Cats and dog

I adopted two cats last weekend. They are 5 years old, and came from a house with 2 dogs.
For whatever reason though, they want nothing to do with my dog. They growl and hiss at her even when she is sitting still just looking at them.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help them getbuse to each other? Ive been letting the cats roam the house while the dog is outside, and if the cats are hiding i will let the dog in the room so she can sniff around and they can get use to eachothers scents. Im not sure what else to do.
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Melissa Melissa
May '17

It takes time, it has been less than a week. The cats are going through a huge adjustment. They are probably very confused and stressed. Also, they don't know your dog yet. When we got our cat he literally tried to kill our very large dogs. He would attack their faces, stalk them, etc.... it was awful, I have never returned a pet but the thought was crossing my mind with him. After a few months things settled down. They are not best friends but they tolerate each other just fine. If the cats are just hissing and growling I think you are in pretty good shape. Just give it time. Also, try playing with the cats when the dog is in the room. If you can get them to relax and play it could change their attitude towards your dog. Treats while your dog is in the room may help as well.

Jesse134 Jesse134
May '17

You can use Feliway plugs or spray which is a synthetic cat pheromone to get them used to the place and potentially calm them down. You have to remember that they are getting used to multiple things--house, your family, your dog. so this is a huge transition. My cats moved with me to Philly along with my boyfriend and they just had a difficult transition with simply the move itself without any new people or pets to worry about.

It is going to take time, patience and a little bit of proactive work such as letting them roam like you have and them slowly bringing them together even in the form of a baby gate being a separater if possible so they can see each other, but not touch each other just yet.

helpthekitty helpthekitty
May '17

It takes time. Even cats need to adjust to other cats, so it's not unusual that this is happening with the dog. Hang in there, it will work out in the end.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Great suggestions so far. I would add - make sure cats have enough places they feel safe, to jump up on to or in some way get away from the dog. If the dog is bigger than the cats, you could put a cat door in a door going into one room, and that could be a place just for them. As others said, it will take time, and unless the dog is actually meaning them harm, they'll get used to her in time.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

I very much agree with some kind of a separator. Even potentially shutting the cats in their own room. Feeling safe is the first order of business for them. It might seem like they're unhappy at first, but they can get used to the freedom slowly if they need to.

They are doing totally fine other wise. Its just the dog. They have been in my bedroom since they came home. They are let out daily to roam the house when the dog isnt around.
I tried the baby gate, but the dog can get over it. She's a saint bernard.

Melissa Melissa
May '17

I just read the thread and when I read the last post just burst into laughter. I don't think anyone expected to hear the dog was a St Bernard. LOL . I agree with all the above and I'm sure your dog is a big ole softie. The cats must think she's King Kong. :) Thank you for adopting two cats that would otherwise have been over looked or separated.

Natari Natari
May '17

Cats and dogs have a major communication issue. Everything a dog does to be friendly, a cat finds threatening and invasive. Dogs don't read cats very well.

Give it time, they will find their peace. Don't force anything. Be patient and calm and eventually they will all adjust.

Aquarius Aquarius
May '17

OMG a St. Bernard! That's hilarious. I would have never guessed either. I love St. Bernard's they are such beautiful dogs. A friend has one that isn't even and year yet and she is a GIANT!!!!!

Due to the fact that it's a very large dog, it may take a little longer than a few weeks. Good luck to all involved.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Haha yes a st bernard
She's a year old and roughly 100 pounds. She just wants to play with them, she gets too excited and i think it spooks the cats. I'm sure one day she will lose interest and calm down more around them

Melissa Melissa
May '17

Usually it takes about 2 weeks or more for them to start calming down.

Waldo's mom Waldo's mom
May '17

Congratulations on the new additions and thank you for giving a good home to two furry babies!

Jules Jules
May '17

So sweet. Don't worry, everyone's right, it'll take just some time. Remember with cats that one of them always has to be the Alpha Cat, and it's up to THEM to decide which one of them it's going to be --- and that includes the dog. One day you'll look over and see them snuggling together, and wake up the next day to find that one of the cats is in charge, and you'll all live happily ever after. Nice you adopted two together, that's sweet.

Jenny Jenny
May '17

It takes time! My cat did nothing but growl at the dog when we introduced them and he will still occasionally stalk him or swat at him or his tail, but they coexist without any issues. I wish they were friendlier, just bc it's SO CUTE to watch! But I'm thankful that we have never had any fights!

somechik somechik
May '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.