New Leo's Lunch & Cafe

There seems to be some confusion between the newly opened "Leo's Lunch & Cafe" and the older "Leo's Boardwalk" that was new not that long ago. In talking with the folks there, they want to make sure "Leo's Cafe" is recognized on its own merits. The previous thread was starting to blur the distinction and not helping things, so I'm starting this one.

So far I had a very good cheese steak that I mentioned on the other thread. And our Sunday breakfast crew just came back from there with nothing but positive reports. Seems like the staff is all too well acquainted with us jack wagons. ;-)

So for the future, this thread is for the active restaurant.

I'm glad that that Leo's is open again.
I am wondering though, what happened with the last incarnation, "Leo's Boardwalk" ...
I work in a buisness that relocated from up the street and was delighted to have them across the street from us. I met the chef "Eddie" and he gave me the grand tour of the new place and served up some pretty awesome food and was super friendly and I was glad to have this place and Eddie across the street... then it was gone. There was a sign stating that it was closed due to family health issues, and in the other thread it was stated that someone suffered a major health event and that was it !

Does anyone know what actually happened? I'm just curious because I thought these people were really nice and wonder if everything turned out ok for them.
I am looking forward to be a "regular" at Leo's and will see you soon.
Thanks for any info

JohneeOxford JohneeOxford
Mar '17

I hope the moderators did not take down the old thread (Leo's Boardwalk) completely before the staff at the new Leo's Lunch and Cafe had a chance to view my recent review of our breakfast there this morning.. I really don't think it was necessary to do that immediately ( or to remove it completely ) as they are starting to get compliments on their new place on there as well. I really wanted them to be able to view my compliments to them as I promised to do and that I posted on the Leo's Boardwalk thread as did others before me... If that is the case...I will simply post my recent review on this new thread again. ( If I can find it) Please advise..

Joyful Joyful
Mar '17

The other thread is not deleted, there were questions about the original "Boardwalk" subject that were answered as well as those compliments. The Cafe staff not only saw the compliments they put up thank yous for everything other than your very last one.

That thread was not deleted, but is still viewable by everyone. It's just been made so there are no new posts. New posts can be made here instead.

Just so there is no question of what posted about the Cafe this morning, here it is:

"A group of us HLers met for Sunday breakfast today at the new Leo's Lunch & Café. Our hostess Robin was more than patient with our noisy group (speaking for myself mostly) and took our orders and chatted with us like we were family (almost felt we were by the time we left). We had quite a extensive breakfast menu to choose from. The Duke was ecstatic when he saw they served chipped beef on toast there as that is his favorite breakfast and not all restaurants serve that dish. He also noticed that they had hash and eggs on the menu as well. (another favorite). We all were very pleased with the atmosphere and friendliness and really good food at Leo's Lunch & Café! I am sure we all will be returning to try some of the other items on their menu for lunch or dinner very soon!"

Just wanted to add, there were several of us "Hlers" there and without exception, all enjoyed the food and experience. Being long time residents of Hackettstown, we were greeted by another long time resident. Not that Robin is old, but it was nice she could relate to our families, and the places around town. I wish the new Leo's Lunch and Café the best of luck in their new venture, and hope to be there again soon. A very enjoyable morning.

Ms Fishy Ms Fishy
Mar '17

Today I had 3 Chili Dogs and they were Delicious!! Fresh rolls, the hot dog had some snap to it and loaded with chili with some zing to it !! Very good service also! I actually got a 10% discount with my Hackettstown HS Baseball Team Discount Card that I bought yesterday from the team! Will be back to Leo's for sure!!!

LittleRascal LittleRascal
Mar '17

Chuck wagon sammich's won't be avaliable till next week and no perogies. :-(

Delta Delta
Mar '17

LittleRascal - I have to say I forgot my card this morning. I just bought one of those yesterday too. The guys had actually stopped by on Friday but I didn't have cash. They were back in the neighborhood yesterday so I stopped them and got my card. I've gotten those before and many of the very community type places support it. It's not just the regular discount, but there's also special one time coupons at three local places. Leo's Cafe is giving a one time $5 off a purchase of $25. Those one time tags are new for this year. Good cause.

Sounds like a fantastic new addition to town! Will have to try it real soon!!

I stopped in at Leo's back in 2012...I said hello and looked at the menu...a lot of options that's for sure....

Hank Arthur
Mar '17

2012 is five whole years and several iterations ago. Completely different menu and people. You need to stop in again and see what's going on. 2012 was still the round plastic tables and chairs. No longer the case.

Joyful, Ms. Fishy, GC and the rest of the gang...
I am extremely humbled by all of your wonderful comments about the cafe. I'm so happy you all enjoyed yourselves and had a positive experience with the food and service.
GC.. Thank you for taking the time to chat with me. Joyful... you are a doll. The Duke.. you made my day and Ms. Fishy... Thank you for reminiscing with me!

