Stink Bugs coming out of hibernation?

Every day for the last week or so, Stink Bugs have been appearing.
Must be that Spring is really Sprung.

Just had a great experience!
This could have turned out ugly if this happened to mommy.

I was sitting on the Great Porcelain Goddess, and all of a sudden, I hear .....Bzzzzzzzzzz Bzzzzzzz..... and I'm like WTH?????
All of a sudden I feel this whap* ( on my underside ), and then it stopped.
My first instinct, or is it Instink, was to flush, and get the heck up, and investigate.
There it was, a stink bug ( it picked the best spot to relate to its name ), and it was on the underside of the seat! ..... Dear Lord.... I picked up a tissue, and was able to snap him, and flush him down.
Well right now, it's 12:39 AM, and I'm doing a search for any more that may be resting wherever. I have my hand held vacuum; which works great sucking them up.

Embryodad Embryodad
Mar '17

I've been inundated recently by lady bugs. I've vacuumed up about half a pound of them yesterday! Thankfully, no stink bugs ...

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Mar '17

Rob, we get the ladybugs too. Tons of them. It's kind of gross, but I know they're not really that big a deal. They hang out in the corners of the ceiling where we get the strong sun.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

I keep an empty medicine bottle, near my bed. If I get a "helicopter", that's buzzing around me, at 3am, I gently and loosely grab it, so it doesn't spray and toss it into the bottle. No smell, no mess, just a gross bottle of dead stinkbugs. When they start on the screens, we keep a small container or bucket outside, near the door. Fill one gallon of water to a 1/2 Dawn dish liquid detergent. After loosely grabbing it, swiftly chuck it into the bucket. Kills them instantly. They are also attracted to the odor they give off. We sprayed the bushes and house with a stinkbug solution, and it lasted three years.... very little amount of them. I know they are gross feeling, to try and catch, but after playing with bugs my whole life? They don't scare me. You get used to it.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Mar '17

Amazon, bugzooka.
My best friend. Your welcome

Melissa Melissa
Mar '17

bug zapper is my instrument of choice for things I don't want to pick up and put outside

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

No problems, YET!

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Mar '17

Maybe it's a good sign..... ( "Spring may be closer than we think !")
Sucked up two stinky bugs yesterday with the hand vac, and one today!

Embryodad Embryodad
Feb '18

Get an electronic fly swatter to have some fun with it .The lady bugs that have been around orange in color are actually Asian Lady Beetles brought here for pesticide free pest control . But get rid of one pest only to create another , although these are pretty harmless .

https://www.harborfreight.com/electronic-fly-swatter-61351.html

https://www.ladybuglady.com/asianladybeetle.htm

97XBAM 97XBAM
Feb '18

we have them in Broadway now,. ughh!

AJ Moore Sattely AJ Moore Sattely
Feb '18

I had a huge problem with the stink bugs this past week. I have a bathroom in my room so i fill the toilet with bleach and it instantly kills them without them spraying. Got the info from a man at home depot. SHOUT OUT TO HIM. works great.

Being myself Being myself
Feb '18

I was cooking bacon and eggs one day and a stinkbug fell from inside my range-hood into the frying pan when I wasn't looking. You can guess the rest.

sully sully
Feb '18

Oh thats just horrible Sully.. I just cant figure out how they are getting in? It seems like the windows but i have fairly new Anderson windows. I just get really frustrated. People tell me they nest in curtains, but i have just valances they i always throw in the wash. This will be a horrible spring if i cant find a way to control these disgusting bugs. Anyone out there who knows of extermination for stink bugs please let me know. Thank you.

Being myself Being myself
Feb '18

All I know is I hope this is a sign of early spring. This last bout of ice has me calling it a day.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Feb '18

"Oh that's just horrible Sully".

It was.

sully sully
Feb '18

So not stink bugs, but ladybugs. I've had ladybugs in my house for the ENTIRE winter. Usually they are abundant in the fall and then stop once it gets too cold. I'm so sick of finding them everywhere. Is there anything I can do?

Tracy Tracy
Feb '18

Do stink bugs bite? Or cause any type of skin reaction if they crawl on you?

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Mar '19

No. They just stink when killed.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Mar '19

And give people nightmares. Really bad ones.

dodgebaal dodgebaal
Mar '19

This article says they bite. Yikes!
http://stinkbugsguide.net/facts.htm

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '19

Here it is......2020, and winter, and I killed two stink bugs yesterday in the kitchen.
I'm in the recliner; watching tv now, and I felt something tickling in my head.
Oh! Yeah!.... I slapped it off my head, and gave it the ole tissue crush. Another stink bug.
Now I'm itchy all over. Damn.

Embryodad Embryodad
Jan '20

Gently take them into your hand and throw them in a container of water with liquid dish detergent. (About 20% detergent) It kills them within 15 seconds. They won’t spray you, as long as there’s no pressure applied when handling. Takes some getting used to. I guess I’m the stink bug whisperer, LOL.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Jan '20

I got up in the night to use the bathroom and went to wash my hands and there on the sink was a stink bug. I grabbed a tissue and flushed him....that was the first I have seen one of these guys again in a long time...

joyful joyful
Jan '20

I have them here occasonally - through the year- and I've never had one "stink" when I squish them in a tissue and flush - pretty harmless if you ask me - but not welcome...

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '20

I agree. Not sure where this "stink" legend comes from. I have killed hundreds over the years and they do not stink. And while annoying to kill one or two a day they are extremely easy to kill. Just squish and dispose. No science class needed.

Scott Scott
Jan '20

Squeeze on in a tissue and smell it. The absolutely stink.

Consigliere
Jan '20

why would I want to sniff a tissue full of dead bug? - whatever rocks your socks - lol

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '20

They just show up, out of nowhere. It’s like they just appear. The 3am helicopters can be annoying, though.

Jan '20

Why not just throw outside of the house? Don't kill when there are options otherwise...

If they didn’t attract more stink bugs, I’d let them go. I know it’s not their fault, but they’re here, now. Another invasive species. Throwing them outside is counterproductive. Besides, the poor things would freeze to death. My way is much faster and more humane..or is it insectane?

Jan '20

They are bugs. Says so right on the name. Smash them when you find them. Have fun eating that factory farmed burger later today *eye roll*

Consigliere
Jan '20

I'm really having issues with the ladybugs again. Or Asian Lady Beetles or whatever they're called. Every few days I vacuum up 50-100 of them. I know they're harmless, and they don't stink. But I hate having to vacuum their dead bodies so often, lol! Is there any way to prevent them from getting inside?

I actually have no idea how they get inside, the windows and doors are locked, and are sealed fairly well (or at least I thought they were ....). They seem to focus on one bedroom upstairs and the office downstairs, both of which face east. I hardly ever find them on the back of the house, facing west.

Rob

Rob Durana Rob Durana
Apr '22

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Stink Bugs coming out of hibernation?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.