What should a kindergartener's bedtime be?

We are new at this. Please help!

Start process at 8:00....read to him/her....lights out 8:30....worked for us that was with a wake time of 7:30

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
May '17

Ha! I remember going to bed at 7:30 even in the summer. Until I was twelve. Neighbor kids playing in the street with the six of us looking out our bedroom windows. Ah, fun times.

It depends on the kid. When my oldest daughter was going to kindergarten, I figured out what time she would need to wake up and based her bedtime on how long she had been sleeping each night before she started kindergarten. If I remember correctly, bedtime was 7:30.

Htown Resident Htown Resident
May '17

I think it really depends upon what time they are getting up for school and what your own schedule is. In our case, bedtime was between 7-7:30. Getting ready for bed started as early as 6 on some nights. DD is an early riser though. Daylight Savings Time is brutal in my house -- I'm looking at a solid week of 4:30-5am wake ups until she adjusts. Our kindergarten hours were 8am-2:15 so she was up by 6 and back down about 12-13 hours later.

Antimony Antimony
May '17

I agree with CraftBeerBob, 8:00 n storytime. I gave my daughter a light snack and than off to bed for storytime.

She always looked forward to me reading to her before sleep. She loved all of the Dr. Seuss books, The Jolly Pocket Postman books and the series of Amelia Bedelia (sp?) books.

positive positive
May '17

I'm partial to curious George myself

skippy skippy
May '17

Omg Skippy, forgot about George. She loved him too!

positive positive
May '17

Our elementary aged kids go to bed at 8 or 8:30, bus comes at 7:30 so they are up at 6:45. When they were littler be stuck to a hard 8:00. Honestly, my high schooler has a bed time during the week unless there are sports, etc... Lights out by 9:30 or 10. Bus comes at 6:30 and teenagers need sleep. I know we are probably a rarity with this one but I feel that sleep is important and teenagers are not the best decision makers. :-)

Jesse134 Jesse134
May '17

Jesse, they should have bedtimes, I see these teenagers dragging ass to the bus stop at 6:45 when I'm leaving for work.

I don't have kindergartners yet, but I have early risers. The little one is 7pm, the big one starts getting ready for bed while I put the little one to sleep. Then she's in bed by 7:15-7:30. She will often lay in bed talking to herself for awhile, but she is in bed. For the past few weeks, they're both up by 5:30ish. But both still take naps during the day at school.

Positive, my daughter lives for her bedtime story these days. I've withheld it as punishment once or twice and she absolutely loses her mind. It's really the only thing that makes her insane like that. But it is our special time together and I can see why she enjoys it.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

My kindergartner and preschooler go to bed between 7:30 and 8 and they wake up between 6:30 and 7. Occasionally we let them stay up later on weekends. I tell my high schoolers it's light out at 10 but they're usually asleep by 10:30/11. As long as they get up without too much effort in the morning I'm ok with them self-regulating.

jrsemom jrsemom
May '17

Thanks for the good ideas!

Lili if you do any one thing. Please read to them before bed. We read to all of ours at that age and they are all teenagers now and all enjoy reading. The payoff for that time spent is the gift that keeps on giving.

CBB

May '17

I couldn't agree more CraftBeerBob..reading to your kids will not only help them when they start reading themselves, but it's a very special bonding time as well.

positive positive
May '17

Bus at 730, so they are up st 645??
My son, yes. Bus at 730, he's up at 725.
My daughter, NO WAY! Bus at 730, she had to be up by 6 at the latest, to get ready. Haha! Glad those days are over.

RAS-we were the same kids. Inside by 730pm watching the neighborhood kids still out playing.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
May '17

Just checked out 14 bedtime stories at the library:)

Good for you Lili! You and your child will love it.

positive positive
May '17

Awesome. Good Luck and enjoy the time with your little ones.

May '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.