Car Mechanic

Looking for a reliable inexpensive mechanics around town?

I found a great mechanic through this forum years ago. There are other threads out there on this topic. I go to Scotty G. Auto MD. The most honest mechanic I've ever met. Yes, very reliable.

JB400 JB400
Jan '17

Valley Auto on Main Street

Bessie Bessie
Jan '17

HMI.

mohepinoke mohepinoke
Jan '17

Camp's or Valley

Search previous posts, a lot of recommendations out there.

Went to Dimensions for the first time recently. Very happy with their service and impressed with their honesty!! It's on East ave.

concernedfriend concernedfriend
Jan '17

If you actually want it fixed right, try On The Move Auto- right behind Leo's and the bridal shop on Main Street. Knowledge and service gets it done well here.

The Rhyme Animal The Rhyme Animal
Jan '17

Scotty G. - he has been faithfully maintaining my vehicles for years and I have yet to question anything he has recommended, said, or done!

Valley Auto on Main St. ,, the Best !

BLUEFISHED BLUEFISHED
Jan '17

Riverside Imports on Rt 57.

Shutterbug Shutterbug
Jan '17

Scotty G +++1

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Jan '17

Scotty G!

Luckygirl Luckygirl
Jan '17

A old family friend and a great mechanic ..John Camporini at Camps..908-852-6113

Joyful Joyful
Jan '17

Scotty G replaced my alternator. Used incorrect hardware and it came loose. Broke down on Route 80. Had car towed to auto repair place in Denville. They found that an obviously wrong-sized bolt caused the alternator to almost fall off and the car stopped running after all the warning lights came on. They were nice enough to install a new bolt for free, re-mounted the alternator, and the car was fine. I will not bash Scotty G because the previous repair was fine. I like Scotty, but am afraid to take my car back there. I've been using Hoff's Automotive on Grand Ave ever since and have been very satisfied. YMMV.

Jesse Jesse
Jan '17

I second HMI.

Dansker Dansker
Jan '17

Tibor/Riverside Imports. He is in The Shell Station on Rt.57 right next to Dairy Queen. Most honest man/mechanic I ever met.

Jacqui Jacqui
Jan '17

Scotty G Auto MD, very honest, one of the only places I feel comfortable leaving my car, saying "go over it, do what ever it needs". No need to worry about having to remortgage the house to pay the bill! VERY HONEST AND DEPENDABLE

I've been using Valley Auto for years and have never had a bad experience with them.

Mr. Resident Mr. Resident
Jan '17

Scotty G! He has been taking care of my Odyssey for years now..At one time it needed everything from not being used. When I got my airbags replaced at the dealership they did a free check of my vehicle, and found over a thousand dollars of work to be done..Went to Scotty and he said none was necessary..He has never lied to me, and always explains what needs to be done..And if I can wait a little bit, he tells me that too! He always has time to fix even the little things on my van(like changing bulbs) right away..None better..

abigail abigail
Jan '17

Does anybody use Five Brothers at 289 Main St?
They are behind the lamp shop.

Valley Auto.

Consigliere
Jan '17

John at Camp's is great. Known him for quite awhile.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Jan '17

Do any area mechanics still only charge $75 hr labor rates? I think most are $90 an hour now. I know Valley is $90 hr and I believe Camp's is as well.

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Jan '17

Valley Auto is by far the best in town, I always go back there

H-Town Man H-Town Man
Jan '17

Stay away from Hoff's! Place is a ripoff and charges you double of what others are charging! Went there once and for a road test charged me half hour labor for a 2 minute ride, oh and I knew the mechanic too! I never went back to that dump! Jeff at Main street was awesome and very honest and reasonable and I trusted him. Only set back with him was he was a little slow to get car done. Sorry he is no longer in business. Thankfully I took auto mechanics in high school and can fix a lot myself.

Sergio Qureshi Sergio Qureshi
Jan '17

Scotty G is amazing and incredibly honest/trust worthy... so glad to see so many share my experiences.

pmnsk pmnsk
Jan '17

My driveway. But for the few things l can't do, Hackettstown Motor Imports. Been using Ray for a long time. Good guy.