The Charmer The Charmer
Mar '17

Is there a menu posted online?

happiest girl
Mar '17

On their Facebook page is a copy.

https://www.facebook.com/LeosLunchCafe/photos/pcb.1007165686051193/1007165382717890/?type=3&theater

Ah .... many thanks, Greg. Don't do facebook so I didn't look there.
ONION RINGS !!
Yea !!

happiest girl
Mar '17

JohneeOxford - If "a major health" event isn't enough because that's what actually happened, you can click on the envelopes of the people in that other thread who were behind the Boardwalk. Ask them.

Charmer - You're welcome, and even more thank you for giving the Duke a run for his money. Saved me from giving that guy a huge SMACK!! That uncle of your neighbor is a serious Jack Wagon. ;-) But I think even more for passing such nice things along to Ms Fishy. Don't worry, I've got that coupon and my Tigers card. You know I'll be getting more of those cheese steaks.

Delta - They haven't even had their grand opening yet. All in good time. I'll be having one of those chuck wagons as well at some point. When my cholesterol is good, and it's not just before my blood work, etc. ;-) I did have one of their regular burgers and it was pretty good.

Had a great time at breakfast Sunday. Food was fantastic. Company was great and funny. I loved the waitress. She was supper friendly and made my visit even more enjoyable. We will definitely be back.

Snowflake
Mar '17

Thank you all for such great comments. We are very humbled by you all. I feel very lucky to continue the legacy of Leo's. The chuck wagon will be available Friday and so will the pierogies!
Join us for the grand opening weekend.
MARCH 31st thru April 2nd Leo's Lunch & Cafe Grand Opening!!!! Leo's is back with Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Sandwiches, Kabobs, Shakes, Sundae's and so Much More!!! Friday is the Ribbon Cutting with the Mayor at Noon. Then DJ Bill Haug Friday Evening with Great Music Food & Prizes!
Saturday 7am starts Breakfast at Leo's with Face Painting for the kids from 12pm to 3pm! Henry Shapiro will be playing some great music on the piano at 7pm! Sunday is Military, Fire, EMT & Police Appreciation Day! Breakfast Starts at 7am show your ID for a 10% discount!

Thank you for starting this new feed. I am very grateful.

Peter C.

Leo's Lunch & Cafe Leo's Lunch & Cafe
Mar '17

Leo's should adjust their facebook page's privacy setting, right now you have to be logged in to see anything, or better yet, don't use facebook as the primary source of information.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Mar '17

Snowflake... thank you so very much! Can't wait to see you all again. You all were fantastic and such a joy to have at Leo's Lunch and Cafe.

The Charmer The Charmer
Mar '17

http://www.leoslunchcafenj.com/

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Mar '17

Address on website would be helpful...

Will a menu be added to the website? I know I am in the minority, but I do not have Facebook.

Jules Jules
Mar '17

Address is listed as 268 Main Street, Hackettstown NJ 07840, but yes, the site could use some info, menu, hours, location. I'm a google maps local guide so I submitted the address, new name, phone and website there today, and I'll be happy to add the hours and any other info, but Facebook doesn't make the hours easy to get to.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Mar '17

Re: New Leo's Lunch & Cafe

Thank you to everyone who helped to make our official grand opening weekend such a success!!! Special thanks to the Mayor and the Town of Hackettstown, Hackettstown BID, WRNJ radio, Share Chef, My staff, Hackettstown Life, and especially our customers who are apart of our extended family! Thank you all for your continued support!

Peter C.

Apr '17

My wife and I went by Saturday for lunch and enjoyed the Chuck Wagon. Good stuff and best of luck!

Dancicus Fighticus Dancicus Fighticus
Apr '17

I went an hour ago and they were closed. I was not the only one disappointed. While sitting in the car making a phone call 6 other people tried going in.

infogirl
Apr '17

Is it cash only or do they accept plastic too?

Parental Unit Parental Unit
Apr '17

I paid with plastic the first time I went. That's not a problem.

As per their Facebook page they are closed on Mondays.

Jim L Jim L
Apr '17

I love the crinkle cut fries! But I miss the tooth pick that the old Leo's gave you to eat the fries with.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Apr '17

Info girl. I'm sorry but we are closed on Mondays. We accept all major credit cards. Dancicus Glad you liked the fresh Made Chuck Wagon!!! Thank you all for the patronage and kind comments!

Peter C.

Apr '17

Congrats! Best of luck to you!

Consigliere
Apr '17

I had a cheesesteak and their all the way fries today. It was pretty good.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '17

Here's what the Chuck Wagon looks like. ;-)

All cheesy and crunchy and yummy.

I just got back from brunch/lunch at Leo's. A free cup of coffee, even after breakfast time, plus two delicious deep-fried hot dogs with onion rings. The best, from my gracious hostess, Robin, who claimed to have cooked everything (which I doubt).

DannyC DannyC
Apr '17

Danny C. Thank you so much for the review... Silly goose, I was only teasing.... I told you I was like that famous relative at holidays who claims to make everything yummy... :) Truth be known, our chef makes everything from scratch and always with love. So glad you enjoyed...

Robyn

The Charmer The Charmer
Apr '17

Robyn - To quote Ahnold, "I'll be back".

