2017 Thunderstorm Thread

I don't think a thunderstorm thread has been started in February ever!

Anyway, severe weather on the way. A huge line is crossing into NJ from PA right now. Stay safe.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '17

My mom in PA says the worst is already there. My cat says the End of the World is happening. Be prepared...

Despite an angry looking red blob on the radar, right over my head, not much going on. A bit of wind, a bit of rain, some lightening and a bit of thunder, mostly faded away.

maja2 maja2
Feb '17

One down and the season begins.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Feb '17

Dud. And we didn't take the day trip we had wanted to because of the forecast.
grrrr.......

happiest girl
Feb '17

The lightning, thunder, wind and rain were insane in Oxford.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '17

Calico696, How is it now in Oxford?

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Feb '17

This weather illustrates climate change. Sorry to burst the bubbles on the topic but 70 degrees in February is not natural as it may be lovely.

Fine now MM.

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '17

Its calm now in oxford.
It was pretty crazy for awhile though!

Melissa Melissa
Feb '17

Thank you.

Feb '17

Look at the damage to Space Farms Zoo

https://www.facebook.com/spacefarms/

Nosila Nosila
Feb '17

Please keep this a thunderstorm thread. If you want a global warming thread. Start one please.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Feb '17

craftbeerbob --

I did not know hackettstownforum was ruled by dictatorship.
LOL

happiest girl
Feb '17

Hey happiest. It's not. It was a simple request with a please.

Feb '17

Hey craftbeerbob ---
Thunderstorms --- weather --- a topic.

Tonite --- 31
Wed. -- 65 degrees / nite - 50 degrees
Thurs. -- 50 degrees / nite - 25 degrees
Fri nite - 20 degrees , snow
Sun - 50 degrees

Climate change.

happiest girl
Feb '17

Thanks. Your right the climate changes everyday. What a concept.

Feb '17

Your rouse is obvious. Thanks

happiest girl
Feb '17

Not in our back yard......but part of the storm last night.

http://paweatheraction.com/raw-video-a-tornado-on-the-ground-near-scranton-pa

littlelu littlelu
Feb '17

That's virtually right over the hill. A YUGE hill....

I think the major storm moved in the direction of the Delaware River ridge but a bit West of it. Then a "tail" developed which swung around and whipped us. Potential for great damage was there for sure except some of the storm energy got sucked up by the cloud cover and slightly colder temperatures that proceeded.

And yes, this was formed by a YUGE warm front coming from the South which is unusual to push this far North while a typical-for-the-season cold front came in from the W to NW. Certain mixture for tornados.

Been a rough decade for weather.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Feb '17

iRun, cite your source that this is proof. I'm not a climate change denier, but to say this is proof without proof is ridiculous. Weather data is based on information from 1880ish until now. What about the other MILLIONS of years prior? Maybe 11,337,897 BC had 90 degree days in February.

btownguy btownguy
Feb '17

Btown: you got to be kidding right?

The only questions remaing are: are we too late and is there anything we can do to correct, adapt, and survive.

But i agree, start a thread.

Feb '17

Not at all. Why would I have to be kidding?

btownguy btownguy
Feb '17

I guess if you don't believe in scientific consensus, don't read or both, you might have a point there that you are deadly serious. Key word: deadly.

Feb '17

There is a severe thunderstorm watch in effect until 8 pm tonight. There is a very nasty looking line heading our way. Flash flooding, hail, high winds and tornadoes all possible. Be safe all.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

The only thing I don't like about these storms: Where do I park my truck? Under the tree, and its protected from hail. But the tree is leaning precariously, so do I risk it blowing down? Decisions, decisions...

Mike in LV Mike in LV
Jun '17

Yesterday was supposed to be some scattered storms and we got squat. Today I was thinking along the same lines because on radar a few small things just passed us by.

What's currently on radar is an absolute walloping sledgehammer. It's currently on the other side of Allentown, but there's a backup heavy line right behind it as well. Looks like a horrible one-two punch.

I've got a cat that's currently in snoozeland. That's not gonna last more than 90 mins.

I brought my hanging flowers in and once it starts I'm going to put garbage bags over the potted plants. I worked too hard to get these guys growing..I'm not taking any chances.

positive positive
Jun '17

I am watching my daughter's dog -
she HATES thunderstorms -
I'm at work and can't be with her -
I went home at lunch turned the TV on, the 2 fans on and took her for a quick walk to empty her bladder......
hope she can make it until I get home - poor baby.

wbeleno wbeleno
Jun '17

The wind is really picking up here in Independence and it's getting dark and starting to rain again. Strange weathere today, sun would come out, then get dark then rain, sunny again and repeat dark & rain.

It's almost here!

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Jun '17

Short and sweet here in Lopatcong unless that was just the beginning?

positive positive
Jun '17

Nothing much in Mansfield unless more are coming-

Nosila Nosila
Jun '17

Just drizzling soo far.

In HackCATStown it came down so fierce even the groundhogs ran for cover. It just started up again with a boom and my cat just scampered off to the safety of the area behind the washing machine saying "I *@#& hate you all, this !@#& sucks, it's the end of the *%!@& world, die, die, die."

I personally like the drenching for the plants that needed it. Thanks again MG!! Glad to get some irises for next year in exchange for surplus plants.

It hasn't done too much here in Budd Lake so far. I took the dog out just before the last wave passed through. I'm hoping no thunder though - her nerves at all ready wound up because of the bear being around earlier! I'm in for the night so at least she won't be too upset.

Antimony Antimony
Jun '17

I guess the weather is fake news now too. All day that's all I heard about...big storms coming, tornados, hurricanes, meteors, earthquakes, etc. All these "weathermen" do is freak all the dummies out. I love it!

