Country Corner Store and Cafe

Just saw a sign that it's going to be a country store / cafe! Way cool! I love that old building. I think it's from the 1700's. Anyone have any additional info on it?

Not on the hotel but the church across from it is for sale.

The Man The Man
May '17

Finally, it will be something. I did go in a couple of times back in the day. A pool table and a few bar flies :)

part of the history of Mansfield ( http://history.rays-place.com/nj/war-mansfield.htm)
Anderson, formerly called Andersontown, is so called from its first settler, Joseph Anderson, who came here in 1787. In 1790 he built, the hotel which he, James Anderson and son, Joseph, conducted for many years. They were succeeded by Jonathan Pidcock, and he by Mr. Hann. Joseph Anderson built here a distillery that was operated from 1810 to 1852.

maja2 maja2
May '17

Only big concern is the amount of accidents there

Nosila Nosila
May '17

I'm glad to hear something is happening there. It's been empty way too long.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Glad to hear they are doing something with the Anderson Hotel. Many a good times in that place..

Joyful Joyful
May '17

I'd love permission to metal detect the yard around that building!!

Good morning everyone! My name is Christina Seeger and I am the owner of Country Corner Store And Cafe. I am so excited to here that you all are pleased about us reviving that beautiful building! Please have no concern about the traffic. We have spent alot of time considering the traffic pattern and will act quickly if any issues arise. The projected opening date is June 13th so keep an eye out!

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding the business!

Have a great day !!!

Christina Seeger Christina Seeger
May '17

Best of luck, that building needs a new life.

I live a few minutes down the road and really look forward to the opening of your store and cafe! Good luck!

WashingtonTswp Girl
May '17

Adding on to the Maja papers..... Only because I saw the magic word: distillery....

Hopefully JohnC will contact Christina (or vice-versa); ghost hunting very profitable during renovations. Sure would make me want to stop by after it opens :>)

"198 Warren County.

son, Samuel, and grandson, William, followed him in possession of
the old homestead.

Anderson, formerly called Andersontown, is so called from its
first settler, Joseph Anderson, who came here in 1787. In 1790 he
built the hotel which he, James Anderson and son, Joseph, conducted
for many years. They were succeeded by Jonathan Pidcock, and he by
Mr. Hann. Joseph Anderson built here a distillery that was operated
from 1 8 10 to 1852.

Peter Weller, son of Peter and grandson of George Weller, all
of Washington Township, came to Anderson in 1812 and purchased
the land ever since known as the Weller farm. His son, Abraham
W. G. Weller, was born in 18 14, and lived there until his death. The
Morris Canal, the D., L. & W. railroad and the trolley line pass
through the farm.

The Methodist Episcopal Church at Anderson was built in 1859. At
present it is connected with Mt. Lebanon, and J. L. Brooks is the supply.

William Little built a grist mill here in 1798. Dr. Beavers began
practice in Anderson in 1790, and Dr. John Ball practiced here for a
year before his death in 1838."

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '17

you should get John C to check for ghosts and Josh to find old stuff and use it for publicity - that would be awesome

skippy skippy
May '17

Best of luck. Can't wait to check it out when it opens :)

Very cool old building, glad it won't sit empty any longer! Good luck with the business! Will definitely be stopping in.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May '17

Now I am not only agreeing with SD we're making the same recommendations - scary stuff

skippy skippy
May '17

Holy crap! I actually read SD's post in it's entirety. I can't recall the last time I did that! ;-)

It was actually both informative and interesting.

Calico696 Calico696
May '17

Gee thanks he said smarting from the left handed back handed slap to his face. Like that was a valuable use of your tome time.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
May '17

we got him on better meds

skippy skippy
May '17

Was on there many years ago for an investigation. Very active.

John C John C
May '17

This is very exciting. Looking forward to patronizing the new establishment. Best of luck to you, Christina!

Out of curiosity, when was the place last open as a business? I ask because I moved to the area about a decade ago, and I think it has been vacant/for sale the whole time?! SD's interesting history only goes up to 1838. Wondering what the more recent history of the beautiful building has been. I'm sure those of you who are lifelong residents will know.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Where is this Anderson Hotel.

Haven't lived here very long.

Mom with Kids Mom with Kids
May '17

Mom with Kids, it is the building at the corner of rt 57 and asbury-Anderson road. Just west of the Mansfield Elementary School.

maja2 maja2
May '17

The last business was closed about 10 years ago. It was a bar. I didn't realize it was a distillery that makes sense because we found some very old hidden port bottles behind a few things in the building Haha! Very cool!

May '17

I would love to learn more about the building.

