Look and act your age?

I am a Senior Citizen.. Yes, .I dye my hair and look much younger than I actually am...Thanks to my Mother's good genes... no noticeable wrinkles yet..and still like to go out and have a good time with my friends.. I know I am slowing down and starting to get the aches and pains of old age...but do I have to look it too?. Someone said to me recently ..."You are now .........yrs. of age" Don't you think you should start acting and looking your age?" What is that supposed to mean???

Joyful Joyful
May '17

Age is just a number. Besides, your body is just a vehicle for your brain, so if you're still youthful in your mind and your body can keep up why wouldn't anyone make the most out of life? It's your life - do what you want!

justintime justintime
May '17

You are as young as you feel - let the haters hate

skippy skippy
May '17

As long as you are not being irresponsible, who cares. Enjoy life!

Jesse134 Jesse134
May '17

Jealousy at its finest. Keep doing what you do.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
May '17

Joyful ---- it means they are a *budinski*.
Turn your back on people that try to tell you what to do. They are a sorry lot.

happiest girl
May '17

I am 50 and I still shop in the Junior's Dept. Not because I'm petite (not even close), I just like the fashionable youthful clothes compared to the Misse's/Women's Dept...horrible.

Joyful you do what you feel comfortable with, it's a part of you and no one can take that away from you.

positive positive
May '17

I neither look it or act it (to the chagrin of some) but I'll be curious as to what you think, Positive - assuming it's not raining.................

4catmom 4catmom
May '17

4catmom, I could already tell you are very youthful..just by knowing how you approach life. I really hope it doesn't rain..maybe a plan B?

positive positive
May '17

Well I don't know the story, but as long as you don't have your old saggy boobs out, I say just do you. I know some of these older woman like to dress like they're 21. It's gross, not attractive, stop it.

FredFinger FredFinger
May '17

Fred*Finger* ---- be prepared to get one.
lol

happiest girl
May '17

"positive", I also am 50 and shop in the Junior's dept.
Rock on, sister !

"Someone said to me recently ..."You are now .........yrs. of age" Don't you think you should start acting and looking your age?" What is that supposed to mean???"

I have no idea who you are, so don't take this personal. It can fall under many different categories- they may indeed think that as you get older you may be expected to slow down, do more tame things, etc.

I don't agree with that- my father in law and mother in law are both in their 70's- you would never know it. They go to the gym several times a week, try to eat well, dress nicely and most of all- go out to all sorts of places and have fun!! They are a blast. My wife and I go with them to all sorts of places- my father in law took us up in a plane he flew, hip restaurants, last week we were at the PGA tour, shopping, we took them to an escape room, etc.

The only way I could see this comment as a negative (outside of jealousy) is if you are either trying too hard (going to an early 20's meat market dance club), or literally behaving and acting like a punk kid who didn't know any better would...

Basically- as long as you aren't doing anything blatantly dumb- don't worry about it.

If you didn't know how old you were, how old would you be?

Yankeefan Yankeefan
May '17

Thanks, Josh. Sounds like from what I am reading in your post I could be good friends with your Father and Mother-in-law. I have never been known to do anything outlandish and always dress in very good taste and their lifestyle seems so very close to mine as well... I try very hard to be a good and considerate person..Those that know me here on HL ..know this to be true. Thanks to everyone for their comments and help in making me understand what a comment like this to me was all about...

Joyful Joyful
May '17

Joyful, please don't even give it another thought. Keep doing what you're doing. You're vibrant, positive, and fun - I very much enjoyed meeting you in person at the lunches we attended. If it helps, no way did I react with "this person is trying holding onto her lost youth", and believe me, I've reacted that way to other people.

As to what it means, it probably means the person who said it has a limited viewpoint. And is probably judgmental. To each his or her own.

Aquarius Aquarius
May '17

Thank you, Aquarius...

Joyful Joyful
May '17

I just turned 52, everyone says I look 45, my soul feels like I'm still 28... never grow up, they're all just numbers. We were put on this earth to enjoy life not worry about what people think. I agree with Joni... ROCK ON SISTER!!!!

MuddyPaws MuddyPaws
May '17

As I have heard said, inside every old person is a child saying "What happened?". My mother tried to cross Mountain Ave in traffic tears ago and was just standing in the middle. Thank goodness, a friend saw her and stopped to get het into her car. Part of it was the alzheimers but she also said " inside I feel I can run across like I was still 16".

