Woman in Allamuchy and Hackettstown begging for money

Hi all. Just wanted to make everyone aware of an elderly woman in a black Hyundai Sonata going around the convenience stores asking for money under the guise of desperation for food for her or her dogs among other things like food for herself. In reality, she is using it to buy alcohol and cigarettes.

I was parked near 7-11 in allamuchy on Sunday and she came up to my car and was crying asking for $5 to buy food for her dog. She went into detail about how her husband died and the dog is all she has. I, a sucker for the animals, took pity on her and gave her the money. We left 7-11 and went to quick check and there she was. She came out with cigarettes. I approached her asking where the dog food was. She said the cigarettes were for someone else. She walked away and a man in a car next to me said that she was just at the liquor store begging for money and that she has scamming others like this for a while. I found out later that day my son and his father have also been approached by her asking for money. I don't mind helping someone but she is scamming people and lying to get money from strangers. I barely have money for my family as my husband has been seriously ill but have empathy for others in need.

I also realized why she used needing food for her dog. I have animal friendly plates on my car, which she could see for quite some time while walking toward me, so I am clearly an animal lover. She was crying and begging and say "god bless you" over and over while holding a religious medal of a saint. It's very sad.

I should have told her I will run in to 7-11 and buy the dog food for her. But hindsight is 20/20 and she caught me off guard. Especially with the crying and dog starving line.

She's very good at what she does. Please be wary everyone.

Allamuchy Heather Allamuchy Heather
Jun '17

You got off cheap. She asked me for $20. Being more suspicious, I declined. That was in Hackettstown. As I was parking my car, she pulled into the parking lot & came over to me immediately and asked for $$. When I declined, she got back in her car & left.

Simple- call the cops.

Get plate number and call either Hackettstown police or state police what she is doing is clearly illegal

Roadbiker Roadbiker
Jun '17

They say never offer money but if you want to help buy them food yourself and give to them

Nosila Nosila
Jun '17

I was wondering if what she is doing is illegal. I honestly don't know. But If the police do nothing about her I wanted everyone to know so they don't have this happen to them.

I agree now, Nosila. I think I was just surprised and felt bad for her.

Jun '17

We were at the Vanilla Market in Allamuchy, a week ago on Sunday. She was there when we came out and also asked for money for dog food. She Really Freaked out my son.

We just left and thought she was daft. Should have called 911 but didn't know it was such a scam. She was scary looking, I have to say.

Mom with Kids Mom with Kids
Jun '17

My daughter gave her $15.00 (she heard "dog" and that was it). This happened in the parking lot of quick check on Main St. My daughter was going into Wasabi to pick up a take-out order when the woman came up to her just as she was exiting her car.

Before we knew about my daughter, my husband gave her $5.00 (sucker), in the same lot but down by Shoprite liquors when he was on his 6-pack run. She is very convincing (or my family is just especially gullible).

Heidi Heidi
Jun '17

I was scammed once at Walmart. Same story different woman. She needed money for diapers so I thought I was slick and said okay I'll buy you a package of diapers. Later on my way out I saw her at customer service returning them for the cash. Even so, thanks for the warning because I probably would have been suckered again!

Mhm i wonder if this was the lady I saw yesterday. I went to the ATM at Fulton Bank in town and there was this lady walkig in the parking lot and went up to the ash trays infront of the building and gathered all these cigarette butts and put them in a cigarette pack and walked away.. absolutely disgusting

happy12 happy12
Jun '17

A Fool and his money are soon parted

ghost ghost
Jun '17

Has anybody reported her to the Police?

Mom with Kids Mom with Kids
Jun '17

I haven't reported her but I will Now that I know it's illegal.

I suppose I like to believe that others are sincere and it's ok to lend a helping hand. Not sure if that is being a fool. Gullible, yes. I couldn't do it to anyone so I naively believe others couldn't as well.

Jun '17

This same woman same car yelled out to me (Oh Miss!!!) and then I stopped and spoke to her last week in a parking lot in Independence on 517. She had tears in her eyes. She asked for $10- $15 for dog food, bread and milk. I've been scammed before and am a very soft touch, but I had a gut feeling and told her I carry no cash, yet I felt bad anyway for being so cynical. A few days later I mentioned this to an employee at the laundromat on Stiger street and she told me this same woman had approached her and others in the parking lot last year.

Chickadee mobile Chickadee mobile
Jun '17

It's a shame that there are those that prey on the good nature of others. This woman is quite elderly too. In her 80's. That made me feel even more willing to help. I know many elderly in our area have a hard time making ends meet.

She's GOOD, though. She could be an actress!

Jun '17

I was sitting at a table outside the Panther Pub a week ago Sunday with my sister and my niece and we were approached by the same lady. It was the same story that she needed food for her dog. My sister gave her money since we felt very uncomfortable and she caught us off guard . She then walked into the parking lot towards the 7-11 direction.

