights strung across the place. I like how organized the event was & the fact that there were people constantly ensuring the garbage was removed from the tables.

Some vendors were not fully prepared & did run out quicker than expected. Most of the beer was done before 7:30 & by then some vendors were already packed up & closed. I was a little surprised to see this considering the event goes on till 9 pm. This poor guy sat down at our table & didn't get much food as he got there late.

Some highlights for the food were: Soups on Main, David's Country Inn, Pandan, Topo, Hackettstown Health foods, Mama's, & Bea's slider were all really good. Loved the dessert from James on Main but they closed up very early as they ran out quickly.

Sounds like anyone who got there when some of the food had run out should be refunded money.

happiest girl
Sep '19

I too heard there was little to no food left at 7PM. We're the vendors not supplied with a head count for the event?

For $40.00 people expect to have a nice dinner.

We went last night as well. We were also surprised at how quickly some of the vendors ran out of food. Additionally, many of the items we tried were cold and the lines were really long. I'm not sure why there was one big line instead of having a line for each vendor.

We did enjoy the soup and sourdough bread from Soups on Main and the balsamic cheesecake from James on Main. I managed to snag the last half sour pickle from Kilhaney's, very tasty. The band was excellent.

It's a great idea for an event, but I don't think we will go again. Not really worth the drive for us.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '19

It appeared to me that the attendance was down from years past. Still a good turnout but a little lighter. With that said, I don't know why the vendors ran out of food so early as most should have gauged by the past years head count. They were running out of food within the first hour of the event. I thought the BID did a fantastic job coordinating, decorating, and setting up. It was a really nice event with great music. I don't know what is in this for the vendors other than exposer and a give back to the community but they have to understand that this is $40/pp which is $80 for a couple. Plus you have to pay for drinks. I am fine with paying for a nice night out with great entertainment to support the community but I feel like you were getting a few appetizers if you were one of the lucky ones within the first hour. There has to be value for your money or the attendance will drop. I would not want to see that. I think the vendors need to step up their game. Honestly, I think the best restaurant in town (James on Main) showed up with a cake and ran out. Im sorry but if you're going to do the event, then do the event. They would have been better off not showing at all. It just makes them look bad.
Also, if the event goes from 6-9, which is only three hours, then food should be plentiful, beer should be flowing, band should be playing, and tables should not be broken down until then.
Like I said, I think the BID did a great job but there should be some requirements set forth for the vendors that participate.

JB400 JB400
Sep '19

JB - I was also disappointed that James on Main did not have any actual "food", just dessert.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '19

The vendors need to step up their game! James on Main ran out of food last year as well. The BID does a great job organizing and setting up this event, but the vendors are letting everyone down, not all the vendors, but a few.

Sport
Sep '19

How is the food given out? If a person really likes something from Vendor A, can they keep on coming back for more or is there a limit or ticket system in place?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Sep '19

Agreed I’m calling for my money back what a joke of a night
Atmosphere 10-10
Food 0-10

Why is it always the restaurant's fault if they run out of food. How do they know how much and of what people are going to eat. It's not like they are at there own restaurant and can easily cook up some more food to serve. Your asking a food establishment to in some cases come in on a day that they are normaly closed. What do you want them to bring there whole kitchen with them. Why not just go to the different restaurants and see what they have to offer then you can have what ever you want to eat. As far as them running out of beer there are two breweries in town to get from and it shouldn't be an issue for whomever is doing the drinks to get more from there bar coolers.

Max - I'm sure the restaurants were made aware of the number of tickets sold by the BID. The event was from 6-9. If they ran out of food at 8:15, that would be one thing, but 7:00?

They had two beers on tap. One from Man Skirt and one from Czig. I'm not sure why they wouldn't have just brought a couple more kegs over. Maybe because it was donated? I'm not sure if the BID paid the vendors or if it was all donation. Maybe someone can clarify.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '19

I like the way you think. Not enough food, roll a couple kegs out :-)

Sep '19

Roll out the barrel......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF-5zBjEIDM

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '19

Now that’s fine dining music!

Sep '19

Maybe each participating restaurant was paid a flat fee and they in turn brought an equivalent quantity of food trays per their catering prices?

ianimal ianimal
Sep '19

Paging jim, paging jim —- there’s a swag on the play, what’s your ruling, Community Coach? Yea or nay on the fixed food tray qty.

And of course, James on Main would be mobbed.

My swag is they were having a promptness teachable moment. Bet you’re on time next year :-)

Sep '19

If this was the first year for this event I could buy the argument that the restaurant owners did not know, but this is the third year (maybe fourth?) and I would argue it was the lightest crowd. Definitely not the biggest or overwhelmingly more that they would run out of food by 7:00. Mostly the same restaurants as in years past. In any event, when you pay $80 per couple you expect to get what you paid for. Logistics are not really your concern as the consumer. I get that it's a community event and I love that about it. I am even ok with not getting my fair share but i really like this event and i think the BID does a great job so I would hate to see it go away when people stop coming.

