Venting Thread - 13th Edition

Other thread was getting too long.

Another empty store in Mansfield. Buddys Small Lots closed on Sunday. That strip mall is going to hell. 4 empties, maybe soon to be more. Town starting to look disgraceful.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Jan '17

I'm actually inclined to agree, after six years of arguing with my better half that Hackettstown was not a declining quasi-rural town.

Drive down Main Street and note how many stores are occupied vs how many are for rent - and some of the vacant storefronts are (were) "major" names in town. Leo's. Marty's (although they reopened in a smaller, less visually interesting space).

The unquestioned marquee location in town is the Flock building at 46 and 517 and it's basically empty - fair play to the home brewing and the biscotti stores and the "compramos oro" place but I have no idea how they stay in business, and they don't really add much to the sputtering economic engine that is Hackettstown.

Surely there are bright spots, but I'd be hard-pressed to name one.

Matt D Matt D
Jan '17

We need a Trader Joes! Weis is too expensive and Shop Rite is terrible. Buddy's Small Lots was a waste of space. That store just brings more garbage to the area then we already have, not to mention the entire parking lot from SR to the Movies is a mess. I avoid it as much as I can. We need better stores, ie: sports store, clothing store, etc.

HateHtown
Jan '17

Matt I do believe bothered was talking about Mansfield not Hackettstown.

Our walkable Main streets are dying. Unfortunately its a combination of big box stores, restrictions of businesses from the state and regulations. To start a business you need mucho dinero. Ask any small business owner.

infogirl
Jan '17

https://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/199805/where-bias-begins-the-truth-about-stereotypes

For 4catmom. Stereotyping is essentially natural...

Parts of that article reminds me of Ian's Monkey Sphere post from years back lol

justintime justintime
Jan '17

Hatehtown-Buddys brought "garbage" to the area?
You'd be surprised at who shopped there.
They sold Michael Kors, Cache, Ralph Lauren, etc...

And yes, I was referring to Mansfield, NOT Hackettstown. FYI, All those stores, from Family Food Mart, to Wal-Mart are in Mansfield, NOT Hackettstown.

Jan '17

Bothers by u...those were all counterfeit knockoffs

Bug3
Jan '17

Bug3-Exactly!

HateHtown
Jan '17

Thank big chain stores and the internet for the downfall of Main Streets everywhere.

I do think (parking aside) the now vacant Marty's would make an awesome space for a restaurant/bar/brewer. The two floors and that big staircase are great.

Eperot Eperot
Jan '17

The wonderful restaurants and micro breweries in Hackettstown are a big positive though! Perhaps not the right attitude for a venting thread?

hktownie hktownie
Jan '17

Wrong Bug3

Jan '17

The big problem for downtown Hackettstown is the lack of parking especially for the restaurants that need to turn tables several times in an evening. Small business's must offer something special that the big box stores do not. They need to offer unique items and not compete on price.

Jono the restaurants in town are doing fine. We are becoming a destination for some awesome restaurants. There is no parking issue. Plenty of lots if patrons would use them. You cant expect to park in front of a restaurant everytime you go there.

infogirl
Jan '17

People who sit in their armchairs and criticize others who are trying to make a positive difference in the world (the dogs caged outside thread). Unbelievable.

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '17

+1 Rebecka

And I'll add to that, people who have changed both their user name and user gender in order to come back to the forum and make the same snarky, counter- productive, pot stirring comments on any thread that is going in a positive direction.

weebiekins weebiekins
Feb '17

My mom put up a good fight against cancer for over a year, but unfortunately she lost the battle Saturday February 4th.

I don't even know how to cope with it, I'm angry and sad, but I need to stay strong to help my brother. He has lived with her all his life, never married nor had kids..she was his life.

Sorry just needed to get it out there..not looking for sympathy, just a few listening ears.

positive positive
Feb '17

U got them always here on hackettstown life

Lwinters Lwinters
Feb '17

I'm sorry, positive. You and your brother are in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you Rich..means a lot. ☺

positive positive
Feb '17

My thoughts and prayers are with you, and I send you both feelings of peace and strength. I lost my mother a few years ago. She had lived with us and I cared for her through a long slow battle with Alzheimers. After was very difficult because so much of life had revolved around her needs. Get your brother into a grief group. Have him do volunteer work; nursing homes, veterans hospitals , animal shelters, church runs to homeless areas. It brings immense peace to the heart and soul to help others. And support groups let you connect with others who have "been there, done that". Keep him busy.

Dansker Dansker
Feb '17

Much love to you positive - prayers coming your way .

skippy skippy
Feb '17

Dear Positive,
So sorry for your loss.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Feb '17

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your brother, Positive....at this very sad time..

Joyful Joyful
Feb '17

Really so sorry to hear that Positive. You always seem to live up to your name. Just remember you have to take care of yourself too. It's not just about being there for family, you just lost mom. It's OK to be sad and angry. You might want to try one of those grief groups that were discussed a little while ago.

Very sorry for you loss - I double what GC is stating about taking care of yourself -
I remind all my friends at times of stress in their lives, put the oxygen mask on yourself first, then assist others.

saying a prayer for you

hugs
Wendy

wbeleno wbeleno
Feb '17

Oh no, what sad news. Positive, you are such a presence here so many people must feel like I do, like we know you... you will be in my thoughts and prayers... and those of many others I'm sure, as well. ((((Hugs))))

Rebecka Rebecka
Feb '17

Sorry for your loss, Positive.

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '17

So sorry for your loss Positive. Try to stay strong.

kb2755 kb2755
Feb '17

So very sorry for your loss, positive.

Aquarius Aquarius
Feb '17

So very sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers your way.

Love to Sing Love to Sing
Feb '17

Thank you so much everyone for your very kind words.

positive positive
Feb '17

So sorry to hear, Positive. I know well how hard it is to lose your mom.

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '17

I'm so sorry for your loss positive. I hope you and your brother can find peace and strength in each other.

Positive, My ears hear and my Heart hurts for your loss and your struggle with anger and sadness. I don't know you, but please know how much I care. I am sending hugs your way.

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Feb '17

Positive ~ I'm so sorry for your loss. Prayers for both you and your brother.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Feb '17

Certain people who use the ladies bathroom at Wal-Mart! What kind of PIGS are you?? Hate to see what your bathroom at home looks like! ! DISGUSTING!!

Feb '17

Many years ago I worked in a super fresh grocery store and had to mop and clean the rest rooms - I was absolutely dumbfounded as to what folks do to a rest room

skippy skippy
Feb '17

Shocking isn't it! I can't comprehend why some people do what they do.
Absolutely mind-boggling.

Feb '17

Yeah I don't understand the concept of summarily disregarding those that come after you - significant portions of the population must have been raised in pig stys is my only answer - but then animals will avoid contact with their own waste.

skippy skippy
Feb '17

yes some ladies leave ladies rooms as if they were not ladies...............

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '17

My kitten/cat loves to claw at the toilet paper, making a fine mess of several feet of clawed sheets. Maybe there is a kitten/cat in the ladies room?

DannyC DannyC
Feb '17

Worked in fast food in high school- we refused to clean the men's room. The ladies room was bad enough.
And why is it hard for 4 adults with a few little kids to take their trash out of the movie theater? That makes me nuts

Blackcat Blackcat
Feb '17

Blackcat

Even one person not taking out their own stuff is ridiculous in my book. They brought stuff in while full & there are containers just outside to put refuse in, so why can't people take their leavings out to the can? The staff that cleans up after the patrons already have broom, etc. in hand to sweep up spilled popcorn, etc., they shouldn't need to make multiple trips outside and back in. They have plenty of other theaters to clean out for the next groups to use.

I know people often say "leave it, it's their job" or try to say they are supporting jobs by leaving their trash, but it's just a rationalization of general laziness if you ask me. They just don't want to be bothered. What they are actually supporting is higher ticket prices, or a lack of cleanliness due to employees "rushing" to try to keep up.

Phil D. Phil D.
Feb '17

I don't think it's laziness. I think it's people who think they are better then others, that do crap like that. HATE people like that.

No cat in ladies room, unless he pee'd all over the seat and left it. Even toilet paper across seat, I guess before sitting, was just left on seat. FRIGGIN GROSS!!

Feb '17

Botheredbyuu2..big gripe of mine, women that pee on the seat because they don't want their ass sitting on the seat, but have no problem peeing on the seat and leaving it for the next person or the toilet paper draped all over the place left behind for someone else to clean up. Some people are truly disgusting.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '17

Worked at a grocery store in my youth, had to clean the rest rooms. Women's room was always wrecked as if no one cared, and I never understood why. I know it had to be bad for me to clearly remember the experience lol.

A rare vent from me today: Cold weather and snow. Grrr.

justintime justintime
Feb '17

My vent is this thread is getting to be T.M.I. (too much information) already. It would be nice if we could keep it classy on this forum. I get the complaints about the public restrooms and have seen it myself and it can be disgusting, but this is getting a little classless with the graphic comments.

enoughalready!
Feb '17

pee pee pee

This is especially fun for me now that my oldest is potty trained and she of course always has to use the bathroom when we're out of the house.

Bessie, totally agree. It's ridiculous.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '17

Thanks for keeping it classy, MB. This forum does not get it sometimes.

enoughalready!
Feb '17

You think because of my comment I didn't "get it"? lol.

Peeing is a natural bodily function. Get over it!

Will you blush if I say vagina?

omg - if this is so offensive to you perhaps you might want to find a different venue.......this is overall about the least offensive thread I've seen in a bit -

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '17

@4catmom if you did not just think the comment by MB was not appropriate, especially if young adults were reading it, you are clueless, which based on your political comments you are. MB's recent comment should lock this thread and I am done and going on to a website with more classy and smart people. Done with this nonsense thread.

enoughalready!
Feb '17

do young adults not know the word "penis"? wow

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '17

Isn't that just the glory of HL? When you don't like it anymore you can leave for good and never return, or take a break, then come back or just peek in now and then. Our choices affect no one here. By the way, BrotherDog, I was just asking Clyde if he's seen any posts from you recently and he said he had, then I saw you post on a thread I was reading. I was hoping all was ok by you.

Bessie Bessie
Feb '17

I took a job at an adult book store. I quit on the first day. The dude training me hands me a bucket of hot soapy water and a scrub brush and says it's clean up time.
But no way, I tell the dude, yo ,some jerk off comes and makes a mess and I have to clean it? I said see man that's just something I'm not willing to do.
And I'm sure it had something to do with glory even at a hole in the wall place like that.

4catmom - too funny and true.

Enoughalready - bye bye! PLEASE go read a different thread. With more class. SMH!

Feb '17

Bessie....I totally agree with you. It's so easy to just move on....

littlelu littlelu
Feb '17

Enoughalready, I work in a dementia facility, poo and pee everywhere! Sometimes they poo in dresser drawers..even pee in the ac/heating units.

