Cast iron radiators

Does anyone know where these are sold? What they go for these days? I have them in an old house I just bought and need to replace them. Thanks!

PVgal PVgal
Feb '17

Try calling Warco here in Hackettstown. They are a plumbing supply business.

http://www.warcosupply.com/

(908) 852- 3973. Clayton will answer any questions.

I'm curious why you have to replace them?
I have a 70 year old house with the original radiators.

happiest girl
Feb '17

We own a 200 year old house with the original radiators -- never had to replace a one.

Heidi Heidi
Feb '17

Sometimes it's best to restore the original.

Happyguy Happyguy
Feb '17

Be careful - I had a house in pburg with them and one sprung a leak under pressure. They can fail.

skippy skippy
Feb '17

Restoring your existing cast iron radiators is a possibility if they are not leaking but just unsightly with many coats of peeling silver paint on them.. They could be sandblasted to remove all the paint built up over the years and then have them powder coated. Restored vintage radiators may be more attractive than any current new radiator (that is if they are even available). This may be a less expensive alternative to replacing them.

fusselfrei
Feb '17

Waco in Hackettstown can get them for you, they are expensive, I can't remember what I paid for it but I know it was. Also Clayton is no longer there he retired!

Dadof3
Feb '17

My brother-in-law was selling some from his historic home. They were listed on the 'Hackettstown Garage Sale' page on Facebook.

TigerMom
Feb '17

I have one if you are interested. Free, you just need to pick it up in Hackettstown.

DrLAF DrLAF
Feb '17

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/08/nyregion/steam-radiators-dangerous-rarely-deadly.html

"The authorities have said that the girls, Ibanez Ambrose, 2, and Scylee Vayoh Ambrose, 1, were found by emergency responders just after noon on Wednesday after a radiator malfunctioned in their apartment. The New York City Medical Examiner’s Office said the sisters had died from overheating and thermal injuries from exposure to hot steam."

you really need to have them tested especially if they are old.

skippy skippy
Feb '17

You can pressure test them with air .

Steven Steven
Feb '17

Sounds like you have some great options right here.

We love our radiators! They had quite a bit of paint on them but each time we paint a room now my husband puts a wire brush on his grinder and takes them back down to the metal so we can paint them again without lumps and bumps.

hktownie hktownie
Feb '17

Skippy ,NYC provides high pressure steam to customers(100psi+) once inside the building it is,reduced down to something safer for residential use. Locally a home with a steam boiler for heat the pressure would only be about 5psi a lot less dangerous than high pressure steam!

Dadof3
Feb '17

Sure agreed but hot water on you hurts and if you are not home destroys your hardwood floors - just sharing an experience your mileage may vary

skippy skippy
Feb '17

Hot water is not steam.

Clarification Clarification
Feb '17

Thanks everyone!

PV native PV native
Feb '17

Single pipe steam radiators are not under pressure. The steam ones in NYC are usually two pipe pressure systems. we have a 3 story house with steam heat (26 cast iron radiators, most more than 100 years old). Refurbishing is much less expensive than replace, for one thing shipping a 400 pond cast iron radiator is not cheap.

Best bet is to find one at a local antique place or salvage place. There are modern radiators that are not cast iron available, I have heard bad things about them so would never consider them. But your mileage may vary.

Agust Agust
Feb '17

you can test for leaks with 25 lbs of air pressure, do not need a lot , not likely they leak, just be sure to drain them of any rust / crud that has accumulated inside ( makes them less efficient , as it takes longer for them to heat up ) .

Can even use a water hose to check, just need warm weather !

Good Luck .

Steven Steven
Feb '17

Sounds like a plan

skippy skippy
Feb '17

So PVgal did you ever "replace" the old cast iron radiators? I'm actually shopping for a couple "new" ones. I need a short one (under 18 inches, but up to 8-10 veins) and a standard 30 inch one again 8-12 veins.

Or if anyone knows of a place that has a couple for sale, I can pick them up (even if they are heavy). Would prefer if they are ready to go but will consider anything that is old and relatively nice even if I have to sand blast them.

Agust Agust
Sep '17

Hope you can find some!

We have cast iron radiators, hot water not steam and I love them. Recently we cleaned all of the old paint off of them with a wire brush attached to a grinder tool. Wiped them down, cleaned up the mess and we were able to repaint them, they look like new.

hktownie hktownie
Sep '17

There use to be a place in Connecticut , acres of items salvaged from demo'd homes ..perhaps you can find thru google.

I found pocket doors and a porcelain sink for a home I had back then.

Good luck

Steven Steven
Sep '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.