She was very good Heather ! She acted so surprised and grateful and went on and on about how nice we were and how blessed we would be. We figured we were being scammed but it was not a lot of cash if she really did need it. We did feel sorry for her.

BrandyB BrandyB
Jun '17

I'm certainly not condoning her actions, but maybe she needs psychiatric help and maybe she's struggling to survive on just an SS check? I dont know. Perhaps Social Services can get involved or The Dept of Aging?

positive positive
Jun '17

Or you could all simply consider it a tip for a bravura performance...and leave it at that. Did anyone get hurt? At worst it gave you all a good story to tell. Seems to me there are lots of bigger fish to fry.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

I heard someone near the Panther Valley Mall talking about her. They stated she begged for money then went in the 7-11 and bought lottery tickets. It doesn't seem like she is using the money for food or pet food. Maybe someone should call the police. I would think they would not allow this to continue and maybe get her the help she needs.

karen303 karen303
Jun '17

Yankee and Positive- I'm sorry, but F that. Call the cops!!

Dishonest is dishonest- lies and thievery if even by those less fortunate are wrong and deserve punishment.

Even if she is elder and on limited income- there are other ways.

There's nothing to be ashamed of about helping someone that you thought was in need. Better to help and find it wasn't needed than harden your heart and turn away those that do. The way I see it, if someone like that is so desperate and so without self-respect that she would run such a scam - well, if I'm out a few bucks because of it I'm already way ahead since I would never resort to that.

Not everything is about crime and punishment.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jun '17

If I called the police on every person who was dishonest we'd all be in jail (except of course you, Josh). Is she breaking into cars or houses? Threatening anyone? Sounds like her worst crime is making people feel stupid.
I commuted from PV to Battery Park for 20 years...trains, PATH, subway. This is pretty tame stuff.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

Quite possibly this is someone who's not even local and works an area for a few weeks and then moves on. She's a real pro who conjurs up tears and has a great spiel. At the time, we are caught off guard. I say this because last year she was reported to be in this area too. By the time folks begin to catch on she's gone.

Chickadee mobile Chickadee mobile
Jun '17

PT Barnum comes to mind....

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

I have a really good idea. Anytime this lady asks anyone for money, tell her that many of the churches in the area have food pantries (including Trinity UMC) and they would be happy to help her. Then, walk away. Don't let her continue with her sob story. Tell her that and walk away. It's great to help people in need, but there are many people out there who prey on the kind-hearted. Also - has anyone tried reporting her to the police?

Zelda837 Zelda837
Jun '17

I understand your point, Yankeefan but she is harassing many people and while there are many other larger things to be concerned with, she has preyed upon many people if this post has received so much response. If we keep ignoring the small stuff they eventually turn into larger issues. She seems like a pro. If the cops investigate her then they can see if she does truly need help and give her or point her in the right direction.

Jun '17

We really don't know her situation nor do we know a homeless person's situation.

To most of the above, it's nothing but assumption, of course for the worse.

If I gave this person $20 I don't care how she spends it, whether it be a pack of smokes or a cheap bottle of gin.

If I were in that situation I'd certainly need the gin and smokes just to get by.

Myself and including many many others are not immune to being in this horrible situation.

No prejudging from me.

positive positive
Jun '17

Why do you think begging is illegal? Peddling without a license IS illegal, bet begging?!
- Positive, well, if this woman'd approach you saying that she needs your money for food, but, later buys the sigs, how would you feel then?

Positive,
I feel the same way. No judgement . It's very sad no matter what she spends it on. Nobody is exempt of facing hard times . In general, who even knows where official charities dispense their full funding. Charity starts in the home and I feel that means our neighborhood also.

Happymom Happymom
Jun '17

Thank you Happymom. The average monthly Social Security check is a little over $1,000 a month, if there is no pension involved..how is one to survive?

positive positive
Jun '17

If it's who I think you're describing, she is a local, an older woman who lost her husband some years ago. Based on my interactions with her, she's hardly the criminal mastermind that she's being portrayed as by some on this thread. She's a nervous, somewhat fearful lady who lives alone with her dogs (two the last I heard), and has limited means. And yes, she also has a cigarette habit.

If it is who I'm thinking of, I'm surprised she has started approaching people in the ways described above, and wonder if it's an indication that her financial situation has become more difficult. I'm even more surprised at the wild speculation about her in this thread. I'm neither going to endorse nor criticize her actions, in the absence of all the facts involved. As for her actions being illegal - you may find that her requests for money are actually protected free speech.

Shutterbug Shutterbug
Jun '17

Anyone have a description of the woman other then the car?? I wanna be on the look out. Thanks!

