White rabbit on Asbury Rd

White rabbit on Asbury Rd

We had a white rabbit in our yard this morning, did not look like a wild rabbit and was not as skidish as one. If you lost one email me and I will let you know where I saw him.

I live at the top of Asbury road as well next to a field and just saw same white Rabbit on farm road next to my house #57. Then it chased another wild rabbit into the trees behind my house..sure hope whomever owns it sees this...has to be a pet.

Laurie Laurie
May '17

The white Rabbit is now sitting in the middle of the farm road between #57 Asbury and the field next to it. If anyone knows of a family nearby who owns a white rabbit...maybe they can check with them to see if it got out.

Laurie Laurie
May '17

Laurie - Call animal control before the poor thing turns into a road pizza.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Yes, please do call animal control. The rabbit will not survive on his own for long.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

That is a great picture- and appears to be a well fed rabbit. :)

I'd rather have that in my yard than the groundhogs.

Did anybody get the white rabbit?

Brooke Brooke
May '17

Re: White rabbit on Asbury Rd

No. I know this because I am sitting within 5 feet of him. He does not want to be caught, that's for sure. I'm trying the sit-very-still technique to see if he'll hop over to me.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Good luck Rebecka!! I hope you can catch him.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
May '17

No luck. This buns is enjoying her* freedom. She did take a few hops in my direction, but then decided to hop quickly across a field. I followed her slowly and sat down again, and she didn't appear scared at all, but also didn't want to be petted (and hence caught).

*I am told the rabbit is a female and her name is Princess.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Do u have a carrot!

Nature Lover Nature Lover
May '17

Rebecka

Best of luck in catching that big gal! Must be enjoying the sunny but windy day. I think the wind is likely to strong for her senses to be able to pick up clues towards "home". Perhaps one of her humans that she's used to would be able to join you where you're at with some of her favorite bunny treats, whether it be carrots, flavored yogurt drops, etc.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '17

Is her name Alice? Sorry, couldn't pass on that one.

dan l dan l
May '17

Rebecka - Be vewy, vewy quiet when hunting wabbits. LOL

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

See if you are able to put a laundry basket over it.

Walker Walker
May '17

A blanket or tarp would be easier than a basket. I've saved a couple of ground hogs that way.

maja2 maja2
May '17

I've caught lots of critters, but I don't know what's going to work in this case. Pretty sure a basket or blanket would not work, unfortunately. She is very fast.

We will need the help of the ACO. Is Asbury Rd in Independence? Trying to figure out whom to call.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

lol dan I

auntiel auntiel
May '17

Yes Rebecca it is Independence

Bently
May '17

This is my neighbors bunny he bought from a yard sale over a year ago her name is princess please let her be and roam free if you have a problem contact Antonio latona on facebook

Alex Arch Alex Arch
May '17

I don't have Facebook to contact your friend, but pet bunnies cannot survive in the wild. They are easy prey.

Brooke Brooke
May '17

A pet like that left unsupervised is an easy target. Ask your friend to keep her inside or find her a better home.

Pumpkin43 Pumpkin43
May '17

Maybe the bunny won't make it through the night

Nature Lover Nature Lover
May '17

Alex I think we should hear from Antonio himself. I've never heard of something so ridiculous. Princess is pure white, zero camouflage to hide from predators.

If Antonio really feels this way..well maybe he doesn't deserve to have Princess.

positive positive
May '17

Antonio's FB page says he lives in Clifton, so that's confusing.

positive - I completely agree. A domesticated rabbit has no business roaming in the wild. To suggest it at all is ridiculous.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

My husband & I walk after work most days. .A few days ago we saw the bunny all stretched out laying in a yard across the road from horse field on Asbury Rd...It certainly stood out. She is a good size but sooner or later a predator will scoop her up. I will say she seemed very content and well fed.

Diana G Diana G
May '17

Did anybody see white rabbit today?

