Makerspace

Just trying to see what people know about around or if there would be interest in building one locally?

Looking for a makerspace with CNC mill, lathe, and manual mill and lathe saws, your basic machine shop stuff as well. Kinda like a gym membership to come in and use the equipment. 3d printer and such would be cool too.

If one doesn't exist locally, who would be interested in joining one?

Maker Maker
Feb '17

Count me in! I have a few projects on hold b/c I don't have the equipment or the money to buy it. Having a place that has a machine shop and has a monthly membership just sounds plain awesome.

LJRubi LJRubi
Feb '17

i have access to a lot of the equipment, and its all in storage. that's why i am thinking about if there is a way to make it available to others and not cost me more than my storage space does now, i would love to make it happen. i also have to see how other maker spaces work legal stuff and membership to cost ratio

and for the grammar guys, i know my shift key broke

Maker Maker
Feb '17

I would love for something like that to exist locally!

uppedjk uppedjk
Feb '17

I think the one challenge you would have is insurance. I think it's a great idea and would love it.

You would have people using tools they arent used to using.

Nosila Nosila
Feb '17

I'm a big car, motorcycle, tool kinda guy. There are several threads about this on several boards I am on. The info you need is out there.

As far as you being able to pull this off for less than what storage fees cost you- not going to happen, at least at first. Eventually once you build up enough members you might turn a profit. But it will take dedication, and most importantly- working all the avenues to get the word out. Go and talk to every motorcycle shop, hot rod car shops, sponser signs and tower announcements at island dragway etc.

This concept has many logistical problems.-

The guys that are skilled may already have equipment or a place to work. They (mostly) won't want to be around hack jobs screwing up the equipment, leaving messes behind, etc.

The guys that are new will require more supervision, higher risk, may be younger with more attitude and less willing to pay a fair price.

What happens when a job goes wrong and ties up a bay or lift for longer than expected? A tool breaks?

Don't get me wrong- if you do it right, location, equipment, and what I would consider most valuable- availability of knowledge to instruct / advise, it can be great. But you need to hit the right people, manage it very well, balancing all the aspects- it is as far from running a gym as I can think. A gym in comparison is mindless and can be run by a monkey. Gyms make most of their money by people never showing up and when they do show up they mostly need no attention or care.

+1 here! Would love a maker space locally and have thought about doing one myself too. Now if I only had the money lol.

justintime justintime
Feb '17

Forgot to mention- keeping cross contamination from the wood guys, metal guys, paint guys, etc is always a concern.

You can limit what you provide to prevent issues but then limit market and possible revenue.

I'd be interested.

GetOverYerself GetOverYerself
Feb '17

there is empty warehouse space at the tannery site. might work well for your idea. seems like a decent amount of interest so far....

realitycheck
Feb '17

Additive processes are the way to go for this kind of thing. Create and share models (open source sharing being the key to drawing in the non-technical folks) and build using various 3D printing technologies.

Need an obsolete part for that dishwasher? How about a custom phone holder/case? Invent a new game and need to create a prototype? Lots of possibilities, especially when the tech gets easier and more prolific. That time isn't too far off.

justintime justintime
Feb '17

I'd be in.

alpha1beta alpha1beta
Feb '17

Extremely interested. I have a huge space in my daughter's 3-car garage with adequate electric and heat. Still have all my fingers after using all kinds of saws. Always ready to learn how to use new tools like 3D printers to make new quality items. Great idea. PM me. I really want to move on this. Thanks.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '17

this sounds like a wonderful idea!

pmnsk pmnsk
Feb '17

Sounds very interesting. Might be interested.

thehazguy thehazguy
Feb '17

If there were classes or events offered regarding certain tools and trades it would be awesome. Metal work or how to with different woodworking tools.

uppedjk uppedjk
Feb '17

Classes and workshops would be in the plan once the shop is set up. I am thinking auto shop, but more a tinker prototype "hack and play" kind of set up. like someone else said, make that part for an older dishwasher, make a phone case, stuff like that. between 2 or 3 guys I am kinds brainstorming with to make this happen, we have some CNC mills and Lathes (small ones) and a dozen or so 3d printers and handfuls of other tools, and equipment. I want to see this happen and want to work to make it happen.