Angelina White Angelina White
Jun '17

How about if some contacts social services vs. the police.

A crime to be in need ?

We will all ( with the grace of god ) live to be this age and not have these issues to deal with.

Steven Steven
Jun '17

"I'm even more surprised at the wild speculation about her in this thread."

Surprised? In this day and age? Nope.

justintime justintime
Jun '17

I have never seen this woman nor do I know anything about her situation. I don't believe I would hand out money to someone though. I think I would try to get more details about her situation first......then maybe offer to buy the dog food, offer to buy her lunch or some groceries, etc...I also think I would look at the fact that she has a car, smoking cigs, has pets, etc...to mean she is not as bad off as she's claiming to be. Sometimes in life our circumstances change for the worse and you have to adjust your lifestyle to accomodate those changes. I see many people that don't pay their rent, or other bills yet they continue eating out, buying scratch off tickets, shopping online, etc... I'm not saying this is the case with this woman, but it sounds like instead of trying to change things to improve her situation she has turned begging into her daily job.
There are many people out there that truly need help. These people can't afford a car, pets, or smoking/drinking habit.

It's taking advantage of the good nature of people and lying and crying to get what she wants, or needs. I gave her money even though that was just about MY last $5. I took pity on her and put my own needs aside (not very smart of me) to help a stranger. I will be honest. I have no money myself. This is what bothers me. I cannot currently even feed my family or pay basic bills. I have been to food banks and am lucky enough to have family close by to help as much as they can. My husband has been constantly in the hospital and has been unable to work steadily. I was in that parking lot on Sunday so my husband could get blood glucose strips at the pharmacy. We all have our own personal situations but she lied to get cigarettes while there are others, in addition to me, that need money for food or electricity and won't even beg others for it. It's not for others to fund my life. I literally have a handful of change and an empty bank account. Now maybe you can understand my anger at the situation. I felt that she was worse off than me and she buys cigarettes after lying right to my face and looking me in the eyes. I told her to tell me the truth. I asked if it really is for dog food. She said she swears it is. Then I see her car at quick check so I pulled in to see what she walks out with and lo and behold, it's cigarettes.

I posted personal info about my situation but please understand I am not looking for pity nor am I looking for a hand out. I wanted to stress my point to others that think this is trivial and ok for her to continue this behavior.

If you find fault in what I said, I apologize.

Jun '17

I agree, JRT. Well put.

Jun '17

I really don't think an 80 year old woman will be able to change her situation..sadly as baby boomers age this will be come more common

Bug3
Jun '17

"Sometimes in life our circumstances change for the worse and you have to adjust your lifestyle to accommodate those changes. I see many people that don't pay their rent, or other bills yet they continue eating out, buying scratch off tickets, shopping online, etc.."

Words of wisdom right there. When situations change, you need to do what you have to do.

I hear utter nonsense all the time at my local bar. People whining about not being able to pay their rent or mortgage, having bald tires on their car etc. All this while sitting at the bar, playing with their iPhone, drinking beers and shots and talking about what tattoo they are going to get next. Sigh.....

If this woman can be helped by social services, that would be great. Personally, I wouldn't give her any money. I would buy her some dog food though, if she would allow it.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

I'm sorry for your circumstances Allamuchy Heather. I truly hope things improve for you and youf husband. You are a wonderful person for helping another person when you are not in the position to do so.

Exactly Calico!!! Drives me crazy and I also see it all of the time....

My elderly, well-intentioned, and formerly well-off Uncle was taken to the cleaners by a woman exactly like this. She fed him story after story about starving children (who didn't exist), a lawsuit where she fell and settled and a check was due in the mail but hasn't arrived yet (which didn't happen), a dog who needed a vet visit (who didn't exist), and over the course of a year she took my Uncle for everything he had. It wasn't until my mother told me about it that I exposed the woman for the scammer she was that it finally came to an end. She and her brother were poor, uneducated desperate people flitted around from one hotel room to the next, one scam to the next, one VICTIM to the next. After I called the police and they went to talk to her, she upped and disappeared. On to the next victim.

She took him for close to $10,000. And she did it twenty bucks at a time.

I ABSOLUTELY DESPISE this.

Jenny Jenny
Jun '17

I think the key thing to remember when helping someone that is a stranger (even sometimes when it's not a stranger) is that you could be getting scammed. I personally have a hard time saying no to someone especially if I know they have children.

I personally would not give someone cash, if they truly need food I would offer to buy them something to eat.

You also have to remember that not everyone is truthful and that your kindness could be taking advantage of. Unfortunately, after so many times of that happening when someone who really needs your help asks, you might be not be willing to do so.