Brooke Brooke
May '17

Omg! The bunny has been outside for nearly a year. We tried to catch her and put her in the chicken coop with no luck. We keep and eye on her and she loves to b free. She wants nothing to do with being held captive. She would attack me everytime I put my hand in the cage.
One day she got out. She's happy and fat as hell!! Mind ur own business and worry about ur own animals!

Noneofurbusiness
May '17

A domestic rabbit who has been let loose and is hence in jeopardy of being preyed upon is everyone's business, thank you very much. While I understand you may be quite embarrassed for abandoning your pet, and worried about animal cruelty charges, the community will not let this rest. An abandoned animal IS our business. We will take care of the matter if you will not, Mr. Latona.

Sorry No
May '17

If I was a bunny, I would want to live free and die free. I am personally opposed to caging birds and bunnies. But if someone can catch and make a happy pet of her, that's great. The mind your own business comments were quite uncalled for.

Animal cruelty charges? What kind of a world are we choosing to live in here?

maja2 maja2
May '17

Yes mr or mrs noneofubusiness to you i have over stepped what i said. Well rabbits. Are pets and are like dogs they live in your home.they love to roam free,but in a safe environment. Rabbits are easy prey. Don't expect a pet rabbit to live independently. They need love and attention. I have owned 5 rabbits in my lifetime. They need good care and attention.

Brooke Brooke
May '17

"i just bought a dog, but please let it roam the streets and other's properties because he likes to be outside!"

yikes lol

poor bunny foofoo

I saw the rabbit this morning at 59 Asbury Rd in the backyard at 6am. I walked over and it took off into the weeds. I lost sight of it.

Tom Sokalski Tom Sokalski
May '17

Another person that dose not deserve to have pets !! Shame on you (none of your business)

teena teena
May '17

If the rabbit is been free out in the world for a year, I would say it is now wild, owned by no one. Let it be.

With all of these white bunny sightings, maybe we have a 2nd bunny generation going! Princess might be getting her girl on :)

maja2 maja2
May '17

This explanation of "she wants to be outside" is so far, far beyond ridiculous, not to mention, the fact that she was sold at yard sale to begin with.

Independence Township Animal Control Contact:
Timothy Norton
(908) 339-1109
tim@happytailsinn.com

itISmybusiness itISmybusiness
May '17

http://njspca.org/report-abuse

Owner of dumped rabbit (Noneofurbusiness):

Antonio Latona
50 Asbury Rd
Hackettstown NJ

Please join me in reporting him. Takes all of about one minute.

We will also need to get a group of caring people together to catch Princess and give her a loving home.

A domesticated, albino rabbit (all of which descended from European rabbits) is NOT equipped to live in the wild in New Jersey. It is amazing she has survived this long. She will eventually be hit by a car or preyed upon.

Let's not let that happen.

Sorry No
May '17

I had an ant farm once, which means that ants must now universally be accepted as pets and afforded all the rights and comforts that the term implies. If anyone finds an ant in their house, they are required to accept it as their own and give it a loving home. And if anyone DARES to purchase or gasp, USE, insecticide, I will sic Tim Norton on you so fast your insect-hating head will SPIN!

So says the insect social justice warrior.

ianimal ianimal
May '17

If anyone attempts to catch her PLEASE be careful. You shouldn't pick rabbits up due to the delicate nature of their bones

Ants are so cool. Superior species. Leave them alone.

A good day
May '17

ianimal - You reduced the discussion from a furry, lovable pet down to three-bodied, six-legged insects. Nice work. Not funny. We really need ianimal control.

DannyC DannyC
May '17

If it has been in the wild for a year- it is not a pet. Sounds like it can take care of itself.

One woman's furry, lovable pet is another man's hassenpfeffer. Let's not kid ourselves as to why rabbits were domesticated. It wasn't for companionship, lol.

Go down the Spaghetti Triangle sometime. Every fourth or fifth yard has a rabbit coop next to the tomato garden. And those bunnies only ever make it into the house once.

ianimal ianimal
May '17

AJ LATONA IS. A 21 year old, I'm sure he doesn't care about the well fair of the rabbit

jAnimal lover jAnimal lover
May '17

ianimal , That was why Chickens and Rabbits were in our backyard, and the droppings went into a barrel of water for the garden. Dad was a fisherman and believed in putting a fish head at the bottom of each tomato plant to keep the ground warm.

