Thinking of adopting from Common Sense for Animals

Hi everyone!! My significant other and I just moved to the area and we are looking to adopt a dog! I'm just wondering how anyone's experience was adopting from Common Sense For Animals was! From the looks of it online, it appears to run like a shelter so we can physically go in and meet & greet with a couple different dogs? We are very excited! We have faced some difficulty in the past from rescue groups because... (despite us both working full-time jobs) we are in our early twenties and we do not have a fenced in yard.

squashberry squashberry
Jan '17

In the Rockaway Mall they have 11th hour rescue. It's next to Sears , lower level. They have lots of dogs to meet
Good Luck.

Hackmom Hackmom
Jan '17

No. I have heard not great things about them, like they provide animals to labs for testing. Go to 11th Hour. You can meet and greet at the Roxbury or Rockaway Mall locations. I got my amazing black lab from Road Trip Rescues. They brought her right to my house. I don't have a fence either.

HappyTeacher HappyTeacher
Jan '17

Dr Belise is a friend of mine so a so a disclaimer-but they are extremely ethical and good people there

skippy skippy
Jan '17

I recommend Saint Hubert's in Ledgewood. They took over for 11th hour rescue.

FredFinger FredFinger
Jan '17

Isn't it Dr Blease?

Wasn't it Noah's Ark that St Huberts took over for?

Bob Blease my error - and yes you are correct

http://www.animalhealthcenternjwc.com/team/dr-robert-r-blease/

skippy skippy
Jan '17

Great place! Very easy to work with
I walked in, saw a puppy I fell in love with and left with him an hour later

H-town Mama H-town Mama
Jan '17

I volunteer in the cat room at Common Sense and my husband walks dogs there. We fostered a senior dog there that we still have. The volunteers and workers are absolutely awesome and really care,and they are very short-handed. Wish I could get there more but health issues interfere. There are so many animals there that deserve a forever home.

Dansker Dansker
Jan '17

Not sure which of the many rescuesis the best. Maybe you'll want to check out their sites or petfinder to see if there's particular dogs you are drawn to. I'm sure they all have wonderful dogs waiting for a home.

To Happy Teacher. Don't have a clue whether it's true or not that CCA provides to labs. If it is true, wouldn't it be better to save an animal from ending up in a lab.

Best of luck to u and your future rescued baby!!

Nellejoy Nellejoy
Jan '17

I had a wonderful experience with Common Sense! I adopted our super awesome jack Russell as a tiny puppy and he's happy and healthy .... and hyper (he's all jack, it's expected). He's now almost 6 years old (in March). They were very helpful when choosing our amazing dog. A neighbor of mine adopted their dog and cat from them in addition to my Aunt adopting 3 dogs (at different times). All animals are healthy. I also used to take high school students there to walk the dogs for service learning credit. The staff was always great and very professional. I can only handle one pet at a time, but i would go back again when its time for another. Give them a try....I think you will be pleased.

Laughalittle Laughalittle
Jan '17

So people have to basically argue over which is the best animal shelter? An animal is in need, you need an animal. I agree with Nellejoy's comment to Happy Teacher. Why chase someone away from a shelter? Common Sense takes good care of the animals they have, and works hard to rescue as many as possible. My family adopted 2 cats. Our adoption experience was good. Go, if you have the love, time, energy, space and money for a pet

maja2 maja2
Jan '17

My family and I have adopted several cats from Common Sense and have been extremely satisfied . They were all very healthy and great animals.

I Won't bother to push other shelters because the specific post was to ask about Common Sense.

Good luck SB! Pet adoption is such a wonderful and exciting time!

BrandyB BrandyB
Jan '17

She asked for an opinion and I gave her one. There are many animals in need and many great shelters. My recommendation was to support a shelter that is not involved in animal testing. I don't condone that. I think that's a valid recommendation and I stick by it.

Jan '17

St. Huberts in Ledgewood Noahs ark campus. We just adopted our perfect pup from their. They are wonderful people. Ask for Kim!

Happy Teacher. Apparently you took my comment as a criticism of you. I honestly did not mean for it to sound as such.

When I was 7 and our family moved to NJ our dog went to a shelter which we later heard sold to labs. It's over 50 years and to this day I think about that dog and wonder what happened to him. I could only pray that someone adopted him. I have shed more tears, to this day, than u can imagine. Saving an animals life is not supporting the shelter.....it's supporting the animal. If I knew for sure that CSA gave animals to labs I would be at the head of the line to shut them down.