Eperot Eperot
Jan '17

I highly recommend Dimensions on East Ave. I've been going there for many years.
The owner is positively honest, reasonable, and does great work.

Joyce Joyce
Jan '17

Riverside Imports by Dairy Queen, is a good and honest place.

pieguy pieguy
Jan '17

Z Car Service right outside the gate of Panther Valley. Very honest, fair prices and a 1 man show!

pvman pvman
Jan '17

We've been using Hackettstown Motor Imports (HMI) for more than 4 years since Diamond Auto closed down. Nothing but good words and recommendation for HMI.

b1rd1e b1rd1e
Jan '17

Just curious for any feedback. Has anyone used Rich and Sons garage on Route 46 on the Hackettstown / Independence border?

https://www.facebook.com/Rich-Sons-automotive-and-truck-repair-264840346866134/

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Oct '17

Both the rear hatch and hood on my Grand Cherokee do not stay up, need to replace the support struts. Don't know if this is the right name but they don't stay up, need to hold them. I don't know who to call, not the dealer of course. Suggestions?

justwondering justwondering
Oct '17

justwondering

You're right, they are called struts and you can normally order them online or at Advance Auto, Autozone or other parts store and replace them outright, though you do need a piece of wood strong enough to support the weight of the hood/hatch and/or an assistant to help support the weight while you bolt a new one on. If they're held on with rivets, rather than bolts, it's not as straightforward and you need both the new rivets (which may or not be supplied) and a tool for replacement. That said, I think you're more likely to have "bolt up" ones. I'm sure there's a DIY type video on youtube to show you how to do it, depending on your exact year and model.

Phil D. Phil D.
Oct '17

Lenny- We use Rich and Sons. Rich used to work for a shop outside the area and worked on cars in his driveway as a side gig. We've been using him for a while. It's great to see that he has his own place. He's reliable, fast, and has fair prices. We have had quite a few things done and have yet to be disappointed.

Flowers Flowers
Oct '17

My wife changed the struts on a jerp in minutes. Not very hard give it a try before you pay someone.

Roywhite Roywhite
Oct '17

My husband does side mechanic work for reasonable prices. PM me if interested.

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

Whatever you do, DO NOT go to Scotty G.
Horrible experience there.

happiest girl
Oct '17

Tynan's Service Center on RT 46 across from Mavis Tire place. Been going there for years.

Mike at On The Move Automotive is the BEST. Behind Leo's. Honest and on time.

Agree with multiple things here -

The rear door struts on a Jeep like that are a really easy project most people can do themselves. Hold the door up, undo two screws, replace the strut, put the two screws back.

However, if you don't want to do that then any mechanic can handle the job. I still recommend both John's and Valley. Plus is you need a side job, then Calico's husband "Horatio" is about as good as it gets. (and my friend Bubba's best buddy)

Don't go to Budd Lake Transmission & repair - liars and misquote the price.
They are on Rt 46 (opposite Connelly Ave) near Days Inn, and across Dominos Pizza.

I have been a customer of Scotty G's for over 7 years and never had a bad experience. They do great work, are competitively priced, provide loaner cars and no surprises. I recommend them without hesitation.

Ditto on Scotty G. Customer 10+ years and nothing but great service every time.

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Oct '17

I've switched to from Hoffs to Valley. Very happy.

Common Sense
Oct '17

Camp’s Family on Stiger. Honest, reliable, quick and good prices.

Mamaof4 Mamaof4
Oct '17

Mike at On the Move Auto, Ray at HMI, and Roy at Dimension are all great mechanics, you can't go wrong with any of them.
Not one of them will steer you wrong :)

Kevin was the mechanic at Camps for years so anyone who had work done there he did it , finally opened his own shop the past 2 yrs , email me if you want his location , he's very busy so appointments are recommended,

DLD - Just curious as to why his location is top secret.....

Calico696 Calico696
Oct '17

Parents garage...