Old Gent Old Gent
May '17

Sorry No, thanks for the link. Done...

positive positive
May '17

Sorry no, thanks for information.

Brooke Brooke
May '17

Not sure what his age has anything to do with this. I know plenty of young men and women who understand how to be responsible for a pet.

Hope the bunny stays safe!

somechik somechik
May '17

ianimal - As a kid in high school I worked in a pet shop where rabbits were sold as pets, and they still are today, along with all the accessories like cages, litter, food, water bottles, toys, etc. And where exactly is "the Spaghetti Triangle"? ITALIANOPHOBE!

DannyC DannyC
May '17

Those who know what's best for us must rise and save us from ourselves...

APersona APersona
May '17

Plus 100 Josh this bunny is tough and has earned her freedom. She even survived a blizzard! No way she's Princess, needs a name more like Eleanor (of Aquitaine and Roosevelt) or Amelia (like Earhart).

Love the Alice question, did anyone see a waistcoat or a pocket watch?

hktownie hktownie
May '17

APersona - Nice philosophy, but what is your position on the white rabbit question? Should she be considered as worthless as an ant, or as a wild animal who can fend for herself, or as a loveable pet who should be captured and sent to a good home? Please specify.

DannyC DannyC
May '17

The rabbit was not meant for the wild. No way it survived the winter on its own. Not the same rabbit.

Danny- I *think* I know exactly what APersona is saying- but I won't clarify for fear of being crucified.

I am a good person, I swear, I'd hope better than many- but today's society boggles my mind of logic.

Please don't kill me. :)

The Animal Control should be contacted so they can catch the domestic pet rabbit and also pay a visit based on local laws about dumping your pets (of any kind). A domestic rabbit can not survive on its own for long. Whoever mentioned catching it and putting it into a chicken coop doesn't know that's not good for the rabbits health nor the chickens (despite it being previously done on farms but they'll both be ill)!
Shame on that person who let it go and we need to get the animal control to find it a loving home.

Island Bunnies Island Bunnies
May '17

I guess it goes like this: can a domesticated rabbit live in the wild? In this case obviously yes. At least for a little while. How long is anyone's guess. But here's the thing, it's a domesticated animal not meant to live outdoors on its own. Can a young child live out on the street on his own? I would say yes, why yes he can and many do. For petes sake does that mean it's okay? This isn't that hard.

At my old house there was a white rabbit that lived for years outside. No idea where it came from but it hung out with wild rabbits and did just fine. It was still there, alive and well, when we moved. Not saying that discarding a pet s right but rabbits can often fend for themselves.

Jesse134 Jesse134
May '17

Is the white rabbit still around? I hope animal control comes to save him.

Brooke Brooke
May '17

This thread is very controversial. Let's ask Alice when she's ten feet tall.

Mike L Mike L
May '17

What it means is to mind your own business and leave people to their own devices. Stop trying to be the moral compass for everyone. Stop rushing to judgement. Stop being quick to anger. Stop being the neighborhood vigilante.

Is the rabbit eating your landscaping? No? Well then it's none of your business.

APersona APersona
May '17

APersona - Yes, rabbits are a more destructive nuisance for gardeners than deer. Regardless, I wanted to filter through the nonsense from the self-proclaimed comedians on this thread and get to the question of how we should treat rabbits. No intent to tell anyone how to think, just asking for clarity of opinions.

DannyC DannyC
May '17

"No intent to tell anyone how to think, just asking for clarity of opinions."

Calling someone an "ITALIANPHOBE" is not asking for clarity.....DANNYC

Lifer
May '17

Lifer - It was just a reaction to ianimal's nasty, anti-Italian reference to "the Spaghetti Triangle". Por favor, non mi rompere i coglioni. Meanwhile, what is your position on rabbits, wild and/or domestic?