Maker Maker
Feb '17

It looks like libraries are starting to develop Maker spaces as part of their community involvement. http://library-maker-culture.weebly.com/makerspaces-in-libraries.html The Northeast Branch of the Warren County library is hosting a Makers Day on March 25th. I wonder if they might be interested in creating a permanent Maker Space? They may already have the necessary insurance and infrastructure. Maybe if they were approached by a group of Makers who could offer tools and expertise?

Independence Farmer Independence Farmer
Feb '17

The library I approached (which I will leave nameless for now) wanted 3d printers and that was about it, besides classes and workshops, which hardly puts a dent in whet there is to cover, and leaves you tied to their schedule.

I want something where everyone has a code to the door, or a badge that they can open the door, go in and work on it, (certain things needing approval to run your part in like your first couple 3d prints needing approval just to make sure it is appropriate for the printer) certain things print horribly in certain printers.

And each machine you are trained on you can use by inputting your code into it.

I just had dinner with one of the guys with the equipment and he has given me the YES he will put some of his machines in here. I now need to put together the business plan and form the non-profit to start this before finding a location. He is also on board with me in finishing making this happen.

Maker Maker
Feb '17

It would most likely not fit the 24 hr access part, but have you considered approaching Warren Tech. Particularly when I see the educational aspect of what you talk about, they would really be able to help there.

I had a neighbor that tried to start this 45 years ago. The insurance killed the idea.

Old Gent Old Gent
Feb '17

Maker - Let me get this straight: This would be a single site, with certifications, card swipes, etc., so as to prevent injuries, a noble goal. Sorry, but I thought it would be a combination of equipment rental and training at the site of your choice. A few good lawyers could write a contract that holds you harmless for any injuries as the result of using the equipment. Now not so interested in your plan.

DannyC DannyC
Feb '17

I will ask the administration of tech, although allowing public access within a school would be hard, hence why the library had to add their own private entrance but not totally impossible. I will look into that

Maker Maker
Feb '17

There is currently a maker space in totowa, I visited it recently and it was a pretty cool place. There was a basic machine shop with cnc lathe, mill and manual tools and welders. There was also a basic wood shop set up and a laser engrave. Kids were their with parents working on robotics projects. It didn't seem like a real profit was being turned in talking to the owner. It would be nice if the schools did not do away with their metalworking, auto shops and other tech areas. Maybe then we would be able to fill the need for skilled labor in the work force. Not all kids want to attend the vo-tech either.

elmer elmer
Feb '17

Themakerdepot.com in Totowa

Seenit
Feb '17

To me it is not about profit, but sharing knowledge, collaborating and giving the community a place that we can tinker. I am writing up all kinds of paperwork now to try to make this happen.

Maker Maker
Feb '17

You've probably come across this site but if not they might have some good info for NJ startups:

http://njmakerspace.org/content/start-makerspace

justintime justintime
Feb '17

I may have posted this before but there's a very good on-line 3D CAD site called OnShape:

https://www.onshape.com

Free for small projects and imo perfect for a "maker" to learn the principles of 3D cad because if you can get OnShape you'll be able to pick up any professional cad program too.

justintime justintime
Feb '17

I will look more into that site, thanks justintime

Maker Maker
Feb '17

I sat down to dinner with a few guys last night regarding equiptment and making this happen. Its looking good.

Maker Maker
Feb '17

Any progress Maker?

justintime justintime
Apr '17

Getting things set up now for a more private invite only setup and seeing how many people want to be involved before we go forward with the larger costs of a serious place to rent, I will keep you updated.

Laser cutter is in places along with the drill press, 1 cnc mill is set up and we are clearing out the rest of the space in the barn. then we can finish set up of the other machines. Location is in Long Valley.

Maker Maker
Apr '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.