Kombucha

Does anyone drink kombucha on a regular basis? Wondering how much per day you drink and what benefits you are getting from it. Also, do you buy it on tap or already bottled.

happiest girl
Jan '17

I would not recommend drinking it after reading this:

From Wiki:

Although it has been claimed to have numerous health benefits, there is no good evidence that drinking kombucha has such effects.[1] By contrast, there are several documented cases of serious adverse effects, including fatalities, related to kombucha drinking, possibly arising from contamination during home preparation.[2][3] Since the mostly unclear benefits of kombucha drinking do not outweigh the known risks, it is not recommended for therapeutic use.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

I drink a couple of glasses of it a week & buy it from Empire Health Foods where they have it on tap in different flavors. Buy a growler's worth for the best price. It last for several weeks.

Luca1 Luca1
Jan '17

http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2013/03/25/kombucha-myths-vs-truths/

saw this article in re Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast

pertinent points below:

Sugar doesn't even start breaking down until day 15 of first fermentation and isn't well consumed until day 30

Caffeine remains through day 30 of fermentation, unchanged

Kombucha doesn't naturally contain B vitamins

Second fermentation for as little as 3 days can take the alcohol percentage from .5% to 3%

skippy skippy
Jan '17

For the same health benefits it would probably be similar to drinking ginseng green tea for the antioxidants and vitamins, plus a probiotic yogurt like Activia for a digestion aid. Otherwise ask the local brewers what effect wild yeast strains have on their brews. Not so nice.

Luca1 -
What brand does Empire Health have on tap -- is it Aqua Vitea?

happiest girl
Jan '17

Except non-organic dairy is gross and non-alkaline forming, not to mention an industry deep seated in animal cruelty, GC!
Empire does have Aqua Vitea

kepa
Jan '17

Thanks kepa.
And I agree about the farming issue. I buy an organic milk that I ferment into Kefir using Kefir grains.

happiest girl
Jan '17

Re: Kombucha

If you know someone who brews their own, you can get a scoby and start making it yourself. There are numerous video's on youtube to show you how. I used to brew my own a while back, this is a pic of my first batch.

Denis Denis
Jan '17

Making it is something to consider, Denis.
I think, for now anyway, I will buy it on tap as they have several different blends --- including elderberry which is a health benefit on it's own -- and I can get it very inexpensively in Newton.

happiest girl
Jan '17

I just bought a growler of elderberry from Empire. I didn't know they had a fill station until I read this thread so thank you. I know Dean's in Chester does but I don't get out that way too often. I tried making my own once but I was unsuccessful and I killed my scoby.

jrsemom jrsemom
Jan '17

On the 3rd Thursday of the month, Empire gives a 20% discount so that is when I fill my growler up!

@jrsemom, poor little scoby.

Denis Denis
Jan '17

It really was sad. It sank and grew mold which then caused my brew to mold. My kitchen is just too cold I guess. If I ever get a heater for it I'll try again.

jrsemom jrsemom
Jan '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.