What my dog ate...

Figured you pet nuts would have fun with this one.

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/and-now-some-incredible-things-your-pets-have-eaten-1796162243

My golden ate a d battery (didn't know until found in yard), a rat poison soaked piece of bread and pair of panties which almost made it all the way out. Lived a long life.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '17

Amazing!!!!

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Jun '17

balloons. so colorful.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Jun '17

My bully was just a couple of months old when he swallowed a toy raccoon whole that had 3 squeakers on it. Everyone said give it a few days and it should come out the other end. I watched and waited and nothing. I called the vet, but could only get in to see a "fill in" since the others were booked. She said there's nothing to worry about the stomach acids will break it down and it should come out. As far as the squeakers, he is not a small breed therefore shouldn't be a problem....great!! I felt relieved. Imagine my surprise a month and a half later when I literally watched him vomit up a toy raccoon completely whole just the way it went in!!! I no longer have a lot of faith in what the vet tells me. I'm just glad nothing went wrong since it sat in there for so long. He acted fine and never skipped a meal or treats the entire time either lol!

A thumb tack and a cap to a magic marker. Both passed uneventfully.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '17

Love this thread! My bull terrier was licking a popsicle stick that my husband was holding. Suddenly she grabbed it and swallowed it whole! I was frantic. Called the vet and he said it would probably pass. Sure enough, two days later there it was...still whole. Relief!

Martha Martha
Jun '17

Duke ate crayons my grandsons left hanging around. There was a rainbow on my deck the next day! :-)

My daughter's Yellow Lab years ago ate a whole dish of large cooked shrimp (with the shells on) just before she was ready to serve it to her dinner guests. She used to call Ally the Human Vacuum Cleaner. We had a early flight home one time while visiting our daughter in California so she made us a light breakfast downstairs the morning we had to leave which included fruit and rolls. When we went down for breakfast ...no fruit and no rolls...Guess who had breakfast before us???

Joyful Joyful
Jun '17

I had a cat that loved to eat tinsel from the Xmas tree. Like most animals, after she pooped, she got frisky and would run around the house. Damn cat looked like a rocket the way she trailed tinsel as she ran around. Had to wait till she got tired, so I could pull it out, Yuck.

Boobalaa Boobalaa
Jun '17

My lab, Max, once ate a whole rancid raw London broil with no consequences. However, he ate approximately 30 hotdogs and subsequently became very ill and died from pancreatitus. Labs are notorious for eating anything and everything! He was a great dog, though, and we still miss him terribly.

My 2.5 year old lab has eaten drywall,linoleum flooring, an entire queen blanket(I still find pieces out in the yard ) and my favorite was most of the stuffing from the couch after he ripped the arm off the side... Ohh I forgot baby socks! His favorite pre dinner snack! Lol

Mr. Tone Mr. Tone
Jun '17

You guys aren't setting me up with a great expectation of the forthcoming puppy my wife ordered- will be my first dog. :/

I was at her parents house many years ago when we were dating and they bought 2 new puppies. One day I was standing in the kitchen talking to her and I saw the dog walk into the room with a sock hanging out of it's mouth- and then poof- gone- it swallowed it.

I told her- and she didn't believe me. It showed up later.....

Not a dog, but acts like a dog. My cat Scooby likes to eat x-mas trees, stems on pumpkins, stems on bananas, tomatoes, furniture, bugs, toilet paper, cat litter, leaves, flowers. You name it. I think he needs therapy for his oral fixation. Lol

positive positive
Jun '17

Beau, treeing walker coon hound/beagle, ate birthday candles and they came out whole. He also ate some of the siding on the house as well.

My lab/pit mix ate rainbow loom bracelets, crayons, a large block of blue cheese wrapped in plastic wrap. Thank goodness they all came out ok. As a vet tech, I have seen ALOT that we have to take out. . All I can say is keep keeping an eye out for what goes in. 3 weeks ago we removed a scotch bright sponge from my friends large dog. He has recovered well.

Luckygirl Luckygirl
Jun '17

Our lab is such a good girl, she doesn't counter cruise or eat anything around the house except her food and whatever she can can get from us by quietly staring with her sweet droopy eyes. She's never even chewed a shoe.

Don't worry Josh, it might be ok. What breed of dog are you getting? Just let the dog know you're the alpha from the beginning.

hktownie hktownie
Jun '17

Does anyone watch Downward Dog? This weeks episode revolved around Martin and his love of eating garbage, pretty funny episode.

