People's reactions to ambulances

Driving earlier today and in the other lane here comes an ambulance with its lights on.. with no cars in its lane it was proceeding along just fine What I didn't understand is why the three cars in my lane felt compelled to pull off into the shoulder of the road... I see this all the time and it irks me... If the ambulance is in the other lane there is no reason for idiots to pull off the road...My wife thinks i am totally wrong on this Any thoughts??

Mr. Tone Mr. Tone
Feb '17

Well as someone who initially got their license in NYC that's what is taught there - it may be carry over due to proximity or relocation

skippy skippy
Feb '17

It is my understanding you are to yield and pull to side of the road.

Steven Steven
Feb '17

Legally you are supposed to, even if it's on the opposite side. Believe me, my drivers ed teacher beat this into our heads when I was taking the classes.

helpthekitty helpthekitty
Feb '17

yup it's the law -

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '17

I agree Mr.Tone. I think it relates to peoples confusion regarding the Move Over Law. I don't feel a motorist needs to pull to the RIGHT unless the oncoming emergency vehicle has moved to the center of the roadway as they pass another motorist traveling in the same direction. Naturally. as the law states. one should move to the left if possible when approaching an emergency vehicle in their same direction of travel.
As an aside I have asked several police officers for clarification and have yet to have one state that pulling to the right and sometimes stopping is the law. They do state of course care should be exercised any time an emergency vehicle is underway with lights and siren etc. In fact I find it a traffic hazard at times.

New Jersey Statute 39:4-92.2

Procedure for motorist approaching stationary authorized emergency vehicle, tow truck, highway maintenance or emergency service vehicle.

1. a. The operator of a motor vehicle approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle as defined in R.S.39:1-1 that is displaying a flashing, blinking or alternating red or blue light or, any configuration of lights containing one of these colors, shall approach the authorized emergency vehicle with due caution and shall, absent any other direction by a law enforcement officer, proceed as follows:

(1) Make a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the authorized emergency vehicle if possible in the existing safety and traffic conditions; or

(2) If a lane change pursuant to paragraph (1) of subsection a. of this section would be impossible, prohibited by law or unsafe, reduce the speed of the motor vehicle to a reasonable and proper speed for the existing road and traffic conditions, which speed shall be less than the posted speed limit, and be prepared to stop.

b. The operator of a motor vehicle approaching a stationary tow truck as defined in section 1 of P.L.1999, c.396 (C.39:3-84.6) that is displaying a flashing amber light or a stationary highway maintenance or emergency service vehicle that is operated by the State, an authority or a county or municipality and displaying flashing yellow, amber, or red lights shall approach the vehicle with due caution and shall, absent any other direction by a law enforcement officer, proceed as follows:

(1) Make a lane change into a lane not adjacent to the tow truck or highway maintenance or emergency service vehicle if possible in the existing safety and traffic conditions; or

(2) If a lane change under paragraph (1) of subsection b. of this section would be impossible, prohibited by law or unsafe, reduce the speed of the motor vehicle to a reasonable and proper speed for the existing road and traffic conditions, which speed shall be less than the posted speed limit, and be prepared to stop.

c. A violation of this section shall be punished by a fine of not less than $100 and not more than $500.

With that said I could be wrong. If someone can post the actual law here in NJ that states pulling to the right and stopping is in fact the law, please do!.

Honestly, anyone can be wrong with this--including said drivers ed teacher stated above. I feel like driving laws have become so muddled so everyone is always right and wrong simultaneously because no one actually knows anymore lol.

helpthekitty helpthekitty
Feb '17

It really doesn't matter what lane the Emergency Vehicle is in unless the center of the road is protected by a median or a concrete barrier, you are to pull over and give them room. This is more so for when you get that Person who doesn't see them and pulls out in the way. I will say what irks me is those who think because I pull over for the Emergency vehicle, they can pass me. Those drivers I turn in. I used to drive Fire Trucks and there are a lot of people who don't know the laws. Just think of it this way, what if it was your Child or a Friend in the Ambulance or your house is on fire?
And Your wife is right, it's the IDIOTS who don't follow the laws.

4paws 4paws
Feb '17

As a former NJ EMT and Paramedic with 25+ years operating emergency vehicles I would agree with the original poster.

If the emergency vehicle is approaching you from the opposite direction on the other side of the road, is remaining on their side of the road, and there are no vehicles in front of it to impede it's progress, then there is no reason for you to have to pull off the road. The emergency vehicle clearly already has clear passage and the right of way.

That being said, in my career I encountered many people driving emergency vehicles (EMS, fire AND police) who thought using red lights and sirens constituted permission to drive like idiots straddling the center yellow line when it was totally unnecessary. Beware.

