New Hot Dog Joint - Washington

I see they are opening a new hot dog place by the DMV in Washington. Does anyone know anything about it? Rippers like Rutts Hut? Italian like Jimmy Buffs?

Hot under the collar
May '17

Hmmm, this is the first I'm hearing about it. Is that other hot dog place on 57 still open or did it close? Willy's Weiners?

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

That's still open, calico. I'm thinking the market may be saturated with the hot dog places in this area.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '17

Willie's is a good hot dog but they really need to reconsider the sizing of the "Family Size" french fries . It was as small as McDonald's small order, and three times the price.

Jenny Jenny
May '17

Sounds interesting!!! Keep us posted.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
May '17

If Willy's is still open, you would never know it. Yes I know they are indeed open – but I drive by there all the time, and it is always vacant other than the employees cars.

What they need to do, is focus on making it some sort of an experience – a destination. They have the river right behind them and some yard as far as I know, there are possibilities.

Look at the draught house in Washington that has the boat bar in the back. While it is much larger area and grander scale, there is nothing stopping Willys from having some sort of an outside area unless I am mistaken.

I agree that that strip mall is probably not the best place to try to open a hotdog stand.

It's interesting.. re: Draught House...

I've been there several times, and while the "boat bar" out back IS quite popular when weather permits, I haven't been there where the inside was busy at all... even on a weekend... since the grand opening.

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan a WW, actually not a fan of their dogs themselves.... I'll be interested to hear what this new place in Washington is like...

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May '17

We don't care for the Draught House at all. Can't see the attraction to be honest. We had tried it a few times when it first opened and weren't pleased. After not being there for awhile, we tried it again recently on National Beer Day. We figured we might as well go someplace where we could pick from a large variety of beers and they were running a special on flights. Well variety they have, but the service and atmosphere was not for us.

That said, I know people that go there all the time and love it. They eat there too. That I don't get because between my husband and I we have tried about 6 different things to eat there and they were all terrible. To each their own.

Back to the hot dogs. I don't eat them, but my husband loves them. He hates Hot Dog Johnny's and thinks that Hot Rods and Willy's are just ok. I'm not sure a strip mall is great for a hot dog place, but you never know. It would be interesting if they sold the Dickie Dee's, Jimmy Buff's style dogs.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Yes Dickie Dee's!

There was an Italian hot dog place "Marios" (I think) on 22 east behind Norton's Cork N Bottle in Phillipsburg. I never got to try it...they didn't last long.

positive positive
May '17

I think Hot Rods is good, but their chili is a little too spicy for me. But I like the dogs and the atmosphere (it's a "joint" for sure)

Never been a big fan of Johnny's, but it's a local institution, so...

May '17

I like a fried shriveled weeny.

(I WAS IN THE POOL!!!)

Seriously- something with a bite to it.

It's been a while- but I think there was a place in MT Arlington that was pretty decent.

I like Yocco's in PA, but don't get out there anymore since the in-laws moved several years ago..

Gotta hit hot rods on the way back from Jim Flynn's

skippy skippy
May '17

It's funny... everyone around here seems to like natural casing "rippers" (fried, preferrably deep-fried). I like "dirty water dogs", a NYC delicacy... it's funny because, I come from the midwest- Ohio- where we boil our dogs and steam our buns- just like in NYC. IDK where you looney Jersey people with your greasy exploded dogs came from LOL

May '17

JR, I don't agree with you on much, but on hot dogs, I concur.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

Josh, great pool comment!!!!

May '17

Agree with Calico on Draught House- food is so so, experience there the few times I have been there isn't horrible, but just not great- so I avoid.

Hot Dog Johnny- so so hot dogs, fries are good- I live a few miles from it, a destination maybe twice a year, but glad it is there, and as always, their business is booming on weekends.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
May '17

If a hotdog place can make a profit and survive more than a year in the Port Colden strip mall, I'll be shocked.

But me, not a great dog fan. I think Johnny's is ok once every 2 years. They survive because they are a convenient location experience.

maja2 maja2
May '17

Hot Dog Jonny's is a tourist attraction. A lot of us remember, as kids, our parents driving to PA, and Rte. 46 was it. Their fries are good, only when they're hot, out of the deep fryer. No one knew the "secret" to the taste of their hot dogs, that they were deep fried, as well, until the laws made nutrition and ingredients public. It was the mystic of the place, that made it interesting. That guy started with a tiny little stand, and turned it into a goldmine. I don't think anyone, today, can beat "the legend". Maybe deep fried lobster dogs? I don't know. We get a craving for a "Jonny" dog, about twice a year...and never on a weekend. At 10am, the line is incredible...for a hot dog! Good for them!

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
May '17

That and iced buttermilk and t-shirts that say buttsville

skippy skippy
May '17

Any more word on this place?

Aug '17

Best new ht dog place in Main Street in clinton, Designer Dawgs. It's not too far away, but her 21 different combos are phenomenal. I just was there today!!!

Kelleo22 Kelleo22
Aug '17

Love her Dawgs. Tried about 5 of them at her old place on rt22 in Whitehouse Station.. Hope to get to Clinton soon!!!

Aug '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.