JB400 JB400
Sep '19

As a volunteer of this event i don't know why the vendors ran out of food so early. That's never happened before. I know it is not a profitable event for the vendors and they have to order food specifically for this event. They get paid a portion of the ticket sales once the costs to run the event get covered so they are not making a profit and are lucky to break even on the event. Perhaps last year when it got delayed a week and then moved indoors resulted in the vendors ordering less food this year?

It will be discussed at the next event committee meeting and the BID will figure out what happened and how to fix it for next year.

It's one of my favorite BID events we run and a lot of work goes in to the planning as well as hours of setup and break down so i would hate for people to feel they didn't get their money's worth.

Jim L Jim L
Sep '19

Jim,
The BID did a wonderful job with the way the event was set up, how the tables looked, great service with cleaning the tables & garbage & I also like that there was a fancy port-a-john there to use! The band is wonderful as well.

I noticed 3 vendors who consistently had food when every other vendor was done - Soups on Main, Mama's, & David's Country Inn. Pandan/Topo had good food but they were constantly running out & had trays of food being run back & forth from their restaurant. It would be interesting & perhaps intuitive to the other vendors to learn how Mama's & David's were able to keep having hot food without running back to a kitchen. James on Main was disappointing as they were serving mostly fruit with a little cheese that was gone very quickly & some dessert - they were done by 7 pm!

Given the numbers and the randomness of said numbers selecting food; yeah, you can see where restauranteurs might get this one wrong. Hate to waste food too. Will be an interesting problem to work out.

"I know it is not a profitable event for the vendors and they have to order food specifically for this event." Well, Jim, why do they do it: community spirit? Or perhaps it is profitable when you consider the marketing and advertising future returns? Otherwise, community spirit aside, I doubt they would return.

"They get paid a portion of the ticket sales once the costs to run the event get covered so they are not making a profit and are lucky to break even on the event." You are probably right, however, this ain't necessarily a mathematic done-deal until you see what they get paid and what they spend. Certainly they made more money this year than last.....or at least the one's who ran out first stood a better chance to profit..... :>(

Perhaps as you figure out what's next, you want to run the actual numbers, get an estimate from the vendor's on costs ---- and try to come to a conclusion that, at least, gets to a small return for plenty of food without wasting food (unless you have a volunteer pantry ready). One suggestion: no matter what you decide, make a change to send the marketing message that next year will be different. Change the price, change the offer (pre-selected meals, samples, for example, perhaps a bad example, but just to describe "changing the offer."). Good luck and the best news is people still like it, even most of the one's that are still hungry.

And roll out the barrel !!

Sep '19

I emailed last night and was told I’ll get half off my tickets for next year ha! Wouldn’t waste my time for free.

That's terrible BID. How about refunding half the ticket price from this year?

"It would be interesting & perhaps intuitive to the other vendors to learn how Mama's & David's were able to keep having hot food without running back to a kitchen."

Mama's (Bello Giorno) and David's both have a lot more experience with catering buffet-style for a large crowd as they both operate wedding reception venues.

ianimal ianimal
Sep '19

Participating Resturant’s should look at this event as a promotion, showing off their culinary skills and working on developing new clientele.
“ running out of product” indicate small thinking (to me) on their behalf.
Evidently, James on Main , et al, are satisfied with their current seating counts and don’t need to develop new clientele.
Fine.
Got it.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '19

"Mama's (Bello Giorno) and David's both have a lot more experience with catering buffet-style for a large crowd as they both operate wedding reception venues."

Excellent point.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '19

Sounds like a Bummer Affair to me! $40 a person and little or no food ?? I agree with Stymie about promoting businesses. But Running out of food is Promoting? No it is Pathetic! Will definitely hurt Ticket Sales for next year big time!! It's a shame so many are disappointed for the Event Organizers have a Year to get things near perfect. The Music did sound good !!!!

For an event that loses money, offering 50% off tickets seems like an invitation for restaurants not to participate. Sort takes the bloom off the promotion rose.

Sep '19

Again, this was the first time there was an issue with shortage of food. Usually there is enough food for mulitple trips to each restuarants. the BID will figure out what went wrong and fix it for next year. This event also fell in between the BID's executive Director's retirement and the new Director's hire date so maybe that was a factor?

And Lion i wish the event committee had a full year to plan each event, but reality is we are lucky if we get a few weeks since there are so many events throughout the year.

Winterfest
St Patrick's Day parade
Springfest
Maifest
Outdoor Concert Series
Restuarant week
Lamplight Dinner
Street fair
Octoberfest
Scarecrow Contest
Hometown Holiday
...and then repeat

The BID is always looking for volunteers :)

Jim L Jim L
Sep '19

Glad I didn't attend this year. Please keep us posted as to the cause and rectification so I can consider it next year.

