Clogged bathtub

Any advice on a bathtub that is draining extremely slow, if at all. Doesn't seem like any hair or anything in drain or behind overflow plate. Any ideas?? Trying to avoid calling plumber. I tried the drain clog liquid, the plastic snake down drain and behind overflow plate, still no luck.

colem11 colem11
Mar '17

Be sure the stopper is fully up and out of the way. It may be partially closed. It is removed and adjusted by removing the trip lever cover and pulling the entire unit with linkage out.

Do other things in the house drain slowly? If so it may be a bigger issue and the clogging is much nearer the outside sewer line. Otherwise I'd say you need to run the snake down to and past the next junction. If you didn't go that far, then that should be the next step. It's likely to be the first thing a plumber would try, so try that first.

A plumber once told me to boil water and add vinegar to the water and dump it down all drains once a month. I do that and haven't had a drain problem in years.... Well, not since the matchbox car incident.

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Mar '17

Put water in the tub and go nuts with a plunger pushing and sucking back water....works on sinks too

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

Re: Clogged bathtub

Forgot the diagram. GC is correct you may not have found the clog or may have moved it further down the drain. I would remove the stopper assembly and run the snake deeper. That is of course assuming it is not a system wide issue.

haha!! Spring Fever, I think that we may have a similar culprit in this house, I can only imagine whats down that drain!!

Ok thanks guys, I will try!

colem11 colem11
Mar '17

liquid plumber

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

Draino Crystals, when all liquids failed me I tried the crystals and my tub is flowing great.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1445571

2 cents 2 cents
Mar '17

Happens all the time if you have long hair. Go buy this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-1-4-in-x-25-ft-Metal-Drum-Auger-BC83250/100539196

Remove the overflow plate in the picture above. Only 2 screws. Put the snake down the hole. Spin it for a bit. Pull out the snake. Total job is about 15 minutes and super easy.

not sack
Mar '17

If you have a septic go easy with the draino. I second the plunging and the vinegar/ boiling water.

Jesse134 Jesse134
Mar '17

I've had luck with lye

skippy skippy
Mar '17

If no septic, I second the Drano crystals. They're hard to find. I think Home depot sells it. I'm still working on the can, from 15 years ago. Careful... dangerous stuff, so read the instructions, carefully, but it breaks through just about anything gunk stuffed in the drains. After treating, try plunging again. Sometimes it will loosen it, giving you a false impression that it's not working. That's when you test plunge and try one more round of Drano, if no loosening the clog. Hopefully this works. Good luck!

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Mar '17

My buddy the plumber always advises me to use a snake and not the chemical drain cleaners when you have plastic plumbing. While plastic itself is essentially inert to acids and alkalines, the heat generated by the chemical reaction on the clog can warp pipe joints just enough to make them leak, according to him. So, that's something to think about even if you don't have a septic system.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '17

I just posted about the same problem last week.., went online and found a home remedy. pour in 1 cup salt, 1 cup baking soda, and 1 cup vinegar. Wait an hour and pour in one gallon of boiled water..

Gotta tell you , I was amazed.., problem resolved

lorie lorie
Mar '17

All this advice is great, can't wait to get home from work to try it!! Thank you!! I'll let you all know the results!

colem11 colem11
Mar '17

no photos needed

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

fill the tub, try the plunger.

If your bathtub has a lever in the overflow plate to control the tub drain stopper, tit cmay be possible that there is a hair build-up in the linkage in the overflow pipe.
Remove the overflow plate and pull the linkage up and out. There may be a spring at the end of the lhnkage where hair can accumulate and cause a blockage.
This is based on an encounter with a 1980's Price-Pfister show and bath drain.assembly.

fusselfrei fusselfrei
Mar '17

I had the same problem, I pour baking soda down the drain followed by pouring vinegar down the drain. It will fizzle and foam and usually helps the problem without using harmful chemicals.

Be careful with Draino, you get that in your eyes and the ambulance ride will cost much more than a plumber !

Safety glasses and rubber gloves should be used.

Steven Steven
Mar '17

I did it!!! Thank you "not sack" I bought that thing you suggested at Home Depot tonight and after going deep into pipe, I brought up some really disgusting stuff and now its draining!!! Thank you all again for all the great advice! I'm one happy momma that I didn't have to call a plumber in :)

colem11 colem11
Mar '17

Awesome! Congratulations on a job well done.

Thanks Greg, Got to celebrate the little defeats, right??!! lol

colem11 colem11
Mar '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.