DannyC DannyC
May '17

Anti-Italian? My wife is 100% Italian and my children are 50% Italian. You have no idea what you're talking about. That's what THEY call the three adjacent towns of Lyndhurst, Belleville and Nutley.

And there's about an 85% probability that you never worked in a pet store, whether in high school or any other time in your life. Most likely just another story invented by HL's own Walter Mitty, lol.

ianimal ianimal
May '17

There is a reason many no longer post on this site..Once upon a time you could post about an aea for interest to photograph, take families a hike...Now what has it turned into? Folks it s a RABBIT....I raised dutch bunnies, one night a racoon got into cage. A dozen got out, 10 were still running around 3 yrs later. Couldn't catch them, but the were all fat and happy.

A person posted about a starving dying horse in a field.. WHY didn't she knock on door of owner rather make crazy comments.. God Bless the folks that keep a horse or animal going at an age they normally woud have died years before. She would rather give the people a bad name... Do you know how much Vet care and Farriers cost and those folks were keeping up on everything.. would have been cheaper to put the horse down years ago, But they continued his life.

A woman on another site spotted several goats in a field on a abandonded farm starts a whole issue of OMG they are alone no shelter...Those goats had been there for years everyone of them FAT..They had acres of woods and fields to eat, a shelter of an old structure. Then people needed to come "SAVE" them..let's rope them ,shoot them with TQ..knock them down move to a rescue, put in small enclosed areas.. WHAT these goats did not need was anyones help they were fine on there own as they had been for years...

If people have this much time one their hands...go help Veterans..the elderly..Worry about them, kids that go without lunches..BUT don't post you saw a 3 yr old walking and crossing the road alone.....Just don't get it....

AMEN JO....+10000000

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
May '17

YES to Jo!!!!! The voice of reason of the day!

Heidi Heidi
May '17

You are ok with people abandoning their animals, Jo. That's your position.

Some of us (most, thankfully) disagree.

As for the "if people have so much time on their hands... go help veterans..." Well guess what? Helping people and helping animals are not mutually exclusive. In fact, the people I've volunteered with at animal rescues are the VERY SAME people who are volunteering at food pantries and other organizations. The people who have compassion for animals, I've found, have compassion for all, and give of themselves to aid all in need.

Then there are those who do nothing but sit on their arses and complain, whilst simultaneously telling others how they should be spending their free time and money.

How very productive.

With the permission and help of some of Antonio's kind neighbors, I will be placing some Havahart traps to try to catch Princess.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Jo if you are talking about the goats in Andover you are very wrong. As for people on here who speak up for the voiceless then I'm proud to say I'm one of them. I will always support animal causes and sign petitions to stop animal abuse. I have never turned a blind eye to animal neglect. If an animal seems in distress or in poor condition i will report it to the proper authorities not bang on their door. The cases you mentioned I have not been a part of but would back them 100%. Last summer I called the police on a Great Dane left in a hot car outside a Doctor's office. I made it my business to have the owner be held accountable for that poor dog.

Natari Natari
May '17

+100000 Rebecka, you said it so well!

positive positive
May '17

Jo, I would NEVER advocate somebody knocking on the door of an owner. Never never never take that matter into your own hands. You always have to go on the presumption that everybody else is a nut, and use precautions. Always call someone in authority when you suspect animal abuse/neglect (or ok, ANY kind of abuse/neglect).

May '17

ianimal - Your words imply a distain for Italians as butchers of rabbits, and rabbits as worthless as ants...Hope your wife doesn't see things that way. Meanwhile, when I came home from work at the pet shop during high school, I smelled like every variety of droppings that I had to clean up. My mom said "Your dinner is on the floor in the basement"..."No, yours is the blue dish, Dan." You can't make this stuff up.

DannyC DannyC
May '17

I emailed the link to this thread to the NJSPCA, hopefully they will read it.

positive positive
May '17

Yes indeed - Rebecka - that's how I see it as well

4catmom 4catmom
May '17

Wow. The spaghetti triangle. I am from NUTLEY. My friend Joey Naples is gonna come visit ianimal. Leave the gun take the cannoli s.

