Anyone now living in North Carolina?

My husband and I are thinking of getting out of Hackettstown now that we are retired. We are in North Carolina now staying in my daughters beach house in Kure Beach. We are looking at houses in Leland. Are there any transplants from Hackettstown living in this area who can give me insight into living in this area. Also thinking about Delaware. Anyone living there who would like to recommend good areas? Thanks

Mariann Mariann
Feb '17

We would be interested to know as well!

We've been checking out nobles pond in Dover Delaware. It looks great!! Been there twice talked to residents....very seriously considering a move there. 55+ community with lots of activities Ask for Brian if you visit.....no pressure. No sales pitch

Ziggy Ziggy
Feb '17

My sister moved to Leland almost 4 years ago + she absolutely loves it. I visited her last Easter and liked what I saw. I will speak with her + get some more information so I can post for you.

Joyce Joyce
Feb '17

Brunswick Forest in Leland is very nice. They will be at the Bridgewater Mall next Saturday along with some other communities from down there. Intersting, that the four couples we met were all from NJ with one from Long Valley, small world.

kb2755 kb2755
Feb '17

I love it here - near Raleigh - any questions feel free

skippy skippy
Feb '17

We were going to check out Brunswick Forest today but didn't have enough time. Maybe tomorrow. My daughter has two neighbors in PA who moved there. Thanks Joyce, that would be great !

Mariann Mariann
Feb '17

Please keep this going, I would be interested to know more as well

Steven Steven
Feb '17

Cost Cons – Highway Use Tax (HUT) Sales Tax and Payroll Tax

North Carolina collects a 3% Highway Use Tax on vehicles in lieu of a state sales tax. The tax is assessed each time a title is transferred. All transactions involving a vehicle already titled in the customer’s name, from another state, 90 days prior to registering in North Carolina, will be taxed on vehicle value, with a maximum of $150.00 being assessed, in addition to a fee of 28.00 for plates and the yearly excise tax.

Sales tax in North Carolina is a 2-part tax, state & local. The state sales tax rate is 4.25%, but the local sales tax rate varies from a low of 2.5% to a high of 3.0%. So, in most areas of the state the combined sales tax rate is 6.75%, but can be as high as 7.25%

Other pros:

Weather is much milder but still have 4 seasons
lots of colleges/athletics
Cheaper rent / real estate
NC state colleges are very good and may be a benefit
Close to the Outer Banks, Wilmington and Myrtle Beach
Cheaper car insurance, etc.

Market watch link to retiree considerations

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/retire-here-not-there-north-carolina-2014-07-29

skippy skippy
Feb '17

I've mentioned before I have family in Charlotte area and Wilmington. The thing with the Wilmington area when I had to go there, I was really, really glad I was in a rented SUV. There was water everywhere. And I do mean everywhere and like two feet of it. Raining an awful lot and rough going. It wouldn't be me during the hurricane season, although I'm sure the summer is nice. Be careful if you have asthma too, it's not a good area for people with that. Otherwise it has its ups and downs as far as I've heard.

I don't have any family in Delaware, but do have a client with a house in the south part of the Delaware section of DelMarVa. He likes that for a get away time, has had weather issues a couple of times in the past few years. But he's also not on the ocean side.

Yeah agreed we have a pollen season where your car turns green

skippy skippy
Feb '17

We have green cars here in NJ too, but down there the humidity on top of it takes a huge toll on people with asthma. The south west tends to be a draw for people with those kind of issues, not the south east.

http://www.elon.edu/e-web/pendulum/issues/2004/5_6/news/pinkeye.xhtml

something happens with the oak trees in this area though that is different as well

http://www.hickoryallergy.com/what-are-the-pollen-seasons-in-north-carolina/

NC has some definite significant asthmatic triggers

skippy skippy
Feb '17

Aiken county is beautiful but I'm waiting until my kids finish school in NJ.

kerii
Feb '17

There was a link to a website just posted on here - something about comparing NC cities - it is not here now - I clicked on it and now my iPad is locked up...beware !

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Feb '17

South Carolina is more retiree friendly. Check the deets before deciding on NC. Here is a couple websites with information to peruse:

http://asaprealtyofthecarolinas.com/north-carolina-vs-south-carolina/

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-worst-states-to-retire/18592/

Teresa Teresa
Feb '17

My friend lives in Delaware and complains that the health care is not great. Something to consider if you have Heath concernes.

Jesse134 Jesse134
Feb '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.