A random act of kindness

To the woman in front of me at the Starbucks drive-through this morning, thank you. You put a smile on my face and warmth in my heart.

A short time ago I drove up to the window to pay and was told by the barista that the woman in front of me had paid for my order. She added that this woman told her that she had recently had the same thing done for her somewhere.

This kind person was long gone, of course, and I think that's part of the charm. How many people must seek accolades for their good deeds? This was simply a sweet gesture that I, too, will pass along soon. And that's how it works - one random act spurs another, and another, and so on.

So, to my nameless fellow coffee-lover, I wish you a wonderful day and week ahead.

That is so sweet. What if everyone reading this did one random act of kindness every day this week? It might become a tiny, townwide movement!

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Beautiful! What a sweet gesture and yes, it would be wonderful if we all tried to do the same.

Jules Jules
May '17

Great idea, Rebecka!

Someone did this for my daughter a while ago and it made her day! She passed it on to someone else.

Bessie Bessie
May '17

How do you know how much the person's order will be when they haven't order yet?

hktownie hktownie
May '17

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/21/us/starbucks-pay-it-forward-chain/

It's common at Starbucks

skippy skippy
May '17

you give the person say an extra 5 and say use it for the next persons order.

winters winters
May '17

Usually at the drive through they already know the total, they take their order while they make yours.

Jesse134 Jesse134
May '17

Yes Jesse134, by the time the person is right behind you in line they have already placed their order........

I agree with BobL........It surprised me how hard it was to do something kind for someone and not let them know it was me. . I am embarrassed to say it was hard. Seems I enjoyed that pat on the back MORE then just doing the good deed.

Now not hard at all, but I've grown up some since then. I love doing some little kind deed and doing it without being found out.

littlelu littlelu
May '17

Peace and blessings to all of you Htown Lifers for such a loving thread!

I hope it will start a refreshing trend here for folks to put aside the petty, and try to make this Forum as positive and productive as possible.

If everyone is doing it, then you're basically just paying for your own drink anyway.

HappyTeacher HappyTeacher
May '17

Know what feels good - pay off someone's lay away at Christmas. That's the move

skippy skippy
May '17

We did that one XMAS skippy. We asked the lay a way person to pick one order, it happened to be one with a lot of toys. It warmed our hearts to help someone who maybe was struggling to pay off their bill.

Yep I highly suggest it - made me feel good

skippy skippy
May '17

It's also nice when someone leaves the quarter in the shop rite basket!

About 17 years ago my husband and I were looking at houses in Mountain Lake. The realtor told us to meet her at the house she wanted to show us. Well we got there before her and found a homeless family living in the vacant house. We left and bought groceries, went back and left them at the door.

I probably could've done more, but didn't know what to do at the time. It just broke my heart to see that. Certainly a wake up call that I and many others could wind up in that situation.

positive positive
May '17

If you want to make a difference ask the cashier the others​ total. Instead of paying that donate to any service you feel fit too.
Really think about, yay, I got a free coffee let that random dude get a free coffee! Or that dude gave me $4.96 I bet, any organization here, can benefit.

Payitforwardpls Payitforwardpls
May '17

that is along the lines of what I was getting at - you're buying a $2-5 coffee for someone who can already afford one :)

I find it more rewarding to help someone more in need randomly. It certainly does spread good cheer and we need more of that - I would rather throw that $5 in some kids unicef box or the ASPCA can etc.

skippy skippy
May '17

What's being discussed here is not helping those in financial need. It's about performing an act of unexpected kindness, just to brighten someone else's day. No other reason than that.

Other random acts of kindness I've heard of have no monetary value attached to them - leaving nice notes on people's windshields, thanking someone explicitly for opening a door rather than just murmuring "thank you", etc.

We put so much value on money (ours, and other's) that we sometimes forget there's so much more to being kind to each other than helping with money.

Aquarius Aquarius
May '17

Sometimes the most precious gift you can give someone is your time. Today I'm writing a letter (with an actual pen and paper lol) to my Aunt who does not use the internet. Letters are her main way of communicating, and I feel like I never have the time to sit down and write. For the cost of a postage stamp, and time, I know receiving this will brighten her day.

A simple, genuine smile, or kind word to a stranger, are also acts that cost nothing.

I'd love more ideas and examples of what others are doing, too.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

I agree, Rebecka. The best gift you can give to anyone is sometimes just your time...Currently I am mentoring a lady that has been recently diagnosed with breast cancer. This is something I have done many times previously to those that I felt needed some advise and TLC as they went through their diagnosis and treatments.. I am a 15 year breast cancer survivor myself and just trying to help in anyway I can to share my personal experience with them and to offer suggestions and assistance whenever they may need it on their journey back to good health...

Joyful Joyful
May '17

decades ago we would do this a the toll booths on the parkway. we would pay up to the collector while giving him an extra quarter to pay for the car behind us.

fun reactions by the tailing car

fire251 fire251
May '17

I collected stuff from people living nearby for Warren county recycling day. That way I was the only one sitting in line. :)
That is really nice of you Joyful. So worth it.

A good day
May '17

Rebecka (may I call you Becky?) ...I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who takes an hour out of my day to write a letter to somebody with pen, paper, and postage stamp. Sometimes I'll attach cute little stickies to the envelope, too, pictures of lady bugs, butterflies, Snoopy etc. (:

Andy Loigu Andy Loigu
May '17

I think if she wanted to be called Becky, her handle would have been Becky.

HappyTeacher HappyTeacher
May '17

To the woman at Marshall’s today who was behind me in the checkout line, thank you from the bottom of my heart. You saw me with my five kids and so kindly offered “help” in the form of cash. Thank the Lord I didn’t need to accept your gracious offer. We are blessed to be doing ok, but it truly warmed my heart to have met you today. Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful gesture.

Megan Megan
Sep '18

I’m loving this thread! I love stories about random acts of kindness. A quarter at Shoprite, cup of coffee or paying for an order at a department store. It’s the thought. It’s all good.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Sep '18

:)
A few weeks before Christmas, a doctor’s office waiting room in Hackettstown.

Two strangers (woman A and woman B) sit across the room. Woman A is on the phone, explaining to someone that since her soon-to-be-ex moved in with “the other woman” she has enough money to pay the bills for December, but nothing left for Christmas presents for her children. That they’re good kids and the gifts wouldn’t have to be expensive (they don’t need video games she said), just something on Christmas morning so the kids didn’t think Santa forgot them – or that they were bad, some small toys, some coloring books. She was clearly extremely upset.

Woman B gets called into the back for her appointment, as she passes woman A she says “I hope you don’t mind I heard your conversation, it’s not much, but please use this towards presents for your children” and hands her some money. Woman A’s mouth agape with astonishment as she offered her thanks and Woman B disappeared into the office.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Sep '18

I’ve seen bickering back and forth, on most of our forums, however, as a whole, the people of Hackettstown and Mansfield are genuinely good people. My car has been jumped started, money or credit cards I drop immediately returned to me....even if the person chases me half way across the parking lot. We band together when we need to. Dadog...heartwarming post.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Sep '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.