Fertilized Chicken Eggs

Doesn't anybody know if Is there a farm in hackettstown area that sells fertilized chicken eggs? Thanks you

I have some.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Apr '17

Do you have an incubator? And a brooder for the chicks?

Jesse134 Jesse134
Apr '17

Thank you weedwacker
I bought today 38 eggs.
yes I have an incubator but not a brooder yet.
Jesse 134 do you sell brooder?

No, when we got our first chicks i went to lowes and got a refrigerator box and used that. We only got six chicks though and they were flying out of it by about 5 weeks old. Now our broody hens rais our chicks, no more work for me! If you are new to chickens check out backyardchickens.com, lots of great info!

Jesse134 Jesse134
Apr '17

Thank you jesse134!

If you have questions about chicken rearing just start a thread! Plenty of us out there to help!

Jesse134 Jesse134
Apr '17

Not chickens - but do any of you deal with/sell New Guinea Hens? Looking for them for a more natural insect control. I don't have interest in chickens and eggs - way too much work for me!

Mike in LV Mike in LV
Apr '17

Guinea hens tend to be very loud and they roost in trees. They also tend to wander away and not come home. Research them before you buy them. If you decide you want them you can order chicks from a hatchery.

Jesse134 Jesse134
Apr '17

If you like being a prisoner on your own property get guinea hens. They will screech and scream every time you open the back door, or any time there is a loud noise within a 1/2 mile of your home or a car goes down the street. And yes, they will eat a lot of bugs.

Indie Indie
Apr '17

The foxes is Long Valley will make short work of the New Guinea Hens!!

LongValleyMom LongValleyMom
Apr '17

I knew they were loud - didn't think it would be that loud. I live on 5 acres, with about 1/2 an acre of lawn. Its a very quiet, dead end road, so no worries about traffic. I knew they roosted in trees, which I thought would be easier than having a coop, dealing with cleaning it, etc.

Are roosters an option?

Mike in LV Mike in LV
Apr '17

Roosters are also loud but you could probably keep a few of them together if the coop is large enough.

Jesse134 Jesse134
Apr '17

Mike,

We had a guinea hen for years. Yes, they are loud, but not unbearably so. I never felt like a prisoner as Indie describes above, lol.

And they roost high in trees at night so the foxes aren't an issue.

He's since died and we are going to get another one because the ticks are so bad without him here!

Thanks folks, appreciate the info.

And MB, tick control is the main reason I'm looking into it. They're relentless this year.

Mike in LV Mike in LV
Apr '17

Hey Mike,
Let me know if you find and keets locally. I am also interested, if anyone is raising quail locally for meat or eggs?
If your looking for a rooster down the road, I can probably help you with that.
Chicken owners, where do some of the laying hens owners sell there extra eggs?

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Apr '17

Mike, if you're interested they have them at McMurry, minimum order of 30... Limited availability in another month or so. (Depending on how quickly we get the garden stood up I might be interested in splitting an order--- 30 is just too damned many!)

brendan brendan
Apr '17

Weedwacker - I have a friend in a neighboring town who has plenty of roosters he'd give me, but I wasn't sure I wanted to go that route. They are young now, but in another month, they'll probably start to crow, and I know from being at his place that's at about 4:30 in the morning. Think I'll pass on the roosters! :)

brendan - yes, 30 seems a bit much! I was thinking around 8 would be enough? But really have no idea.

Mike in LV Mike in LV
Apr '17

For all the fowl owners out there, are the guineas (or any breed for that matter) fast and clever enough to outrun/outfly dogs? It's the backyard where the dogs are that I want to control the ticks! Can the cohabitate?

Hike Hounds Hike Hounds
Apr '17

I would consider splitting a third or fourth of 30 Keets from McMurry . Any other folks out there want some screamers.?

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Apr '17

I believe you have to be a member to buy from hackettstown auction, check out the website.

Jesse134 Jesse134
Apr '17

Weedwacker / Mike - I'd be all in on splitting an order, not sure how my wife feels. We already have hens, so that's not the issue, she just wanted to do turkeys this year! (Everybody has two turkeys, right? Thanksgiving and Christmas!)

brendan brendan
Apr '17

Hike hounds, I tought my dogs not to eat the chickens and my mama hen taught them to not go anywhere near her chicks. She taught the cats too. It really depends on the dogs prey drive. But to answer your question, no they can not out run or out fly a dog.
For additional tick control I use Natural Care + drops on my dogs and it has been working great! My dogs smell like cloves and it's great! It is not an overwhelming smell. It is about $8 on wal Marts website and you get 4 tubes. It lasts about 3 weeks.

Jesse134 Jesse134
Apr '17

Someone sell hens?

Thanks Jesse! I'll check it out!

Hike Hounds Hike Hounds
Apr '17

Have you ever tried selling extra eggs on this site? By July I should be getting over a dozen a day. There are only two of us in our house hold. When I drive the back roads of great meadows, I always see little eggs sales signs at the end of driveways. I wonder how they do sells eggs?

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Apr '17

Re: Fertilized Chicken Eggs

Put them in a cooler and put a sign out

The Man The Man
Apr '17

Weedwacker- I bring my excess eggs to work, leave them stacked up in a veggie drawer in the fridge with a cup for money. Only been doing it about 6 months now but I've got several reliable customers. Works very well. With any luck I'll try and do the same with some of the garden excess this year too.

Brendan Brendan
Apr '17

Breden sounds like a good plan. I am thinking of going big with the garden this year. I was gifted tons of seedlings of cabbage red/green. Lettuce red/green, broccoli & spinach. Way way too many for ourselves.
Back to chicken's, I have lost 14/15 birds in the past year to foxes,raccoons, & unknown others. I'm looking to put up a hot wire very soon.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Apr '17

Mink are awful for getting chickens too. They just slaughter them all, more than they will eat.

hktownie hktownie
Apr '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.