Bessie Bessie
Jun '17

We were making one meal for that nights dinner and a pork roast for the next night. Pulled the 1.5 pound roast out of the oven and put on the counter to rest. Turned to make a plate with the other meal, turned back and said to my partner "did you put the roast away " and they said no, did you? Looked at our dog Moose and he had a big belly! He ate the whole thing in one gulp! And it had just come out of a 350 degree oven. It smelled really good. A couple days later I had a couple donuts left in one of those flat boxes. Gone off the counter but realized it must have been Moose so I ran into the living room and just as I got there he had a donut in hanging from his mouth, saw me and immediately sucked it up and for a brief moment his cheeks puffed out in the shape of the donut just like in cartoons!

Almost my whole couch. :( ate a bowl of cooking oil, we had cooling. Got sick on the Berber carpeting, never could get the huge spot cleaned up. I love my fog.

Vicinity Vicinity
Jun '17

Mine ate the arms /cushions on the couch and two chairs. He chewed the carpet off the floor, an area rug, and 3 dog beds to pieces....

This thread is too funny. Tthe only thing my dog ate when I was a kid was my homework.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '17

As a kid, I also had a cat named Toby, who loved to jump through my hands, about four feet up. Once when he was stalking something out in our back yard, my father sneezed loudly. The cat immediately and instinctively jumped straight up five feet, came down, looked around, and then took off fast, so embarrassed that people saw the incident.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '17

Thanks to all of you ~ hilarious!

I too had a black lab with an insatiable appetite for sofas. What's with that??!!

We had an old (1960's) fold out sofa bed (cast iron) first she demolished the cushions, then bit by bit, at every chance she got, ate it down to the frame.

Also stole a whole leg of lamb off the grill as it was cooling! My then husband had gone to the liquor store, and I was afraid he would seriously hurt her if he knew. Brushed the grass off, made a new brown sugar crust, and served his abusive ass with a smile!

@MAN, love your story...

positive positive
Jun '17

When I was a kid we had a golden retriever, she ate money, balloons, 3 pounds of frozen bread dough (almost killed her), crayons, carpet, lanolium flooring, 4 dozen rum balls my mother made, countless pairs of shoes, 300 pieces of bubble gum that I received as a b-day gift, Easter baskets almost every year... I am sure there is more but it was a long time ago. She was a great dog otherwise! Sweetest thing ever!

Jesse341 Jesse341
Jun '17

My mother told me her dog ate an entire row of Christmas Lights - now that was 1950's Christmas Lights - not these garbage lights they have today.

The dog ate 3 yards of glass lights and lived for many years after...so they ain't even making dogs like they used to any more.

Had a German Short Hair who tried to eat a porcupine. That didn't work out too well. He had quills everywhere, nose, tongue, face. Vet had to knock him out. Poor guy. Also had a lab who loved garden hoses. Never really chewed on anything else.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Jun '17

MeisterNJ - Ouch! Maybe your dog can switch to groundhogs, which are like porcupines without quills. Garden hoses are another story...no suggestions there. Dogs and cats are so funny in their different ways.

DannyC DannyC
Jun '17

Thanks Positive! I wanted to return the laughs!

We had Thanksgiving dinner a couple of years ago at a friend's with two large dogs. We found out later that one of the dogs ate half a tray of stuffing and our hostess served the rest to her guests.

Rbilly Rbilly
Jun '17

My Rhodesian Ridgeback has eaten:

Bacon grease - knocked the pan off the stove (fortunately cooled), and licked the pan clean. No side affects, other than a shiny coat for a few days!

4 pounds of grilled chicken breasts within about 1 minute. Grilled them. Brought them inside. Went back out to gather a few things. Came in, they were gone. She was laying on the couch with a giant belly.

Prescription Pills - Aside from dangerous, this was odd. Used to (emphasis on used to) leave them on the counter, in the back corner (no kids to be concerned with). How she even got them was beyond me. Fortunately, caught it quick enough. Checked date on bottle. 3 days old. 27 pills left (and missing). Found one on floor. 26 missing. No epicac in the house, so 1 teaspoon of Hydrogen Peroxide forced down her throat, followed by a piece of bread, 2 minutes later - eviction. And 26 undigested pills found and accounted for.

All sorts of random other things, but those are the 3 that come to mind. 13 1/2 years old, and she's still hanging in there.