Regarding this woman, I am guessing she might have a problem. Maybe a drinking problem or mental illness, I don't know but regardless it's still very sad.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Jun '17

Knowing that she is driving herself around to ask for money, i am more concerned if she has car insurance. No money for dog food, in my mind, equals no money for a car or more importantly car insurance. If she hurts or kills anyone, guess what? I would not encourage this behavior.

justwondering justwondering
Jun '17

Clearly this woman is scamming people and they are allowing it. I don't believe age should be an issue. I would hate to hear that she was scamming like the woman Jenny spoke of.
I have no respect for someone like this. I would definitely report her to the police along with a list of places where she awaits her next victim. No I'm not cold hearted. I make a large number of donations every year to a variety of non-profits........and I would certainly help someone who is really in need. This woman is just a scammer.

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '17

She's got a car, presumably can afford registration, gas, insurance, has a place to live, pets, can afford to smoke and play the lottery, etc. Probably laughing all the way to the bank at the suckers she cons every day. I remember the segment on 60 minutes or one of those show about people like this who rake in hundreds of dollars a day, tax free. They interviewed them. I'll help anyone truly in need, and do often. I have regular donations to charities in my paycheck. This is just a scam artist playing people, sorry. Don't even buy the dog food or whatever, like others said, she'll just return it for cash to spend on her habits.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation Allamuchy Heather. I hope things get better for you.

positive positive
Jun '17

She got $10 from my husband after she stared us down for about 5 minutes while we were meeting others in the parking lot at Panther Valley Mall. I asked her if she needed medical help because she was shaking and crying. That's when she asked for 'just $10 for bread and milk, and a can of dog food'. My husband didn't get my hint when I said I had no cash on me, but honestly - it was only $10 and we were leaving one of our vehicles there. Who knows if she was working alone, right? What if we came back to a vandalized vehicle? Though, I didn't think about the vehicle at the time, I really fell for the tears and the dog story. I know some folks who really had to resort to such means just to get back to their home, and they paid it forward. So what, I got scammed. It was $10. I kind of figured it was really for cigarettes - she probably uses the nicotine shakes to her advantage. And she drove an older Hyundai. It's not like it was a beemer or a benz. I've seen folks beg for money on go fund me. It's doubtful that they were using a library computer to create the page - so they clearly had money for their smart phone! It's sad that her money went to cigarettes and alcohol...it would be ideal for her to get help from a charitable organization...which is hard to find when you feel like you are at the end of your rope. Clearly she wanted to dull the pain. I realize this comment has no point...except to add to the tally of her successful panhandling.

10yrtownie 10yrtownie
Jun '17

I'm sorry, but I work 40 hours per week, have a college degree and I make as "little" as some people that receive the high end amount of ssi or ssdi. My bills amount to an entire 2 week pay check and I'm leftover with my other 2 week paycheck that I use for food and other normal expenses/everyday expenses.

This woman is clearly scamming many individuals around town and using the money that is given to her to purchase alcohol and cigarettes. The fact that she is doing it so frequently is also alarming. If she went in and purchased a sandwich or the actual dog food she is claiming that she needs, maybe this would ring a different tune. I like to enjoy a nice bottle of wine every now and then, but guess what? most times cannot afford it because I PRIORITIZE my spending.

I would also like to note that many people who receive ssi or ssdi and do not live with family also qualify for partially paid or fully paid housing. I suggest that if people are approached, they let her know that they are aware of the game she is playing and that they plan on contacting the police so they can evaluate the situation and see if she needs any services that are available throughout our community. I would also suggest referring her to a food bank, there are 2 in town I believe - and several throughout warren county. Food banks would be able to provide a good amount of food along with pet food too!. Could also suggest going to social services in belvidere to apply for food stamps (which she might even have already).

flwrpwr flwrpwr
Jun '17

Wow I can't get over how many people she has scammed that post on here.......can you imagine how many she's scammed all together????

Short story, i'd been helping out a homeless man years ago. he was talked about on here and he really was a nice man. One day, a few days after i gave him some cash......I saw him at a gas station conv. store buying lottery tickets. At first I was like WTF. then I thought the minute I gave him the money it was no longer mine and it was his to do with as he pleased........Now I didnt give him anymore money but thinking about it that way made it easier on me. I mean otherwise I could have let it drive me nuts thinking about how dare he buy lottery tickets instead of food or whatever....I have to learn to let things go and that's how I let that go........once i gave it to him it was no longer mine and he could do with it as he pleased.

Thanks for the tip on this lady.......I'll be sure to grab a can of dog food to give her!

littlelu littlelu
Jun '17

I think I know who this is. She hangs around the speedymart on 517 (by liquor store/Sonny's etc) and plays scratch offs. I'll sometimes go to speedymart for something at random times throughout the day and she's in there frequently just scratching away. Does she have a very horse voice like she's smoked for years?

Consigliere
Jun '17

Yes, Consigliere. That's her.