May '17

Thank you, Christina. Good luck over the next month in preparing for the opening. I can only imagine the amount of work that goes into such a project! Can't wait to visit your new store/cafe.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Don't think the distillery was in the Anerson Hotel, think it might just been in the neighborhood.

Anyone know what's happening to the surrounding farm --- buildings being leveled, trees too.

May '17

Stranger- it's all owned by Donaldsons. They own the hotel, the land where the yellow houses were torn down, etc.

Soft opening June 13th and grand opening July 1st.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

Good evening everyone, The soft opening has been delayed. I hope to be open the following week.

Jun '17

Thanks for the notice. It's better to be prepared than try to force it. I'm looking forward to the opening.
Good luck!

Is the Coming Soon opening soon?

Lamppost Lamppost
Jun '17

Opening tomorrow!

MannyMansfield MannyMansfield
Jun '17

Having seen the "OPEN" sign on my way passed the Country Corner Store and Café, a few days ago, I knew I wanted to check out the new restaurant.
Chrissy has done a great job renovating the place by creating a quaint, rustic country atmosphere. The décor is perfect.
We were greeted by a worker who was very enthusiastic and helpful. The owner, Chrissy, also spoke with us explaining her plans for the grand opening on July 1. (Wish were could attend...sounds like fun!)
For lunch we had the Sloppy Joe and Corner Store Panini. The Sloppy Joe had perfectly cooked roast beef. I opted for the coleslaw side which was a vinegar based slaw-very tasty. My husband's Panini was top-notch. He said it was very moist, flavorful, and delicious! He said his potato salad side was good also.
Give the Country Corner Store and Café a try. I know I will go back and try something else from their menu.

Just ate there this noon. Also had the Sloppy Joe and loved it. Awesome milkshake. A few bumps as they get it all together and organized. Very nice people; enthusiastic and helpful.

bullseye bullseye
Jun '17

It says it's also a country store. Can you just go in to buy country goods?

Outdoor women Outdoor women
Jun '17

Will try it soon. Are they open 7 days or closed on Sunday?

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Jun '17

They are open 7 days a week. Here is the Facebook page. The hours are listed there.

https://www.facebook.com/Countrycornerstoreandcafe

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

My husband I went there for brunch today. Food was GREAT. Owner and staff very friendly. They have daily specials. We really enjoyed the place. We will definitely go back. We had a great time. Well worth the wait. Even with a soft opening it was well worth the trip.

Snowflake
Jun '17

Have fun and good luck with the new endeavor. The neighbor welcomes you and we sure need new places to dine.

cat patten cat patten
Jun '17

I'm bumping this up because a buddy and I went there for dinner after work on Friday to check it out. He had an M&M Burger and I had the Pulled Pork Burger. Both were ordered medium rare, with a potato salad side and a drink.

We were both extraordinarily impressed with our whole experience! The burgers were thick, juicy & cooked perfectly to order, the M&M Burger having a noticeably fresh and tasty Portobello Mushroom topping it and mine having a load of tasty pulled pork topping it. We left both impressed and full, vowing to definitely return and enjoy some of their other offerings!

There were some outside seats, but since it was raining a bit we chose to sit at one of the two inside benches and we enjoyed the smell of cut wood while we dined. The decor inside was enjoyable "old country store" style. The hosts were awesome and attentive, definitely interested in making sure we got exactly what we'd ordered and that it was enjoyable. It certainly was - great job!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

Not open on sunday and still had lots of customers :-(

Jul '17

Got to stop today at the Country Corner Store and Café (former Anderson Hotel).. on our way back home from Washington, NJ for a bite to eat. We also had the opportunity to meet the owners and her Mom who chatted with us for a bit. The food was great and fresh (also had corn and tomatoes for sale there).. and the prices more than fair for the amount and quality we received. They are open Mon-Saturday and closed on Sundays for the Sabbath and a day of rest as they have been very busy and still renovating and working on the place. Very nice people , good food and a very unique atmosphere .. We will be back...

joyful joyful
Sep '17

Their pulled pork is FANTASTIC!

weebiekins weebiekins
Sep '17

joyful- Glad you enjoyed it, What did you have? Been wanting to try this place, but they are not open for dinner and we rarely go out for breakfast or lunch.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

Calico..They are open each day now Monday thru Friday from 5:30 to 5:30 and Saturdays 6-4..I came home with a menu which includes Pancakes (all kinds plus) Omlettes (hubby had their Western omelet which was huge and he said delicious) and I had a large French Toast Bagel with two big slices of sausage, egg and cheese). Their coffee is very high quality too and quite delicious..It is a order from the menu as you come in ...you fix your own coffee from a coffee bar and then go into the dining room area where they will serve you when everything is ready. Pay on the way out. Very casual and homey... The menu says they make all kinds of sandwiches (if it is in their deli case...they will make it for you)..salads and all kinds of burgers and chicken sandwiches. Nothing fancy...just a homey and unique place..something different!!

joyful joyful
Sep '17

I have been wanting to try this place! I unsuccessfully tried calling in an order last week. I must have tried calling 5 times before I said forget it. I will definitely stop in there soon but I recommend answering the phone and taking phone to go orders as so many people are on the run in the morning and don't have time to stop in, place an order, and wait for it. Good luck! I've heard wonderful things!