I hope you have a clear visual as you are reading this..even better I hope you're eating a late dinner. Lol

positive positive
Feb '17

lol positive - lmbo

4catmom 4catmom
Feb '17

Just needed to make a deposit....

justintime justintime
Feb '17

Phony people who fabricate, manipulate and lie..who haven't given a crap in years, however all of a sudden appear and act like they really care.

Note to these offenders: Please do not use my trauma to make your pretentious selves look good and think by showing up when it's too late will alleviate your guilt.

Too late is too late

positive positive
Feb '17

People PLEASE take down your Christmas decorations already!

Feb '17

Hey that's my Saint Patrick's day bush lol

skippy skippy
Feb '17

With wreaths hanging on it? Lol

Feb '17

Nah I don't have that lol

skippy skippy
Feb '17

It's tick season already!

Husband pulled 2 off the dog the other night.

Tracy Tracy
Feb '17

I saw a butterfly today (I said Hi to cbel!)and many tulips coming up.

infogirl
Feb '17

Why do some people try selling stuff that's clearly old, beat up, dirty, broken??Garbage! Just throw it out. Jeez.....

Feb '17

Ever watch American Pickers BBY? One man's junk is another man's treasure...

justintime justintime
Feb '17

Someone wants it? Then keep it outta a landfill....I'll take it.

Roywhite Roywhite
Feb '17

True justintime.

This is to the woman who ran the STOP sign coming out of Mansfield Elem Schools parking lot this morning, right in front of me. I hope like hell you don't drive like that when your kids are in the car. IDIOT! !

Feb '17

Leaving your car at the pump and disappearing into the convenience store for as long as you feel like, because you don't give af about anyone but yourself.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

+10000 Tracy

Mar '17

Wonder why the ProTrump thread was locked. I hope it wasn't because of my comment to 1988LJ. Just couldn't sit on my hands....

positive positive
Mar '17

Don't sweat it, positive. I think many of us wish *all* the Trump threads would get locked.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

+111111 rebecka

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

They were both locked positive and I don't think in any way it was your post. Did your brother find a place? Hope all is well

skippy skippy
Mar '17

Why do people post their services on the Classifieds and then don't return phone calls. If your not going to return calls then don't post your services, very rude.

kb2755 kb2755
Mar '17

Skippy, not yet. He has a few more places to call...crossing my fingers.

Thank you for asking.

positive positive
Mar '17

Best of luck to you both and sorry again for you loss

skippy skippy
Mar '17

ADD can lead to some interesting pot-scrubbing challenges. >(

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

Rebecka - Have you tried getting an OCD maid. ;-)

Need!

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

Leash your dogs in parks that have signs at every entrance telling you to. SMH Ugh, I hate irresponsible dog owners!!

Rebecka, try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPeLAkafz1c

Courtney
Mar '17

MGC- yes! This drives me nuts.

Blackcat Blackcat
Mar '17

Love that video, Courtney! That is one well-trained Shepherd.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

Went in to an auto parts store to buy a canister ash tray to put in the cup holder for a friend as a present. The pink one was two dollars more than the black one. TWO dollars! On an eight dollar item! WTF!!!

I agree with some others that the Trump threads should be locked. For that matter all political bashing threads should not be allowed. They are not healthy debates when people hide behind their keyboard.

The Man The Man
Mar '17

I agree with locking Trump thread. Those that support were acting civil and had a place to voice their agreement since the long long thread was always being taken over by the haters. The pro thread was then taken over by the haters and then taken down. I guess the squeaky wheel does get the most oil. The opposition are relentless, not saying anything new but spewing hate. Take it down already. Nothing to be accomplished but their chests to be puffed out with their know-it-all comments. I think they should all look into running for President, Monday morning quarterbacks - all of them.

justwondering justwondering
Mar '17

Just like Trump supporters to be anti-1st Amendment. Following the marching orders from the pussy-grabber-in-chief

ianimal ianimal
Mar '17

Can't make a statement without the filth, nice daddy.

Mar '17

It's not MY filth, it's your so-callled President's filth. Embrace it.

ianimal ianimal
Mar '17

Just wondering if it was all one sided.........oh, yeah it was --- they were all haters.

From both sides of the aisle and beyond.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Mar '17

Both of you seem so well versed on "everything on just about every thread" run for office - your wasting all of your time here.

Mar '17

Don"t recognize filth? Hide behind the keyboard tough guy.

"Both of you seem so well versed on "everything on just about every thread" run for office - your wasting all of your time here"

They can't they would both have to show their face.

The Man The Man
Mar '17

And now for something completely different...
WTH is dropping the mic and walking off? I know what it conveys, but why is it so popular in pop culture and ads all of a sudden?
Kind of like when everybody references Chuck Norris when comparing toughness.

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '17

My back, arms and shoulders have little problem with the snow shoveling, in fact I somewhat like the exercise, unfortunately, I've either had frostbite in my hands before, have Raynaud's Syndrome, or something else. I can keep my feet reasonable warm, though not toasty, but my hands grow really numb, painful and nearly unusable. Then I have to go inside to warm them up, otherwise I can't even grip the shovel anymore. No fun at all. It's so annoying to have to stop when I'm just getting into the groove of shoveling. Does anyone else have this problem and have found a solution?

My other vent is the snowplow driver that just had to tear down the hill and around the corner throwing wet concrete-like snow all over making sure they came in close enough to throw the conesover and bury them. I have them there to mark the end of the driveway and I make sure to securely set them well in packed snow. Without them there they've torn up the road berm and the end of my driveway and thrown chunks of asphalt as large as 6" x 18" as far as 10 - 15 feet, sometimes just missing my windshield, and if I'd been out there at the time, possibly hitting me in the head. Once the snow melts I always find chunks of driveway on the lawn as testament to how reckless they've been.

I realize it's a tough job to be running without sleep to clear everything so others can get to work, the hospital, etc. and while the guys making the earlier passes were mindful of what they were doing, there's always those one or two guys that have to cowboy it and be a jerk at what they do. I'm sure Calico's husband is one of the "good guys" whose efforts I appreciate, it's just those "other guys" I wish were doing anything else besides plowing. They need to be the ones to get the shovels to clear the municipal building's walks. Oh wait, no shovels, they use snowblowers... .

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '17

Glove warmers perhaps? I use Gore-Tex ones which seemed to work yesterday. You know, wick that moisture away.

Try Lands End? I have Lands End boots and go bear foot in them in any weather. I just love these. Never get cold feet.

I need some snow pants though and am looking for "quick release" ones with zippers running ankle to waist. Snow blowing was brutal in the wind yesterday given it came from the East which is in-your-face against my driveway. Covered in snow mist is the worst even if prepared.

Mar '17

sorry to hear that Phil - they make rechargeable heated gloves

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-Battery-Operated-Heated-Gloves/dp/B01MSQAA5V/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489580185&sr=8-1&keywords=heated+gloves

skippy skippy
Mar '17

Phil, I saw a bunch of those hand warmer pouches in the clearance section of the Mansfield Walmart, recently. Maybe pop those inside your gloves?

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to check them all out and see what works. It's funny, the rest of my body doesn't need much to keep that warm, at least in present conditions when I'm shoveling, but I need the gloves , even if I'm so warm otherwise that I'm only in a T shirt to keep from overheating. Crazy, I know.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '17

Phil - have you discussed this with your doctor?

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

agree with 4cat get that checked

skippy skippy
Mar '17

4catmom

No, I actually haven't seen my Doctor about it, since it isn't an often enough bother for me to remember to mention when I'm there for a more pressing reason. I wouldn't go to the Doctor just to check on that either. I just have to remember to bring it up at "physical" time I guess.

Phil D. Phil D.
Mar '17

Phil - that is often related to circulation - My dad had what I believe was called peripheral artery disease and that was one of the symptoms. I'm not sure what can be done about it.

4catmom 4catmom
Mar '17

How can a legit business pay you under-the-table?

Mar '17

There is a very precarious Leaning Tower of Paper on my desk.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

See the storage thread lol

skippy skippy
Mar '17

Lol Skippy. I need one good bonfire.

Second vent for this week: still SORE from shoveling! Anyone else? I mean I'm beyond grateful that after 2 back surgeries I *can* shovel the snow, but man, I used muscles I do not use normally, and I'm feeling it!

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

Be careful !! Exercise is good but hurting your back is not

skippy skippy
Mar '17

Re: Venting Thread - 13th Edition

Rubber ducky and pengiun? So wrong!

maja2 maja2
Mar '17

I was a bit sad too - discussed it with chocodog- and she feels that younger folks may not be as familiar with the older items

skippy skippy
Mar '17

One more thing happens in this house and I am like calling in the paranormal investigators or something.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

Ohh...this sounds interesting....Rebecka, you must elaborate!

Darrin Darrin
Mar '17

LOL !!!

happiest girl
Mar '17

I got my EMF meter ready to deploy

skippy skippy
Mar '17

Lol Skippy.

Darrin - the latest thing was something turned on by itself last eve (and made a heck of a racket) in a room we haven't even been in in a couple weeks (only used for storage). Door to room was closed, so it wasn't a cat... and we were both 2 floors away when it happened.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

We're only a call away! Lol

John C John C
Mar '17

"Door to room was closed, so it wasn't a cat... "

That's the thing about Ninjas - you think we're sleeping, you never see, you never hear. We just STRIKE!!

Sugar Sugar
Mar '17

Rebecka, did whatever turn on by itself have batteries?

Something similar happened to me and the cause was old batteries left in a toy dinosaur and also a castle. The first time the noises went off in the middle of the night was terrifying. The second time I knew were to look for the source. Now we take all batteries out of anything going in storage in that room.
I hope your situation is that simple!

Spring Fever Spring Fever
Mar '17

I cannot stand tail-gaiters on slippery roads, and we may have a few more in March.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '17

Once we had an old Firby with newly installed batteries ready to be sold on garage sale screaming in a dark garage in the evening prior to garage sale.

Lena - Did you feed it after midnight??

GC - nah, it was already too full of energy. It was moving, opening/closing its eyes and screaming. We should just "let sleeping furby lie" instead of changing batteries.

Lena - Tell me you didn't get it wet either. Other than avoiding sunlight.... - oh well, you know the three rules. ;-)

That is too funny about the Firby. He didn't want to go!

Spring - you may have solved the mystery of this one. I didn't know things with batteries can just turn on? But that doesn't explain the other 8 or so weird happenings. I may owe John a call!

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

"8 or so weird happenings"

Let's see. Dogs. Plus cats. And then hoppidy hoppidy. Am I wrong in counting to 8?? All things considered, I'm not sure I wouldn't call them "weird happenings". Particularly in the case of Nora. And then Barney. Certainly the new one. Wait, am I getting through here at all?? ;-)

Rebecca, in my case, the batteries didn't just turn themselves on. My grandkids didn't turn their toys off at all. So the batteries got run down . Once that happens the toy battery can get a brief spurt of energy for a few minutes and start running the toy briefly and then go off for ten or so minutes and suddenly come back on again until they are shut down properly or the batteries are removed. Not sure why it alwsys happened at night for these toys! I now remove all batteries. Good luck with your situation!