A good day
May '17

Do you know why people come on here with posts about a lost pet? Because they know people like Rebecka will get off her arse and go help search for the animal.

A domestic rabbit can not survive out in the wild. I got a call on Monday because their was a domestic rabbit loose in a nearby town. Apparently a handful were loose since Easter and only this one survived. Fortunately after a couple of hours, we were finally able to catch it. I bought her to my vet the following day and he had told me she was very underweight from trying to survive only on grass. So now I have another rabbit in this household bc some idiot decided they didn't want her anymore.

It is also ILLEGAL to release a domestic rabbit into the wild. Remember this story.
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2009/04/monmouth_county_man_fined_2k_f.html

Yes I'm an advocate for animals however I have also volunteered at the local Backpack for kids program and at food banks/pantry in NYC. If you don't agree with how people are trying to help the animals, or any other posts~ then just scroll past the without commenting. Simple as that.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
May '17

Danny C -

"Por favor, non mi rompere i coglioni."

Perhaps you shouldn't do that to others FIRST.

Lifer
May '17

ONLY on HL can a missing rabbit thread turn into an argument thread LMAO

Clyde Potts Clyde Potts
May '17

Disdain for butchers and Italians? Are you crazy? Do you really not know that raising rabbits for meat is a fairly wide-spread practice? Hell, it doesn't get more "farm to table" than that.

http://theselfsufficientliving.com/best-meat-rabbit-breeds/

137 recipes on Food Network... most of them Italian, but most European cultures include rabbit in their diet.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/search/rabbit-

My opinion? If you want to raise rabbits and keep them in your house as pets... more power to you. If you want to raise rabbits and use them to feed your family... more power to you.

ianimal ianimal
May '17

Lifer - So what is your position on this apparently stray white rabbit?

DannyC DannyC
May '17

"If you want to raise rabbits and keep them in your house as pets... more power to you. If you want to raise rabbits and use them to feed your family... more power to you."

I actually agree. I wouldn't eat a rabbit myself, but I am non-judgmental of others who do so. Just like I wouldn't hunt myself, but I do support the rights of others to do so. I would prefer this all not to happen, but until someone makes me Queen of the Universe lol, others can and should do as they see fit.

The difference here is that this is a rabbit who was a pet, and who was *abandoned.* It will not be given the quick, hopefully humane death, of a rabbit who is being culled to eat. It is certainly suffering in this heat (which is very dangerous for pet rabbits), and could easily fall prey to any given number of wild animals, suffer with different types of parasitic infections, etc. So I just believe it should be caught and given a loving home. Very simple. It's one little rabbit in need of some help. Nothing more, nothing less.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Why is my opinion to you Danny C so important?

I didn't give my opinion before nor will I now.

Lifer
May '17

I want to be the first to nominate Rebecka "queen of the universe" ! If anyone can do it, it's her!

Molly
May '17

Lol G-d forbid... bunnies and kittens for everyone...

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Rebecka, and others-

Several of you have met me. I mean no harm to anyone- human or otherwise. I don't hunt- I was an EMT and Army Medic.

I have to ask- at what point is an animal no longer a pet?

If the story is true- this rabbit has been in the wild for a year.

It appears to be healthy, well fed, not sick, not famished. It also appears to want to be free- not coming towards humans or wanting to be pet or captive.

My feelings are that all of you wanting to protect it have good intentions- but are loosing site of the most basic level of logic- it is an animal that regardless of any of our feelings, regardless of our 'superior' mindset - it's dna and thousands of years ingrained being of animal heritage apparently are taking care of itself and is fine.

Yes it may eventually get hit by a car or eaten by another beast- but the same is true for any squirrel, bird, etc...

NJSPCA has read this entire thread and they are looking into this matter.

positive positive
May '17

I also had a rabbit sausage at James on main brunch about a month ago. Should we report them for serving it? Probably headed out to sushi tonight at the new place that MANY of you on here recommend.

