Anyone know what this is all about? Thanks

pumpkin43 pumpkin43
May '17

From the BID:

http://hackettstownbid.com/2017/03/maifest-2017/

it's like nextdoor.com on steroids

Scottso Scottso
May '17

Maifest (Mayfest) is one of mankind's oldest traditions! It is the celebration of nature's bright reawakening after winter's cold darkness. The ancient pagan festival eventually took on Christian religious significance, much like Christmas.

Thanks GC! Yep, you can get all the information from the website. So basically:

This is the inaugural Maifest for Hackettstown. The town-wide event will take place on Saturday May 20th, 2017. It will run from 12pm-8pm on the block located between Washington & Main, at Grand Av. & Valentine St.

Czig Meister Brewing Co. & Man Skirt Brewing are going to be hosting games, contests, live music, and vendors throughout the day, along with a Kinderplatz on the corner of Washington and Valentine.
Homebrew University and NJ HOPZ will also be hosting their 2nd Annual Hombrewing Competition (this year with over 200 entries)!
Alternatively, you can check for updated information on our Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/HackettstownBID/

Staff@hktwnbid Staff@hktwnbid
May '17

How do you enter the home brew contest? My husband might want to do that.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

Unfortunately, I think the registrations have closed. you can try this website, but they may not accept the entry as it looks like entry bottles are no longer being accepted at shipping and drop-off locations.

http://njhopz.com/maifest17/

May '17

I wonder what games are at czig and manskirt....im hoping ping pong....maybe

Think of this like a spring version of Oktoberfest. So if you were here last fall for that, it will be very similar.

Cue connection donated the ping pong table, for free use in the public area, on Oktoberfest. They may do it again this time, but unsupervised kids kind of wrecked the paddles and poured stuff all over the tables during Oktoberfest.

NJHOPZ competition is no longer taking entries. I believe they hit their max number, something like 300 entries.

This event is going to be a lot of fun. Hope to see everyone there!

Czig Meister
May '17

I felt sad to read your post Czig Meister re what happened to the Ping Pong Table at the wonderful Oktoberfest event. If the table is present for Maifest perhaps a sign has to go up "children who Ping Pong must be accompanied by a Parent/Adult.) Maybe a small charge to play would be in order.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
May '17

So who is planning on going? I'm going to get down there at some point. I'm wondering if it's worth going down around 5? Will most activities be over by then?

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

OMG I just read Czig Meister's post above. Very sad that kids are allowed to damage things. SMH

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Would be great if these people with kids left them home. Do we really need to cater to the misbehaved, annoying children?

FredFinger FredFinger
May '17

Certainly not with all the misbehaved annoying adults we have to deal with on a daily basis, lol.

ianimal ianimal
May '17

I think this question is for BID: Is the town planning on having a "fest" of some kind every weekend?
What is the profit that the town actually makes from these events?
In a town that has major traffic issues, the constant fest weekend gets old in a hurry! If that doesn't annoy you, is it necessary to gouge your population every weekend with some sort of festival? My point is, once a family has blown their budget on the sprig fest, how can you ask them to come back and ask same family to do it again? Memorial day weekend will be coming up as well, another fest perhaps? I'm sure there will be people that will say "I love throwng my money away(to play ping pong,for real?)AND the traffic is awesome! I would be willing to bet that if we had less nail salons, pizza palors, and gas stations we would be able to attract business without having to close streets,etc. BID, please be mindful about double dipping from the same well. It gets to be too much.

townie townie
May '17

Is the Fest-apo knocking down doors, dragging people out of their houses, and forcing them to spend money on "fests" again?

emaxxman emaxxman
May '17

Here is the List of all the "fests" the BID is hosting for 2017

2/18 Winterfest
5/7-5/10 Springfest
5/20 Maifest
6/10 Arts & Crafts & Music Fest
9/17 Street Fair
9/29-10/1 Octoberfest

So hardly a "fest" every weekend

and last time I checked attendance was not mandatory, you can pick and choose which event you would like to attend. It's nice to have something to do in town if you choose. Also these events bring in large numbers of people from surrounding towns and even PA to our town which is good for our local businesses.