Mar '17

SF, it may have also happened during the day but you didn't notice because of the ambient noise. Houses are much quieter (and spooky) when the lights are out (-;

iPhone-imal iPhone-imal
Mar '17

Okay, ianimal, then what's your explanation for why the smoke detector batteries go out in the middle of the night? ;o)

My vent for the day...this is the third Friday in a row that the same mystery person is parked in my spot at work. The person does not work for my firm, and they are in one of our firm's marked spots in the garage, the one I use. It's surprising how enraging this is.

Tracy Tracy
Mar '17

ok, ok, ok, i'm in the dark here, what's a 'firby' ? and why does it need batteries??

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '17

Tractor trailer FLYING down RT 57 this morning. Heading west, a little ways down from Tri-county, on the curve. I thought for sure he was going to tip over. SLOW DOWN, before someone gets killed.

Mar '17

Botheredbyuu2 - I had a similar incident on 517 a few days ago, where the right lane ends near Old Bilby, and was almost driven off the road. What's up with these truck drivers...a deadline or a quota? I try to stay out of their way, but still seem to have them on my ass. Good thing the roads were dry. If slippery, it could be life threatening.

DannyC DannyC
Mar '17

Oops if you tried to google it BD sorry - it's actually spelled with a 'u.' Here's everything you never wanted to know:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furby

Now you need one, right?

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

And just for the record - my reference is to "Gremlins", most specifically the type that go bad. Because as far as I'm concerned, that's all a Furby is. ;-)

Today those things are even worse than ever - there's an app for that:

https://www.hasbro.com/en-us/brands/furby

A Furby controlled by an app? Now we all need one. Sugar would love that.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

thx Rebecca, now I know and no, i dont think i 'need' one of these

BrotherDog BrotherDog
Mar '17

My iphone which I've had for maybe a month has started freezing up. How much did I pay for this thing? So annoying. Is it me or did the iphones used to be more reliable? My first ones were bulletproof.

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

The Apple firmware is fine; it's the NSA firmware that's buggy ;-)

Kidding aside, I'm not thrilled with the iPhone either. I've stuck with it because I have a few apple apps but I think my next go round I'll try an Android on for size...

justintime justintime
Mar '17

NSA firmware.... LMBO! Well I hope the NSA peeps are enjoying my 796 bunny pics and my eBay searches for "Victorian slide charm bracelet." That's about as interesting as my phone life would be to them! I have thought about switching phone types with my next one, too. There was one with a curved screen in the VZW store that was to-die-for beautiful. Wish I had gotten that one...

Rebecka Rebecka
Mar '17

OMG, if this is real, stop the world I'm getting off.

http://deadspin.com/teen-girls-are-now-having-hobbyhorse-competitions-and-t-1793785640

Roywhite Roywhite
Mar '17

Hypocrites. Hypocrites. Hypocrites.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Mar '17

Omg! Really????

Mar '17

I remember doing this with my mother's broom when i was young. Who knew i was an athlete?

Mar '17

So sad :(

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-31/japan-whaling-fleet-kills-333-minke-whales-southern-ocean-hunt/8405690

maja2 maja2
Apr '17

And they do it under the guise of research- really makes me angry - I don't understand why us doesn't push to sanction them through the UN

skippy skippy
Apr '17

It is a cultural thing with the Japanese. I am 100% against such whale killings.

We have many other ills in this world due to a person or group having a point of view, whether backed by religion or not, that is contrary to many others and often logic.

So very wrong . Criminal thoughtless act.

A good day
Apr '17

I have to vent about my next door neighbors...when we moved into a half duplex and asked about our neighbors we were told it was a single mom, her daughter, and one dog... actually it's two children who scream CONSTANTLY, the mother who screams and curses at the children all day and calls them horrible names, a pit bull that barks all day, and four cats that they keep locked in the basement that are not cleaned up after to the point where I can't use my (separate) half of the basement because the smell will knock you over. We are trying to get out of the lease but there doesn't seem to be "enough cause" to do so... so I am counting the days until the end... only eight months to go...

Katherine Katherine
Apr '17

Ugh Katherine - when we lived in a duplex rental, it sucked because the neighbor had dog that they would just let run around the yard. The dog was nasty and would come after us. Needless to say we moved right at the one year mark.

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Apr '17

Have you let the landlord know they are destroying the property? Cat urine literally needs to be sanded out of wood

skippy skippy
Apr '17

If this "mother" is yelling profanities and other horrible names at the kids, "all day", my vent is, she's allowed to get away with emotional abuse. Poor kids. I feel bad, for those children. I hope they are emotionally and physically ok.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Apr '17

Skippy - the landlords have addressed it with her twice since we moved in, and to be honest I am having some trouble bringing it up again because I'm slightly terrified of my neighbor and it's pretty obvious who the complaints are coming from. I'm going to talk to them again...just have to buck up the nerve lol.

Sparks - I agree. My husband and I become so upset at the things we hear. I don't know how child protective services respond to emotional abuse since we don't hear any physical abuse and am unsure if we should be contacting someone beyond the landlord about it.

Katherine Katherine
Apr '17

It's the stupid property tax:

We need to remove education funding from property taxes.
Other states have done it and it’s the only thing that will work. Period. But of course the legislature and most governors are deathly afraid of the NJEA and won’t even bring it up. Chubby (Gov. Chris Christie) tried to push back on them and they vilified him every chance they got. I just looked into buying an inexpensive property in one of our cities and just about every property I looked at the property tax was larger that the principle and interest in a perspective mortgage loan. That prices many of our young people right out of the market and then right out of the state. It’s gotten WAY out of hand and to crisis proportions.
Last month we did the story of an elderly woman who lost her home in Lawrenceville — a house that her deceased husband built in 1953 — because she couldn’t afford to pay the taxes to stay in her own home. This happens with regularity here and almost never in other states. A new report shows that New Jersey again, has the highest property tax in the nation for the umpteenth year in a row.
Enough is enough! It’s time for another tax revolt in this state, but I guess most of the people smart enough to realize have either moved out or are part of the gravy train that’s benefiting from it. Then when they retire they won’t dare stay in New Jersey and take their steady pension check and generous benefits and move out of state.

http://nj1015.com/this-is-how-nj-can-finally-lower-property-taxes/?trackback=tsmclip

hadenough
Apr '17

I agree. So tell us how to help.

Apr '17

I read on another article that there was talk of directing lottery proceeds towards this

skippy skippy
Apr '17

If you're talking about education funding skippy check out the pie chart on this page:

https://www.njlottery.com/en-us/givingback/overview.html

Because "education" headlines the pie portion I assume it must already get a big chunk of the lottery money.

justintime justintime
Apr '17

Yeah but the salaries benefits and pensions are not part of that - the article I saw came up when I clicked the link above it's on the 1015 site

http://nj1015.com/will-programs-take-hit-if-pension-funds-take-over-nj-lottery/

skippy skippy
Apr '17

Heavily taxing homeowners is such ancient thinking. People today are not rich because they own a home. This concept that all homeowners are a tower of cash has got to go. Switch to VAT taxing. And how many public pension takers move elsewhere to save on taxes! For one, they should only have emergency retiree healthcare coverage outside of NJ.

Point is too many scams going on in this world, criticize and you are an "anti" whatever...

Here's another, NJ has collected a fee on every phone line (cell and home lines) since 2004. They have collected 1.37 billion but have only used 211 million for 911 services. This was supposed to be dedicated but as usual it is raided to fill budget gaps. Another classic bait and switch.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2016/10/rescue_911_how_nj_used_11b_of_your_money_on_everyt.html

kb2755 kb2755
Apr '17

If they used the remainder for property tax relief I would have no issues :)

Again: NJ total tax burden is about seventh in the nation and if we changed the property tax, that would probably not change. Nor perhaps should it except for shaving where shaving is due.

However, NJ Property tax is highest in the nation and unfairly targets those with less income like the unemployed and seniors. Worse yet, being uncompetitive in property tax means those who are more mobile, like seniors, will migrate to more competitive states of which there are 49.

How we fund education is a red herring. We can use property tax, general funds, or whatever we like. Personally, if most cases I find dedicating taxes to a specific cause merely takes the responsibility away from the people you hired to have that responsibility. So while I was for it in the recent transportation fu-fa-ra, over time that will become so stupid and to be changed quickly.

To me the priorities are:

- lower the reliance on property tax to competitive levels with other state. Hint: find the state everyone is going to and use that rate.....

- lower total taxes where possible. A much tougher act.

Apr '17

Don't freakin tap your horn at me when I'm waiting at a red light to turn right if there is a car coming. Dingle

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '17

LOL!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Apr '17

beep

skippy skippy
Apr '17

And day's rant- call a customer service #, you wait patiently until you are the first in the queue....then it tells you to leave your name, number and the best time to reach you. Uh, how about now, when I'm waiting on the phone....

Blackcat Blackcat
Apr '17

Accidentally won a not inexpensive eBay auction item. >{ ugh....

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

why did you bid?

The Man The Man
Apr '17

Rebecka.........Funny and true story. I had ebay up on the computer and was working around the area......my 4 year old decided he needed to order me something. I could not believe he managed to go to a buy it now auction, hit buy it now AND confirm it! I know he did NOT know what he was doing......he couldnt, but sure enough he bought a camera case. THANK god it was NOT one of the sellers cameras!

Im sure sellers here everything when a buyer wants to cancel, so I did tell him the story along with my 10 dollar payment. I still have the camera case.......10 years later, AND a cute story to go with it.

He is still so proud he bought mama a gift. lolol

littlelu littlelu
Apr '17

Also..THE MAN.........In haste I have bid AND even confirmed a "mistake bid". Like instead of 2.53.......253.00! It's really stupid and not easy to do........but at the end of an auction when im over excited, it happens........then it just takes a snipe bid or two within the last seconds and your done! You can't delete a bid after a certain time when its close to the end......

It can happen, but I am the only one to blame in a case like that. :( lol

littlelu littlelu
Apr '17

littlelu - many years ago when PCs had DOS and large floppy disks my daughter (also about 3-4 years old, definitely not older) decided to play her game without asking me or my husband to help her - just like a really independent big girl. As some of you might remember to get to a point where game should load you had to go thru quite a few prompts after PC started. Whatever she was answering we still don't know but she was able completely remove system files and reformat hard drive by just simply clicking on a screen prompts. She even couldn't read yet (except "yes" and "no"). She is still very independence young lady but she reads everything before signing any papers and hit "enter" key.

Littlelu - love the story! At least he didn't buy something too expensive. DH once left a live auction page open to a private auctioneer house in Germany. A cat was in his office, and DH left the room. The cat managed to bid something like 77777... billion trillion dollars on an antique watch. Needless to say, that was more than the cat could afford... the back-and-forth between DH and the Germans was priceless.