I totatally agree with you. There's many great shelters and where ever anyone rescues a pet it's another animal saved and loved.

Nellejoy Nellejoy
Jan '17

Nelle, that was in response to maja.

Jan '17

St. Huberts did take over Noah's Ark in Ledgewood, and recently reopened that facility after it suffered extensive damage from Superstorm Sandy. We adopted our furbaby from Noah's Ark in 2008.

St. Huberts main facility is in Madison, but they also run the pet adoption out of Petsmart in the ITC shopping center.

Good luck in your search.

Tracy Tracy
Jan '17

I adopted 2 cats and a dog from Common Sense. All are very healthy and happy. Would not hesitate to go back there.

Love to Sing Love to Sing
Jan '17

Thank you all for the replies. I did not mean to start a battle of arguing over which shelter is the best... simply wanted to know your experience, because my significant other and I have faced some "discrimination" from small rescue groups because we are not yet married and don't have a fenced in yard.

With that being said... we will be visiting ASAP! :)

squashberry squashberry
Jan '17

squashberry, we didn't experience that at all with Noah's Ark when we adopted, and we weren't married yet either, and lived in a townhouse.

Tracy Tracy
Jan '17

11th Hour is a joke & they lie about their dogs. Common Sense is the way to go.

HLamusesme HLamusesme
Jan '17

@ Happy teacher- Never has CSA sent any animal to a testing lab!

Squashberry-
CSA has many dogs and cats of all ages and breeds that need homes. Please come and see them. The staff is easy to work with and also offer veterinary care, if you don't already have a veterinarian, or need a second opinion.
Please consider a local shelter.
"Adopt don't shop"

Luckygirl Luckygirl
Jan '17

For anyone to even give a negative opinion on any shelter is just the issue as to why so many animals do not get adopted. Like someone stated above, you are supporting the animal--not the shelter. So just go, shop around, don't listen to opinions and find the animal YOU love.

helpthekitty helpthekitty
Jan '17

HappyTeacher, how do you know for sure that CSA sells animals to labs?

Jesse123 Jesse123
Jan '17

I said I heard not great things, not that I know for sure. My husband was involved with animal rights groups that did not support the shelter for that reason. So we choose to support other shelters.

It matters where you adopt. Your donation helps that shelter stay in business. If the shelter is doing questionable things, I don't want my money to support them. If you are going to adopt an animal, where you adopt has no effect on the number of animals left in other shelters. I don't see how choosing to support one shelter over another has anything to do with growing or diminishing numbers of unwanted animals.

Jan '17

If you don't know for sure - perhaps you should do some research - not fair to smear something based on he said she said - too much of that going on here

4catmom 4catmom
Jan '17

I know for sure that they support the use of animals for research. They advertise research animals on their own website. http://www.commonsenseforanimals.org/research_animals.html
I do not want to support a shelter that condones and supplies animals for research or consumption. Not my life philosophy.

Jan '17

We have adopted from CSA, Noah's Ark, which is now St. Hubert's, and a while ago from a rescue on Route 10. Friends have adopted from 11th hour. Visit the local rescues and find the pet(s) that is a good fit with you. Good luck and enjoy.

Htownforlife@gmail.c Htownforlife@gmail.c
Jan '17

Common Sense for Animals does not sell any pets to research labs. I have been involved with the shelter for about 9 years at this point. CSA brings many of their dogs up through Southern rescue programs, with staff members often making the drive to pick up the precious cargo of pups. CSA shares all known information about each dog with the adopter, on the adoption form.
Someone has clearly mistaken CSA with a different organization in their statement about selling animals to labs, and it is just that, a mistake.
While I do recommend CSA, there are many rescue groups, and I encourage you to check out all of the pets they all have available. It really isn't about which rescue you adopt from, it's about having you find your perfect fur baby.

Nimbycat Nimbycat
Jan '17

HappyTeacher - You make it sound like that link shows specific animals for sell to labs. It doesn't. From the web site there are a half dozen pages all discussing animals and their interactions with humans. I wasn't even sure if they took any position at all when the page says it's more like an unfortunate fact of life.

HappyTeacher-unless you can send us links, videos, or anything of that nature, I think you should hold your accusations. The page talks about animal research in terms of finding ways to help the animals. They aren't sending these animals to get tested on with human products like soaps and whatnot.

Jan '17

Why would they put that on their website if they have nothing to do with animal research? They are saying it's an unfortunate necessity. That welcomes inquiry from interested parties. Why would I support a shelter that posts something I don't like when there are others that don't?