Mike in LV Mike in LV
Jun '17

Both my pitbbull mixes,brother and sister, got into a 4 ounce bottle of gorilla glue. I came home from work and found ittle piles of foam throw up on the floor in different areas. Then found the chewed up bottle of gorilla glue looked it up online and found out it was a veterinary emergency and close to $7000 later and open abdominal surgery for both dogs two full bags each of foamed up gorilla glue that expanded and filled up in their bellies were removed. They recovered, my bank account did not

TB, that is nuts! What we do for our pets. If it makes you feel any better, I just spent $600 on vet bills for a $5 duck.

Jesse341 Jesse341
Jun '17

$600 for a duck? $5 to buy one? Respectfully, that makes me smile. So its a pet I guess that u just had to save. Not like a gold fish (some that cost more than $5) and u can replace it?
Live ducks cost $5, whats a chicken go for? I can get a frozen one for bout 5. Funny stuff...

Looks like it the retriever/lab breeds with the largest palate and iron guts.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jun '17

It's like having a toddler..you have to childproof your home. I do a check every day just to make sure there's nothing Scooby can get into that will harm him.

I collected sea shells from the shore a few years ago and displayed them on the coffee table, well I turn around and there is Scooby running around with a big sea shell in his mouth, mind you he's a cat!

positive positive
Jun '17

It takes a pet owner to understand why we spend the money that we do. My vet (big staff of 15 or so) all know my dog, call her the Million Dollar Dog, and when I come in around Christmas they all whoop it up because its "bonus time". All in good fun; it doesn't offend me.

I have a buddy who has never had pets. Got a Lab a year or two ago.He used to be one of those guys that would say if anything major happened, the dog's days were numbered. After all, its "just a dog". And what do you think happened when the poor pooch blew out both his achilles? He spent the $8,000 without even thinking about it.

Mike in LV Mike in LV
Jun '17

Nobody else? Come you animal lovers there must be more stories.

my neighbors dog ate a nerf football, eventually it came back up but that was her last day.
I’ll never forget the green color.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '18

When we first brought Daisy home, she ate our couch. I didn’t think it was possible for a puppy to do so much damage. I was very wrong. Later that week, she ate the dog bed that they gave us when we adopted her, a pair of shoes, my husband’s wallet, and several other things. I can’t say I blame her though - we were her 4th owner and she was only 6 months old at that point. She was one unhappy pup because she had been moved around so much. Poor thing had massive separation anxiety and had never been crate trained.

Antimony Antimony
Jan '18

My co-worker's dog ate his wife's pantyhose. They had to operate on her to get them out. I'll never forget when he told me it was the most expensive pantyhose anyone ever bought...lol.

My aunt's dog managed to get into her basement fridge and pull out a 10 lb. package of hot dogs. When she came home she found him in the basement laying on his side with an empty package next to him. It took 2 full days of violently throwing up all 10 lbs. of them before he felt better. LOL

countryside
Jan '18

Re: What my dog ate...

My Patterdale terrier is a hunter. Unfortunately, that means her conquests and their remains or what's left of them end up in my house. Lizards, birds, rats, and most recently small black snakes. She's the babe on the right. Resting up before going back out for more backyard patrolling.

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Jan '18

My Rottweiler eats poop filled baby diapers and wipes. I win the gross factor contest haha.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Jan '18

Chocolate is supposed to be poison for dogs. My daughter's dog ate a 5 pound box of chocolate one Valentine's Day and had no problems. Then did the same thing a year later. He lived to be 15 years old. They finally got smart and learned to put the chocolates out of reach the next year.

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Jan '18

360 paintballs and the plastic bag that held them. A very expensive vet bill at the Emergency Animal Hospital.

observer3 observer3
Jan '18

Yes! Parental Unit. When I was a teen we had a Doberman that loved Hershey kisses...it's how we trained him to do many things lol! Also knew someone with a Husky that ate a couple bags of chocolate and never had any problems

Overheard at a vets office, ate a rock, it needed surgery.

Roywhite Roywhite
Jan '21

One night my lab ate 6 corn cobs that we had tossed in the kitchen trash after dinner. We thought she would die but it all came out eventually.
I took care of an Airedale once who was having trouble pooping. I was able to grasp a small protrusion from his rear end and pulled out a complete handi-wipe... It was about 2 feet long. Man, he took off like a shot!

My dog ate a corncob also. He had to have it surgically removed. Not fun.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jan '21

My dog ate a large quantity of green (food coloring) popcorn from xmas tree strands....Had glittery green dog poop all over the yard for 2-3 days.

Bemused Bemused
Jan '21

Our dog loved corn on the cob, never ate the cob tho. But he did kill and ate a skunk

Dadof3
Jan '21

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.