@The Man - because my watch list was full. Placed a bid to monitor the auction. I think you might have to be a very heavy eBay user (as I am) to understand how that can happen lol.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

Omg Lena! Too funny. (In retrospect for you too, hopefully - probably not funny at the time!)

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

Lena......Im tellin ya, those little ones are all smarter then we, or at least I think at times. lol

Love your story.

littlelu littlelu
Apr '17

We learned the lesson - create backup of everything and our PC always had partition (until times when computer systems got different user accounts).

So even though my place is in Hackettstown, says Hackettstown on my license, and is a five minute drive from the place, I'm *too close* to Mansfield to be allowed a Hackettstown library card. Instead I have to take the fifteen minute drive out to the Warren Library on 46...which is very much neither Hackettstown nor Mansfield.

Michelle Michelle
Apr '17

Someone had explained that once - I don't think Mansfield contributes to the Hackettsown library - they send those funds to the Warren county library system. Not saying it's equitable by any means but I believe the reason is funding

skippy skippy
Apr '17

Michelle, it's very strange.
As per Warren County library website :
"Open Borrowing is a reciprocal borrowing program for library users to borrow in-person from public libraries across northern New Jersey."
http://www.warrenlib.org/node/1672#.WPD_QfkrJR0

I always thought that you can use your library card at any library in your county but looks like it's ANY public library now.

The library situation has been discussed quite a few times actually. Skippy is right about how they are funded - township by township tax. Just like schools. Your mailing address is only about which post office delivers your mail. It does not indicate which township you live in. If you live in either Independence or Mansfield, then yes they participate in the Warren County library system. The closest Warren County library is the one in Independence.

Hackettstown has its own separate library outside the county network. To make it even more complex, while all the Warren county libraries share among themselves, Hackettstown's library has bought into 'MAIN', the Morris County library system. With a Hackettstown card you can go and borrow at any of the libraries in Morris County and a few other places.

If you pay taxes in Hackettstown, then you can use the Church St library to borrow.
Anyone can use it, as in using the computers or just sitting and reading. Anyone can also use the copy machine.
If you pay taxes in Mansfield, then you can't use it to borrow. Go to the new one on Rt 46. Its a 5 minute ride. Not 15!

Apr '17

Beautiful afternoon and suddenly... the power goes out. So annoying. Would rather not eat Easter dinner to the tune of the generator, JCP&L. >\

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

That's terrible. They have not dispatched yet and claim 4pm but that's machine talk. Give em an hour to queue it up ---- hopefully gets better.

Apr '17

I don't know if I'm on the right thread for this.. I was crossing Main Street with my baby in the stroller and a car yielded and waved me across. There was no one coming in the other direction so I started to cross. The car behind the one that had stopped and waved me on started to go around the stopped car and accelerate and then had to slam on the breaks to avoid hitting me and my child in her stroller. What the f*ck is wrong with people? If you're in such a hurry then you need to leave earlier. Obviously there's a reason the person in front of you has stopped!

Hackettstowny Hackettstowny
Apr '17

I've seen the same thing by the Middle School and emailed the police of the situation that seems to be a common occurrence. There was a police car there for a few days.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '17

Waiting for the A/C tech guys. For the past couple hours.

Why does this feel like waiting for Godot...

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

Hackettstowny, were you in a crosswalk? If you were not, then the second driver probably did not know why the first car stopped in the middle of the road. People do it all the time, or stop to turn without using a turn signal. I especially hate when drivers yield THEIR right of way when they are not required to.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '17

I always stop to let cars go where it's very difficult to get out, for example: getting from E or W Plane St. onto Main St. You can wait there forever. So I yield my right of way on Main and let the poor souls out. ;-) Takes 10 seconds and it's the civil thing to do. But civility seems like a lost concept these days.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

I get that Rebecka, when it's safe to do so, but the place where it happens to me, the yielding car is turning but allows cars to turn in front of them first, so those new cars are now in front of me, and inevitably, one of them will be the slow poke Jones that I end up stuck behind for the entirety of my trip.

Tracy Tracy
Apr '17

Htowney- same exact thing happened to a friend of mine, right at Main St and Church. Idiot drivers!

Watch out for rentals in real estate from yaya. Scam!!!

Apr '17

Picking something out of the "For Sale" pile is *NOT* "rescuing" it.....

Would someone/anyone please tell me why the HHS Varsity baseball thread was removed? The boys had a big win tonight and there is no place to post it.
I know there were petty indifferences but is that justification to remove it?

Omar Moreno Omar Moreno
Apr '17

Proven right yesterday! I love being right!

Metsman Metsman
Apr '17

Omar you should start a new thread. People probably won't like Andy's article about the High Point game because he said there were fielding miscues. We can't be saying stuff like that right... LOL

Metsman Metsman
Apr '17

posts that represent either delusions or outright pinocchio tales

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '17

Must be talking about your own posts then 4catmom. I only post facts. Read the boxscore...

http://highschoolsports.nj.com/game/score/4174723/

I don't need to say anything else. Point proven.

Metsman Metsman
Apr '17

No more venting:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4432870/The-life-conjoined-twins-refuse-separated.html

Very true, iJay!

Apr '17

mine was not a political commentary - not about you metsman and company

4catmom 4catmom
Apr '17

PA drivers should be banned from driving. At first I was thinking just the left lane, after this weekend, back to horse and buggy for you.

Why are almost all diesel pickups owned by children who NEVER use them for their intended purposes. I have been looking for a clean used truck as I have heavy trailers and other things I'd like to get into but would prefer a diesel over gas. You can't touch them for what their "fair" market price should be. 3/4 of them have holes cut in the bed for stacks...................

Cop crack down the last two weeks. The number of people on my hour commute pulled over has significantly increased in the last two weeks. My wife got pulled yesterday for a headlight bulb. Headlight bulbs weren't out. I even hit the lights when she got home to see if they were loose/ on their way out. Nothing.

younggen younggen
Apr '17

I asked a family friend who repairs tractors if he could check out our tractor which might need a small servicing. I explained what I am pretty sure the issue is. He asked for my DH to call him back. I'm actually the one who uses the tractor to mow the fields, etc. around here. In fact, I do most all of the groundskeeping. DH is never on the tractor. Kind of insulted. :-(

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

Ok no longer insulted. He called me back and was surprised that I was the "tractor person" but seemed fine to deal with a female regarding an engine lol.

Never make assumptions based on gender. Just because one likes wearing heels and nail polish doesn't mean one is incompetent with farm equipment. ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

Good story !

skippy skippy
Apr '17

Seen it more then once. Some people work under the table, open their wallets and all you see are 100 dollar bills. But then they rip out their EBT card and pay for their items.
WTH!!!

Apr '17

I posted a classfied ad and now I can't change it or delete it ugh. I hope nobody is trying to contact me either cause, I did that to try and get a link to update and received no emails. Frustrating that this page doesn't send a link to update your classified when you first make it.

Sunshine Sunshine
Apr '17

Maybe a mod can help

skippy skippy
Apr '17

Sunshine, when you go into your classifed, doesn't it say Edit this Classified in blue in the middle of the ad. I just went into mine and was able to do it, but when clicking on someones ad, that doesn't appear.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '17

No Bessie, I must have cleared out my cookies. It did it at first but no longer :(

Sunshine Sunshine
Apr '17

I take my vent back lol. When I filled in the contact me, like it said under help, my phone wasn't showing any emails even under junk email. Just logged into email on pc and I have a bunch of emails in my junk folder. Ooops lol

Sunshine Sunshine
Apr '17

I also see you can edit or delete from the original email confirmation you received.

Bessie Bessie
Apr '17

That was in my junk too Bessie lol. It has been a long week. I checked on my phone but nothing, my computer whole different story. I think I need a time out or a nap :)

Sunshine Sunshine
Apr '17

The site sees your computer and your phone separately. It will show the "edit your ad" only to the one of the two where the ad was created. Either that or as you were attempting, you need the email for the link that will give you the chance to edit it.

Nothing like a surprise encounter with a 4-ft Copperhead to get your adrenaline pumping.

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

Omg where

skippy skippy
Apr '17

Right in our backyard. On edge of woods near pond. Won't be down by pond without hiking boots on anytime soon!

Rebecka Rebecka
Apr '17

Have not seen a copperhead in a while. Good to know as I hike on that mountain.

A good day
Apr '17

Oh man please be careful

skippy skippy
Apr '17

Tracy, sorry for the late response. I ALWAYS cross in a crosswalk because I have my daughter. This isn't the first time it's happened to me on Main Street but it was by far the closest call. They pulled around the stopped car so fast they were about three feet away from me and my stroller before they slammed on th breaks. I actually thought we were getting hit and started trying to pull the stroller to the side so my body would take the hit. Ridiculous behavior by selfish individuals.

May '17

Tracy, Also, isn't not knowing why the car in front of you has stopped a good reason to proceed with caution? It was only a matter of seconds for me to get to the middle of the road and that was apparently too long to wait. The whole instance happened in less than fifteen seconds and the car that waved me across hadn't pulled to the side and was still in the middle of their lane. It was obvious they were yielding for something/someone and would continue to move. The offending car crossed the middle of the road to fly around and nearly hit us at a ridiculous speed.

May '17

Really, really wish that Greasemonkey was available for the iPhone :-(

justintime justintime
May '17

https://greasepocket.wordpress.com/

Seek and Ye shall find

skippy skippy
May '17

Thanks Skippy, that post was from 2008 and afaik there was never any followup, so there's still nothing that I can find...

justintime justintime
May '17

yeah and its not script compatable

skippy skippy
May '17

Anyone considering getting a dog should take 6-8 leisurely walks outside today lol. Today is not going to be fun...

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Rebecka, I love my totes clear bubble umbrella. It won't keep my feet dry, but good from the waist up. Plus the strongest wind has not troubled it! And I can see where I am walking.

maja2 maja2
May '17

I can't take many more morons like this one: http://nymag.com/thecut/2017/05/alaska-david-eastman-abortions-for-free-trip.html

4catmom 4catmom
May '17

Will check that out, maja, thanks!

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Rebecka, you finally found an animal you didn't want to bring home? Your husband must be breathing a sigh of relief, lol.

ianimal ianimal
May '17

Actually that hasn't happened yet, Ian lol. (Been out walking the dogs four times already.) On the bright side - all this rain has quashed the pollen! So happy to actually be breathing through my nose today. What a novelty.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

The 4-foot copperhead? Have you added him to the menagerie?

ianimal ianimal
May '17

Omg 4catmom that's sickening!

positive positive
May '17

Oh THAT animal lol! No, he can stay in the forest. And hopefully migrate down the hill to the neighbors...

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Hate when you start a thread and then its closed because its similar to another thread already started, but when you search for it, it's no where to be found. Ugh!

May '17

5 days and no venting. Pretty good! Lol!

Why do some people answer your post for something you are selling, want to set up a time to meet and then totally STOP communicating?? If you're not interested anymore, just say it!!! I just don't get it!! SO FRUSTRATING!!