This is life- nobody gets out alive. Many of you could use a little reflection on that, introspective on your perspective, and relax.

There are soo many worse things in our society, in the world than what you guys & girls get worked up over.

Have a great night. Try to get outside and enjoy it in some manner- it is not snowing or raining!! :)

I hope that if people do get together and catch this rabbit, that they actually let it roam free in a home, and not in some cage. I think caging pet rabbits is much, much, more cruel to the animal than letting it run wild. If this animal has been out there for a year already, then it seems like most of the concerns listed on this thread don't apply.

Josh, I understand your point but please consider this --- this is not NATURAL ANIMAL BEHAVIOR. This is a human mistake. Domestic rabbits are bred to be domestic rabbits. They can learn on their own to burrow, to eat, to seek shelter, yes. But that doesn't mean she should, or that she necessarily can, or will. And if she is eaten by a coyote or a fox or a hawk, sure that's natural - in the wild - but it's completely UNnatural in her case, in the case of any domestic rabbit released ILLEGALLY into the wild.

I don't know if I'm saying my point clearly, it's early and I'm tired, haaa. Let's say this -
Dogs that don't need human intervention are called wolves. A domesticated rabbit is not a wolf.

Rebecka, I admire you.

May '17

And I admire Baci's Mom: she actually *caught* an escaped rabbit which someone had let go! Going to email her to get her rabbit whisperer techniques.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

One thing though I'll caution you about, Rebecka, is that because this is not a wild animal (which shouldn't be contained, trapped or relocated by anyone without the authority to begin with), you have to be very careful here, because technically she does belong to somebody and that's considered their property. All it takes is for one of the supportive neighbors who say "let her be FREEEEE!!!" to find you on their property and you're in trouble. Ok dear? So please, just be careful and use the correct procedures to take care of this.

May '17

Don't worry, I've already met several neighbors. They actually reached out to me via this forum. I would never trespass. A couple of them not only gave me permission to be on their property, but also came out when I was there and helped me try to find Princess. Just about everyone who has seen her is very concerned.

As this is not my rabbit, I would certainly have to notify the ACO and ask him how to proceed if I am able to get her. If the owner wants her back, he will probably need to show that he has adequate housing, etc. However, two neighbors told me that he (or those he lives with) stated to them that the rabbit is no longer wanted, and they have already given away their housing and supplies. But certainly I would not be just catching someone's rabbit and giving her away. I would go through the proper channels and contact the ACO, and turn the rabbit over to him if he requests it. (I have actually worked with an ACO in fostering a rabbit though. ACOs are often swamped in just dealing with dogs and cats, and rabbits require such specialized care. So that might be an option here too.)

In any case, I'm an above-board and open kind of person; the things I do are done in the sunlight, not the shadows, so to speak. :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Oh I wasn't questioning you, please don't think that! I had no idea of your deep involvement and care and well, I DID say I admired you, haaa, and I do! I really do. Best of luck to you, and thank you so much for what you're doing!

May '17

No worries - thank *you* for watching out for me! One does have to be careful to respect the laws.

Also @Rich- I agree (re: cages not being good to keep rabbits in).

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

I once caught one of two domestic rabbits that were loose in Garret Mountain Reservation - ran home and got carrots and lettuce and that worked with one. On another occasion - in cold weather -I was walking in the reservation - noticed a car parking by the side of the road - watched as the woman took a domestic rabbit out of her car - had a conversation of sorts and she ended up giving the bunny to me - though she thought it would have eaten better on Garret Mountain than in her home - One of the people I worked with was happy to bring it home and take good care of it.....Sadly Garret Mountain Reservation is a place were many dump their pets.................

4catmom 4catmom
May '17

Rich and Rebecka - My daughter has a 12'x12' fenced in area with a 3'x3' roofed shelter for her four pet rabbits. Works for them...they seem to be very happy and are not confined to a cage. One of the better chores for the grandsons is feeding them and keeping the area clean. I am voting with the rabbits as pets proponents.