I'm very saddened by the amount of people she has scammed. There are many many people in this current economy that are having a very hard time even trying to make ends meet and many aren't even able to.

I would give my last dollar to help someone truly in need for survival. But I gave what was almost my last $5 to someone that lied and cried to make a sucker like me take pity.

I'm sorry for others that have given their hard earned money ($5 can be a big deal for some). I hope the active nature of this post will help others as many of you are now wise to her actions.

Jun '17

What does she look like? I think someone said elderly? So white/gray hair?

Yes. She has short hair. I believe it's white. It could be white and gray. She definitely looks and sounds like a smoker. She also looks and acts like she may have an alcohol problem. She was pretty decently dressed when she came up to us. Her black Hyundai had a spare tire on the front passenger. It's pretty easy to spot that unless she has since gotten a new tire. The car isn't brand new but it's also not very old. She also used a lot of "May God bless you" and similar religious comments. Other than that, I don't remember anything else because it happened so fast and took me off guard.

Jun '17

Oh ok...I was just curious. I haven't seen her yet, but I rarely go into convienence stores.

Yea don't give her money she plays lots of scratch offs, buys beer, and cigarettes with the money

BhavikWineCountry BhavikWineCountry
Jun '17

If she's doing this in store parking lots, and it's a store anybody frequents, I wonder if saying something to the store manager might be a way to deter her? I mean, if I was accosted every time I walked into the local Krauzers, I'd for sure tell the guy GET RID OF THAT TRASH IN YOUR PARKING LOT!

Ugh, this makes me so sad. Heather, you've hit my heart strings. I was angry about it all earlier, now I'm sad.

Jenny Jenny
Jun '17

Don't be sad, Jenny. It's a bad thing she is doing but there are more people wise to her now so maybe this behavior will result in her giving up taking advantage of people.

Jun '17

She was at Quik Chek on Stigler St. And asked me for $20 for dog food and food.. If she had asked for a couple of dollars I would have forked them out. Soon after I looked for her to tell her about Lord's Pantry but she was gone

Ragdoll Ragdoll
Jun '17

Just saw her leaving Mattars. Got into a chauffeur driven Bentley. Cigarette in her mouth and looked a little tipsy.
She's better than Leo in Catch Me if You Can.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

LMAO Yankeefan!

I would take Bhavik's advice above. He runs the liquor store in the Crossroads Plaza, so he probably sees her all the time.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

Hello everyone, I had the unfortunate pleasure of selling her that Black Sonata, She begged for money for her and her dog. So after she bought the car I spent 150 dollars on groceries for her and her dog, I am a good Christian, and a sucker for people and animals that are starving. A week later she said she needed 20 dollars for her prescription, I told her that I would charge it for her, she said that wouldn't work, so I gave her the 20 knowing full well she would use it for Cigarettes. Several weeks ago I saw her walking out of the Quick Check, I asked the girls inside why she was there. They told me that she had just won 500 dollars. In addition she owed most of the employees there money. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me

JOHN BLAZIER JOHN BLAZIER
Jun '17

John, how much did you sell it to her for?.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Jun '17

Someone should follow this lady home, maybe she lives in a big ole house, maybe she can down size. These are some pretty terrible stories in this thread for sure.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
Jun '17

She has a penthouse off Central Park. She drives her Sonata to Allamuchy because the pickings are good. Then off to Per Se for a
champagne cocktail and escargot. Sleeps in satin sheets and plans her next Hackettstown scam strategy. Why scam Far Hills or Mountain Lakes when this area is so fruitful?

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

Oh John! That is awful! I'm so sorry that has happened to you. I hope that all the attention this thread is getting will help to put an end to the disgraceful behavior.

You did a good thing though. Had she been an honest person, your help would have done her a great service. Don't stop being that kind person it seems you are. There are honest people that truly need help. we can't let bad seeds like this lady make us cynical.

Jun '17

That woman approached me outside of the Stiger St. Quick Check asking for dog food money. I truly did not have any cash and offered to BUY it for her with my debit card. She refused saying they didn't carry the brand her dog liked. That's when I knew it was a scam. From this thread, I guess you would have to agree that she's persistent.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Jun '17

This angers me to no end. SHE is the reason that many people who truly need help don't get it. Charitable people become jaded and suspicious after getting burned. How can anyone say no harm no foul? If people like her didn't swindle, lie and cheat than I guarantee folks would be more open with their wallets and those that really did need help would get it.

