2018-19 Lawn Mowing/Landscaping Thread

There's a lot of info in last years thread but I'm not really looking for a lawn service right now. I'd like recommendations for some minor machine grading, adding top soil and seeding. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

justintime justintime
Apr '17

Toby Barkman in Califon

It's lawn mowing time! Have you started? Looks like our place is just about ready.

And... today I used a backpack leaf blower for the first time in my life. I think I missed my calling. That thing is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

Looking for someone to do a good yard spring cleanup. Leaves, twigs, etc from the winter as well as clean gutters on the garage. I see in the classified section here on HL people advertising but had already booked one and he bailed. Anyone reliable?

JB400 JB400
Apr '17

You buy the top soil have machine delivered v from rental place call an operator me I'll come over do a days worth of work for a wage and most likely be cheaper than any body out there.

Operator Operator
Apr '17

Justin, if you find someone worth recommending for that, please post it here- I need exactly the same thing and haven't found anyone reliable yet.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Apr '17

Please recommend a Lawn Service with 100 percent LEGAL workers. (I don't want any more 12 year old Illegals mowing my lawns.-And yeah-IF that Under aged 18 worker accidentally lops off his finger on YOUR property- He can Sue You, and end up Owning Your House!!!
So yes, I want an excellent, 100 percent LEGAL Lawn Mowing company referral please.

Oh God here we go again.......

positive positive
Apr '17

Lili - SMH!!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Apr '17

Bothered, I've a feeling Lili is Little Rascal...

positive positive
Apr '17

Don't know what smh means. And who is little rascal? Is he good or bad?
Meanwhile, you should check out the laws. My son was NOT allowed to mow neighborhood lawns until he was 18.
(Guess it's better for our youths to hang out...)
AND my neighbor was sued... So... again, WHO has a nice legal lawn service I can use in Hackettstown area?

Re: 2018-19 Lawn Mowing/Landscaping Thread

We have a stone patio with weeds growing between stones like this. I usually pull them up by hand, but it takes a long time (large patio). We like to avoid using any chemicals, such as roundup. Is there anything natural I could use to get rid of them? Someone said salt?? TIA for any tips.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

Rebecka - you might look into the "EcoSmart" brand of products. They have a weed/grass killer that's organic and should do the job. I definitely would suggest not using salt as that may well end up other places and kill more than you wanted.

Hi Rebecka
You can use vinegar or boiling water. If you have a lot of weeds you will need a lot of either liquid! I'm not sure if these methods kill the roots and you may have to pull them out anyway when they start to dry out. Round up tends to disintegrate weeds so there is no need for further action! Eco Smart sounds like a good choice....in fact I think I bought this last year! I have to take a look and see

Gardenfish Gardenfish
Apr '17

Thank you both!

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

vinegar, water, epsom salts, and a bit of dish detergent (helps it stick to the weeds) makes a good weedkiller.

MeisterNJ MeisterNJ
Apr '17

I've tried vinegar, got poor results.

If you could bottle my dogs urine, that would kill anything!

Apr '17

I have a teenager who is available to do lawns again this summer. He did Christine's lawn all last summer among others. He also can do spring clean ups etc. Has all his own equipment.

Njchia Njchia
Apr '17

If it was just doing lawns then I would have suggested AMC (Adam Cavanaugh) but JIT said it really isn't that. He can do the top soil and seeding and even some hardscaping. But the grading is different thing, few companies are going have the equipment for that. I first met AMC when he was doing some back hoe work for my lawn guy so I know he can operate the equipment. But even just to do a rental and have them do it is expensive. You really want a company who has the equipment if you're going to get a reasonable price.

You might call someone like Intercounty to do the grading work depending on how much it is. Then you would have a whole lot more choice of real landscapers (not just lawn cutting) that can do all the rest.

Bob Schubert has all the grading equipment and does amazing work. He cleared 5 acres of brush and made it into a beautiful, even lawn and garden space for us. Note, however, that I'm not sure he does *small* projects. We've only used his services for large projects (grading and putting QP down on whole driveway; clearing, grading and seeding several acres, etc). But he is the best if you can get him! Fairly priced and truly one of the most upstanding men I've ever met!

