Sliding Screen Door Repair With Dog Issues

I am hoping for suggestions , our problem with our sliding screen door. Our 40# hound takes a run at it when ever she see's something she might like to play with.
At this time there is.a large hole in it.
Is there any grate that could be screwed on?
We would appreciate any ideas and where to go for repair.
Many thanks.

susan c susan c
May '17

Yes, there is definitely a grate that can be screwed on. Our neighbors installed one so that they could keep their screen door with their German Shepherd. (We simply forewent the screen and keep the storm door on all year, for the safety of the Fedex guy lol.) I'll take a pic of their door grate when I stop by their home later and post it here for you.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

its pretty easy to repair yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDHChZMNO8

skippy skippy
May '17

yes home depot and lowes sell
them . probably Hometown hardware also

bobbybeergoggles bobbybeergoggles
May '17

The grate is the answer for saving the screen and door for sure.

I installed pet proof screening years ago. It is indestructible. My 73 pound boxer "knocks" on it all the time. A cat can scratch on it with no issues. The only complaint I would have is the visibility is compromised slightly due to the heavier gauge of the weave. That along with a gate and you'll be set. Home Depot sells the pet screening.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-48-in-x-84-in-Black-Pet-Screen-3004153/100565927

There's a doggie door for sliding screens doors, and it works great! I have one and it's a life saver for our 2 who want to be in and out constantly.
I forgot the name of the company, but if you google it, I'm sure you'll find it.
Well worth the investment!

Dogmom Dogmom
May '17

Dogmom- They look to work well. Home Depot / Lowes has them as well. I would like to install one however our cat would make his escape I'm sure.

What we did was put screen magnets on our screen, so the dog has a visual cue that he can't "go through" it... it works well. I'd rather have my dog stop short of the screen than bounce off it it... I'd be worried they could hurt their neck hitting it, at speed, head/neck first....

As for the "doggie door" for sliding screen doors, anyone got a link? That sounds interesting....

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
May '17

http://www.homedepot.com/p/PetSafe-8-25-in-x-12-1875-in-Medium-White-Freedom-Patio-Panel-PPA11-13135/203381339?cm_mmc=Shopping%7cTHD%7cG%7c0%7cG-BASE-PLA-D30-Doors%7c&gclid=Cj0KEQjwuZvIBRD-8Z6B2M2Sy68BEiQAtjYS3CzCI12SYtwmKJUGxTWYlTMCjEMFoNLcnMGjF6R55pYaAqwv8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here is one at HD. There are better quality ones as well as color choices etc. Amazon offers a bunch as well.

I'll need a taller one than that, I have a greyhound LOL. But now I know what to look for.

May '17

You could also consider screwing a piece plexiglass to the lower third of the door frame. It would protect the screen and visibility would not be compromised.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '17

Anyone know of a screen door repairman who makes house calls? My kitchen sliding glass door screen door has sustained a fatal blow and is currently flapping in the 35mph breeze... it survived 5 years of toddlers leaning and pushing on it, but finally gave up the ghost.

There's no way the door will fit in my car for me to take it somewhere to be fixed and borrowing/renting a truck would be a PITA, so I'd rather pay a premium and have it done on premises if that option is available.... thanks.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '20

My dog just ripped through out screen door today. Hopefully my husband can fix it.

Jesse132 Jesse132
Apr '20

I was at the Washington One Stop Ace hardware yesterday and they have a sign up saying they repair screen doors. Might be worth giving them a call.

ianimal, I expect that most glass shops that do service calls would fix your screen. However, it's going to be quite expensive--probably more than the cost of a whole new screen panel. And, of course, many such places are not doing service calls, at the moment.

Depending on how old the door is, and the brand, and how handy you are, you might be able to order a new screen panel from Home Depot, Lowe's, or a lumber yard like Blue Ridge, and have it delivered right to your home, probably for a fee (though some items are delivered free). You'd need to find out the door brand, and maybe the model number (often on a sticker, somewhere on the frame), and/or take a lot of pictures/measurements to the store.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Apr '20

JW, I think that is probably wise advice... replacement versus repair. It's an Andersen, probably dating to 1999, but there aren't any visible model number labels on either the door or the screen slider. But, you've given me somewhere to start... thanks.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '20

There is a screen door repair company that makes house calls, and that can custom make a screen door right there in the truck. But they are expensive. If your door is an Anderson, just measure it and go to Home Depot. There's very good chance of getting your screen door right off the rack... this is by far the cheaper option (to a house call)

Now, as far as getting it home... IDK if HD delivers anything. But if you end up having to ORDER the door, you can then set up delivery to your home instead of the store. And thinking that, you could also find the door you need at Home Depot, write down the item number, then order it online and have it shipped to your house.

But yes- Ace Hardware in Washington is by far the cheapEST option, if you can somehow get the door there and back again. I've had to replace my screen twice because of dogs going squirrel hunting, and after the 2nd time, I just bought a new screen door.

Apr '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.