Spring Flowers 2017

Spring Flowers 2017

Already have snow drops and riticulatas (tiny iris) starting...

I've been waiting a whole week for some crocus. I don't have any, but a neighbor a couple of houses down does. I've got lots of signs the daffs are getting ready, and some tulip leaves are starting to show.

Unfortunately that also means roving bands of deer at night trying to munch on it. The rain is good, we needed that. But now I've got to run for the deer off just the minute it will stick to the tulips.

Crocus, purple, and snowbells. Orange crocus not to be found.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Mar '17

I too use a deer spray. It smells like a combination of vomit and hot sauce. My nieghbor loves me ;)

Consigliere
Mar '17

Re: Spring Flowers 2017

Last week the crocus did put up a couple of flowers but never opened. They got hit by the cold returning and never made it. Today is another day. The same weather as last week, but this time they had enough time to open up and be happy.

First flower picture of the year.

GC, thanks for posting, you proved that soon it will be Spring. I have a smile on my face.

justwondering justwondering
Mar '17

New York Botanical Gardens - Gorgeous Orchid Show going on now!!!

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

If anyone is interested was just at Walmart... they have dark purple riticulatas (miniature iris) for $1 each pot has at least 4 bulbs!

Thanks MG. They have a whole stand full of bulbs and spring flowers all for $1 each. Even their Easter Lilies were only $4.

Out of curiosity, could those be planted in the ground? And become perennials?

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

Yes, Rebecka. Those are bulbs and you definitely plant them for next year too.

Sugh and iris lover... I'm SOO excited about this one.. it's called Hermodactylus Tuberosa (Snake's Head Iris)

After learning that Dandelions arrived in America on the boots of immigrants, My daughter wants to know What spring Flowers are Native American?

The Native Plant Society of NJ has a great list of Native NJ spring flowers:

http://www.npsnj.org/photo_galleries/photo_gallery_spring.html

honestyseasy honestyseasy
Apr '17

Columbines, and may apple bloom in late spring. Be careful of wild violets - they tend to be invasive.

Pasque Flower hiding behind a tulip leaf.

Yellow double daffodil.

GC - Beautiful photography...You not only grow them, you also take great pictures of them. Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Apr '17

Bloodroot van campens Brook

A good day
Apr '17

Bleeding hearts have exploded with beautiful flowers
Peonies are full of buds and thankfully some of the many iris have buds ❤

Have definitely been thinking of that when I look at my iris getting buds as well. I've got columbines now just itching to open up. Bachelor buttons and poppies are right behind it. The rain has really gotten things to sprout quickly. Summer is right around the corner already.

Years ago I bought this plant at lowes on clearance...it looked dead and I paid $1 for this little tiny thing. I planted it at home and The following year it spread and flowered. Every spring it gets bigger and bigger and I'd love to get more so can anyone help me identify what it is?

Creeping phlox.

walmart has 2 different potted Iris, one is a creamy white and yellow the other is a darker maroonish pink with speckled falls.. Under $7 which isn't too bad price wise, they're no names so if you don't mind that and want to add to your garden, it's a good deal!

Received this in the swap 3 years ago, it finally bloomed for the first time!

Njchia Njchia
May '17

A few of my current/recent iris blooms

These took two years to bloom after I planted. Thought they were duds.

Forcefed4door Forcefed4door
May '17

Some annuals

Nosila Nosila
May '17

Forcefed4door - sometimes iris take awhile if they're not in a place they like! I have a large amount that are blooming for the first time planted at least 5 or 6 years ago!

I am getting my first iris bud, courtesy of GC, from I think 2 years ago. I have a bunch more, but I think I need to move them to a better spot.

I'd love some yellow irises next year if anyone wants to share.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

Tracy - iris tend to love the sun, and you can't plant them too deep. As in you need to make sure part of their rhizome is above the dirt, they also are not fans of being mulched or being real wet. Unless they're a lousiana or Japanese iris, they're better with the wetness.

Thanks for the tips, MG. I definitely didn't know about the mulch, but I do know that they need more sun than they are currently getting.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

Here's my first iris! There are actually a couple more buds on the same stem.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

Tracy - that's an old fashion one and probably smells kind of like grapes

MG - Great selection as usual. Now everyone can see how the ones they saw starting out at the plant exchange have bloomed. You have a great collection there.

Tracy/njchia - Yep, those are the ones I've been spreading around for the past few years. Nice to now they're growing for others as well. I've got several large patches of them that I split a few off each year. I seem to remember Rebecka and jrsemom have some of those too. As MG said, get close to them and you should see they actually have a fragrance to them.