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

Rebecka - Since you now know the "true power of" (in Darth Vader's voice) a backpack blower...for a chemical free weed killer...blowtorch. Char them good and it will kill them for quite a bit.

Other than that, smothering them with a tarp or something similar is another way. Vinegar only kills the leaves but doesn't kill the root.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '17

We are using Rod's Tree Service out of Mt. Olive. Rod also has a landscaping construction business. We used him 3 times last year to take down 20+ trees as our backyard was all forest. No grass for kids to play. I was able to get several loads of fill dirt and had it spread around. Rod is scheduled for next week to come and properly grade, remove rock from the fill dirt, bring in a few loads of topsoil, seed and hay. He is always very responsive either he or his secretary will respond. Comes out quickly to quote but we did have to wait a few weeks last year with the trees as his schedule was full. Will probably use him again when we are ready to landscape the front yard.

JellyB
Apr '17

A blowtorch!?! Now we're talking!! Then I just put on the backpack blower and blast the ashes away? That sounds like too much fun to be legal.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

Maybe the backpack blower comes with a flamethrower upgrade?

ianimal ianimal
Apr '17

Those weeds don't stand a chance.

On another note - is there a type or brand of grass seed that works well for our area? I went to HD and was kind of overwhelmed yesterday... we have some largish patches that need to be re-seeded. Anyone have good experience with a particular type?

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

I think any seed (as long as it's the right type for location: "sun", "sun & shade", "full shade"), works... the key is keeping it covered and WATERED. Without manual watering, it's going to take awhile. If you water it 2x/day, you'll be amazed how fast growth starts.

Apr '17

Kentucky Bluegrass is the gold standard for thick turf grass. Look for a brand with a high percentage of that. I think Lesco was the best that I found.

The downside of KB is that it will brown the fastest (a la go dormant) out of all the cold season grasses. That's why unless you're going to water your established lawn everyday, which is insane, going with a blend of grass seeds is the best.

Tall fescue (I believe) is the most drought tolerant. It will still go dormant in the hot late July and August days but it will be the last one to do so.

Avoid any blend that seems to have a high % of "annual" seeds. They will grow once and die off. You'll need to reseed again next year.

As JR said, getting the sun/shade/sun-shade mix is more important. Seed now with all of the rain we're getting. Grass will look rough this year but should come in really thick and healthy next year assuming you have good soil and don't trample the new growth that much.

emaxxman emaxxman
Apr '17

Going rate for lawn cutting 1 or 1.5 acres in the area??

granny granny
May '17

Looking for some nice bushes that keep their leaves all year, grow about 4-5ft, and are truly deer resistant. Can anyone recommend something?

LJRubi LJRubi
May '17

Lili - did you ever get your lawn cut, LEGALLY?

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
May '17

"My son was NOT allowed to mow neighborhood lawns until he was 18."

Lucky boy. Hopefully same age for dishwashing, bed making, and room clean up.

Or try this: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/07/11-year-old_chatham_kid_runs_o.html Look backpack blower --- cool.

I have the romblower myself. Just turn it on and leaf; it robot blows the entire area. Like to watch it chase the cats.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
May '17

LJ Rubi, have you looked into the ilex crenata/Japanese holly?
Also boxwood
http://www.homenursery.com/blog/bid/328704/Green-Velvet-Boxwood-VS-Winter-Gem-Boxwood-comparison

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '17

Holly is a particularly good choice with really pointed leaves yet dark green all the time. Besides boxwood, I would also suggest cedars. You can get some of those very low to the ground and easy to shape. Deer avoid all of those.

granny - the more the property, the more things like a fence or how flat it is and other factors affect the price. You really need to call a couple of the people recommended here or many of the other landscaping threads. Have them look at it and give an estimate.

Look up Manhattans. Green all year deer dont eat them that much.

Deer loved my holly, every last thorny leaf.

Just sayin'.

Hike Hounds Hike Hounds
May '17

I agree, deer really love holly.

