Taking a pic of your food

Can someone explain to me why someone would take a pic of their food?

Mr Happy Mr Happy
Apr '17

Probably because the majority of today's social media generation feels the need for everyone to know where they are and what they are doing 24/7.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '17

Good point I don't get it. I don't care or want anyone to know where I am at .

Mr Happy Mr Happy
Apr '17

I don't get it either.

Ollie Ollie
Apr '17

Me either. I don't have Facebook and when I tell people they either freak out or stare at me because they have no idea what to say.

Jesse134 Jesse134
Apr '17

Re: Taking a pic of your food

Sometimes it is so epic a picture is necessary......

I take food pictures because I do a ton or restaurant reviews on Yelp so if you see someone in the area taking pics, now you know why!

Proud of something I cooked, share where I am enjoying a meal, interesting dish so I do. I'm guilty.

Peggy C. Peggy C.
Apr '17

Sharing a recipe, or weight management strategy.

HappyTeacher HappyTeacher
Apr '17

I'm guilty too Peggy, lol. CBGB, that is epic, where were you? Probably not much different than people posting their beer when out, or anything else. I'm way past the age of youth but enjoy those epic meals people like to share. Makes me want to try to make it myself or go where they're dining. We used to look at dishes shown in cookbooks, I guess it's the modern way.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '17

Blue plate special...Big Time Diner Mobile Alabama!

Martha's at Lake George.
The sweet young gal who made me that colossal cone seemed a bit amused by my sincere glee when she informed me that yes I can have two different flavors on one cone. That mountain of ice cream is Apple Pie and Salty Caramel.
Perfect after a fine day of motorcycling around NY's finest scenery.

Let people do what they want to do. If the food looks pretty then take a picture. I appreciate those pictures because it then allows me to check out the place or meal for myself.

helpthekitty helpthekitty
Apr '17

helpthekitty - Posting on Yelp in a review, yes. But constantly on Facebook, no. JMO. Of course people can do what they want, it's still a free country.

I still rock the dumb phone, so anything I post on FB is after the fact anyway. LOL I don't recall posting any pics of food though. ;-)

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '17

Because they feel like it

Want that cone!

skippy skippy
Apr '17

Nice combination of flavors CBGB

Bessie Bessie
Apr '17

There's a lot of crap on FB, thankfully it's easy easy to scroll past what doesn't interest you. Believe me, I do more than my share of scrolling.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '17

I like seeing and posting pictures of interesting or delicious looking food on Facebook. I'm in 2 groups that were designed just for that purpose. Much prefer that than the constant political preaching by some. Sometimes you're just so proud of your latest health food concoction you feel the need to share.

Denis Denis
Apr '17

I'm with Denis...would rather see a burger than someone's political stance

Hank Arthur
Apr '17

I'm at Morimoto's in Philly again for my wife's birthday. We took several pictures. We don't do face book. They are for our own memories.

@Josh, I am guilty of doing the same thing at that very restaurant. Isn't it great there?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '17

Guilty but I do it to show my son who is a chef. LOL

infogirl infogirl
Apr '17

Never had a bad meal @Morimoto's yet. Good thing we don't come here often. It adds up quick!!

These were amazing. Daikon radish fries.

happiest girl
Apr '17

First time I saw this phenomena it was live, in Tokyo, and in the 80's. Apparently it was the custom to spray something like clear plastic on the meal and put it in the window. Speaking zero Japanese, this was a plus. So at a third-story townhouse like dive, I picked a plate and minutes later got my yuge slab of liver...... Needless to say, any yuge hunk of meat at a third floor dive would be risky; calling it liver certainly did not help :<(

Didn't really notice it again for decades outside of Asia until I got my smart phone a few years ago. Suddenly it seemed the rage to snap and send anything anyone is doing. I scan delete most I get in email with a "nice' response to make the snapper feel better. However.... whenever on vacation or at a really nice dining spot, I take a snap and send it to those I want to know how fine a time I am having. Pretty stupid, but am always impressed how the camera makes everything look better.

This is one of the best parts from my $60 lunch outside of Orlando. I didn't drink. Personally, at $60, I think the joke was on me......

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Apr '17

I also want that cone!!!

The Charmer The Charmer
Apr '17

Remember the pickle on a stick? Here's a pickle impaled by a hot dog on a stick and dipped in cornmeal batter and deep fried. Why can't we get this at the crappy farmer's fair in Harmony? It's about the only thing that would draw me back there ever again, lol.

ianimal ianimal
Apr '17

The beast before it's dipped and fried... I'm almost disgusted with myself that I never thought of this, lol

ianimal ianimal
Apr '17

happiest girl.- I never heard of daikon radish fries before you showed them to all of us. Thanks. After some research, I found this recipe: http://www.christopherjamesclark.com/blog/daikon-fries-w-thyme-mustard-dipping-sauce-recipe/
Looks like very healthy, tasty stuff. Trying it this weekend. Thanks again.

DannyC DannyC
Apr '17

That's culinary genius right there.

Denis Denis
Apr '17

I guess I must be out of touch with the picture takers. When I am out getting food I really enjoy and love I want it hot when I eat if it is supposed to be. To take the time to frame a picture and post is wasted time to me. The people I know on Facebook have never ever posted a food pic when out eating in a restaurant. Maybe once in a great while something they made and want to share but never of food served to them in a restaurant. I would rather food taste great than look pretty but find it nice when it is both but not anything worthy of a post on social media.

happiest girl, have you tried the taro fries at Topo? They are delicious!!!

Jules Jules
Apr '17

Jules - was it a special? I don't see it on their menu.

happiest girl
Apr '17

Anyone ever been to Asia, or at least traveled with say, Japanese tourists? Blame the now long-standing food-picture ritual on them. It's a celebration of food, plain and simple. Nothing wrong with that, I say.

Sakura and Dragon Rolls from our new little sushi place. Look at the artfulness. The presentation of Asian food practically asks you to take a picture.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

I think there's a difference between constant streams of pics of absolutely everything going on 24x7 vs. something specific. I've taken pics of food, mostly at home, but the reason was there is already conversation about it. Maybe it's a new restaurant that people wanted to know about, so a picture is a good way to let people actually see and not just get a written report back. Or you talk about a Pennsylvania German specialty that other people haven't heard of, so you post a pic the next time you make it.

That ice cream cone is a great example - I don't care how many times you would describe it, that picture is the only thing to do it justice. ;-)

But I also wouldn't understand doing it everyday, and I'm definitely not letting food get cold over it either.

happiest girl, It's not on their website menu. We went in Saturday and it looks like their menu has been updated. Doesn't look like their website has been updated (still shows Valentine's menu) so I took a photo of it so we'd remember what we liked when ordering takeout. See attached photo.

Jules Jules
Apr '17

Wow, thanks Jules!
Taro is used to make vegan meats which I've had at several Asian restaurants. Really delicious. Can't wait to try the fries, thanks.

happiest girl
Apr '17

Rebecka, which new sushi place? That looks wonderful!

That ice cream cone reminds me of the Monster cones that Dover Dairy Maid did in the late 80's early 90's. I think over the years the portion there shrunk and I don't even know if it's still open, but they would do a cone that size back then!

I mostly only take photos of something I'm cooking and I share the recipe with a fiend (the old cookbook photo idea). Occasionally I'll take a photo - more for us - of something great we have out - especially if the presentation is amazing. I don't put it on social media.

dadogmomma dadogmomma
Apr '17

Wasabi Sushi in the strip mall on Stiger.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

I haven't shared any food pics on the internet, but in the past if I created a dish at home that was "epic" (in my own mind) I took a photo, pretty much just for memories sake.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.