I'm glad there are at least some poppies still left in bloom at this point. Thanks to joyful, and chickadee. ;-)

My sad little rhodedendron finally bloomed too. I think this was an end of season Lowe's clearance buy a couple years ago. Didn't think it was going to make it.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

Purple Iris from GC. This is their second season coming up. Both last year and this year the same one flowered. The one planted at Iggy's memorial. <3

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Rebecka, I might have missed it along the way, but I didn't know that Iggles passed. I'm so sorry to hear that.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

Rebecka - Yep, that's the one!

MG - Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. You really rock the iris varieties. Here is one that you gave me last year. It sure stands out in a crowd and look at it now.

And here is the blue star (scientific name amsonia) that's also in full bloom since I got back. The flowers don't tend to last too long even if all the leaves continue on until well into August.

Hey guys,

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere.... I almost pulled the trigger on buying a ton of dyed mulch, but after researching I found out that the stuff is crap and BAD for plants! It's ground up pallets and construction waste wood which is dyed to hide it's true identity, and it ROBS nitrogen from the plants rather than decomposing and adding nutrients. Same with wood chips (the kind you can get dumped for free from arborists). Wood is empty calories (so to speak), and I've been using it for years!

From what I understand, the best mulch, which is full of nutrients, is ground bark. The bark is actually stripped from the trees when they are milled, then double or tripled ground. So my question is, has anyone purchased ground bark mulch around here? You have to specifically ask for it, because even double ground hardwood mulch may still be the wood, not the bark.

Hike Hounds Hike Hounds
May '17

Hike Hounds - Go to Tickners. They have the whole range of products, your choice.

The baptisia is doing its usual reach for the sky, already 5 ft tall and still growing.

GC- glad it's blooming!

This is one of many favorites of mine... it's called Minnesota Mixed Up Kid (if you look the blooms are not uniform in color, which is why it has its name)

So when do we switch to the "Summer" flowers? Even though it's kind of wet and not particularly warm, it's Memorial Day now. This is a penstemon (beard tongue) I got during Well Sweep's Open House. It's Red Riding Hood and look how it is now only after just getting it last year. It's very full and flowering with great color. But I don't think it normally does that until a few weeks from now. I also saw my very first day lily opening up. Too busy to take a picture, but another sign summer is here.

MG - Wait until the penstemon you gave me blooms. It's not quite ready, but it's really grown perfectly.

GC - how wide your baptisia gets? I have a sunny spot for tall but preferably narrow perennial plant but can't find the one that is reliable.

Lena - it's about 3 1/2 to 4 ft wide. Most baptisia aren't that tall, it's the specific variety "purple smoke" that is so big. And mine is extra tall even for that variety. So I wouldn't suggest it for what you want because there's no guarantee it will be quite that tall.

I'm not sure how tall you want, but have you considered phlox, liatris, or red hot poker? All three are very up right and about 4 ft tall, plus not difficult to grow.

collage of some of the flowers at the New Jersey Botanical Gardens in Ringwood

4catmom 4catmom
May '17

GC - I have liatris - it actually might be the best fit for the spot (I love bulbs), strangely I didn't think about it. Thank you!! Phlox and red hot poker were eaten by deer.

Lena - Glad to be able to help. I understand completely about the phlox, although that tends to survive for me. The deer nibble the tops early on and then later towards when it is ready to bloom, it's grow back enough to flower. I'm really surprised about the red hot poker though. The leaves of mine are almost like yucca, serrated. I would have thought it would hurt them.

4cat - Great pics of what looks like a great place. Thanks.

Honeysuckle and peonies are looking great this year!

Here's the honeysuckle

My favorite time of year!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '17

Some kind of allium. Plant tag was lost long time ago but plant survived rabbits, deer and groundhogs forage.

Lena, those are beautiful!

Tracy Tracy
May '17

Lena - A quick search finds a variety called "pink jewel allium". What every it's called, that's definitely a dramatic display of flowers for an every day onion family.

Reminder - this coming Saturday is the annual perennial event at our local greenhouses. Donaldson's has their open house with speakers including Chris from Monrovia, and a good garden designer this year. Well Sweep has their open house with garden tours, a great perennial "what's new and exciting" plus Jay from Pandan does cooking with herbs. Both great events, I try to catch a bit of both. If anyone wants to coordinate, let me know, I'm there regardless.

With that out of the way, the summer plants are starting to open up. Some salvia, as well as spiderwort, more penstemon varieties, and even coreopsis is ready to go. It's got to be summer if the butterfly weed opens up and that's right on the edge. Next stop is a new thread for "Summer Flowers". ;-)

Look what I found hiding out amongst the columbine!

For anyone interested...
Presby Memorial Iris Gardens in Montclair (up the road from the university) has their plant sale *iris* from 10-3 they're the lousiana, spuria, and Japanese that are potted and available one pot $15 two for $25, there also may be grab bags of rhizomes as well that are $20 - good deals! AND there are still TONS of blooms because of the cooler weather we've had.

So one more spring pic before the summer ones, the iris is definitely still a sign of spring even if the other flowers are out now.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.