DannyC DannyC
May '17

http://www.hackettstownlife.com/classifieds/39912

Strange that this ad was just posted a few days ago, but I don't think it belongs to Antonio since it's brand new, but who knows.

positive positive
May '17

I am an animal lover...rescued many over the years....volunteered for a local rescue. I do not agree with just releasing an animal if you no longer want it as a pet....BUT I think people on this forum get carried away at times. I see it all of the time when they notice a cat outside...all of a sudden the cat is in dire need of help, people are setting traps, calling rescues etc...and many times it's just somebody's cat that gets let outside.

I agree with Josh's last couple of posts. Let's keep things in perspective. It's a big world out there.

Any update on the elusive rabbit?

Natari Natari
May '17

I have 2 Havaharts set. I don't know if the ACO has any set up. So far, I've caught exactly one fat oppossum. Princess was spotted investigating a trap, though, so she knows there is something delicious inside. Might just be a matter of time. Note: I'm not a rabbit-catching expert. If anyone has any other ideas, please do post!

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

JRT - LMAO I almost wet my pants from laughing so hard,

Lifer
May '17

I was hoping an animal control person would have rescued Princess. Poor bunny living in predatory terriority. The kindness of people trying to help her is amazing.

Brooke Brooke
May '17

Thank you Rebecka for the update. Last year PAL gave me a big fishing net to try and catch a slick kitten who wouldn't go in a trap. If you want to borrow it please pm me. I will be back home later after an appt.

Natari Natari
May '17

JRT and Josh I agree with both of you... I would be anxious to know the response from the ASPCA..Their hands are tied and need to have the NJ State Vet come for evaluation to take an animal..She is one Vet for the entire state..

The ACO must have their hands filled with Dogs and Cats..what was his reply ?

This Rabbit has been living the free life for a year....

In my previous post about goats..these are NOT from Andover. Been living free, fat and happy for years..will not say where as there will be another group trying to shoot them up with TQ and rope em ...to take them out of the only environment they have only known.

If this bunny happens to get captured you should see if alstedes farm will take it. They have huge outdoor enclosure for their rabbits, probably 30ft x 30ft. That way the rabbit will be safe but not feel caged.

Jesse134 Jesse134
May '17

Alstede's? the death trap, oh God no

Scottso Scottso
May '17

They take wonderful care of their animals, scottso.

Jesse134 Jesse134
May '17

Any update on the white bunny? Is she still around? Hope she has been rescued.

Brooke Brooke
May '17

Just went to remove a raccoon from the rabbit trap. Princess does not seem to be going in the traps I set up. The nice family will move one to a different location where they've seen her to see if we have better luck. Any other ideas besides Havaharts?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

(She is spotted in different locations at random times, otherwise I would try to get a group together...)

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

As much as I admire what all you are doing for this once pet. After, from what the original owner said, a year of being in the wild, it seems this animal knows how take care of itself. It has eluded predators for that year and very vigilant humans for over a week. The average wild lifespan for cottontail is about 3 yrs. From the owner abandoning it, yes that was a stupid thing to do, until now we have no idea how old it is. Maybe for the next 20 yrs after this spring you'll see a partially white rabbit and go oh, ya he or she did his thing as an animal.

Yesimpc Yesimpc
May '17

Thanks Rebecka for the update. I didn't appreciate your comment Yesimpc.

Brooke Brooke
May '17

Re: White rabbit on Asbury Rd

Happy and healthy.

mohepinoke mohepinoke
Jul '17

Wow, that is awesome that you were able to catch Princess and get her to a vet for a check-up.

Do you need a temporary foster home for her, or are you keeping her?

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Am glad to see the rabbit is alive. Did someoe catch her/him?

Brooke Brooke
Jul '17

No - Princess is still wild and seems to be enjoying her freedom in the fields and forests. Saw her today on Asbury Road and figured I'd let everyone know that two months later she was doing just fine.

If anyone insists on catching her, after she has apparently spent near/over 365 days on her own successfully, you can certainly do so. Just not sure where she hopped off to.

mohepinoke mohepinoke
Jul '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.