Jazzykatt Jazzykatt
Jun '17

80 year old people in her situation are usually too crazy to dwindle anyone..she is probably just trying to survive

Bug3
Jun '17

If she is trying to survive, why the lottery tickets? Food, water, a home are needed to survive. I would like an extra $20 to spend foolishly but I have priorities like food, water etc.

justwondering justwondering
Jun '17

So many BS bleeding hearts on here. YOU ALL KNOW YOU WOULD NOT GIVE THIS WOMAN MONEY. You would ignore her...look at your phone to avoid eye contact...rush whatever you are doing to get back in your car. Stop coming on here acting holier than thou. I don't care what her real situation is the fact of the matter is that she has made this behavior a habit when there are plenty of other options available (shelters, food banks, government assistance etc.). She should be not bothering/harassing people due to her misfortune.

HLamusesme HLamusesme
Jun '17

It's textbook scam.

Jenny Jenny
Jun '17

Can you post a link to that textbook?

Bug3
Jun '17

It's the textbook of common sense, which unfortunately so many people lack these days.

Mickey Mickey
Jun '17

more on scamming: http://www.snopes.com/fraud/distress/stranded.asp

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '17

I really hope yankeefan will run into this lady one day and just give her the world and watch as she spends it on cigs, liquer, and lottery tickets. Maybe she'll get lucky and buy a QC sub with the extra cash.

Jun '17

HLamuseme-AMEN!!!

Jun '17

Are there no workhouses for the poor?

HLAmusessome missed that lesson on; there but for the grace of God go I.

Hey, she's got initiative, entrepreneurial spirit, maybe even an LLC she's making it the ole fashioned way; she asks for it.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jun '17

Several years ago a Van pulled into my driveway Man asking if I might have odd jobs for him to do. There were things needed to be done so I said yes. Then found out he was living in the van with his wife and 3 children, one was handicapped in a wheel chair. I asked how they provided and made meals for their children, they said they did have a grill and several coolers. BUT ate mostly at Mc Donalds costing over $40.00 a day and couple Quick chek stops a day. I went to shoprite that night choose $25.00 of items. Chicken legs on sale, potatoes, eggs, cereal, milk,bread, vegs , and and good old PB& J. I gave that to the Mother in the morning. Tried to explain how I cooked it all easily on a grill. It would be 3 meals for the Family. She grabbed the food, never said a word. The next day found out they went and BOUGHT a puppy that night. I wasn't lookiing for thanks, just an acknowlement she understood she could provide better for her Family. And they spend money on a Puppy... I give up trying !

Children living in a van understand a puppy, it is innocent , like them..they do not understand living in a van......sounds like they needed social services or the local church .

Steven Steven
Jun '17

FF4D, I have seen her several times. I guess we've all had different life experiences but I wasn't fooled for a second and I'm really not that observant. Seems like people aren't upset that she's needy or mentally troubled...just that she didn't spend their "donation" on what they wanted her to. So, you didn't get your "feel good" moment. Which is why most people get suckered...you give to make yourself feel better...ultimately a selfish motive. And she stole your feel good moment. What a bad beggar lady to do that to you. Hope you can afford a good therapist and with time, overcome your pain.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

Jo, at least the father was looking for work and not just a hand out. However, I commend you for helping them.

When most people find themselves in these dire situations..many of them lose their dignity and hope. We don't know if they sought out social services and other charitable organizations. They could've been turned away and I would certainly believe that.

Our system is a mess and I know from experience.

positive positive
Jun '17

Yankeefan, Amazingly said and so true!

positive positive
Jun '17

I'm wondering if someone mentally troubled would be able to concoct the schemes and stories that she has. She has clearly taken a lot of people for a ride. I don't think any of us thought of it as a feel good moment. i don't donate to "feel good". I truly want to help but some people here are missing that she has deceived and used people. Pretty good indicator of someone's character. No one wants to be used. It's not the amount of money. It's that she can look you in the eye and promise she is buying food. There is no excuse. If she needs help, there is help for her and many people in the area could lead her in the right direction.

We aren't all going to agree on these things but for the people who keep saying she needs help, go out and try to help her. She can clearly be found around the convenience stores. It seems as though she has refused help and instead wants her cigarettes and lottery. Some people are just what they seem and it's unfortunate.

Jun '17

Steven, Yes, the puppy would have been great for them in a different living situation. They did not know if Pup any of it's shots. Where I found them a place to park for the night the pup barked all night and that ended that spot. They were struggling buying their own food, then another mouth to feed.

Postive, Yes the Dad was anxious to work and earn money for his family. Wanted to do the best he could for his family. He never asked for a dime more than the agreed pay. And worked hard for that. I often think of them and hope they ended up in a better situation.

People with mental issues can be manipulative. Actually most mentally ill people are quite intelligent..many are geniuses. The manipulaltion usually derives from desperation.

She needs help. There are too many people out there that need help, however so many are ignored and judged.

From what I read she has scammed many people, which is not right at all.

I'm just looking at it in a different perspective.

I sincerely hope your situation gets better soon Allamuchy Heather.

positive positive
Jun '17

Thank you, positive.