JerryG JerryG
Feb '17

Safety can be a concern, but to me moving to the side of the road communicates to the ambulance driver that you see them and acknowledge their sense of urgency. Regardless of the law, it's the sensible thing to do.

justintime justintime
Feb '17

You only posted NJ 39:4-92.2, which is when *you* are approaching a stationary emergency vehicle.

The *root* 39:4-92 (when the emergency vehicle is approaching you) states:

39:4-92. Authorized emergency vehicles; clearance for; following or parking near
Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle giving audible signal, and equipped, as required by section 39:4-91 of this Title, and unless otherwise directed by a police or traffic officer,

(a) The driver of every vehicle shall immediately drive to a position as near as possible and parallel to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway, clear of an intersection of highways, and shall stop and remain in that position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed and

(b) The driver or person in control of a street car shall immediately stop the car clear of an intersection of highways and keep it stationary until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.

No driver of any vehicle other than one on official business shall follow any authorized emergency vehicle, traveling in response to an emergency call, closer than 300 feet, or drive nearer to, or park the vehicle within 200 feet of, where any fire apparatus has stopped in answer to a fire alarm.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Feb '17

Is it really gonna kill you to pull over??

Browning
Feb '17

Mr. Tone

They're NOT idiots. Here's a link to a posting of NJ Title 39 (Motor Vehicle Code) which shows that you MUST pull over and stop until the vehicle has passed:

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-39/section-39-4-92/

Please note that it says "every vehicle", meaning those on BOTH sides of the road with no divider.

While it does say "upon giving audible signal", normally they only give that if people don't move out of the way for the flashing red lights, or if they are in an area with a lot of cross traffic, etc. In many states it is a multiple point offense to fail to yied they right of way, etc. so most people would prefer to do the right thing and pull over to a stop without having to make them sound the siren as well. As for you not pulling over, what if someone was backing out of a driveway or garage with limited visibility and failed to see or hear the warnings? The ambulance may have to evade the other driver by moving into your lane, but can't because you're occupying that lane. There's logic behind it.

Here's the section that precedes the one I posted above.

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-39/section-39-4-91/

What Greg posted was a link to the newer section of the law that I believe added to the first link I posted as an addition to be sure people pulled over towards the left if passing a stopped emergency vehicle to give the emergency worker more clearance and safety.

The law ALSO addresses the fact that the emergency worker MUST ALSO be ultimately responsible for driving in a safe manner so as not to endanger the motoring public. THEY can be punished too, and should be IF they are being a hazard!

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '17

Phil, I saw the "justia" link too, but just to be sure (in case law firms have out of date info) here is the official site for NJ statutes:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/Default.asp

Click on "Statutes" under "Laws and Constitution".

If you want NJ Administrative code, the official source is:

http://www.lexisnexis.com/njoal/

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Feb '17

Use some common sense. What if the ambulance needs to turn in front of you? Just pull to the side to give extra room and go slowly. You will arrive at your destination at the same time you would have anyway.

The really annoying people are the ones who go 5-10 below the speed limit because they plan to turn in a 1/4 mile.

maja2 maja2
Feb '17

Thanks Mark, I only used them because it came up first and i knew the older portions of the law were supposedly not changed, but you're absolutely right. There are some things in my 1985 edition that have been changed or deleted. Like being the second person, etc. that comes to a stop behind a stop sign. It used to be that when the way was clear for the first vehicle that came to a stop to proceed through, then the ones behind them that also came to a stop could go through and traffic on the main highway had to yield to them!

You can see why that was finally rescinded, as people knowing the law would figure they could go, whereas the folks on the road without the stop sign are putting their foot through the firewall trying to avoid a collision not knowing that the stop sign folks by law should have been given the right of way.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '17

I always pull over whether the ambulance is in my lane or the opposite lane. I have NO idea if it's a law or not. I just know that they have to get somewhere much more important then any place I'm going....so the 3 seconds it takes me to move over is NO BIG DEAL. I just think its common sense to "make room" for all emergency vehicles. I don't want them to have to slow down, not even for a second because my car is possibly in the way......because if this were my family member in the abulance I would want them to get to where they need to be, safely and quickly.

Mr. Tone, sorry to say it, but you really sound like an idiot.....why in the world would it bother you so much to see other people pull over...it makes no sense to me.

littlelu littlelu
Feb '17

Is it me or is the wording ambiguous? It states when the emergency vehicle is approaching. Does it mean from behind or both directions?

+1000littlelu, seems like a no-brainer

justwondering justwondering
Feb '17

Greg, that means from any direction, whether catching up to you, or coming your way or if you're on a side street intersecting the street they're on. It certainly wouldn't be good to see everyone pull over and then for someone else to turn in front of them from a side street they're approaching.