Jim L. Jim L.
May '17

I fully support these local breweries and festivals! It's an awesome idea and brings in people from out of town to try delicious beer from the couple breweries we have.

Michael J Michael J
May '17

Wow Townie. That's harsh. There are many people that are actually looking forward to Maifest. It's purely optional, if it's not your cup of tea, no need to attend. I applaud the BID, Czig Meister & Man Skirt, as well as many of the awesome restaurants in town, that are actually turning this town back into a pretty admirable town.

TownFriend
May '17

Ok, Jim you did not answer my question. How much money and how many people are actually brought into town?
So maybe they are not exactly every weekend, however you did prove my point that they are clumped during the same time of year. Now, throw in cops and rodders, M&M car show...
My point remains the same, if the businesses in this town offered more variety you might be able to attract more actual dollars than closing down streets.
Believe it or not, there are others ways to attract people who spend money other than being known as carni town.
P.S.- not every event needs to be a fest in order to "have something to do". Just Sayin'

townie townie
May '17

Downtown needs a life outside its identity of traffic, and businesses that populate the downtown need money to prevent more empty storefronts.

And if the town accomplishes breathing life into an often stale area, and bring people out on their own accord, bring it on. A "festivus for the rest of us!"

don't have the exact figures but the BID probably breaks even. Other than Springfest these events aren't revenue generators for the BID, they are a way to bring people to town and a way for residents in town to come together. They also are a big help to the local businesses. As far as # of people they bring? again don't have a exact #s but its a lot. Octoberfest had over 3000ppl, parades depending on weather bring in 12k or more, Springfest over 3 days again depending weather bring in even more than that.

Springfest didn't close any streets down
Winterfest didn't close any streets down
Maifest and Octoberfest only close 3 blocks
Parade and Street fair close Main street
Arts & Craft will only close 3 side streets down

Jim L. Jim L.
May '17

darwin, you need to set up a wallet checkpoint ahead of Maifest so that the police can count the people and determine just how much money they are bringing with them, lol.

Festivals clumped during the same time of year... you mean the time when the weather is typically pleasant? What a dumb idea that is.

Hackettstown is becoming well-known for restaurants and breweries. Getting people into town for any reason can only help those businesses.

ianimal ianimal
May '17

"I fully support these local breweries and festivals! It's an awesome idea and brings in people from out of town to try delicious beer from the couple breweries we have."

I agree 100%. I wish my town would hold some kind of festival. Then I wouldn't have to travel to H'town, Washington etc. But unfortunately, even time it's tried, nobody comes. Poor old Oxford. Some people don't realize how fortunate they are to live in a town that actually has things going on and has somewhere to go to actually sit and eat a meal.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

UGH! OMG people. By the way you are forgetting all of the events that surround St. Pat's day as well(street closed, etc) Is it possible to have a different opinion than those of you who comment on every subject everyday?!! Just because I mention that 6 festival over roughly 4 months seems excessive does not mean that I do not support the town OR the breweries! In fact breweries in NJ are old news by now, and there are plenty of towns that have them and don't need 6 festivals to try to support them. Those of you that think the spring fest does not snarl traffic obviously do not have children that go to school at Hatchery Hill. I stand by my original comment, if you need that many "special events" to draw a crowd, then perhaps that should be looked at. When Hackettstown was ranked as #72 on Money's list of best places to live, maybe there where two festivals if you could call them that and one parade. You all scream, about traffic whenever a new building is purposed, what gives? It is possible to support your local businesses(it's called go there and purchase) without wanting 6 festivals in my small town. I see neighbors and friends every time my family and I walk down Main St. and shop or, visit the library, or grab something to eat. You should try it sometime.

townie townie
May '17

Was school in session during the Friday night, Saturday and Sunday that the Spring Fest occurred?

