In NJ are all newborns drug tested?

I have a question does anyone know when you give birth do they test the mom and baby by drawing blood if there is any signs of drugs or alcohol from the mother? Do they test each mother that gives birth that they specifically look for that or just if there is a suspicion of drugs or alcohol ?

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

http://www.babysfirsttest.org/newborn-screening/states/new-jersey

They use the blood from the umbilical cord or merconium usually. Whether all newborns are tested or not is a hospital policy in NJ and most every hospital does this routinely

https://www.google.com/amp/s/njdyfslawyers.com/2012/11/25/the-hospital-can-test-the-meconium-to-detect-drug-use-during-pregnancy/amp/

skippy skippy
May '17

Blood tests are done on newborns. If the mother has done heroin, it is VERY apparent soon after birth. The baby will mewl instead of cry, and twitch and hyperextend it's muscles. The baby may have blanketburns under it's chin, from restless thrashing during withdrawal.
Cocaine babies scream. A lot.
It's actually worse if the mother drank while pregnant. There will usually be physical facial deformities, besides low APGAR testing scores.
When these symptoms present, they do even more bloodwork and testing, and they also call DYFS.
If you are pregnant and drinking/using, GET help now. Hackettstown hospital has a CAC program. They can even get you into a pregnancy friendly rehab facility.

No this is not for me, but someone I know is abusing drugs and alcohol while pregnant and we want action taken now. She doesn't deserve the baby and the terrible things shes doing to this poor baby. We were just curious if they do in fact drawl blood right at birth in NJ. So they definitely do? Im not sure if she has drawn blood at all throughout her pregnancy but this poor baby needs to be tested and so does she

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

Do they look for drugs when they do the blood testing on the newborns or only if it is suspicious ?

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

Soccarmom, report her to DYFS now.
(You can do this anonymously)
They will visit her, and offer help.
Alcohol while pregnant causes irreversible brain damage.
Call ASAP.
The unborn child is suffering.

I have a similar question and need to know if there is a way to find out if there are any available foster homes in Hackettstown? Does anyone know the answer or who one should call to find out?

Heidi Heidi
May '17

Do you really think they don't test for drugs? Google will help

Payitforwardpls Payitforwardpls
May '17

Not only do they test for drugs, an AIDS test was done on my child at birth. Without consent, mind you.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '17

I keep trying to find info if they aucally test or not at birth in NJ and can barely find anything

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

"No this is not for me, but someone I know is abusing drugs and alcohol while pregnant" - and you're going to wait until the child is born for a hot sample? - call CPS today

You just admitted to committing a crime on the internet

http://www.nj.gov/dcf/reporting/links/

9:6-8.14. VIOLATIONS INCLUDING FAILURE TO MAKE REPORT; DISORDERLY PERSON

skippy skippy
May '17

I never admitted to making a crime im just looking for advice on how to do it and looking what options there are...she will be reported by me

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

good for you - please do it soon

skippy skippy
May '17

I will dont worry. I just dont know much information since i never have done drugs or anything its just sad because the baby is going to suffer because of their stupid mistakes and they don't deserve the baby so actions will be taken.

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

that what they are there to investigate - nobody is going to blame you if you are wrong (bet your not).

skippy skippy
May '17

Thank you everyone for your advice and how to approach the situation because i wasnt sure at all

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

Thank you - Skippy have a good day

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

You too

skippy skippy
May '17

I know both of my babies had their foot pricked for blood when they were born. It's basically genetic screening mandated by the State of NJ. I got a consent form and informational brochure from my OBGYN and in my hospital paperwork. I'm not sure if they screen the blood for anything else on a routine basis though.

http://www.nj.gov/health/fhs/nbs/

Definitely let the proper agencies investigate. You're doing the right thing.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

You can report anonymously - the sooner she gets help - one way or the other - the better for the child -

4catmom 4catmom
May '17

soccermom12, I feel for you, it's very hard to see this happening and figure out what to do and how... I am glad that you reached out for opinions/support. Also glad that you are treating it as the emergency that it is... presumably there are other people who know this woman and have not taken steps. Good for you.

pmnsk pmnsk
May '17

I worked for a homeless shelter years ago for pregnant teens/women. I know a majority of them were all testing for drugs BUT most of them already had history of drug abuse reported.

When is this baby due? Do you know who her OB/GYN is?

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
May '17

Mommyof3- The baby is due at the end of june but im sure she will have it premature if shes absuing drugs and drinking alcohol. I have no idea who her obgyn is and i know she hasnt been going regularly like she should now since shes so close to be giving birth

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

I work for DCPP and can answer these questions
They do a complete panel at the hospital on the baby but the tests don't show all drugs only the major ones
Alcohol won't come up on a test
Mecomium is not tested unless requested or evident drug exposure
Call the hotline and make anonymous report
If mom has no kids but is only expecting a cws will be generated and we can alert the hospital to do a full panel and mecomium when the baby is born

H-town Mama H-town Mama
May '17

Htown mama- We know shes been doing heroine and has drank til she gets intoxicated her entire pregnancy but who knows what else kind of drugs shes doing. This is her first baby. Who do I call to make the anonymous report? Also I have no idea what hospital she will be giving birth at. Also what is cws?

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

1-877-Njabuse

Cws-child welfare assessment since baby isn't born yet
We will find out what hospital and what kind of prenatal care she is getting, if any

H-town Mama H-town Mama
May '17

Htown mama- Yeah im not to sure what she is getting or even what she has gotten it just disgusts me what is happening to this baby. Also 1877njabuse is all anonymously?

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

This thread saddens me.

Call somebody ASAP.

And to even hear myself type that is odd- as I am typically against government oversight and telling us all what to do (mostly for their own control or profit).

But the baby doesn't have a choice.

This coming from a greatly premature baby- born in '73 weighing 2lb, 2 oz.

Awe im sorry Josh. I know the whole situation saddens me too and thats why im making choices to change this babies life for the better and not for worse.

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

please don't wait any longer: http://www.nj.gov/dcf/reporting/how/

4catmom 4catmom
May '17

Yup
All anonymous just tell them you want to be when they ask for your name and number

H-town Mama H-town Mama
May '17

The sentence about the babies with blanket burn from withdrawals make me so sad. I feel like crying.

Consigliere
May '17

Any updates?

skippy skippy
May '17

I put a call in so hopefully actions will be taken.

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
May '17

awesome - I am so glad. You should be really proud of this.

skippy skippy
May '17

thank you for caring and alerting the agency that can help

htowngal htowngal
May '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.