May '17

What's worse is people on freecycle who agree to take your item for free and never show.

Roywhite Roywhite
May '17

Ok here goes my vent. I lost my Drivers license. "No" not from drunkenness. Traced all my steps. No luck. Ripped car, house, jacket and purse apart. No luck. Never happened to me before. I hope it won't be a pita at motor vehicle getting a duplicate. Dam.

auntiel auntiel
May '17

Bring your 6 points of ID

skippy skippy
May '17

auntiel, I'm sure you've gone over this, but where do you usually keep your license? Did you take it out for some reason, and where? I rarely need to remove my license from my wallet, so it would have to be a somewhat memorable reason why. For example, I bought Sudafed the other day, and had to show my license to the pharmacist.

Sorry, hope it turns up. Go on the MVC website and you should be able to figure out your "6 points" of identification needed to replace it, if necessary.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/LostStolen.htm

Tracy Tracy
May '17

As my father said: it will turn up in the last place you look :>)

Good luck and try thinking about it just before you shut your eyes tonight. May be able to put your dreams to good use. Has worked for me. Might take the week end....

May '17

auntiel - I feel really sorry for you. My daughter lost her wallet a few years ago while coming for holidays from DC. I think she had to report to police as stolen or lost otherwise she couldn't just get a duplicate. Check website if you have to do so before getting in line at MVC. It WAS painful - line, photo,and of course you must sign on a small horribly positioned screen the way you will remember for as long as you have your license (sometimes you will produce your licence as a proof of your signature). Go to Washington, not Randolph, regardless what is closer.

I'm hoping that if you dropped it someone will mail it back - the post office returns them if dropped in a mailbox

skippy skippy
May '17

Found it! What a nerve racking thing to happen. No drivers license, no work for me. Tracy- I never take it out of my wallet, but on Thursday the bank needed to see it so I could deposit money into my own account. Stupid bank. I do remember taking it back. Because of being in a hurry I put it in a little cubby on the console. Dummy me. Then I went to gas station, never got out of car. Then to my job, out of car. Then to Quick Check, and again out of car. I checked with all those places that I was out of vehicle, no luck. The whole time I had a gut feeling it was in that vehicle and fell through a stupid slot in the console. On Friday night I had my hubby remove the console under the dash and sure enough there it was. Lena- After reading your post I was sick of the thought I would have to go through that nightmare. I'm glad I didn't. Lesson learned, the guy behind me at bank will have to wait 2 seconds. Sorry dude.

auntiel auntiel
May '17

Nice !

skippy skippy
May '17

Really nice!!

Glad to hear it, auntiel. What a relief.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

The godaddy website. Possibly the most frustrating experience I have on the internet... every single time I use it. Been trying to set up a *simple* website for hours now. If there were a cliff nearby I might contemplate jumping off it.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

I see lots of headlines in my newsfeed that I want to READ. I don't want to watch a damn video about it. What is with that? Sheesh.

RAS
AGREE!

wbeleno wbeleno
May '17

Had to post here- varsity baseball thread removed because of difference of opinion.
States start today and the boys will be at home. Hope to see all you supporters out there cheering them on. Somehow I feel that won't be the case.
Go Tigers!

Omar Moreno Omar Moreno
May '17

Just as I thought, not a big turn out. All talk.

Tigers win!!! Great Tiger team effort boys!!!

Omar Moreno Omar Moreno
May '17

I cannot stand people who throw their filthy burning cigarettes out of moving car windows. Disgusting and dangerous.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

i can't wait to be able to afford to move

CMG, I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time in this area. It's not fair. People are so clueless. I hope you know that there are good people in this area, I hope more than not, that aren't racist and intolerant.

Tracy Tracy
May '17

To the woman "Diane" in the small red 200 series Mercedes driving on Waterloo Road. What a class act. I gather you learned those hand gestures in finishing school.

@Tracy

thank you and yes I do - i am very lucky for the few families that have shown me they aren't like "everyone else" if you know what i mean.....there are plenty of good, just the situations that are occurring outweigh it......literally something every day i dont get it....but we will be fine, we smile and nod and live our lives

thank you again Tracy

Hey don't be like "everyone else" come out to Rutherford and support the Tigers baseball team.
Honorable mention goes out to "Arc" for his booming home run yesterday!
Congrats to Jake Hall for being selected to the high school all-star team. Only two players have ever been chosen to represent the Tigers.

Omar Moreno Omar Moreno
May '17

nice

my children are heavily into tigers sports, good luck baseball!

Omar - continue to post there are people who care. My husband was at the game - our kids are grown - we will always support tigers baseball and overall htown sports programs.

htownnewbie htownnewbie
May '17

60-something's shouldn't be Depeche Mode groupies trying to follow the band around Europe...

and definitely should not throw their panties on stage

skippy skippy
May '17

Still a U2 fan from 79 and follow their shows.
Thanks for getting back to me GC.

Omar Moreno Omar Moreno
May '17

.. OR attend EDM events.....

htownnewbie htownnewbie
May '17

Tracy

Throwing burning ciggies out the window is illegal per Title 39:

:39:4-64. Highway littering ban
39:4-64. a. No person shall throw or drop any bundle, object, article or debris of any nature from a vehicle whether in motion or not when such vehicle is on a highway. The words "object, article or debris of any nature" as used in this section shall be deemed to include a cigarette, cigar, match, or ashes, or any substance or thing in and of itself likely to cause or fuel a fire, but such inclusion shall not be deemed to in any way limit the generality of the words "object, article or debris of any nature." Any person who violates this section shall be subject to a fine of not less than $200 or more than $1,000 for each offense."

A "lit cigarette" used to be in a separate line from littering itself, but it looks as though they merged them at some point in time from the 80's when my old hard copy was issued, here's a link to the NJ statutes webpage:

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/nxt/gateway.dll?f=templates&fn=default.htm&vid=Publish:10.1048/Enu

CMG

I'm also sorry you and your family have experienced intolerance & racism in the area. Unfortunately, it often rears its head no matter where you go, because sadly, if there are people, there will be prejudices, based on lack of knowledge, understanding, sterotypes, mis-education, etc. It's usually best to find those with whom you get along well and pity the "haters" for their ignorance. Sometimes people will come around through getting to know you personally and later be some of your largest champion(s), but sometimes it also doesn't work out and the best you can do is just try to avoid contact with those for whom there seems to be no hope. Best of luck!

htownnewbie

Wow, I was listening to the beginnings of EDM, etc. before many now listening to it were born, does that mean I should limit what events I attend, based on the fact that I'm to "old" to listen to it and have fun? I would never say that someone young should stay out of a Hendrix tribute show. Music is universal and one of the few things that bring together people of all ages and ethnicities just to enjoy it. By the way, the famous compelling & iconic bit of electronica that's known as the "Dr. Who" theme music dates back to 1963:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who_theme_music

I happen to LOVE EDM, among so many other genres and I often have my TV tuned to Cablevision's channel 852 if not actively watching a TV program just to listen. Just because I wouldn't be there to be drunk or get Mollyed up shouldn't exclude me, as long as I'm not trying to impinge on people's good times! I have a much younger friend who's somewhat of an expert in 80's electronica and Goth culture (as well as a EDJ) who experiences the reverse issue, agists who say she can't be into that, nor play it because she's too "young". It's not fair either way.

That's one reason why I liked to go to ska shows when they were around. There were characters such as "Skankin' Richard" and "Ska Mom" who attended the shows. Richard was an older gent who'd sometimes dance around, but was mainly there to enjoy the tunes, whereas "Ska Mom" went with her daughter to a few shows when her daughter was quite young to make sure of her (and her friends' safety), then stayed because the music was fun and everyone had a great time. She ended up being called that because she watched out for all the kids there and they also knew that if they needed advice they could come to her. I was there for the music and the great vibes. Everyone having a great time, no judgements on people's creed, color, age, etc.

Just as long as people keep some semblance of decorum, I don't care who is at a show I attend. It's better to have everyone getting along well and having a great time than the alternative, eh? The aging Depeche Mode groupies, I can't really say much about, besides the fact that I'm not one. What do they call themselves I wonder "Modal-heads" (?), like the famous Deadheads of yore? By the way, even Tom Jones thinks the panty-throwing thing is overplayed and should be "over". That speaks to the "decorum" thing y'all.

Phil D. Phil D.
May '17

Phil d - fantastic!

htownnewbie htownnewbie
May '17

Phil D - In this case what they called themselves is "60 something groupies who shouldn't be following the band around Europe". You just kind of had to be stuck on the Hungarian border in a train just sitting there and even the police didn't know why it just all of a sudden stopped. Then we inched from the border to Budapest coming to a complete stop a few times. That phrase is what they said which is why I repeated it. Sorry to any who thought that was some kind of dig at what ever music you like, or an age related thing. It was really just about the experience.

Phil D

Thank you very much for your words

Progressives. Holy cow I feel like I am looking through one of those warped mirrors at a fair. Anyone with experience with these glasses -- how long does it take to get used to them?

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

Rebecka,

i would say like a week :-/

Ha! I thought you were reffering to the political group, "progressives," Rebecka!

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
May '17

be careful on stairs! objects may be closer than they appear lol

skippy skippy
May '17

Lol... well hopefully I won't be crosseyed by the time I get used to them.

Rebecka Rebecka
May '17

na, just maybe a headache or two lol they arent fun i know

It took a few days for me. I will say looking down at the correct angle when going down stairs took some getting used to.

yahoo.com's news headlines. sounds like they are all written by teenagers. Saw this gem today: "Pope Francis just threw some serious papal shade at Donald Trump"

Really Yahoo? I'm sorry but that is not only dumb but also plain wrong. Pope Francis doesn't 'throw shade' at anyone. Good grief.

The below are all from Yahoo's front page today. Anti-Trump agenda? lol

*Trump shoves Montenegro Prime Minister aside.
*Pope Francis Wasn't Shy About Sharing His Climate-Change Message With Trump
*Pope Francis just threw some serious papal shade at Donald Trump
*Trump and Pope Have Little in Common as They Meet in Vatican
*J.K. Rowling Calls Trump A ‘Tiny, Little Man’ After He Shoves A PM
*Trump gave a speech to NATO leaders, but it's what he left out that got their attention
*Trump Uses NATO Unity Ceremony To Bash European Allies On Military Spending
*Why Trump's Prime Minister shove pleased Putin (opinion)
*Donald Trump appears to shove world leader out of the way at Nato summit
*WATCH: Confused 5-Year-Old Wants to Know Where Barack Obama Went
*Former White House Photographer Trolling Trump With Pictures of the Obamas Holding Hands
*Obama Takes a Shot at Trump in Berlin: 'We Can't Hide Behind a Wall'
*Well, Trump Sure Looks Like He's Making Friends At The NATO Summit
*Trump's Hands Are No Match For Emmanuel Macron's Shake
*Leaders Appear to Snicker as Trump Calls on NATO Allies to Pay Their 'Fair Share'
*Trump meets wary NATO and EU in 'hellhole' Brussels
*Donald Trump's Meeting With Pope Francis Was Full Of Awkward Moments

Scottso Scottso
May '17

Anti-Trump? Or Accurate-Trump? Maybe they are collectively saying: "Hey, Donald, here's a clue...."