As littlelu mentioned what if they need to get to or are coming back from an accident or emergency involving one of your close friends or family members? Are we all so jaded or non-caring that we just don't give a rat's patoot as to allowing the first responders a clear path both outbound and inbound? I hope not. I always respond as if I would hope people would do should I be in the ambulance needing attention. I would hope that people would get the heck out of their way and give them a clear and unobstructed path to get me to help in a safe yet urgent manner!

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '17

So common courtesy and plain old fashioned common sense are in question ? Two things , no.1 if an emergency vehicle is doing twice the speed limit or more and a deer runs out in front of it they should have the extra room to maneuver , also I don't want to hit the furry beast and wreck my car either . No.2 my late Dad and Mom were in the Volunteer Fire Department and Red Cross respectively and their ghosts would likely rise up from the grave and smack me upside the head for not being courteous like when yielding to first responders or holding the door open for a fellow human being . Once some impatient driver went around me when I yielded , since it was a 30mph zone I suppose he got to where he was going about .3 seconds before I did .

MeatPopsicle MeatPopsicle
Feb '17

MeatPopsicle

An emergency vehicle isn't supposed to be doing twice the speed limit either, but that's on them should they cause an accident, like the Asst. Fire Chief who didn't need to be on the scene, since a supervisor was already on site. He was going faster than the speed limit and apparently blew through lights and stop signs and managed to hit another car. If I remember correctly he killed the other driver. It was somewhere in South Jersey and he was definitely brought up on charges for failing to exercise due care. It's written in the law, even if they press it slightly and some do obviously "cowboy it", but then there are the bad apples here and there.

Love your username, by the way. Right out of "The 5th Element"

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '17

Lots of SD'ish like posts here...don't need to read all that gibberish.... :)

thecoach thecoach
Feb '17

Mr. Tone, what if that was one of your family members in the squad and no one pulled over for them, because they felt that same way, oh they have room. I pull to the side for all emergency vehicles that have there lights on. Because one day you never know, it you need them

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is the actual safety of ALL concerned. It is a well-proven, statistical fact that the safety of all on the roads is greater if traffic is proceeding smoothly. For example, it's actually safer if everyone on a highway is doing 80 MPH than if everyone is driving at various different speeds between 50 and 65 MPH. It is the different, the unexpected, that often leads to collisions.

With that being noted, suddenly slowing down and pulling over, when an ambulance is traveling in the opposite direction, might actually be MORE dangerous, for everyone on the road, because it interrupts the smooth flow of traffic. For example, if the person behind you is distracted (or flash-blinded--some emergency vehicles have absurdly bright lights!) by the ambulance, it may not notice you slowing down, until it's too late.

And so, in general, I think that common sense rules, in such a situation, would favor continuing on, albeit cautiously. And even if, by chance, you were issued a citation for doing so, I think that presenting the above argument in court--that your logical actions were in favor of the safety of everyone on the roadway--would be enough to persuade a judge to dismiss the charges.

JerseyWolf JerseyWolf
Feb '17

If I'm driving in the opposite direction of an emergency vehicle, I don't pull over. At an intersection, yes you need to be cautious. If an emergency vehicle decides to suddenly cut in front of people on the opposite side of the road where there is no intersection, then they're not driving safe.

Metsman Metsman
Feb '17

Mr. Tone - this really bothers you enough to post about it? Just pull to the side for 10 seconds...it won't affect your travel time at all.

HLamusesme HLamusesme
Feb '17

How about when an ambulance overtakes you on a highway? I've had it happen several times on 80. I just move over. Would you all have pulled over? I actually agree with the OP I've seen so many close calls because people panic and slam on the brakes to get to the shoulder when the ambulance already had a lane and no one was in the way.

TappinIvories TappinIvories
Feb '17

I really find it interesting that an ambulance is an 'inconvenience' to so many --- 1) it's the law --- 2) you are going the other direction, you have NO clear vision or predictive ability to see what is in front of the ambulance if you are keeping your eyes on the road and 3) What if you or your family member was in that ambulance? For some reason a car doesn't pull over, someone on a side road by the ambulance is not paying attention and cuts in front, with a car in the lane, immediate accident ----

and really your 10 secs is at that time NOT more important than the ambulance - freakin' yield ---- and guess what relieving ANY stress on the part of the EMT is a GOOD thing!

PS - I was probably one of the cars you were talking about -- and I get equally annoyed when people do not yield.

trekster3- trekster3-
Feb '17

"because people panic" and "the person behind you is distracted" are likely at the top of what causes most accidents. People should not be driving a vehicle on public roads if they don't have the constitution to do so safely. You should always be present in what you are doing and be able to anticipate almost any scenario that may play out in front of you or down the road.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '17

right there with you trekster3-

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '17

"How about when an ambulance overtakes you on a highway?"

