Question re: school transportation

Hi there! We are moving to Hackettstown around August,
And I have a question about school transportation.
We are used to bus picking up our kids, however, Htown doesn't bus. Right?
So my question is, besides the parent dropping off children at school, is there any sort of carpooling in place? It would be for hatchery hill school, then after a year middle school. ...

Thanks!

paulina d paulina d
Jun '17

Parents do carpool or they have a variety of "taxi " that I've seen bringing kids to school

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Jun '17

contact Marianne's Taxi

Steven Steven
Jun '17

Get to know your neighbors, and definitely get to know the parents of your kids new friends. I don't think there is any formal car pooling system, but it's very informal instead. Just ask the others going to the same place if they want to share the ride. Everyone else is in the same boat so it only makes sense.

Make sure you really are going to be a Hackettstown resident. I have known many a person who has moved into "Hackettstown" only to find out that they are in Mt Olive, Mansfield or Washington.

crazyjane crazyjane
Jun '17

Good point, crazyjane! We had a hackettstown mailing address but were in long valley. My friend did as well but she was mt. Olive.

Jesse134 Jesse134
Jun '17

I was going to say something similar, but it looks like she already did that research based on knowing that the kids are going to Hatchery compared to Willow Grove.

I am curious to know if it permitted or legal for the yellow taxi vans to park in the fire lane in front of Hatchery Hill at pick up time. I know the lot is small and there is limited parking, but it seems very dangerous that these vans park, and the driver gets out of the car and walks away. What if there was a fire? I have already asked the school if any vehicle is allowed to park there and I was told no. But I still see it happen every day and nothing is done about it.

Concerned
Oct '17

Sissys taxi 908 850 1515

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Oct '17

better get them in shape to walk the 6 miles one way to the school buildings in Great Meadows, that's where your superintendent wants them to go to school now.

good luck with that one . . .

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Oct '17

I would think a fire zone equals no parking-ever. Not for a minute, not while sitting in the car. No parking period.

I would call the taxi owner and share your observation as well as the HPD. Heck send a text while they are sitting there and the police can come at once and explain it to the inconsiderate driver(s).

Text TIP HACKPD followed by your message, to 888777

BD, thank you for your addition to this topic. You’ve added a great deal and clearly satisfied the original poster.

...not.

btownguy btownguy
Oct '17

The taxis are permitted to park in the fire zone. Just like the buses that pull up. The drivers dont leave the vehicles. Once in a while you will get a parent that thinks they are entitled to park there. Like the ones that bring their dogs on to school property. And i don't mean the work dog that one family is training.

Now the questions you should be asking is, where are the car seats and why are there more passengers then seats?

C.J, yes, they do get out of the car. Pull up, parks in the fire lane, gets out and walks up to the school. Lets all just pray that there is never an emergency at the school towards the end of the day because the fire lane will not available for emergency vehicles. Shame on Metro taxi Co. for having such little regards for the safety of children. I hope they have more concern for children’s safety while they are driving these children around.

Concerned
Oct '17

Even if fire lane is open, it is a disaster pulling in and getting out.

That would be my biggest worry.
One way in and one way out.

The first aid squad came in the one day last year at the end of the day and it was not easy for them getting in.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.