I mean he did all that stuff and many came away with just those thoughts as Trump visited a place he called a "hellhole." I mean he did appear shove the Montenegro Prime Minister aside, he did get a raft of climate control messaging from the Pope, he did probably the least-supportive NATO speech of any American President chastising over payments during what is traditionally an "atta-folks" speech. The best I saw was the headline affirming that at least Trump showed up....and in the case of "dump NATO," "NATO fixed," Trump conclusions, the face he even showed up may be the most positive optic in the whole affair.

But yes, I would like to return to the days when news was dry and factual and when you knew up front, in your face, whether you were in Opinion or News mode. Cable should be ashamed --- both sides.

May '17

lol Scottso, for many years I had Yahoo as my main page and I pretty much came to the same conclusion as you - Yahoo today is absolutely terrible, the worst possible "news" there is, all emotional-grabbing garbage and presented every way possible to sell a headline.

So run. Run as fast as you can from Yahoo and never look back!!!!

justintime justintime
May '17

Coming down Rt57 there was a small car, pick up truck then me. Small car going 35 mph in the 50. As we approach the traffic light at Mansfield school, it turns yellow and the small car floors it and flies threw it, leaving the pick up and me behind. Ok,good! Light turns green and we go. Somehow we end up behind the small car, doing 35 again.
Putt, putt! As we approach Heiser Rd, a tractor trailer had just pulled out so we all slow to about 5 mph. The small car decides tractor trailer is going too slow, I guess, (ironic) and speeds around it, on solid double lines. Now he's in front of tractor trailer, doing friggin 35 mph again. WTF is wrong with some people????

Jun '17

I seem to be dealing with quite a few "bleachable moments" these days.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '17

I called about a CC that I've been paying online for years! For some reason the site wouldn't let me log on. Woman says can only discuss account with primary card holder. Even though we both have cards. I'm not the primary.
BUT she can take a payment from me! WTH!!!!

Jun '17

Just had a lovely conversation with bank by phone. My husband told me that our CD account that matures soon is not showing on line anymore. Apparently this account became dormant a couple of weeks ago because of inactivity for 36 months. During this time account was assigned new number because old bank was bought over, it rolled over (13-month CD) twice, we received letters from bank regarding roll-overs (advising we don't need to do anything if we don't want to change terms), still bank considers that there is no activity - from us. We didn't receive a letter warning us about account going to be dormant (required by NJ law), nothing. Representative will send us a notice now. And charge the fee. Lovely. I am so tired of dealing with all nonsense from this new bank....

Dog and I out for a walk and just got charged by a little groundhog with a big attitude. Seriously, like a 3lb varmit rushing and growling at us! WTH.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '17

It might have rabies. I remember one did that to my dad when I was a kid. He beat it to death with a baseball bat.

Metsman Metsman
Jun '17

Or she could have been protecting her babies nearby.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '17

I think it may have been too young for babies (it was quite small), but not sure. Suspect diseased. In any case, the animal's desired result was achieved -- we got the heck away as quickly as we could!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '17

When you have to send a preemptive email to your European friends who are visiting in a few weeks: please don't ask us to explain our President. We don't understand either.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jun '17

Lol Rebecka! No one can explain him, not even his own wife!

positive positive
Jun '17

How can something be reduced by 25% and still be called "Family Size"? What did you think it was before, "Herd of Water Buffalo Size?

They must figure one of those darn teens moved out to college lol

littlelu littlelu
Jun '17

Oh boy do i need to vent,,,,,,,,whether I'm right or wrong...

my niece is having a baby and on more then one occasion I asked my Aunt to keep me in mind as I would love to go.

Few days ago I see all these lovely pics from her baby shower........wow news to me.

My mother forwarded a letter from another Aunt,(grandma to bes sister) saying she fell that our family has had so much death lately she didnt feel it was appropriate to send invites to a show....also the family is so far away.

OK FIRST rant, who the hell wouldn't want a chance to get the family together for such a wonderful occasion......AND SECOND,,,she's in phillipsburg...Im hackettsown, on sister is in Denville and one is in PA probably closer to her then I. There are two remaining siblings of hers, one in Florida but that a brother, and lets face it most of the time baby showers are full of hens, and one sister in MASS. I guarentee you everyone would have come, except Florida........Mass sister has more money then she knows what to do with but come on everyone else is close.

I guess I'm hurt i wasnt asked after reminding her twice to think of me when a shower happened.........and in my opinions..........she an ass!

But she does tell us that we are more then welcome to think of the baby once he gets her and proceeds to send us their address...........Well today I'm not sending a dam thing.....might change but I'm hot right now!

Only other time I got this nuts over an "invite" is when my sister puts a little poem about please when your getting our wedding gift, please only give cash......FU!

See Im not happy thing morning.....but I do have a smile on my face now....

littlelu littlelu
Jun '17

one more note.....then I'll leave you alone.The deaths were her mother almost 4 years ago and she was well into her 90's. Second was a brother who was around 70 and the other brother was closer to 76.

Now Death is sad, know matter the age, but what better and nicer way for a visit with your family.........if they choose not to have one fine, but to have one and invite everyone BUT family....hurts. sorry signing off. lol

littlelu littlelu
Jun '17

That's terrible littlelu. Sounds like their story was just an excuse to not invite family. Weird to say the least but I don't know the family dynamics. In any case I'm sorry they did that to you.

Give the gift littlelu, life is too short to shut down over this. Just prepare yourself for it to happen again, perhaps reach out to others in the family to get the invites, and move beyond this turd. Because too far was a stupid thing to say.

NOTE: this comes from a guy who has written off most family. Yet I still am in contact through my sibling who is "keeper of the memories...." and is willing to put up with their sh..... stuff. That's why I say if you can do it through others, move on and forget sticking this turd by not giving the kid a gift.

Jun '17

I enjoy this local place however I'm disturbed that the flag is allowed to lay in the soil. I find it disrespectful, unamerican and actually against the law.

And yes, I made my thoughts known to the establishment.

It's also backwards. The blue field should be in the upper left when flown like that.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Jun '17

Dear Fedex,
Thanks for putting a 100-lb tower of Chewy boxes up against my front storm door. I enjoy going downstairs, out the back door, and climbing like a mountain goat up the hill to get to them.
>(

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Hey thanks to the party on grand avenue around the corner from our house in which the party goers left beer bottles and garbage on my lawn I encourage you to ring my door bell today. And to the teen who drove up on our curb. Nice.

Just can't stand pitch-men, especially those with British or Australian accents.

DannyC DannyC
Jul '17

I wish we had a thread called "stupid questions we need answers to" because I have one.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Whatcha got

skippy skippy
Jul '17

I've no patience and zero tolerance for people who talk out of their a**!

Guess that's a sign of getting old. Just can't deal with the nonsense.

Rebecka, no question is stupid. What's stupid is when someone thinks they know everything. Any knowledge or wisdom they may have lays dormant with that type of mentality.

Question away..lol

positive positive
Jul '17

Omg ok but I'm telling you it's like 5th-grade math (which I've forgotten).

I have a recipe that calls for an 8x8" square baking pan. I don't have one. I do have an 8-inch *round* pan. Is that the same surface area and volume as the 8" square one?? (They are both 1" high, which the recipe calls for.)

-Pi-challenged

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

I'm not good with math either, but since I cook a lot I don't think it would make a significant difference. What are you trying to bake?

positive positive
Jul '17

It's actually a candy-type thing like fudge, not something that is baked, but that needs to chill in a baking dish.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

The difference is 50 vs 64 square inches. Not a significant difference?

DannyC DannyC
Jul '17

Rebecka

Nope, sorry, but your 8"x8" square pan holds more then an 8" round. It's closer to a 9" round pan's volume, so your cake would be thinner.

Try using this search and pick whichever website you prefer to get the equivalents:

https://www.google.com/search?q=8x8%22+square&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiBg6OrmPPUAhWMGT4KHfWQAkkQvwUIJSgA#q=8%22x8%22+square+vs+8%22+round+pan

Best of luck. I'd write the volume formulas out for you, but who wants that. I think the "Joy of Baking website does it for you.

Not a stupid question at all!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

Rebecka, the area of the square dish is 8x8, or 64 sq in.
The area of the round pan is pi*diameter squared divided by four: 3.14*8*8/4 or about 69 sq in.

Close enough for government work???

justintime justintime
Jul '17

It's actually much smaller in terms of surface area. About 50.3" as opposed to 64".

http://www.calculateme.com/cArea/AreaOfCircle.htm

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jul '17

Ah chilling, not a cake baking. It should chill faster, since more surface area on the top and bottom would be exposed to the cooling and you have less thickness to chill.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

Thank you all! :-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Good luck Rebecka, sorry I wasn't able to help. Thank goodness for Phil.

Let us know how it turns out.

positive positive
Jul '17

Ok, if tge 8+8 is the 64, I think its add some time for thicker cake, around 15% more I think, for less space; have toothpicks ready.

Really should be 25% more but its not linear.

Sometimes the recipes spec times for different pans and u might find one closer to the 50.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jul '17

justintime

I don't know where you got your formula from, but DannyC is correct.

The area of a circle is pi x radius squared = 3.14 x 16 = 50.24" or close to that as compared to 64" for the square pan. The square pan is about 25% larger in surface area.

I don't know where you came up with the divided by 4 either, lol.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

Phil, radius is diameter/2 so squaring the radius is the same as squaring d/2, and 2 squared is 4. In this case the radius is 4, not 8...

justintime justintime
Jul '17

Rebecka, I have had the same experience with Chewy boxes. Unfortunately I do not have a back door so I had to shove the boxes with the door to get out. Fun.

Bizzy
Jul '17

Sorry justintime, but while your method looks as though it would get the same answer. apparently you did something wrong in your calculation in order to get that 69" result.

It's so much easier to divide the 8" diameter by 2 first to get the 4" radius(that is if you even need to do the math to figure that out), then square it (4) only, yielding 16. 16 x pi (3.14159...) equals about 50.27 square inches, not 69".

If you take the round 8" pan and lay it on the 8" square pan, it's obvious which one is larger (the square one) and you show the round one at 69" to be about 5 square inches larger than the square one. Sorry, but it just isn't so.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

lol Phil, sorry for any confusion regarding my hitting the wrong number on my calculator. We're saying the same thing...

justintime justintime
Jul '17

JIT, no, you're not saying the same thing. You said 69 sq.". It's not. It's 50.3".
You can waffle extravagantly on anything but math. Have a great night!

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jul '17

@positive - the Opera Creams turned out a bit crumbly (as you can see, they didn't cut neatly). However, I don't think I can blame this on the size of the pan lol. They are delicious though!