Tracy Tracy
May '17

The economic revitalization of Hackettstown is now a problem?

Townie needs to relocate......I suggest Flint Michigan....do not worry about any festivals there, just don't drink the water....

Greg G
May '17

The "carni town" comment is what really got me. LOL

positive positive
May '17

Townie, maybe you should think about moving to a town without these "traffic snarling" festivals! Most people would rather more than less! Yay, BID!

Sport
May '17

I have 2 kids at Hatchery and it was a nonissue with Springfest

Also in 2005 there were the following fests in town:

Springfest
Memorial Day parade
Fall street fair
Father's Day street fair
Also a small carnival at Legion

We got rid of the Legion carnival
Added St Patrick Day parade
Added Hometown Holiday
Changed the Father's Day street fair to the arts and crafts festival
And ten when the breweries came in we add Octoberfest and Maifest

All of them help make Hackettstown a community friendly town that brings residents together.

Jim L Jim L
May '17

Not all these festivals directly support the local business. But rather help bring the community together. Sorry but I can't see that as a problem

Jim L Jim L
May '17

As someone who has been critical of BID in the past ( under another administration ) I think the new regime is doing a great job.These festivals are a great way to support the town, and for people to discover shops they might not seek out on their own. Obviously the people who come enjoy it. A great way to support small local business, and a little traffic isn't the end of the world.

Denis Denis
May '17

People need to get a life instead of complaining about town festivals. I mean really?!!

Hi! Can anyone answer my question? If we don't get there until 4 or 5 will we miss most of the fun stuff?

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Too bad I don't live in Hackettstown despite my zip code. I always wanted to live in a carni town!

Aquarius Aquarius
May '17

Not at all Calico

There will still be a band at each plot at 5pm-7. Plus a barrel roll and other contests at that hour. Plus dancers. Plus beer :)

Jim L Jim L
May '17

Awesome! Thanks Jim!

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

+1 townfriend

townie, based on your writing in this topic, you should be called "rural-oasis". people are attracted to activities, gatherings, adventures. while I don't go to most of our festivals, I appreciate that they're available, and believe they increase my property values.

and, if those big towns, like new York city or Philadelphia, can have festivals literally every weekend and close down streets, I think we can manage.

ken e
May '17

Maifest information regarding parking, band and activity schedules has been updated as of 12pm, May 19th.

http://hackettstownbid.com/2017/03/maifest-2017/

Looks like it's going to be a great event!! Hope to see you all there.

May '17

Calico, what kind of fest would Oxford have? Chinese food samples for all! Mommy and Me haircuts for humans and their fur babies. ;)

HappyTeacher HappyTeacher
May '17

LOL HT! They used to have quite an extensive festival called the Heritage Festival. It was pretty popular but they stopped doing it about 15 years ago. Since then, they have tried a variety of other things but haven't had much luck. The last two years they had a community day, but it was not that well attended. They are not having it this year because nobody wanted to commit to running it. I think they should try to do something down at the lake.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Maifest was a success! Good atmosphere as always at czigmeister!!

Michael J Michael J
May '17

What a great time!

Sport
May '17

We had a great time too!

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

My daughter and I went to the Maifest later in the day and we had a wonderful time..We almost did not go, and am so happy that we did. I love living in a town where community is important, and being able to walk our own streets safely to enjoy outings..We have gone every year to the Spring Festival, and sometimes we had money, sometimes not..Yet we enjoyed it still, and left with free candy, and lots of other free stuff..Sometimes, happiness and joy can cost in a small way, but for me, it is so worth it..

abigail abigail
May '17

Thanks to all who attended this year. It is great to hear that you enjoyed yourselves. We did too!! Hopefully this will become a yearly occurrence in our thriving town!

May '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.