Stop sign in Kenwood Village

Why is there a new stop sign at the intersection of Mitchell Rd. and Jay Ct? Jay Ct. is a dead end cul-de-sac with about five houses. Mitchell Rd. Is the major road running through the development. Yet traffic coming up the hill on Mitchell is forced to stop to give the right-of-way to the non-existent traffic coming from Jay Ct. I'm puzzled.

Frank d Frank d
May '17

Frank it's actually at the corner of Mitchell and Victor Court there. I gather it's because many cars travel up that little hill and whip around the corner knowing it is a cul-de-sac with never any other cars to worry about. The problem is the residents (me) and folks who walk through the neighborhood get tired of cars exceeding the speed limit as well as plain reckless driving by many.
I would like to see more speed tables as well. Mitchell Road is akin to an Autobahn for Pete's sake!

I agree Greg. I'm sorry, but you couldn't pay me to live in kenwood village. The traffic through there is insane.

Scottso Scottso
May '17

Kenwood is horrible with traffic and speeders. When my kids were little I didn't like them to play in the front yard. In my time there I had the maple tree in front of my house hit twice. I had a Japanese Maple tree taken out of my front yard, by a kid who ended up in my neighbor's yard inches from his house. I also mistakenly parked my car in the street, and had someone side swipe it and take off the mirror. I complained for years, but 15 years later it's worse than ever. Nothing has changed. Some people have no respect for the fact it's a residential area, with little kids playing outside.

Denis Denis
May '17

Yay for the stop sign. I live at the end of Seymour and the cars never stop at the stop signs, especially the people that live in the development. No one cares..

dsl1121 dsl1121
May '17

Well hope the sign has some positive results. Traffic through Kenwood is awful. Drivers speeding as if they were on the interstate. Many trying to avoid Main, Mt. Ave and Rt. 57 which seem like the Northwest Turnpike Extention.

Frank d Frank d
May '17

I live on Victor Court, and am quite happy about the pop up stop sign. People use Victor as a 'fast as you can go' u-turn to go back to Mitchell. Usually so they can park on the side of the road that they want to. I have been nearly hit multiple times by idiots doing u-turns as I attempt to turn into my driveway. The town has a no outlet sign up, but I feel that actually encourages people to do these u-turns. Now, whether people will actually stop at this stop sign will remain to be seen. People coming up Mitchell would be wise to stop to avoid being hit by the u-turners who rarely are watching for anything...

I'm glad the sign is there too. People get up to that corner and make the left turn, never stopping or slowing down to look to their right to see if a car from those 5 houses is coming out or people walking. It doesn't affect any flow of traffic. When I go thru there, sometimes I'm the only car.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
May '17

I read this forum all the time, but have never contributed. As a resident of Mitchell Road, I was surprised to see the stop sign. I do think they should maybe move the speed limit sign a little further down the hill so the stop sign is more visible. Another great improvement would be to have parking on only one side of the street. The roads are narrow, and when cars are parked on both sides, only one can get through at a time. This is especially difficult when the road curves, and you can't see oncoming traffic until you are both staring at each other.

The only thing good about cars being parked on both sides is it's the only thing that slows cars down. You can definitely see the difference when there are no cars parked on the street. It then becomes a drag-strip.

I agree Rich, I like to see parking on both sides of the street, it is the only thing that does slow speeders down. Unfortunately it cost me a side mirror one time. There are almost never cop cars doing speed traps there. Purely speculation on my part, but I think the town is happy people use the street as cut thur to ease traffic on Mountain Ave. If the cops wanted to they could right tickets every 2 minutes for people making illegal turns coming out of stores and restaurants on Mountain ave.. Rarely see them there either, but almost every day they are sitting in the same spot on Washington St. which is good when school is in session, but they are there all hours of the day and night.

Denis Denis
May '17

so true Denis just sit on Shelley drive coming off of Mt. Ave, it's a straight way so they just fly down the road. But of course the police dept will tell you it's the people that live in Kenwood are the speeders.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.