And I got a useful math refresher-lesson to boot! ;-)

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Oh wow they look amazing!

positive positive
Jul '17

Yummy!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

YF, please reread the posts as it's obvious you're missing some information.

This isn't a pissing contest, or at least no one else was trying to turn it into one.

justintime justintime
Jul '17

Yankeefan who cares..the fudge came out amazing. This isn't about the "battle of the wits" nor political grudges.

positive positive
Jul '17

Playground antics positive - that's all he cares about. Its the belief that it's better to insult others than to read, comprehend and understand what's written. If he did that then he wouldn't have posted in the first place.

Same old same old.

justintime justintime
Jul '17

Bought the 75th anniversary release of Bambi, thinking my kids would love it as much as my wife and I did.... pfft.

They didn't get through five minutes of it before they were no longer paying attention. Same thing happened when we tried to show them Snow White and the Seven Dwarves.

I think a large part of it is how dated the animation is... they've been spoiled by Pixar, Dreamworks and the newer Disney releases. Perhaps it's time for Disney to actually re-make these animated classics and bring them into the modern era. Part of me thinks that is heresy; another part of me thinks that it's better than letting the stories die because today's kids aren't impressed by 1940's animation...

ianimal ianimal
Jul '17

ianimal, my oldest went through a classic Disney phase not too long ago. I think they watched Dumbo at school once and that set it off. Cinderella was one of my favorites so I put that on for her and she was into it. She also frequently asked for Snow White and Sleeping Beauty and Dumbo, even Aristocats. But as with everything, she moved on. Now it's nonstop Moana, Sing, Secret Life of Pets and Trolls. Thankfully they're all very easy to watch. Except I have a constant Moana earworm now.

Tracy Tracy
Jul '17

"Bought the 75th anniversary release of Bambi, thinking my kids would love it as much as my wife and I did.... pfft."

Took kids to NYC, had room over Times Square, ate in revolving dining high above the city, saw some shows, etc. Best part: "escalator."

Took kids to Inner Harbor, Baltimore, had room overlooking Hard Rock Café, did almost private showing for Aquarium, WTC observatory, etc. Best part: "elevator."

Don't get me started on Disneyworld.....

Take your best shot, you never know.

Jul '17

Bear claw scratches on my car this morning. Nice. >\

(And no, I never leave food in it.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

i agree with you ianimal, with all the new cartoons they are used to, my kids gave disney 5 minutes and gave up after

You probably want to call it in to Dept Fish and Wildlife http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/bearactivity_reports.htm

If they get enough reports or higher priority reports they will relocate the bear. Damage reports add priority.

Jul '17

They release problem bears on our property. Not even kidding.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

WHATTTTT rebecka?! thats crazy

It's actually a good place for them. Although the warden told me last week that the State recently purchased a large tract of land (in Sussex county I think he said?) where some will now be going.

And this is my car... one of the claw marks.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

It could have been this guy, Rebecka!!

ROFL!!!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Two hearts animal rescue out of Phillipsburg needs to be shut down. The women that run it mean well but are just out of their element. Thankfully I ended up with a great rescue.

younggen younggen
Jul '17

Younggen, I sent you a pm

positive positive
Jul '17

Younggen....I'm starting to think that most of them do have issues. I went to one recently that always gets rave reviews on here and wasn't happy at all with how they dealt with things.
First I called them about a specific animal that a friend had told me about. I wanted to see if the dog was still available and just get some simple info. Such as if he was neutuerd yet, approx age, good with other dogs. Etc...obviously I know they don't have a history on most animals, but if you are going to put a dog up for adoption someone should be testing him to see if he can be around other pets. After a complete attitude from the woman at the desk she puts me through to another worker. Here are my answers: Yes, he is available, Yes, he is neutuerd, Yes, he is super friendly and can be around other dogs (I have 3 other dogs at home so this one was important) and oh he's about a year to a year and a half. Ok I decide it's worth it for me to take the drive and visit him in person. I get there and they now tell me he is on hold with someone else?? Um didn't I ask that and was told he was available, I see he def is not neutered which is not a deal breaker, but does up the cost and since I already have one unnuetured male in the home it is something to consider. He showed some signs of aggression toward my dog upon first meeting .( I realize some dogs like people just don't get along) but then the worker says to me oh the dogs here are never allowed contact with each other that's the rule. I say well I was specifically told otherwise and it would be a waste of my time to look at a dog that couldn't be around others since I already own 3. Lastly, when asking about prices for adoption I was told it was $100 more for puppies so magically he became 6 mo old all of a sudden when originally they said a year to a year and a half. I felt like they were very disorganized and then they lied to me several times. I also saw dogs put out in pens under direct sunlight for a lengthy period of time and when I questioned it they said ....they are just out there when they are cleaning. Another lie...one of the workers told me that was not true and they have been asking them to get tarps to cover these pens for the dogs for 2 months and they still haven't done it. The worker then stated they are telling people that are coming to view the animals to put in complaints about it...hoping to finally get something done for the dogs.

positive - responded to your message

jrt - Making a very long story short. Was told it was purebred. Obviously isn't purebred. asked for the paperwork can't find the paperwork. adoption fee $500. is the fee negotiable, no its not we have so many other animals to care for. ok not an issue. But you don't understand we just had another animal have 1500 in medical bills. Ok I said it wasn't an issue. So you understand why it isn't negotiable? Yeah I got it the first time. Wasn't spayed (they had the dog in their care for two hours literally, picked it up from the owner forfeiting the animal and brought it to us). Got the animal spayed supposed to get a $50 deposit back. Haven't seen it, don't expect to see it. There were some other issues but this was sticking points.

We also adopted cats years ago and my wife fell for the brother/sister card on the cage. They were also feral. 4 years and they hide at the first sight/sound. We've tried everything to no avail.

I have come to the point where when my wife says so and so has animals I just tell her to bring them home and we will figure it out. I'm getting soft and rather see the animals treated properly while being re-homed. We care for them and adopt them out for free. So the initial sting price of adopting is removed and so they can them pay for shots/spay/neutering.

Lastly, a lot of shelters are volunteer and you get what you pay for. So kids working off community service, most are non-profit but you wander were some of the staff get the money for their cars, others are hoarders disguising it a rescues. Some I have found to be ok but most seem to housewives with nothing else to do.

younggen younggen
Jul '17

When posters are not able to articulate, which just causes misinterpretation and misunderstanding. Just drives me nuts! Of course it's not their fault..not everyone can express themselves through writing. However, as I age my patience is dwindling.

positive positive
Jul '17

You call that patience do you :>)

Jul '17

It's amazing to me how many adults are too lazy to put the carts back at weis. Common courtesy is free people.

Skmykicks Skmykicks
Jul '17

Why is it some people have the need and "nerve" to ask you how much you paid for something that you had done or clothing you are wearing. I wish I had a good reply to these people who are so lacking in good manners...

Joyful Joyful
Jul '17

Joyful

You could just remark "Less than I was willing to, but no more than I had to."

That'll politely leave them both dazed AND confused!

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

SD- your snarkiness is not appreciated...

positive positive
Jul '17

SD - please Be nice to positive she's a great person. That hurt her feelings

skippy skippy
Jul '17

Thank you skippy you didn't have to do that.

It is what it is.

I appreciate it though, your a good friend skip...(:

positive positive
Jul '17

Snary. (Snarky and Sorry) I am sorry. I must have misinterpreted your post therefore misunderstanding what you were attempting to say. Guess that's my fault :>)

Meant to be innocuously funny. Sometimes it's just better not to try to be cute.

I really resonate with what you said, blame it on our education system, and am subject to the same poor communications skills curse mostly because I am lazy. Even more typos from those mis-named smartphones which aren't smart enough to protect my two-finger pecking. Further, I extend this to call centers and service people who seem to forget who is the customer lecturing us on what we did wrong.

Many a time, I have lost patience, entered full rant mode saying: "hey, I don't care what you think, I am the customer, I am not wrong, and here is my feedback. You can do whatever you want with this information to improve or not but you will be quiet and listen for now because I am the customer"

Jul '17

No problem SD, misinterpretation is common on the net..that was basically the point I was trying to make in my initial post.

Thank you for your clarification, I appreciate it. :)

positive positive
Jul '17

Hey, and I didn't even mention you're typo ;-) in you're second entry.

Fyi - extra words do not necessarily clarify things. Trust me.

Jul '17

Thanks for that SD

skippy skippy
Jul '17

What typo SD?

Absolutely agree, extra words do not clarify what someone is trying to express, it's the way the words are written and expressed.

positive positive
Jul '17

To the point (as much as possible). Imagine if you (SD) were Ramana Maharshi and were trying to explain Self-Enquiry?

I know this is a venting thread, but I must say to positive: you're extremely kind! What a rare trait, I wish it were far more common. :-)

justintime justintime
Jul '17

2 vents - first, I'm sorry but if you are out to pick up food for 10, DONT go through the drive-thru.

Second, how come you look in one mirror and you look ok, but look in another (the car visor) and you see all these flaws you didn't see in the other mirror?

Just one of those days!

Jul '17

That'll drive through thing makes me nuts - also have your money ready there and in the supermarket

skippy skippy
Jul '17

Speaking of looking in mirrors, I do not recommend anyone get a high-wattage, full-spectrum, 10x magnifying mirror.

Trust me on this.

(I may never leave the house again.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

I understand having your money ready, but I also remember my very good friend's rule. The "Bilinsky Rule" is to ask yourself if it will matter in 10 years from now. If not, forget it, it's not that important. If you really think it does matter, then see the "Bilinsky 20 year rule". The life lesson is that it really is nothing to lose sleep over. The 45 seconds that having your money ready gives you is nothing compared to the aggravation if you let it get to you. Ha kuna kupungua.

"10x magnifying mirror'

I don't care who you are, that's just wrong. A three inch zit?? No way.

I understand the greater scope of things and taking them in stride - but it's a matter of respect to others behind you - it's within the normal course of human events that at the conclusion of your purchases being tabulated that payment will be expected - it seems that often this shocks some people who begin at that late stage to then engage in financial decision making and the quest for their method of payment - which in my experience is off times a check. This again involves it's own process. Be kind - anticipation and minimizing the delay in processing a payment method is appreciated by all. Doobee a good bee - know how you plan to provide remuneration for goods and services ahead of time and have that prepared.

It's like folks who make 27 transactions in the bank line - this is not the appropriate venue to roll over your CDs, apply for a refinance on your second mortgage nor discuss yield curves on Treasury Bills - go inside the bank

skippy skippy
Jul '17

Ever put something important somewhere SO safe and special that you'll probably never see it again?

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Not to worry. It will be in the last place you look fir it. ;-)

Jul '17

Rebecka

I do that so often it's ridiculous. A title for a car, money, all kinds of things.

Phil D. Phil D.
Jul '17

To the point (as much as possible). Imagine if you (SD) were Ramana Maharshi and were trying to explain Self-Enquiry?