Jan '17

HappyTeacher - Why don't you call CSA and ask them? 908-859-3060.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '17

I don't need to because there are so many other shelters without questionable material on their websites that I can support. It would be like a storefront flying a confederate flag. Maybe they have valid reasons for displaying it, but if it makes me uncomfortable I don't have to shop there.

Jan '17

Just because some other shelter does not outwardly put something on their page doesn't mean they also still don't support it or do something of a similar nature.

Jan '17

Happy teacher - still no proof to support your statement that they provide animals for testing. I support medical marijuana, but that doesn't mean that I have ever used it (I haven't.) I also support women's right to terminate a pregnancy, if that is what is right for them, but I don't think that I would ever do that. I support motorcycle riders being able to not wear a helmet, but I think they're foolish.

Supporting the idea of something is not the same as participating in it.

No regrets
Jan '17

No regrets-perfectly stated.

Jan '17

Adoption is great no matter where you go. You are saving a life (actually more than one, because now there is room in the shelter for another dog). I adopted from Common Sense 10 years ago. It was an easy process and my pup has been my best bud since day one. I've also adopted from Eleventh Hour and Noah's Ark (now St. Huberts). No matter where you go, just make sure you find the right match for you.

Good luck and thank you for choosing adoption!

Re: Thinking of adopting from Common Sense for Animals

Slightly off the original topic: one of my cats was hit by a car a couple of years ago and taken to CSA. From the moment he got there, they worked diligently to save his life, without knowing if an owner would be found to pay the bill. We went there same day to claim him and Dr Blease was very frank about his injuries. The original estimate for his care was $1,000; the final total was nearly double that. He was at the hospital for nearly two months. He came home missing one eye with a crooked jaw. We had to hand feed him wet food when he first came home. Prior to his coming home we paid $1,000. The day we picked him up I paid another $500 and said I'd send the balance in a week. When I got my receipt, Dr Blease had waived the balance due.

It's never been about money for him. If we hadn't come forward, my sweet Dave would still have been given the same care. That's the way CSA works.

Lynne Lynne
Feb '17

Anyone know if Common Sense has a new number? I tried calling the number on their website (Same as one posted above) and it just rings....no voicemail or anything.

Any recommendations? A family member must give up his dogs due to a divorce sitauation. Any thoughts ? 2 small dogs? Any recommendations pls pm me

Htownnewbie Htownnewbie
Oct '17

I believe that Common Sense takes surrenders but call to double check. If they do there is usually a fee associated with it. You could also post on Facebook in the group ANIMALS IN NJ THAT NEED HOMES. You'll reach wider audience that can recommend surrender shelters.

HLamusesme HLamusesme
Oct '17

He can also look into Two Hearts Animal Rescue. They are amazing!

just saying is all just saying is all
Oct '17

Happy teacher, their site explains their beliefs for ethical treatment of animals in all the ways that humans interact. One of those ways the site discusses is that we use them for food. One other way is that we use them is for lab testing. By you saying that this means they sell animals to labs because it is mentioned is as rediculous as saying that they sell the animals to butchers for meat. The site is simply explaining that we have various ways of interacting with animals and it is their belief that all interactions, including using them for food, for labs, for pets, for protection, for therapy, whatever, must be done humanely and with respect. Did you not read those statements, or did you just see the words "lab testing" and run with it. Dr. Blease is trying to educate people with his site and with his business. He has animals there that have been in his shelter for several years through no ones fault. They simply haven't been chosen for adoption. OBVIOUSLY if he was selling amomals to labs he would be selling the ones that never get adopted. A phrase comes to mind from the first episode of the new show about young Sheldon Cooper where he was speaking to his brother about how he, Sheldon, is a twin...

Crystal Cahill Crystal Cahill
Oct '17

Happy teacher, you said "I do not want to support a shelter that condones and supplies animals for research or consumption. Not my life philosophy." So you are vegetarian? They don't supply animals for consumption but they don't condemn it. SMH

Crystal Cahill Crystal Cahill
Oct '17

Oh Lord have mercy. This again?? SMH. I’m allowed to support- and NOT support- whatever shelter I choose for whatever reason. AND I can express my opinion about it.

Oct '17

Crystal Cahill is correct. Common Sense for Animals' mission is of compassion and balance. The shelter is a no kill shelter, which supports that goal. Adopt a friend from the shelter, and, if you are able, please support the work they do to care for the vulnerable animals in our community. It will make you and your new companion so happy.

Lisa McConnell Lisa McConnell
Oct '17

Thanks for your help

Htownnewbie Htownnewbie
Oct '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.