Hackettstown ROCKS

A group has been started in Hackettstown called Hackettstown ROCKS. You may have heard of other towns and areas where the objective is to create and hide rocks around town with the purpose of leaving the rocks as gifts and hopefully be rehidden for other people to join in on the fun.

If you would like to follow the ROCKS, join our facebook group, search for Hackettstown ROCKS and join us! You can be a bystander, or feel free to collect rocks, or start painting and hiding.

This is totally for fun and a great way to get people's creative eye going, get people outdoors and searching, and to discover parts or businesses you've never seen before.

Happy rock hunting!

Hackettstown ROCKS Hackettstown ROCKS
Jun '17

First Pokemon go and now this? Someone should start a group called "people are as dumb as ROCKS". Humanity is doomed...

LJRubi LJRubi
Jun '17

LJRubi, everyone has their own ideas of fun. It is a great way to meet new people and it does no harm to anyone. Why do you care, if it is not your cup of tea than don't participate. No need to be mean. There are FAR worse things people could do in your community.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Jun '17

I prefer geocaching.

mohepinoke mohepinoke
Jun '17

Getting your rocks off. Hmm, couldn't help it. Happy Friday.

Dateline: Hackettstown. Man shot for stealing rock from front yard.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '17

Lj. You are the dumb one lol. If you don't want to take part that is fine but this is a cute idea especially for children and it's free.

cat lover cat lover
Jun '17

If it encourages people to be aware of their surroundings and look for something in the real world, rather than making a nuisance of themselves wandering around obliviously staring at their phone... then I'm all for it.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '17

Sounds like you use your phone to hunt rocks..

Bug3
Jun '17

"If it encourages people to be aware of their surroundings and look for something in the real world, rather than making a nuisance of themselves wandering around obliviously staring at their phone... then I'm all for it."

Well said! LOL

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

Re: Hackettstown ROCKS

I found one today. It put a smile on my face and I hope to pass it on to someone else tomorrow. Thank you for starting it in Hackettstown.

Cherie Cherie
Jun '17

It sounds like "Found Art". I don't believe the organization exists any more, but my late sister in law did that. An article about it and her was in USA Today about 15 years ago:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/life/2003-07-28-found-art_x.htm

I just recently heard about this and was trying to find out if anyone did this by us. Glad someone started a group.

Sunshine Sunshine
Jun '17

Sounds like fun! I'm going to have my nephews paint up some rocks and start having a blast.

laughalittlemore laughalittlemore
Jun '17

Now that I see what the "Hackettstown ROCKS" actually means, or is getting at, I thought it was pretty cool, since I was already working on an "indoor positive message" idea, where certain items are placed randomly for people to find.

Go Rock on;-)

Phil D. Phil D.
Jun '17

There is a Morris County Rocks on facebook if anyone would like to join also. :)

Icicle Icicle
Jun '17

This is also very much like geocaching which is a great activity for kids.

ASfromBklyn ASfromBklyn
Jun '17

We have done this two evenings with my 4 year old grandson, one evening looking ,finding and re hiding and tonight hiding ones he painted. he is loving it!

hackettstown wife hackettstown wife
Jun '17

We are so happy this group is taking off! We reached 300 members today! Vicky at Art du Jour, on Main Street has been nice enough to let us paint our rocks for FREE at her studio! How amazing is that?! She also has a sealer for the rocks in case you decide to seal them!

ROCK on!! <<-- haha love that!!

Hackettstown ROCKS Hackettstown ROCKS
Jun '17

Found a rock this evening!

hickory dog hickory dog
Aug '17

Found a rock in the pocket garden on Main Street beside my house ... I took it and placed it elsewhere for someone else to enjoy. Then found another one and did the same thing.. An earthly piece of art for someone to discover and enjoy...just for a moment is a simple way of bringing strangers together... Who knows? You might get a big Smile And a Hello.... Because they found The Rock you placed elsewhere.. Screw the controversy Hackettstown... Lighten up and Shine On

Shaddogs Shaddogs
Aug '17

The kids are LOVING this! I work with high school students and they want to paint a bunch and hide them for the younger kids. Let's keep this going! Something fun for yh kiss to do....they are away from a screen and are outside....you can't beat that!!! The kids in Washington and Phillipsburg are doing this too.

Living life boldly.. Living life boldly..
Aug '17

*the kids.....sorry. sometimes I have no control over my typing skills...lol

Living life boldly.. Living life boldly..
Aug '17

Saw one "floating" around Warren Street a month or so ago. Did not know what it was all about. What a fun idea!! Love i!

An awesome activity!! You are getting some exercise while out in the fresh air. I will be going out today searching.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Aug '17

Unexpectedly found 2 at Centenary this morning, they made my day!!

Donna Hughes Donna Hughes
Oct '17

I found one in Stephens State Park a few weeks ago and left it for the next adventurer.

4catmom 4catmom
Oct '17

Are people still doing this? I think it's a great thing but the facebook page doesn't have much posted anymore.

Sunshine Sunshine
Nov '17

My son painted that bee one! I never saw this thread til now. How fun!

Sunshine, I guess everyone is busy due to school and maybe not outside as much with the weather getting colder. I wouldn't mind hiding rocks again though.

melissa c melissa c
Dec '17

I saw one at the hospital yesterday. Very similar to the one from Centenary pictured above only it was give someone a compliment.

I found a ladybug one up in Cooperstown, NY last weekend. Brought it back to NJ to leave for someone else.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '17

Glad to see people are still hiding them. Your son did a great job Melissa. GC I know one lady on the facebook page hides by the hospital. That's cool Calico I love when rocks travel ;) I have hid a bunch even in the cold. It always brings a smile to my face when I go back and it's gone.

Sunshine Sunshine
Jan '18

I spotted this one in Riverfront Park today - and left it for the next adventurer

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '18

What a pretty rock with a good saying!

Sunshine Sunshine
Jan '18

I found a painted rock yesterday at Mackeys Farm. No idea why, but it made me so happy! The bottom says to take a picture and post it on Berks County Rocks.

Bessie Bessie
May '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.