For me, it's usually the other way around... the ambulance is doing 65 with its lights flashing as I blow by it. Are they not allowed to exceed the speed limit, even in an emergency?

ianimal ianimal
Feb '17

I always pull to the right regardless of what lane an emergency vehicle is in. You never know if the vehicle needs to turn. Having many friends who are police, firefighters, paramedics and EMTs I've heard countless stories about ahole drivers who have impeded on their right of way. Pull over people! Are you really in that much of a hurry?

Calico696 Calico696
Feb '17

I really think some of you are being very rude towards the OP. He simply stated

"Driving earlier today and in the other lane here comes an ambulance with its lights on.. with no cars in its lane it was proceeding along just fine What I didn't understand is why the three cars in my lane felt compelled to pull off into the shoulder of the road."

He clearly stated NOBODY was in front of the ambulance. He wasn't saying that the law was to NOT pull over. He simply asked if anyone did or did not agree with his thoughts about it. I personally would pull to the side to make sure that in no way I was blocking it from its path. However, again I will state, nobody was in front of him and his direction of travel was not impeded in any way.

For littlelu to say that mr. tone sounds like an idiot....pretty rude to me, totally uncalled for. We can all have different opinions but when it gets to be name calling, your whole point goes up in smoke. Again, it was a question as to if you agree with him or not.

bgood105 bgood105
Feb '17

ianimal, that happened to me on Christmas Eve. We were coming home from Connecticut and the roads were dead, but just as we approached an on ramp, a fire engine entered the highway and got in the left of two lanes, travelling at a moderate to slow pace. The car in front of me took it upon himself to sit just behind the fire engine, in the right lane, and prevent anyone from going past the fire engine for what was close to 5 miles.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '17

mr tone, listen to your wife she is correct. pull over and give them room!

2 cents 2 cents
Feb '17

Not every ambulance on the road is in an emergency situation. They may have their lights on and going the speed limit because they are just transporting a patient.

Pull over... it may save a life!

Soo me Soo me
Feb '17

bgood reread his post!

the only reason I said he sounded like an idiot is because that was how HE referred to drivers that do pull over!

AND in my opinion it's more idiotic to NOT spend the 3 to 5 seconds to pull over to let the ambulance go by.....

littlelu littlelu
Feb '17

I believe that's what we were taught 30-40 years ago to pull over for an ambulance. I have always and always will pull over for an ambulance whether its on my side or not.

Amy Bandel Amy Bandel
Feb '17

I agree with JIT. Its the PC thing to do. Plus, if you're consistent about doing it, you will be less likely to rear-end the guy in front of you that just pulled over.....mostly...

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Feb '17

I think if it is opposite way I don't stop, I make sure I give them space.
I have seem driver slam their brakes, pull to the right and almost cause accidents.

BrownEyesGuy BrownEyesGuy
Feb '17

Living in hackettstown and driving willow grove I'm am always pulling off to the side to make room.. My issue is with people pulling over for no real reason as the ambulance is proceeding along with no issues...As others have said it creates uncertainty.. For the record I am all for our first responders I think they do a great job on so many levels!!!!! As far as littlelu it takes one to know one!

Mr. Tone Mr. Tone
Feb '17

What's more dangerous is someone stopped at a light with an EV behind them and decides to run the light to get out of the way - or the ubiquitous EV wake - ergo let the vehicle pass you then use that to improve your standing in traffic or follow the vehicle closely and pass vehicles pulled over

skippy skippy
Feb '17

Omg!! Why is this even a discussion??? I rarely post in here....but honestly don't know why this is up for discussion. ... If you see an emergency vehicle coming from any direction PULL OVER... I have a traumatic brain injury from accident which took place in Hackettstown. .. my life will NEVER be the same .... PULL OVER

This is so ridiculous. Just pull over for a second won't kill you but ignorance might not help your neighbor

Ilikeflowers Ilikeflowers
Feb '17

Move over and get out of the way. What would you want others to do if you were in the ambulance?

Thanks for the clarification, Phil.

I would echo Mr.Tone as well. Naturally in most instances one should pull to the side as necessary- and I do. I am also referring to the times where there are no other vehicles in front of the approaching emergency vehicle and just clear lanes of travel including side streets if any.. I have been driving Willow Grove road daily for 34 years and have encountered the situation many times where the only vehicle is an ambulance from 5 corners to Bilby road and just me traveling in the opposite direction into town. I do not typically pull over if I determine it is safe to continue on. I feel there is simply no impact on the mission of the emergency vehicle either way.

I will say yesterday I was having lunch in the Williansburg section of Brooklyn and while walking to Vinnie's to have a top 5 slice of pizza in my life, I watched as two firetrucks attempted to get through the streets, That seemed to be a herculean task to complete expeditiously in the city.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.