LJRubi LJRubi
Jun '17

Just because it wasn't armageddon in your immediate area, doesn't mean it was a bust. Very strong storms moved through and are still moving through. South Jersey and the coast seem to have gotten hit the hardest. However, High Point got over 3" of rain so far. My husband works for the county road dept. and got called out because there are trees and limbs down.

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

Mansfield was a dud. We "threaded the needle" on the radar. Lots of wind, little rain. Very disappointed. We haven't had a good thunderstorm in a long time.

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jun '17

Agree Calico, thunderstorms like tornadoes can be particular and save their strength for certain areas, where many areas in the region are left unscathed. However, with these type of storms no one knows what area is going to be hit the hardest.

Just good to get a heads up. My area wasn't hit hard, but because of Calico's warning I was able to save my plants from the hail.

Thanks Calico

positive positive
Jun '17

Non event at my house. Hopefully no-one is hurt anywhere.

Wow the light looks like tornado weather right now.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '17

Note to self... don't forget to take the cover off the pop-up tent when there are thunderstorms in the forecast. $150 oopsie.

ianimal ianimal
Jun '17

It was very windy and rainy here in SJ. Near Cape May. Lots of lightning and thunder and pouring rain. It is still raining here now, but not as hard.

Jun '17

Port Murray, nothing to write home about.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Jun '17

Didn't hold up Ian :)

Two tornadoes touched down in Howell, NJ yesterday. Confirmed by NWS.

https://patch.com/new-jersey/howell/nws-investigating-possible-tornado-howell-police-say-video

Calico696 Calico696
Jun '17

A severe thunderstorm watch has been posted for our are until 9 pm. There is a strong line moving east. It's around the Williamsport, PA area now.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '17

Potentially strong storms coming our way. Time to batten down the patio furniture cushions.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Thunder sounds good!! We are short on thunderstorms this year! Bring it!!

JeffersonRepub JeffersonRepub
Jul '17

Lots of thunder & lightning in Hopatcong from about 5:45PM. Just looked out at 6:15 PM, but still lots of dry spots under trees. Seems like a big show, but little rain with it. Too bad I didn't make it home early enough from Hackettstown to be able to mow:-(

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

My daughter lives outside of Boone, NC. Hot day, rain and hail the size of Edamame beans today. Strange weather we're having all over!!

Family was flying to Newark from Greensboro at 5pm Monday. Canceled til Tuesday 8pm because of bad weather in NJ.

Jul '17

Looks like we have a severe thunderstorm alert for our area. My app on phone (which is usually relatively accurate) says it should be stormy most likely around 8pm.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

By the look of the radar, it should be here before then. Front edge is just to Mt. Bethel, PA right now.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '17

Just got more notices via nixle

Thunderstorm Warning until 7:30 pm

Thunderstorm Watch until 10pm

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

I positioned all of my potted plants to get relief from the rain.

Getting too nerdy with the plants....

positive positive
Jul '17

That's not "nerdy". That's smart to catch the natural rain. ;-)

it's starting................

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '17

Extremely windy here in Oxford. No rain yet.

Calico696 Calico696
Jul '17

A huge thunder strike in Hackettstown now that sent the cat running for cover yelling "The End Of The World"!!

Thanks GC. I love my plants. It took me a few years to finally get it right...

Thunder over here stopped almost an hour ago, but "All Meow" Scooby is still hiding.

Well, at least my plants are happy...

positive positive
Jul '17

OMG!!! It's like a monsoon in the Morristown area. How is it out there in Warren Co.?

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Calico - I'm in Chester by the Mendham side. Some rain, some wind. Not terrible. Just spoke to someone who was on the other side of town towards Randolph, and apparently it was torrential downpours.

Mike in LV Mike in LV
Aug '17

LOL - what a difference 2 minutes makes. Its now pouring cats and dogs.

Mike in LV Mike in LV
Aug '17

We haven't had a drop yet here in Mansfield, but I'm sure it won't be long.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Pouring BIG THUNDER BOOMS in Phillipsburg.

wbeleno wbeleno
Aug '17

Nothing but lots of thunder in Sparta.

John C John C
Aug '17

and lots of hail....

dismom dismom
Aug '17

Poured for a good while in Madison, plus lightning and thunder. Looks like it's on it's way out now.

Tracy Tracy
Aug '17

dark and windy - raining in PV........thunder too

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '17

"Missed us again josey "

Aug '17

Pouring in Long Valley for the past hour...

Blackcat Blackcat
Aug '17

And our power just went out

Blackcat Blackcat
Aug '17

Another one. Thunder and lightning!

power was out at the bottom of allen rd. and rte 57

scottso scottso
Aug '17

Heads up! There is a massive line of storms heading across PA right now. There has been a severe thunderstorm watch issued for all NJ counties until midnight.

Calico696 Calico696
Aug '17

Take cover! The wicked witch may be flying past your window soon.

Tornado warning for Warren Cry.

Aug '17

A lot of warm moist air. 80ºF at 9:30 PM is an invite for a whopper, as the storm runs through.

Embryodad Embryodad
Aug '17

Heads up! Storms heading our way. A severe thunderstorm watch has been posted for Warren Co.

Calico696 Calico696
Sep '17

Lots of thunder and lightning here. Makes my littlest cat all that more affectionate, looking for protection.

DannyC DannyC
Sep '17

Re: 2017 Thunderstorm Thread

Heads up! Bad storm with a lot of heavy rain and wind coming our way. Be prepared for flooding and possible power outages.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

I did not need to hear that. I'll be hiding in a cave of reinforced steel walls for the next 3 days now. See you on the other side of Rainageddon.

Sugar Sugar
Oct '17

Yep - stocked up at Bottle King today!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.