Old Electronics and Cords and Cords and Cords

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this scenario..in the process of cleaning out some drawers and closets, I'm overwhelmed with the number of old phones, cords, tablets, video recorders, that I've found. The person trying to downsize and get rid of the things no longer used says "toss", who want's this stuff but the hoarder in me says you might be looking for that cord, recorder, etc. someday. We have new earbuds that used to come with the I-phone, earphones we've tried only to discover they weren't really the ones wanted, WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THIS STUFF? I have a 30 year old video recorder (a dinosaur) that I just can't get rid of, it was probably over $900. since it was the newest technology. Please offer your thoughts or experiences cleaning out your electronic collection.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '17

Wish I could, am in the same boat. Have an old non working piano as well!!!

dsl1121 dsl1121
Apr '17

Warren county electronics disposal day is your best bet

Bug3
Apr '17

If either of you have old video tapes (VHS or Beta), VCR's or pre-'90s televisions (except those behemoth cabinet televisions), I'll gladly take them away free of charge!

Sycamore Sycamore
Apr '17

Bug3 is right - electronics clean up day where the old electronics are recycled. The cords you should take maybe two of each type to save, and the rest go to a wire reseller. There is a thread in the past about a couple of companies where you can do that, particularly one in Rockaway.

The recorder and earphones if they work sell at your garage sale. You will be surprised what sells. I am always looking for ear phones.

infogirl infogirl
Apr '17

Staples offered a FREE recycling program, but I'd call the store first just to make sure a particular location participates. Here is more info

http://m.staples.com/sbd/cre/marketing/sustainability-center/recycling-services/?icid=SustProducts:topnav:3:RECYCLE:

Best Buy also recycles.

Contact your local school STEM programs and scouting groups as they may have a need for various projects.

Antimony Antimony
Apr '17

You can easily drop off at Green Vision in Randolph. They train autistic teens and adults to dismantle and recycle electronic waste. The drop off is very simple and you will be helping the autistic community with their program. Below is the link.

http://gvinc.org/

Closer than Randolph is Abilities on Route 31. They do the same with electronics.

Rockaway Recylcing will take (and pay you for) that stuff, if you have enough to make it worth it.

You'll need to separate the cords/wire (for the copper) from the power supplies (which they also buy). Electronics should get broken down into circuit boards, metal, memory, batteries (keep lead, lithium, and NiMH separate too), etc.

They only take ~500 lbs minimum for steel, but any weight for the other stuff. Don't expect a huge check, but at least it's getting recycled properly.

Just drive up with your bins, they weigh and dump them for each category, then you collect cash at their ATM.

Prices/lb are online at https://rockawayrecycling.com/scrap-metal-prices/

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '17

I have a large 30"x30" Toshiba TV I need to get rid of, very heavy. I've posted it for free with a pic in the electronics section on HL, running it on freecycle, and also posted it on craigslist. No takers. Any ideas? Needs to be gone by April 15th! Thanks!

rose,

April 15th is the Electronics recycling day at the Oxford Landfill. If you live in Warren County, you can take the TV there. But I have not found anywhere else yet that will take them. Abilities of NW NJ used to, but they stopped taking them because the person that took them FROM THEM stopped taking them.

TVs are a pain in the butt to get rid of.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Apr '18

4.15 is electronics day 8-12 at the landfill.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Apr '18

Re: Old Electronics and Cords and Cords and Cords

Dump in Oxford this Sunday

Cherie2 Cherie2
Apr '18

Perfect timing, Rose. Take it to the dump on Sunday: http://pcfawc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Spring-2018-Electronics-Recycling-Event.pdf

I had a large tv I listed for free and it took foreeeeeeeever to get a taker, so I can sympathize!

Thank you all! It's about 80 pounds. Need 2 men and a truck or SUV. Anyone?
Will pay cash, I live in town!

I saw the other day on a Facebook post that there was a man named Dave Miller who recycles old appliances, electronics and computers. Lives in Lebanon...I do not have a phone number but might be able to find him on Facebook. P.S. Just found his profile page under David Miller, Lebanon, NJ. (if you want to try that)....he also does yard work and lives on a horse farm.

joyful joyful
Apr '18

Rose, I'd gladly oblige, I have 2 TVs of my own to dump, but unfortunately, due to an unexpected trip, I will not be here this weekend. I'm screwed- IDK how I'm going to get rid of these damn things now!

Apr '18

JR ,

I also have old TV's ...seems no one wants even if working ..

Steven Steven
Apr '18

I'm pretty sure there was an article in the warren reporter newspaper that said some items cost $50 to bring to the dump. I would double check by before going. It's a long line usually....

Doublecheck
Apr '18

Cant find anyone to transport for me:(
Geeze, can't even give a TV away these days

I should start an annual service next year- on electronic recycling day, I will come and pick up everyone's TVs and take them! For the price of a beer. (1 beer per TV of course, lol)

Apr '18

Take them, and more to Hope free cycle this Sat. 4/14/2018. Just Google it for details.

BEVBIGHEAD BEVBIGHEAD
Apr '18

One of the benefits of a husband or man in your life I guess, to cart all the crap away

Doublecheck - The flyer posted above as well as the Warren Report both say the same thing. There's one line that specifically says "NO Cost to Residents".

This is one of the only places that accepts the really old tube TV's as well as the large projection type.

