James on Main - top new restaurant nominee

I know we have a "Hackettstown in the news" and "James on Main" topic already out there, but I thought this deserved it's own. Our own James on Main has been nominated for best new restaurant in NJ. I think that is great and definitely deserved based on my experiences there. Well done!
!
http://www.nj.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/02/nominees_for_garden_state_culinary_arts_awards_ann.html

Didn't we also have a chef from Marleys on Chef or Con a while back too? Hackettstown is definitely making its mark in the culinary world!

JB400 JB400
Feb '17

Congratulations! I went for brunch recently and I can't wait to go back and try it for dinner.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '17

Congratulations.

I've been there several times with no complaints, and would have been even more- except I can't get a seat. ;)

I told my wife- the only problem with this place is capacity- while totally understanding that beyond a certain point quality would suffer... catch 22.

I get it Josh. It's like nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded :)

JB400 JB400
Feb '17

Congratulations to James on Main!!! Haven't been there yet, but have been wanting to try it ever since they opened.
Also, Bruno was the one who won cooks v cons. He owns Marley's and a big congrats to him as well.

Congratulations, Chef Bill! Well deserved!!

summerrain1 summerrain1
Feb '17

Congrats! Love James on Main.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '17

I've only eaten there once, but it was very good! As for size, suck it up. It gets bigger, who is cooking your meal? The help they had to hire so you could get a seat faster, that's who. Expansion is not your friend!

maja2 maja2
Feb '17

Great place and great food. Unfortunately I can't go in summer because the place is too small and heats up quickly. I get all my visits in over the winter months and it's always delicious!

FredFinger FredFinger
Feb '17

The one time we ate there was outstanding. Congratulations!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Feb '17

Hands down my favorite place to eat in town! Sure it's small, but the quality of the food, the in kitchen feel of Bills place is worth the wait and proper planning of a reservation. James on main well done.

great news, I wish them much success & longevity. It must be that weekend salad boy. Restaurants are a very tough business to succeed in.
Great news for the local community & I'm also looking forward to other new restaurants coming on board soon.

Weedwacker Weedwacker
Mar '17

Great restaurant. It's worth it to make a reservation.

GetOverYerself GetOverYerself
Mar '17

Congratulations to our favorite restaurant. My wife and I go as much as possible. Chef Bill and his team are fantastic. We love the new manager but miss Lesley very much. She made us feel like family and did an outstanding job. We heard she broke her back, so if you are reading this Lesley, we wish you well.. James on Main is the greatest restaurant to happen to our humble town. Bill is a genius with his culinary skills.. We hope he wins this. That pork chop alone is well worth the win

Rob56 Rob56
Mar '17

Hi Rob56, this is Leslie.. Thank you so much for your well wishes. I am healing every day and I'm doing much better..! I miss all my customers and staff at James on Main... I'm so excited for the restaurant with this nomination.. Chef Bill and his team deserve this win..
Weedwacker- I love that weekend salad guy. Lol..

Congrats James on Main!! I know you will win this honor!!

LuLu22 LuLu22
Mar '17

Absolutely wonderful!!!! They also do takeout meals -- yum!!!!

dsl1121 dsl1121
Mar '17

Dsl1121, did you just say they do takeout meals?!? This might be life changing and I must investigate immediately.

FredFinger FredFinger
Mar '17

Finally made it to James on Main this evening for dinner. My husband had the Vienna Hills Pork Spaetzel and I had the Angus Burger with their homemade fries. Dessert was Moccha Cheesecake and coffee. It was fantastic. So glad we finally got to try it and we will definitely go back..

Joyful Joyful
Mar '17

It's actually "Vienna Hills Schnitzel". Schnitt means cut, so that's a "cutlet". Spaetzel are little noodle dumplings that would be very nice to go with it. (they do serve spaetzel with the pork chop, but not regularly with the schnitzel) If you asked for the one with the other it would be schnitzel spaetzel and you'd probably have a tough time saying that 5 times real fast. ;-)

But glad you liked it anyway, it must have been perfect for the occasion.

Definitely an A for food. D for atmosphere. Uncomfortable seats and very noisy. If you like screaming your conversations you will love this place.

Scottso Scottso
Jun '17

FANTASTIC place!!! Need a reservation? OK.
I will gladly wait for Wonderful food!!!

And this owner and chef are 100 percent Hackettstown people for 3+ decades.
Hooray!!!!!!!!
Support our locals!

Great place. Everything is great. I give it 5 out of 7 stars. Keep up the great work

Hank Arthur
Jun '17

I agree the food is top notch, however the atmosphere is cramped, loud and leaves a lot to be desired. It's the single reason I don't return often.

Mickey Mickey
Jun '17

Mickey, maybe don't go at dinner time, or on the weekends? I've gone twice for brunch with friends and it's never cramped or noisy. Food is excellent and innovative.

Tracy Tracy
Jun '17

We go for dinner during the week & like eating at the bar area so that we can watch Chef Bill at work. Sitting there is not cramped.

Is there any night that James on Main is least crowded? I really want to try this place but all the comments about crowding have kept us away so far.

Or is there a take out option?

hktownie hktownie
Jul '17

Make reservations!

TigerMom
Jul '17

Make a reservation. They take online ones through Yelp.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '17

The food is absolutely fantastic, but it's crowded and noisy. I dunno, if I'm spending that kind of money I prefer a more relaxing atmosphere.

Scottso Scottso
Jul '17

No problem Scottso, there are plenty of nice quiet places around with marginal food, feel free to stay away from JOM

eapos eapos
Jul '17

Elvis Duran (popular radio host of nationally syndicated morning show) mentioned James on Main this morning as a restaurant people are talking about. I was way too excited about it, but glad James on Main is getting such widespread acclaim. It really is a neighborhood gem.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '18

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.