Dansker Dansker
May '17

I'll be 52 this Friday and just completed a 28.1 mile last Saturday in the Catskills. My two friends and hiking partners are 56 and 62 respectively and also completed this epic hike. We have another friend that hikes with us who is 67 and still does 15 - 20 mile hikes. Never stop moving, never stop playing, never stop laughing. Age is just a number ....

Rob Durana Rob Durana
May '17

In my head, my brain tells me I can still do all the things I did while in my younger years. However, my body does not always agree. I try and am able to do a lot of the things I used to do, just for a much shorter period of time. What I used to do in a day now takes me a week. But I still get them done. I spend a lot of time with my grandchildren. I always joke that I'm not sure if they are keeping me young or aging me. But in truth, I think they keep me going. I have grandchildren at all ages, from very young to adults. They seem to enjoy spending time with me. The older ones invite me to dinner and to movies with them, and the younger ones always ask when they will see me again. We have sleepovers and spend a lot of time together. So as has been said previously, age is just a number. We all slow down in the aging process. Have you ever tried to keep up with a 2 year old at any adult age? So of course the older we get, the slower we get. Be happy and content at whatever age you are, and be even happier if you have good health. Life is way too short to care what other people think!

Parental Unit Parental Unit
May '17

I am the youngest of 5 and I look to my older siblings, 60+, and know that age is a state of mind.
Sadly, I have a few friends that have just given up to their age.
Also good to know that I look a lot younger than some people that are way younger than me:)
Keep on keeping on!

Blackcat Blackcat
May '17

Ignore them Joyful! If you got it going on, then ENJOY YOUR LIFE!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
May '17

Agreed, Joyful. At your age (and I don't mean that in a bad way), you don't need to give af what other people say or think about what YOU do.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

Those ladies who said they are 50 and shop in the Junior's dept. --- I also have some tops from there, and I'm 61. Why not? Who is to say that a piece of clothing is specifically for a certain age.
How about Cher ... saw her yesterday on tv........ she looks amazing. She's a great example of women who take care of themselves.

happiest girl
May '17

Joyful.... you are very attractive, inside and out, always so stylish. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Mindy's Mom Mindy's Mom
May '17

Are you dressing OK?
I thought I still looked good in Juniors fashions-then I saw myself on video-yikes!
So I added a few sheer shirts over top of some favorites, to blur my not-toned arms, and I put away my miniskirt(only OK with spanks support and darker hose).
I wear a sarong or a cute cover-up over my 1 piece swimswuit.
I did try the "natural" graying hair look- It made me feel old-so I am dying it a bit lighter than my natural color, and adding some highlights around my face.
Looser layers (haircut)seem to soften my browlines. (And my hair has gotten thinner, but I don't look good in short hair, so I am sporting a layery long bob)
I do always put on a moisturiser (or moisturiser/light foundation) and I put concealer under my eyes, and I like a little lip gloss before leaving the house.(I have very dry skin.)
I often skip full-makeup.
But I do like it sometimes.
I pick darker eye makeup and paler lipstick. (Or you could do the opposite-just don't do both dark!)
And sometimes, if my skin feels parched, I'll put an extra layer of lotion over top of my foundation (I put 1/2 Lubriderm, 1/2 liquid foundation)
And when my agespots and spiderveins really bother me,(Like when heading for the beach) I get a professional spray tan (all the 50+actors do it). Beach body Tanning or the place on East Plane Street is good.It lasts about a week.(and you will need to buy some darker foundation)
It's OK. We are aging, but we still want to look nice.(And Classy).
Eating less is hard. But necessary, because aging metabolism hoards calories).I eat a lot more nuts (filling) And cottage cheese or egg whites for snacks. (Amazed at how eating these every 3 hours makes me Not want fast foods or cake!)
Having 1Tsp of Mother Vinegar every AM helps regulate bloodsugar/stop bellyfat.
I haven't considered botox or plastic surgery.
I find that a huge smile takes off 10 years.
My heels now ache if I don't wear inserts. (Dr. Scholle foot analysis machine at Walmart worked wonders!- so I got their inserts-not visible in any closed shoe-and pain dissipated.)
I remember seeing "old people" [happy people] on the Nook's dancefloor. I now only dance at weddings, but if you feel comfortable, get up and dance!
Do what makes you feel happy.
And skipping....Try skipping-it' s just So much fun!

That was great Lili..I think you spoke for many women, but in a humorous way! Loved it..

positive positive
May '17

Joyful, you are beautiful inside and out. Let the players hate Sunshne...

The Charmer The Charmer
May '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.