Deer *will* destroy American holly, but typically leave my Japanese holly alone.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '17

I apologize to anyone I missed regarding my son doing their lawn. I just found some messages in my spam folder!

Njchia Njchia
May '17

One thing about Holly is that the leaves are very sharp. When they fall, dogs have a difficult time walking in the area, and forget about humans walking barefoot anywhere around them. If you plant them near a path where you regularly walk, brushing against them can be painful. Just something to keep in mind. Also - they can grow *huge*. Much taller than 4-5 feet. When we got our property our Holly "bushes" (more like trees) were already about 20' high. Now I think they're over 30'.

Unrelated question: anyone else have issues with invasive Russian Olive bushes? We've literally bulldozed some of them. I'm wondering if anyone has any better suggestions, and also kind of curious if it's a widespread local issue?

Yesterday I tried a chainsaw for the first time in my life, with the hopes of being able to get rid of the ones growing along our driveway. But while I'm comfortable with lots of other power tools, I learned that a chainsaw is above my pay grade, as they say. Too scary. I now have quite a bit of respect for the people that dangle high up in trees and use them! Disappointed because I was expecting it to be fun.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

I love this site and always come here for recommendations. I am looking for a landscaper to do some edging, mulching, weeding... It looked like may people recommended AMC so I gave Adam a call and left a voicemail. And waited and waited. No response. Seems typical these days. I'm going through the same thing with roofers. Anyway, any other recommendations for landscapers in the area? I see lots of trucks go by but I don't want to just call anyone. I always go on recommendations.

JB400 JB400
May '17

My lawn keeps growing and it won't slow down..... Seems really vigorous this year.

Rebecca ---- gas chainsaw? If your branches are wrist-sized or smaller, try an electric --- might be OK and less of a OMG-I'm gonna die fear factor. I looked at pictures and looks like hedge trimmers (yuge ones) or even pruners would be a bit small. Their more like finger-sized or smaller. Electric chain saw might make easy enough work out of it without less of a fear factor.

Now I have a 10-inch circular blade for my weed whacker ----- not as close and personal as a chainsaw but certainly will wake you up as the open blade bounces a bit. Probably tmpower for you though. Pretty good up to wrist-width.

May '17

My husband is extremely allergic to freshly cut grass so I've always been the one to cut it. I generally don't mind it at all but I'm now pregnant and in my second trimester and I think it's about time that we hire someone to do it for the time being before my husband starts getting some ugly looks from our neighbors!! Ha!

Does anyone have any recommendations for this service? Reasonable prices? Any help would be appreciated. I read through this thread but a lot of it was about landscaping and we just need mowing/weed whacking for now. Thanks! :)

Anyone? Recommendations? Anything would be helpful.

Reliable, reasonable, great service. Very happy with them.

https://www.facebook.com/CutsPLUSLandscaping/

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Aug '17

Thank you Yankeefan!

Congratulations, Anom!

Tracy Tracy
Aug '17

Thanks Tracy!!

Any other suggestions...need stone work done on driveway and a few small rock walls rebuilt maybe some dirt and pea gravel delivered.....

How about some gravel, form up, and put cement floor in out building?

Aug '17

Looking for a one time move out cut today if possible. Sold the mower & grass got a bit too high!
Thanks!
Call 201-874-7644

Diane Barber Diane Barber
Sep '17

Hi all, just moved into a home with a lawn that desperately needs to be cut. Left a message for Leo's Landscaping and Cuts Plus but I have have not heard back. Does anyone have any other ideas? We were hoping to hold off on purchasing a lawn mower until next year. Thank you!

Bonina Bonina
Sep '17

We use Granata Landscaping and they are terrific! We have a large property and they have been wonderful for both Spring and Fall clean up, as well as consistent and great looking cuts and trims all summer! highly recommended!!!

