Any local police wearing body cams?

Any local police wearing body cams? And, if not should they be?

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jul '17

I personally can't think of a controversial interaction with the Hackettstown police in any internet or news item. I think they are all very professional and courteous in any interaction I have had with them. I think all this will do is raise our taxes for very little benefit.

Could save the town money in case of a false allegation. Could also save the reputation of our officers from that same issue. I believe it would be helpful for them and money well spent.

Kelly77 Kelly77
Jul '17

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/directiv.htm

Read guideline 2015-1 (attorney general guideline about body worn cameras)

Part of the reason for the non implementation is the strict guidelines put on the cameras specifically regarding when they need to be turned on and off dependant on the situation at hand. This gives the officer one more thing to think about while trying to stay safe, protect the public and conduct a professional and positive experience with the public, suspect, victim. So issue number one is the burden placed on the officer while conducting his duties.

Secondly the burden placed on smaller Police Departments to redact the faces of victims and other innocent parties would be the creation of another position for the township which is a very hard thing to do with the 2% cap on property taxes. This would literally make a full time job for even a smaller PD like the locals in northwest NJ.

Those not involved in public service may not recognize how big of a factor the 2 above critiques are but they create quite a burden on the individual officer and township in smaller areas. I think if you saw the Attorney General ammend the guidelines; more PD's would jump on board. I think you would be hard pressed to find an officer whom didn't want one. It's the perfect tool to explain why the officer reacted the way he did.

Greener Pastures
Jul '17

Long valley police wear recording devices but no cameras.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Jul '17

Several Morris county departments wear them. I know, I helped implement some of the computer systems back in the offices.

Crazyunicycler Crazyunicycler
Jul '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.