Rebecka - My mom did that today. With her apartment key. It was around her neck. ;-)

I go look for something and forget what it was I was looking for - happens many times a day - actually it happens to both of us - well - he always asks me where his things are - fortunately I usually know where his stuff is - somehow it doesn't work for me.............very annoying

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '17

I know this has come up in the past, and I've mentioned it recently. But still - "Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oHBG3ABUJU

"Nothing got done today, and I'm baffled because I've been busy" ;-)

[And by the way, speaking of cbel - this was her favorite]

Well, I do that with my reading glasses...I frantically look every where and finally discover they are on my head. Lol

positive positive
Jul '17

that vid was based on my life, GC

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '17

Ditto! Love that video.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Love the video..not quite there yet, maybe because I do a check list every day? Still feel discombobulated though...

positive positive
Jul '17

I can't tell you how many times I'm searching for my phone when I'm talking to someone on it!

I, because of an illness I have, have a horrible time with short term memory....so as long as I "hid" something a long time ago I can find it......but forget about stuff I do today! Oh well, it keeps my kids entertained.

littlelu littlelu
Jul '17

Servers not knowing that it's impolite to clear a customer's plate before everyone at the table has finished eating. So annoying.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Yeah iJay, trust me, you had me not doing it at the oxymoronic "to the point." :>)

Rebecka: it's an age old battle of turn versus burn. The impoliteness of it is putting plate pressure on remaining diners to pick up the pace.

Servers want to increase their table turn up to the point where you feel burned. Can't blame em, there's a yuge difference between two and three seating's a night. So even if there are empty tables, the server wants to be empty too.

Within reason (of not ticking you off your tip pace). I am very adept at hand over plate signing to block the grab but how can you do that for others at the table? Have never figured that one out, but usually first to finish and one hand-of-doom usually scares the server who is too young to know what the heck is going on (otherwise there wouldn't have gone for the grab to begin with).

Jul '17

My elderly mother-in-law lives about 3 minutes away from us. Basically my husband and I do everything for her including making dinner and bringing it over to her.

My husband can't eat all day and night until after his colonoscopy tomorrow, which is scheduled at 11:45 (his mother knows this). Out of consideration for him, I decided not to cook for his mother..I didn't want to torture him with the aroma of food cooking on the stove. I decided I'd give her a pot pie.

She went nuts about it and told my husband she doesn't want a pot pie she wants steak!

Well now she's not getting anything and believe me she's capable of preparing something for herself. She has been taking full advantage of us far too long.

positive positive
Jul '17

A++++ POSITIVE.......glad to hear you're sticking up for yourself..............

4catmom 4catmom
Jul '17

Positive, I think the good Lord gave you about 50x more patience than the average human being. (You do realize that, right??) Those around you are very lucky, but sometimes certainly enough is enough!

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Thanks Rebecca, but I feel like I have little patience now than ever. Lol!

Come to find out my supposedly frail mother-in-law made homemade lasagna yesterday..think everyone knows how much work is involved in preparing that..

Need to start wearing a big sign on my back "SUCKER."

positive positive
Jul '17

Did she offer you any lasagna?

Remember fool me once shame on u, fool me twice.....not!

Roywhite Roywhite
Jul '17

Good question Roy. No she didn't offer, not even a taste. I'm in her apartment all the time..she's never offered anything not even a drink of water.

positive positive
Jul '17

Does she at least put your name on the Christmas card she sends to your husband? Mine doesn't.

Courtney
Jul '17

Definition of mixed emotions: Watching your Mother-in-Law drive off a cliff in your new Porsche.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jul '17

No Christmas cards Courtney..this is an uncivilized woman! Lol

YF..now that was funny! LOL

Might just start a thread about mother-in-laws.....

positive positive
Jul '17

Why is there an emoji of an Easter Island Head?
I do not understand.
Someone please tell me you use The Head regularly in your daily text convos.

Rebecka Rebecka
Jul '17

Positive, I'm glad that made you laugh. Humor has the power to help us all see and share our collective humanity. Maybe only music has the same power.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jul '17

Very very true Yf.

positive positive
Jul '17

Just can't help thinking of the movie "Throw Momma From The Train".

positive positive
Jul '17

LOL!

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Jul '17

"Watching your Mother-in-Law drive off a cliff in your new Porsche."

heh, heh. As a kid, I was just starting my "ridealong" with County Police when a girlfriend jumped a green in her boyfriends new Targa as someone else was late on a yellow. Crunch, no one hurt, no fault by either, but a memorable distraction that the police really enjoyed. Somehow I think the marriage was off :>)

Jul '17

People really should take note of bushes and or trees that encroach into the sidewalk. This is getting to be a safety issue as it forces one to walk in the street.

Firefighters need to play hide and seek to find this hydrant.

OK last one. My new favorite! That's a big ol' branch hanging into the sidewalk.

Crazy how hackettstown indoor sports academy just closed like that

Greg- pull it down. Solved!

Jul '17

BBU- The branch was about 15 feet long. Also the tree had several other large dead limbs just aching to come down as well. Pulling it down while walking my dogs was not an option. It was my first thought though.
My point is people need to be cognizant of hazards such as this one and keep their landscaping trimmed and clear of sidewalks and such.

As an aside, the tree branch was cleared away today..

I hope a younger person doesn't live at that "tree house." Just lazy, cut it up. If it is a senior then the neighbors should help.

People need to be in control of their pets at ALL times.
I cannot begin to count how many unleashed dogs I encounter while walking my leashed dogs.
And cats. Cats that belong to people hang out everywhere except their own yard.
Ok I'm done for now.

Walking Girl Walking Girl
Jul '17

I put the pet carrier down on the floor and suddenly 1) I have no cats (via a magical disappearing act) 2) the rabbit has made a miraculous instantaneous recovery.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Looking at your 15-20 year senior co-worker and thinking fuuuuuuuuuuuu(& I don't want to turn out like that. I really need a new profession or something.

younggen younggen
Aug '17

Speaking of pets, well mostly dog owners. What's the deal with letting your dog do it's business on other neighbors lawns and property. I get it, you have your glorious bag of poo to retreat back home with, but why not allow your dog to do its business on your lawn and then take it for a nice walk. Honestly, it would be no different if I decided to urinate on your lawn while taking my evening walk rather than wait to get back home.

I am a pet owner, so no lashing back that I'm insensitive.

Mickey Mickey
Aug '17

Often times the walk is what triggers a movement in the dog.
On the major area of the lawn is a no no. The strip between the sidewalk and curb is acceptable.

Three local restaurants that I would have considered for my birthday dinner are closed for vacation or renovations. :o(

Tracy Tracy
Aug '17

Parking lot absolutely full, and this genius parking job at Shop Rite. There was literally a group of people around this car venting.

Who DOES this?

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Did you leave the note lol

skippy skippy
Aug '17

No, but was tempted.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Maybe the "genius" views HL and can see how "smart and thoughtful" he/she appears.

Mrs. Pipes Mrs. Pipes
Aug '17

Rebecka, get two friends with motorcycles to park in front of the car and in back of the car. Wait for the car owner to get back and see how they react LOL.

I did briefly consider surrounding the car with a small fortress of 20 or so shopping carts. :-P

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

You could do that at Weis, but it would take a bunch of quarters at Shop Rite.

Yankeefan Yankeefan
Aug '17

Yankeefan, only two quarters would be needed as you could lock then together. Wish I was there with Rebecka as I would have helped the blockade LOL.

OMG Rebecka - I had to look closer at the picture because my husband drives the same car in the same color but that is not his. I'm laughing because people park like jerks over there all the time

Mommyof3 Mommyof3
Aug '17

My shop rite story: I saw a guy parked in the Pregnant woman's spot at shop rite, doors open, music playing, No kids in the car (yes - I gave him the WTF stare). 45min later - On my way back, he was still in the same spot, and he said (actually shouted) - I am waiting for my wife to finish her shopping - that's why I am parked here!

This person could have parked anywhere - to wait for his wife...

htownnewbie htownnewbie
Aug '17

Yeah um.... why isn't he in there helping her. What a bum....

Metsman Metsman
Aug '17

Here ya go rebecka we just needed to short cars...on in front and one in back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MI1jEesuzI

littlelu littlelu
Aug '17

Dying. That is too perfect.

What are those 2 cars that blocked him in? Jeeps? Really like them.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Having the worst day. Is 3:30 in the afternoon too early for a glass of wine?

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Rebecka - Meet maja at the bar, she's been there since noon. ;-)

Lucky woman lol!

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Or just very confused. ;-)

Rebecka.....it depends....do you want to pass out at 8 pm OR 11pm ;)

littlelu littlelu
Aug '17

How do you deal with the aftermath of a narrsist relationship?? From the outside this person looked fantastic, to live it; was put downs, control and abuse. Narrsist is gone (thankfully) but how do you get over the experience?

Controlled42long Controlled42long
Aug '17

Controlled - sorry to hear you went through that. How long it takes to recover can depend on many factors, like how long the relationship lasted, how much the person affected you, how many other healthy relationships you had before the unhealthy one, and even the type of childhood you had. If it was a short relationship and you've had many other healthy ones, and you have a good support system (family, friends) to talk to about it, I would say just give it time... time heals all wounds, as they say. If you feel it would take too much time, and you might need someone to speak to, consider talking to a therapist. Even a few sessions can really help.

No one deserves to be in a hurtful relationship, and I wish you the best in recovering from it.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Lol GC!

maja2 maja2
Aug '17

Some things never get old maja. I'm surprised Clyde didn't chime in with that one. ;-)

@Rebecka
Thank you so much!!!! Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Controlled42long Controlled42long
Aug '17

DH just smashed up his beloved car. Ugh. No one hurt, but he's just sick over it because it's vintage and was pristine. Not a good night here.

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Aawww,,so sorry Rebecka. That stinks but I'm glad nobody was hurt.

so sorry Rebecka but so glad he is okay...

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '17

Just a bit shaken up... only his vehicle involved (otherwise we wouldn't be thinking about the car). Even the deer was unharmed. (Where is my eye roll emoticon when I need it? Stupid deer.)

Rebecka Rebecka
Aug '17

Oh my goodness Rebecka! So glad he's ok!

Antimony Antimony
Aug '17

Your husband is OK, Rebecka...that is really the best news. Sorry about the car...

joyful joyful
Aug '17

Rebecka, at least your husband is still vintage and pristine, the car can be fixed or replaced, I'll bet on most days he can't. As upsetting as it is, the reality is he's ok and for that we are happy.

Bessie Bessie
Aug '17

Now I understand all the sneezing- and it's growing very old: https://www.pollen.com/forecast/extended/pollen/07840

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '17

Just dropped Hawkeye off to spend the weekend with his new family and I'm *completely* freaking out like a worried mother hen. They are perfect and everything will be FINE and I really need to chill. But it's so hard to let go and relax... it's like seeing my "baby" take off...

Rebecka Rebecka
Sep '17

Awww totally understandable Rebecka. I would be freaking out too. Of course he'll be fine!

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.