Glenn & Tammi Huff Glenn & Tammi Huff
Sep '17

FIY
I called Granta Landscaping in Long Valley and their phone just rings.
JPB Lawn Care in Great Meadows- left message- no response after a week

Need a Fall Clean up.
Jeff

Jeff
Nov '17

Advice please: I tried to operate a heavy, gas-powered chainsaw with an 18" blade a while back. It was beyond me. By a lot. It felt quite unsafe in my hands; I know my limits. But I like power tools and being outdoors, the invasive Russian Olives are driving me mad, and no explanation for this but... I'm really, really itching to use a chainsaw.

So... I'm now trying to decide between these two:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01JMZGPGQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00N8PQCE2/ref=ox_sc_act_image_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Any thoughts? (Even if it's "stay away from chainsaws, woman" lol.) I've actually never heard of the Greenworks brand. Both seem to get decent reviews on Amazon... don't know how to choose.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '18

I am not saying stay away. What I will say is you should not operate a power tool your not comfortable with. You need to find one in your comfort level. I suggest going down to Mayberry and working with Don Mayberry to find the right unit for you.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '18

Becs - you might want to look into the Sun Joe / Snow Joe brand which has a factory outlet store in Lodi NJ on Route 46 . They sell both cordless saws and corded - cordless prices don't usually include the price of the battery . I'm looking at them for a new electric power washer - theirs are highly rated most everywhere . Meanwhile I'm happy with my 14 year old Echo gas powered 14 inch chainsaw . Lightweight , stone reliable , does 95% of fallen branch jobs - I just have to drain the chain oil after use because it leaks oil like any old saw. Good Luck !

https://www.snowjoe.com/pages/snowjoe-outlet-shop

https://www.snowjoe.com/collections/chain-pole-saws

97XBAM 97XBAM
Oct '18

I'm a 5'5" woman with average upper body strength and found that a 14 inch chainsaw was plenty. The Greenworks saw you linked to looks interesting and has some great reviews. You might also want to try an electric chainsaw if you don't mind running a power cord out to where you plan to cut. Electric saws tend to be lighter than battery operated or gas powered, which becomes important if you're planning to use it for more than a few minutes at a time. It's a pretty good idea to go to a place like Mayberry's where you can try out different chainsaws to see what works for you. Consider investing in leather chainsaw chaps and a safety helmet. They are worth it! There are also chainsaw safety classes you can take. Rutgers usually has them, but you could ask at Mayberry to see if there is something a bit more local.

Independence Farmer Independence Farmer
Oct '18

Leather chaps won’t do much for chainsaws.

The proper protective chaps are nylon/Kevlar and are designed to fragment into fibers and jam up the chain within a revolution or two.

Still possible to get injured but hopefully not amputate anything.

https://youtu.be/hL2PbOwxUv0

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '18

Just saw an interesting warning from Stihl regarding their chaps...

They WON’T work (as well) with electric chainsaws since electric motors won’t “stall” even when tangled in the fibers like a gasoline powered saw will.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/chain-saw-protective-apparel/aprnchap/

Still offers some protection, but it’s something to keep in mind...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '18

Thank you all for this advice. I had no idea they made safety chaps or helmets. Nice.

@97XBAM - it looks like Snow Joe only makes up to 20V. Strongly leaning towards 40V for battery power. But thank you for putting that brand and their outlet store on my radar for future needs.

Indy Farmer - nice to hear from a woman! I wish I could get an electric one, but the property is way too big, and what I need to cut is all along the edges of our woods where the invasive species grows. Will definitely look into the safety classes.

Time to stop by and see Don Mayberry, I think! Thank you again everyone for steering me in the right direction. I'll try not to saw my eye out. ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '18

One very important safety tip is to avoid touching anything in the "danger zone" of the bar that will cause the worst kick back.

Remember, kick back will act in the opposite direction of the chain. If you cut with the bottom of the bar (chain moving backwards) the saw will pull forwards. If you cut with the top of the bar (chain moving forwards) the saw will push backwards, but that's still controllable - and actually a very common practice to "bottom cut" a branch depending on how it is under tension.

However, if you touch the top corner of the bar (chain moving forwards and down) the saw will violently kick backwards and up. That's the dangerous one because it makes a bee-line for your head.