Hackettstown is having their own electronic recycling event Sat May 12. They'll also take the old type TV's. It's free for Hackettstown residents. That would be another, closer, option. But it won't apply for the couple of people from Mansfield or Independence asking about alternatives.

"I should start an annual service"

Gee, even down here in our back-woods hillbilly (or so some people would think) state, we can bring electronics, tires, oil, paint, appliances, furniture, household trash, etc. to the county convenience centers 6 days a week, all year long, for free.

I've seen couches, refrigerators, washers/dryers, and full lawn tractors in the various containers. Basically if it fits in the appropriately labeled roll-off it's fair game.

So far the only thing I ever had to pay to discard was ~2000 pounds of creosote treated railroad ties, and at $35/ton that was pretty reasonable (except loading/unloading from my truck by hand kinda sucked).

I guess high taxes don't get you everything ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Apr '18

My Best Buy has a giant bin for electronics recycling - not sure if this is a nationwide thing

Skippy Skippy
Apr '18

Best Buy nationwide does take an awful lot. But not everything. And TV's have a charge for them. ($25 I believe) Best Buy will come and take TV's which I think is $100. They send one of their Geek Squad vans.

Cool - they will for sure take your old cables and stuff. Unless you want to take the Composite and S-video cables and ps/2 mice to a 3rs house lol.

Skippy Skippy
Apr '18

I actually have an old Panasonic Tau Hi-definition tube TV that weighs 150+ lbs. that I bought years ago after it was advertised on the classifieds here. I still absolutely love it, even though I had to get a special heavy-duty corner Sauder TV stand to put it on and have a friend help me lift it and adjust it on there. Thanks to "K", owner of Kilhaney's Pickles for that one;-) by the way.

Until I can find an LED or other display that works as well, there's no way I'm getting rid of it. The only "refresh rate" I've ever liked was the 600hz on a plasma TV which has its own drawbacks in terms of grayscale/brightness. For some reason, my eye (even at 240hz refresh rate), picks up the jerkiness of the movement in action sports, etc. and while it doesn't actually make me nauseous from motion sickness, is just as unsettling as anything. The 1080 interlaced display doesn't do that, so it's more relaxing for my eyes, even though it uses power like a ___ comparatively!

I think JR's TV removal service idea would be awesome, though I'd think it should be more a six-pack of his favorite beverage, rather than a single beer would be a fairer price (don't want to be greedy, but you have to value your services appropriately JR, lol - you can always settle for less, depending on a person's situation). Of course a TV like mine would be a 12 pack or case worth for removal, since you need a buddy and would have to share:-D

Phil D. Phil D.
Apr '18

JR.., do you have any friends or a connection who would want to pick up a few bucks cash to help me? I will throw in a case of beer., thanks!

GC, Do you know if Hackettstown takes TV's of any size like the one tomorrow? I'm also looking to get rid of an older 150+ LB Sony Trinitron 32". I see Best Buy limits their collection to under 32".

Grascal
Apr '18

Grascal -

Contact Hackettstown DPW. This is the first time they've done an event on their own just for town residents so there's no past history to go on. And the yearly DPW flyer does not say there are any specific sizes:

http://www.hackettstown.net/app/download/14013185/2018+Schedule+of+Events+pg.+1.pdf

Re: Old Electronics and Cords and Cords and Cords

This article must have been intended for residents outside of warren county as there are fees listed for disposal....that is why the confusion between the flyer and the article. That's all.

Doublecheck
Apr '18

My sister had a 36 inch Sony tube tv sitting on a wood stand that was placed on some sort of floor mat that had little nubs on it. The tv weighed soo much that when she finally removed it the hardwood floor has a thousand little holes in it now. Oops.

I am not getting rid of my 60ZT60 any time soon. Anything I've seen since is a downgrade in my opinion.

I have soo many cables for all the different things I have that plug in, I have no idea what goes to what anymore. Soo many different little shape differences. Ugh.

went to the warren recycle center this morning for the electronics day recycling . the line of cars was almost out to Rt 31. Really??? Wake up Warren County, you need to do this type of recycling more often. they should have a drop off container on site where residents can bring electronics daily.

billyjoe Jimbob billyjoe Jimbob
Apr '18

Dropped off an old TV today at the recycling center, 2 hours of my time. The poor woman standing in the cold, told me this is the first time in 2 years they have done this, they didn't have a vendor. We left there at 12:15 and the line was just about to route 31.

Recycled
Apr '18

Rose,

Sorry, I was out of town all weekend, which is why I didn't reply (and why I missed the damn recycling day myself!)

Mark,

Some in places in NJ do have that service. I just found out my brother-in-law's town does (he lives in Jamesburg), so hoping one of the days he comes up this summer he can take mine for us. Too bad I can't just drive by and throw it out the window on Murphy's lawn!

Apr '18

As per our DPW Director any size TV can be brought to the free electronic collection on Saturday May 12 for Hackettstown residents

Jim L Jim L
Apr '18

"Hackettstown residents"....

My driver's license says "Hackettstown", does that count? Or are we talking HackettsTOWN proper, and how would you prove that anyway?

Apr '18

It does not count, it's paid for by Town of Hackettstown taxes and not Mansfield or Independence, etc. They know by your address.

Proof of residency is required. So only open to Hackettstown residents

Jim L Jim L
Apr '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.