DannyC DannyC
Apr '17

Did they close? I drove by at lunch time today and they weren't open.

Hot under the collar
Jun '17

Per Facebook: on 6/13/17
Sorry for any inconvenience but we will be closed until Thursday afternoon. We are making some unforeseen repairs. We appreciate your understanding! We will post updates as we make progress. Thank you!

As of 1 hour ago:
We will be reopening today at 3:00!!!!
10% off everything when you spend 10 dollars or more today and tomorrow only. Mention reopen 10 for the discount. Thank you all for your support! It has been a frustrating few days for us all! We appreciate your patronage and understanding!

happycamper happycamper
Jun '17

Thanks. So much talk about the Chuck Wagon I wanted to try it.

Hot under the collar
Jun '17

They have a great marketing campaign and good social media presence. There food is ok. I had your typical dried out, over cooked, no seasoning burger that we get all over town. With the exception of James on Main, Stella Gs, and Matars.

FredFinger FredFinger
Jun '17

Sad to see a "for rent" sign in the window this morning. Anyone know what happened?

Htownmom Htownmom
Aug '17

said on vacation yesterday.

stephen stephen
Aug '17

What a shame!

Sport
Aug '17

Their FB says they are closed for vacation August 1-15th.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '17

will be under new ownership shortly

Jim L. Jim L.
Aug '17

Again? Thought this recent reincarnation was under new ownership.

IamMe IamMe
Aug '17

sign on the door has "FOR Rent" just passed there yesterday.

carol carol
Aug '17

Unfortunately, it is closed but under new ownership.

hktwnBID hktwnBID
Aug '17

Another new ownership? I wish them well because this latest incarnation was simply awful. Visited twice...once for lunch and once for breakfast and was terribly disappoin ted each time. Dirty utensils, slow service and poor food quality will doom any establishment.
Like so many others here I have known "Leo's" as an integral part of the Hackettstown landscape all my life and I do wish the new owners the very best.

Evergreen'69 Evergreen'69
Aug '17

Whatever. Owner totally blew my husband off when he was supposed to be meeting with him regarding business opportunities. See ya.

Htown Htown
Aug '17

That location is jinxed! Also start by getting rid of that name for heavens sake! Start with a new name and go with a fresh start! It's great that Leo did great things for this town but that's in the past! I personally don't care about it because I was not here then. The for rent sign went up like Monday and before that a hand written note was on the door. Before that it was open one day and then closed for a few days! Terrible way to start and run a new business!

Sergio Qureshi Sergio Qureshi
Aug '17

Went there a few weeks ago. It was SO hot. No AC. Food wasn't very good and service was really bad. Sorry, but won't be back.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Aug '17

I agree Sergio - the name should be changed & give it a fresh start! The outside of it never looked appealing to me.

I knew that place wasn't gonna last . Glad I didn't step foot in it. I was doing some research and saw they updated their profile picture whoever took over the new ownership .

Michael J Michael J
Aug '17

Looks to be a bbq and burger thing out of morris plains. Not a whole lot of web presence but they appear to have three locations. I might just have to go work there.

Peder Peder
Aug '17

I hope this place lasts longer and doesn't have summer hours and close at 2:30 in the afternoon like the recent owners of Leo's did!!!

Michael J Michael J
Aug '17

The old Leo's needs to come back. Great food and friendly workers :)

Oldskool
Aug '17

Micheal J,

Did the most recent owners of Leo's sell to the Crispy Pig? Or do the most recent owners of Leo's also own the Crispy Pig and are changing it into the Crispy Pig.

Hot Under the Collar
Aug '17

Hot under the collar, I'm not too sure .

Michael J Michael J
Aug '17

Is the one in Morris Plains just catering?

TJS - It looks that way.

http://crispypigbbq.weebly.com

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

So will this be competition for Piggys?

DannyC DannyC
Aug '17

Calico -

That link is for a place in Texas...

USS Nathan James
Aug '17

No it's not. It has a Morris Plains NJ address at the bottom of the page. It also states it serves all of NJ.

What? Scroll all the way down. It says Morris Plains, NJ.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

I don't think this is opening up in the Leo's space. It looks like the Leo's owner has a new business.

You're right - I didn't scroll down.

I hit the locations tab and it shows sights in Texas. Looks like it may be leftover from the Web template he used.

"Remember to check before you Publish"

USS Nathan James
Aug '17

Facebook post from 8/1 Says closed for vacation reopening August 15th.

I guess we'll see tomorrow!

USS Nathan James
Aug '17

It looks like the most recent owner of Leo's also owns a catering company called the Crispy Pig. If he was bringing Crispy Pig to the Leo's location there would be no need for a "FOR RENT" sign.

That would also explain the unexplained closing and odd hours of Leo's. The owner must have been working at the Crispy Pig and unable to keep two stores operational.

Hot under the collar
Aug '17

Wow, awesome! I used to go there a lot until 2012 when I moved!

Are they gone?
Their number is out of service and the facebook page linked from their site is gone too.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Sep '17

Yup, gone.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.