Also remember, it's not just the piece of wood you are cutting... there could be branches/limbs behind the cut that you aren't focusing on that could hit the wrong part of the bar. Don't try to cut multiple stacked/aligned pieces all at the same time.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Oct '18

Does anyone have any new recommendations regarding good contacts for lawn services this year? Have had trouble getting call backs from many of the above. Thanks.

I have been wondering the same thing. We have tried calling 4 people for lawn services and have had zero call backs. Anyone know of someone reliable out there?

NewInTown NewInTown
Apr '19

Wow so it's not just me on the pay no mind list.

I looked into having our tractor and/or mower serviced/repaired WAY too late and now the lawn is out of control (probably too long for the mower at this point) and the turnaround time for the local shop is 2 weeks. That's based on their voicemail outgoing recording as I never received a call back when I left a message.
I know there are services out there and everything, but really I just need a large lawn mowed once. Basically I'm trying to figure out A. if anyone serves Belvidere and B. for like a 1 shot deal. not weekly.

Rufus Rufus
May '19

Rufus - Your best bet maybe one of the larger companies that wouldn't be a big deal to travel. Their only issue may be availability and how much they would have to charge to make it worth their while.

You might try AMC mentioned above, there's a lot of guys that seem to help him out now so one of them might be able to travel with a larger mower.

Kevin's does a lot of homes so that might be something to try.

You might also call Duke's. They certainly travel but it also may be too small for a one time thing.

Anyone have feedback on L&H Sales and Service on Rt 46 in Liberty Twp/Great Meadows for mower repairs?

They've been at this location for a couple years now. Any opinions on the repairs/service?

https://www.facebook.com/LandHsales/

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Jun '19

I bought a RedMax weedwhacker a few months ago from them ,they were great to deal with.I even had a few old weedwhackers I wanted to get rid of they even took them off my hands,it’s a great local business they did all my warranty paperwork for me too.I haven’t had anything serviced,but I’m considering them for my tractor servicing.

Thank you for the feedback Dam! Nice to see they also offer all of our first responders (MILITARY, FIRE, EMS, POLICE) 10% off all labor.

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Jun '19

Bumping this up. I am new to having to hire someone to take care of my yard. Cleanup, mowing, mulching. Any help would be appreciated to where I start the process. I read some of this thread, now I'm nervous that I may be too late to get someone. I prefer to hire a small local company. Thanks

auntiel auntiel
Mar '20

I use Exterior Environments 973-714-4644 for my yard cleanup, trimming, and mowing. He does great work and is local.

Hopeful Hopeful
Mar '20

TJP Lawn care (Tyler) Local, dependable, reasonable. Actually calls you back promptly ! 908-963-7641

eapos eapos
Mar '20

Seems like a number of people need one off mowings/cleanups. Please feel free to reach out to me (Rich) at Great Meadows Mowing. If you leave a message I will call back in a reasonable amount of time and I primarily do it as a side gig so I'm pretty flexible. Insured and licensed as well. 908-433-7091

greatmeadowsmowing greatmeadowsmowing
Mar '20

Thanks all, still waiting for call backs. :(

auntiel auntiel
Mar '20

Hi if no one is getting back to you give me a call. Erb Lawn Care 908-319-5418

Zac Erb Zac Erb
Mar '20

Hi all I was wondering if someone has a recommendation for a lawn service. I need the normal treatments and aerating, grub treatments, and seeding. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Anyone happen to catch the commercial for a new Scott’s product? It has fertilizer, grass seed, and soil conditioners all in one. I went to the Scott’s website and it wasn’t listed on there.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '20

There are a ton of products sold that have “all-in-1”.

Be aware you are paying a high price even at an already listed package weight. Then look at the package breakdown and realize an even less volume of actual grass seed.

Like prebagged salad, paying greatly for perceived ease of effort and time with no control over the ingredients.

That being said, if you are ok with cost and are wanting to just spot fix, ok.

Try to see what type of grass seed you are buying. Like anything- it is a rabbit hole if you dig for info.

Thanks Josh, I wanted to find the product so I actually could read the label and answer those questions. Probably too good to be true anyway.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.