Netflix series - Anne with an E

Is anyone watching this? I've watched the first two episodes and while I don't love it as much as adored the 1985 version with Megan Follows, I have to say that I think it's pretty good. The cinematography, casting and writing are very well done.

Antimony Antimony
May '17

I just started watching this past weekend. Two episodes in, also. I've never seen the 1985 version, so I can't compare. But I am liking it so far.

My cable remote was acting up, giving me a delayed response. So when trying to move around the Netflix app, this show started playing. I figured something was telling me to give it a watch, so I kept it on. Haha Otherwise I may not have checked it out on my own.

I will check this out, Lucy Maude Montgomery's books are some of my favorite of all time.. all of them, not just Anne. We vacation in PEI often. It's as beautiful as she describes.

hktownie hktownie
May '17

I don't remember watching the 1985 version (must have, at some point), but I am loving this new adaptation. Sure it has some darker moments than I recall from the book, but I think it makes a lot of sense in the context of the story, so I'm okay with it.

Heather Heather
May '17

Also of note is the fabulous recaps of the 1st two episodes via the History Chicks podcast (totally free btw). I highly recommend listening to these because you learn so much about the accuracy and they discuss purist/nontraditional takes on the story.

They also just developed a drinking game that's downright hysterical.

Antimony Antimony
May '17

Got to check this out over the weekend and we're enjoying this. I agree with Heather, everything that's different is within the context of the times and the story. The changes make the story more realistic. Casting for this version is very true to the book, characters are a closer match to the book descriptions than they are in the Sullivan version.

Has anyone seen the Sullivan 'Road to Avonlea' series based on Montgomery's short stories? Check it out if you get the chance, it's wonderful. R H Thompson plays Jasper Dale, and here he is Matthew. He's an incredible actor, we were happy to see him! Richard Farnsworth was a tough act to follow as Matthew with those big blue eyes.

One thing I'm missing is the time Anne spends in rapture over nature, and the beauty of PEI itself. That runs strong in the books, and Sullivan did a good job with it. Maybe it was deliberate, or a weather issue, but this version seems to be mostly shot on cloudy days, with a few cliff shots. Anne loves her flowers, but we're not seeing the island itself as a character, and it should be. The opening credit sequence is creative though.

hktownie hktownie
May '17

HKtownie, is the show you mentioned on Netflix? It sounds interesting. Wondering if it's there or if I'll need to request it from the library.
My DISH is acting wonky so hopefully I can check on it later.

Interesting factoid about the production of Anne with an E --- it's actually not filmed in PEI. I'm almost certain it's shot exclusively in Ontario. They did a great job of bringing in red clay and what not though to make it seem more authentic. Also, all of the actors had dialect coaches. The man that played Matthew had to dial BACK his accent as it was too much compared to the other actors.

Antimony Antimony
May '17

I don't see Road to Avonlea on Netflix but it's available on DVD. There are 7 seasons. Years ago it was on the Disney channel. Your library should be able to get it for you.

The show got a reputation as a high quality show back then, there were many well known actors who made guest appearances. Christopher Lloyd, Michael York, Christopher Reeve, Madeline Kahn, Robbie Benson, Stockard Channing, Treat Williams, Ryan Gosling were some.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_to_Avonlea

hktownie hktownie
May '17

To me, the live version at Hackettstown High School last November will always be my favorite ;)

trekster3- trekster3-
May '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.