I understand your position. The whole situation stinks. If she truly needs psychiatric help, I hope she will accept it if offered.

Jun '17

Police need to intervene. What she is doing is illegal. Arrest her, then offer her our county's assistance(if she is a resident) regarding shelters and psych help.

YF, "gifting with strings" is fairly typical. It's the same thought process as government subsidies though; one can only get the "gift" if they first meet the defined requirements to receive the "gift".

In this case it seems that many feel they were misled and that their personal requirements (whatever they may be) for providing the gift weren't met.

justintime justintime
Jun '17

Listen, do the math. She's spending her time traveling around the area hitting up folks outside convenience stores at $10, $20, even $150 a pop all day long. She's likely making hundreds of dollars a day, tax free. Do the math. Wouldn't you like that kind of income? $200/day = $73,000 and if you figure in tax free part that equates to a salary of almost $100,000.

Crazy? No, crazy like a fox and probably going home and rejoicing at the fact that there's a sucker born every minute. This is a common thing in the cities, many street beggars do very well, then go home and change out of their rags. No, not all of them. Yes, some of them are truly needy, but the vultures hurt them all.

I'm putting this woman in the vulture category. Sounds like she knows exactly what she's doing, and she's hurting the truly needy by turning off those who would help them. That's the worst part of it.

With all the smokes and liqueur she has been purchasing, I really hope her two dogs are getting fed, o wait... Does she really have any pets though, hmmm.

Jun '17

I found out from a store owner all about her. The store owner is a nosey son of a gun so it doesn't surprise me he knows all about her.

Her husband died a few years back but before his passing he paid off their house for her. ITs a large home in Independence. She gets $4,000/month in a pension (his?) and spends around $300/day on scratch offs. He said in the beginning of the month she's in the store all day playing scratch offs but by the end of the month she's in the parking lot begging and asking him I feel he can run a tab on lottery and cigarettes. She has a serious drinking and gambling problem. Oh, and she actually does have a dog.

Consigliere
Jun '17

Quoted from Yankeefan above, "...Seems like people aren't upset that she's needy or mentally troubled...just that she didn't spend their "donation" on what they wanted her to. So, you didn't get your "feel good" moment. "

I'll disagree with this. Heather didn't want her "donation" to go specifically for dog food, she was TOLD that's what the handout was specifically for. NOBODY is going to hand $20 over to someone asking for $20 to buy lottery tickets. And in this day and age, even I - a smoker of 45 years (and please, don't climb on my back about it, ok? haaa) - won't even give away a free cigarette to a stranger asking for it in the street. Not at $9.00 a pack I won't. Go buy your own. There used to be a day a stranger could say "Hey, can I bum a smoke?" and any smoker would, in solidarity, hand it over kindly. But not anymore.

The fact that the money was begged for under the pretense of a starving animal, sickly children, or a dead battery, is reason enough to consider it a scam, as there are no pets, no kids, and the car seems to run just fine when she's chased away for fear of being exposed.

Jenny Jenny
Jun '17

"So, you didn't get your "feel good" moment. Which is why most people get suckered...you give to make yourself feel better...ultimately a selfish motive. "

not true for all, but probably is true for you, why project your own faults onto those around you? you sure like yanking folks around, bad to go imho.

some give because it's the right thing to do , nothing selfish about it,

so how much money did you give her?

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '17

Thanks Jenny, you nailed it!

Good info consigliere. She's 100% a scamartist. She is not in need of money, and a pretty bad person if that's true.

Jun '17

Oh, she's in need of money all right. But it's to fuel her obvious gambling addiction. $4,000 a month doesn't go far when you're scratching $300 a day. And just liek any other junkie, she lies to feed her jones.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '17

Point to ponder: Many that know me personally, know I'm a softy. But, there's one thing I NEVER do - I never give money or food or anything to any panhandler.... EVER.

Why? Because there should be no need to do so. There are more than enough social services and charitable organizations in the area that give out food and provide other support.

I once had a friend that registered with ALL of the food banks within a 10 mile radius and she would stop at all of them and get as much as she wanted (way more than she actually needed). And I've been on social services before - yeah, it was tight and yeah I ate a lot of rice, ramen noodles and peanut butter in my day, but in all of my sketchy times, I never, ever, ever needed to panhandle and I never ended up homeless (though I did come pretty close some times!!).

So, if you see her again, giver her an info sheet with all of the available services to her, including mental health, if you feel that's her issue.... let her drive her car to them, it's not that hard. And if she scoff's and is unwilling to do that, there really is nothing you can do for her. That way you can truly say you helped someone by giving them the information they needed, not just a handout.

~trekster3 ~trekster3
Jun '17

1 person does it - it's a Crime.

Thousands do it - it's a State Program.

Millions do it - it's a Federal Entitlement.