I stopped here yesterday and picked up a turkey sloppy Joe sandwich for lunch. The place is really cute inside and the girls working there were very pleasant. The sandwich was pretty tasty. The only thing I really didn't care for was the side of macaroni salad, it was really dry. Overall, a nice addition to the area.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

We stopped there this past weekend for lunch. Ordered the fish and chip special and a regular burger. Both were tasty and well presented. The fries had seasoning on them, maybe old bay? As others have said, the coffee is very good. Prices are reasonable and the service was excellent.

We sat outside and the server ran back in to just to bring us napkins. Good place to stop if you have your dog with you, as there is outdoor seating. The inside dining room looked nice too, country and homey but obviously new and very clean.

hktownie hktownie
Sep '17

This is such a lovely place. I stopped in yesterday and they had pumpkin spice coffee. With a dash of the pumpkin creamer it's worth the trip just for that (wish they were open on Sundays, I'd go back for it today!) And the people who work there are always so nice. Great addition, and love that it's not Starbucks or DD, but a place uniquely ours in a building with lots of history.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '17

My first visit was on a Sunday. Yeah, I was surprised it was closed as were the next two cars that pulled in after me......

Oct '17

I went yesterday and had a lovely breakfast-omelet that was perfectly prepared, and more than enough to fill me up as was my friends. The dining room is small, but very pleasant, and the lunch menu is also very appealing-I'll go back to try out lunch soon. The people working there were so warm and friendly. I highly recommend it, and good luck to the owners!

summerrain1 summerrain1
Oct '17

This refers to The Anderson Hotel. I grew up directly across the street. Last time I drove past the old place...it was disgusting. My grandpa is probably turning over in his grave :(
My grandpa , Jack Clifford, used to work at the Anderson Hotel. I can still see him crossing the street to go to work...waving to us all the way :)
I moved to Florida but I am in possession of the original ledgers from the General Store....dating from the late 1700’s. The house with the huge garage...used to be a store. Way back when people bought a peck of this and a pat of that! Each customer has their own page/pages and they were able to “run a tab” and pay for their merchandise when they got money. I tried to give the ledgers to the Historical Society of Washington, N.J but they were not the least bit interested! Such a shame :( The ledgers are awesome. Guess I’ll pass them on to my children or grandchildren.

Trudy Trudy
Oct '18

Building can be a little cold on a cold day, food is always fantastic. Had a very good Rueben last time I went.

Oct '18

Trudy

From sitting in the Anderson Cafe, enjoying their delicious food and looking at the house across the street I've seen what you mean. It's a shame that large old house has become so run down. I did see people walking around the lot that day (back in late June or early July) and was hoping that meant someone was hoping to fix it up, but after looking at it further I doubt if that was their plan.

On the better side of things, the oldest house in Mansfield Twp. (in Port Murray and built Circa 1838 or so) which was on the market seemed to have been sold to flippers or someone interested in living in it after restoring it. That had a large property, but was a relatively small house with a detached 2 car garage/workshop that belonged to a former Mayor apparently.

Your Granddad's old house sadly seems as though it may be too large and too far gone, but perhaps not. All it takes is people with money, skills and a vision... .

Speaking of vision. I wonder if many people know that both the Church across the street and the one right in Port Murray (not far from the oldest house in Mansfiled Twp.) are both for sale. The large church across from "The Anderson" has a large parking lot and pipe organ, and could be awesome if it was redeveloped as a small concert venue, as I've heard of being done before.

I'll have to ponder on those subjects some nore in a couple of weeks when I'll be able to get out to "The Anderson" once again. Probably for a delicious "Pulled Pork Burger", which is pulled pork on top of a juicy burger (states Capt. Obvious). I love it! Great food and great people there!

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '18

Trudy

You may wish to check with the Warren County Historical Society or the Warren County Library's Main Branch to see if either of them wish to take the "Business Ledgers" you have, since I feel they're more likely to appreciate them and have room to house them.

You could also try the Hackettstown Historical Society, although I know their collection seems a bit crowded, which is the only reason I brought them up last. They do have items from the surrounding area, not just Hackettstown proper.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.