Charging people money for an event, and then Having it be a total bust is wrong. If people pay for something, they expect you to follow through with what they were told they were paying for. Fyre fest of Hackettstown. And of course, blaming it on the BID being so busy. Maybe the BID shouldn’t do so many things if they are too busy to do them in an orderly way. Not too busy to sell the tickets and collect the money though.

Navywavy
Sep '19

You have no idea what goes into all the things the BID does. I do not think blaming this on them is the right thing to do. The restaurants know how many people are coming to the event and should plan accordingly. As I stated in a prior post, James on Main has run out of food last year and again this year. I never got food from them last year because they ran out. The restaurants running out of food should not be blamed on the BID and Jim your saying it could have been because of the retirement of the Director is wrong. There needs to be more people coming out to help with these events! Most times there are only a few merchants at these events that they want to happen in town. You would think they would support these.

Sport
Sep '19

I think knowing what each restaurant will be offering would be a big plus (provided they bring enough food for everyone.....)
I myself have never gone because I don't know what -- if anything -- will be vegetarian.
Ditto for someone who might only eat fish but most of the food contains meat or chicken, as another example.
Provide a menu so people can buy tickets without hesitation.

happiest girl
Sep '19

Why not have a fixed menu, with elements furnished by each participating restaurant? Maybe even served, so portions are not so variable? Every diner gets the same multi-course meal, restaurants know in advance how much food they will need, and lines are eliminated. Diners can sign up for time slots and be served.

Spence Spence
Sep '19

For all of the years we have had this event, this is the first that I can recall this happening. That said, I am not sure why there is so mu ch "BID Bashing" here. I think the general consensus is that the BID did a fantastic job. The venue was setup nicely, the band was great as usual, ticket sales were great, moneys were collected, so many vendors were booked and setup locations established. There is so much that goes into this planning that appeared to go off without a hitch. The fail was 100% on some of the vendors. Most have done this before so they know what to expect. This is a great event that has been successful in the past. Recall how the BID reacted to the ad weather last year and responded by relocating to the college. Not an easy task. Let's not all bail after one miss that I don't think was the BIDs fault. I would hope the event is planned for next year and the community gives it another chance. I think it's worth it. And no, I don't work on the BID, just giving credit where credit is due.

JB400 JB400
Sep '19

just an FYI the recap event committee meeting is tomorrow at 5:30 at the BID office. it is open to the public so if anyone wants to attend to give their feedback, suggestions feel free to attend, the BID can always use more volunteers. :)

Jim L Jim L
Sep '19

JB. Thanks.

Sep '19

The 2020 Lamplight dinner is going virtual -
https://hackettstownbid.com/2020/09/autumn-lamplight-2020-is-going-virtual/

Sounds interesting! I didn't care for it last year as the food vendors ran out of food very early on in the event but this is different & looks fun.

I have always contended that within every challenge is an opportunity just waiting to be discovered.

Best luck on what sounds like a fantastic idea!!! Love your creativity and call to action.

If deemed appropriate, a Mrs. Harper moment/retrospective on the virtual night might be nice. Certainly a community spirit that added to our great eatery district. And we are great now!

1 week ago

Second that Luca I’m still annoyed about leaving hungry last year no thanks

It would seem this program solves the issues of supply. You call and order the take out special of your choice. You don't waste money on what you don't want either since you're buying only what appeals to you.

It's not a social get together any more, but otherwise I like it better.

"It's not a social get together any more, but otherwise I like it better."

There's nothing to stop you from arranging a MS Teams meeting with a few friends for some conversation while you eat, is there?

ianimal ianimal
1 week ago

Great idea! Maybe even inform what Restaurants/dishes will be offered ahead of time and take an interest survey. It won't be 100% but must be difficult for these businesses to plan what supplies they will need. It would give them some idea.

hktownie hktownie
1 week ago

I agree. List the restaurants and the menu for each. People can let them know what they will be ordering. That way, the restaurants won't run out of food, but also won't over-prepare. We don't want them at a loss.

happiest girl
1 week ago

Order, pay ahead, good. Curbside pickup, better.

The challenge is the opportunity to make more, no waste, really safe, lots of fun.

1 week ago

What a joke. No thanks.

Calico696 Calico696
1 week ago

As I have been saying; in every challenge, there is an opportunity. And as far as challenges, this is nothing compared to CA, OR, or Louisiana.

Would an alternative be “no thanks” or business as usual? One is a zip and the other low attendance and self-centered.

One thing is certain; we are not going back to either the 50’s or even 2018. Like 9/11, we will never forget, forgive or ever be the same.

I choose to see the joy in the creative response and the drive to sally forth boldly into the future. Hats off to the organizers and if I can get curbside pickup, I am only too glad to order early, and might even show my virtual face.....wowset!

1 week ago

Restaurants are hurting; I don't see anything comical in that. If I were still local, I would definitely participate, just as I make a point to order from one of my local restaurants once each week.

No offense, of course.., still love ya, Calico... hope you and Horatio are doing well. Take care...

ianimal ianimal
1 week ago

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Annual LampLight Dinner
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.