Peace out!

Yankeefan certainly has a point referring to many people, but of course not all people.

Obviously this woman has one or several addictions. Not our problem of course.

However, I'd like to know where is her family (if any) who should step in?

positive positive
Jun '17

We have a President who lies with every breath he takes and we're all upset by a little old lady with a scratch-off jones. Go figure

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

Yankeefan or shall I call you snowflake?

You are not correct...the lying candidate lost.

Bucky
Jun '17

I don't care what demeaning name you like to call your neighbor, it's still a demeaning name.

And yes, the lying candidate lost to a bigger liar. Mission accomplished, live the lie.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '17

Now begging is about the president? Sigh...

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

Don't feed the trolls either! Yankeesfan and strangerdanger are the Internet version of that woman.

Or begging is about HL posters? Or everything is about politics?

Sometimes you need to learn to let go.

seriously, Suze??? that's rude or worse--so if we don't agree with you we are the trolls...yes there are many more of us out here............

4catmom 4catmom
Jun '17

Suze gots a thang for us. Girls gotta have it ;-)

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jun '17

As the saying goes- Suze, you lose.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

LOL! I don't think so. All Yankeefan does is insult other posters, SD pastes too much bs from google and desperately needs attention, I hadn't mentioned 4catmom, but if you want in woman - you live in a gated community but advocate for illegals and refugees, etc., being given free entry into the country - typical liberal hypocrite. You're like the 3 stooges only they had some measure of success. As for this thread, I would say most here disagree with you, but don't let that stop you from your nonstop cries for attention like the old lady who scams innocent people.

Hillary and the one who hangs out at Quick Check ;)

Suze....ding, ding, ding! + 100000

outsider outsider
Jun '17

Suze, you are one of those mean nasty people who make this exchange unbearable at times. If you cannot disagree with someone without attacking them stay off. The forum will be a better place.

Considering the target of Suze's post, yours is truly funny jono!

justintime justintime
Jun '17

think you got that one backwards jono

+1 JIT

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Jun '17

Suze, if you consider my challenging certain posts as insulting, I suppose my personality irritates you. My friends appreciate my outspoken persona, and I'm clear others don't. Tough to really communicate intent via text or forum as there is no tone of voice or facial expression to help translate intent.
Nonetheless, I'm not posting to make you happy...or anyone else, for that matter. It's a public forum. I post when and what I want as inspired. Or bored. No expectations.
Although sometimes connections are made.
Like it, hate it, yawn.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

I gave her a penny and told her she can use it on scratch off tickets.
But all in all I love it. Dang I wish my pride or whatever one might call it , would allow me to beg for money to but my lottery tickets. Talk about playing with house money.

Suze is spot on. There is definitely some wacky crap going on with some people, it's a liberal thing and we don't understand :)

Jun '17

Yankee fan- keep swing for the fences.

One thing I do notice from many here is the attitude iof "raising the draw bridge now that they've got theirs"
A real lack of charity and sharing.
Kennedy once said " to those that much is given, much is expected".
I've worked since my early teens- now in my 60's.
Consider myself VERY LUCKY And am most dissapointed by my fellow citizens "iron grip" on the bounty they have been fortunate enough to partake of and unwilling to share or pay it or forward to others.
Let's all face it - we were born in the riight place at the right time.
Why not give others space for their beliefs and share?
You can't take it with you ( which reminds me of more than a couple of jokes).

Stymie Stymie
Jun '17

It's a liberal thing and we (not sure who is we)? Don't understand . Exactly. Divided States of America. OK. Again, hate my posts, like my posts, ignore them or delete them. I post.You post. Chips fall where they may. In the end, much sound and fury, signifying nothing. A reference you will likely miss.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

"We have a President who lies with every breath he takes and we're all upset by a little old lady with a scratch-off jones. Go figure"

** And yet , the stock market continues to climb upward every day**

Go Figure ..Indeed !

Steven Steven
Jun '17

I guess I'm living under a bridge with the other trolls. Because I find Yankeefan, 4catmom, and SD spot on, right as rain, and in short, quite refreshing.

Troll on, troll on, troll on.

Aquarius Aquarius
Jun '17

Actually, YF you in particular rarely are substantive. I don't really see it as political. You are just snotty and sarcastic. I have seen this time and again. You are incapable of being civil. Yawn away. But your responses just show you as an example of an unhappy person.

Thank you, Aquarius, and Steven, my stocks are way up as well. Nothing to do with reality or policies that are humanly equitable. So...your portfolio is up and f the world. That's what we fight against.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jun '17

"Troll on, troll on, troll on."

I know you meant that as a negative comment toward the others Aquarius, but ya know that can be interpreted as encouragement for the playground duo too - all depending on perspective of course ;-)

justintime justintime
Jun '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.