Valley Auto , on Main St. , The Best

Bluefish Ed Bluefish Ed
Oct '17

Re: Car Mechanic

Yes, great service and honesty at HMI Auto Care

www.hmiautocare.com/testimonials

Kimberly Torres Kimberly Torres
Oct '17

Love Valley Auto! I won't go anywhere else.

SquirrelGirl SquirrelGirl
Oct '17

Valley Auto on Main St

Kate S Kate S
Oct '17

I personally recommend Valley Auto, best in Hackettstown. I've been going to them for over 20 years.

Danny Bell Danny Bell
Oct '17

Valley Auto. About as honest as the day is long. Brought my wife's Saab in there about 5 years ago for an input shaft replacement. The part failed 11 months after that and I went to Valley for another replacement. After looking at his records, ted informed me that his repairs have a one year warranty and he'd do the job free of charge, both parts and labor. I was shocked that a mechanic in this day and age would do that. I'll never go anywhere else.

Consigliere
Oct '17

I have to agree that Ted at Valley Auto is really great. Honest, reliable, and has never overcharged us.

Rebecka Rebecka
Oct '17

Valley Auto without question.

Love To Sing Love To Sing
Oct '17

Steves pit stop and also Valley auto. Warren county tech studemt will also do your car. They Did my brakes front and back my rotors and a wheel alignment and all I had do is pay for the parts. Which the school orders and they also get a little discount on them.

Jillvpv Jillvpv
Oct '17

Scotty G's - honest, reliable and high quality work - every time, for all our vehicles over years.

rleaf rleaf
Oct '17

How does one go about scheduling repair work with the Warren County Tech students? Is there a special number to call?? I think I need new rear brake drums.

Lenny Rock Lenny Rock
Oct '17

Recommend motor city garage - located on east plane street. Great team of mechanics. Very pleased with their service and professionalism. I took my car to them after another mechanic recommended I junk my car. They immediately found the problem and fixed. Very pleased - give them a try.

Htownnewbie Htownnewbie
Jul '18

Honda owners.....Scotty’s or the dealer on 46? Which would you choose? Why? Thank you.

Guilty-Remnant Guilty-Remnant
Jul '18

Mike Huffert On The Move off of main st. is the best mechanic. Very reasonable and honest. Cares about making sure your car is safe to drive. Would not go any place else.

goldenretriever4 goldenretriever4
Jul '18

Second that for Mike Huffert

Amused Amused
Jul '18

Seeking an honest and good mechanic for a diagnosis and possible repair of an issue for my 2013 Ram 1500. The problem may or may not be a serious engine issue, hence the need for a solid diagnosis. I read through this thread but many references are pretty dated, so thought to ask for more relevant referrals. Thanks!

theolgamer theolgamer
Sep '20

I would see Tad at Valley Auto 250 Main street Hackettstown. 908 852 4434.

East Forest Garage - 4 E Forest Rd, Budd Lake 973-347-7877.

Owner Bob is a great guy and Very Honest.

NYRGUY
Sep '20

Rich at Rich and sons on Route 46 in Independence twp- honest and skilled at diagnostics. Also gives 10% off labor to teachers and first responders.

sportsfan sportsfan
Sep '20

Five brothers mechanic in hackettstown ask for Julio

Debbie 113 Debbie 113
Sep '20

Valley Auto in Hackettstown.
Absolutely my highest recommendation.

Stymie Stymie
Sep '20

theolgamer

Does it set an engine code and give you an engine light? If so, have you had the codes read to find out what kind of issue is indicated?

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

Scotty G > Valley all day long.

callitlikeIseeit callitlikeIseeit
Sep '20

Thanks very much for the replies and recommendations everyone. @ PhilD, no engine light or check code. Getting what might be the ‘Hemi tap’, but it could also be a loosening at the exhaust manifold. I’m hoping for the latter as research indicates it’s a relatively quick and much less expensive repair.

Theolgamer Theolgamer
Sep '20

Theolgamer

Yeah, unfortunately, that kind of thing is less likely to set off an engine code, at least as far as I'm aware. There are still things that take a good old fashioned diagnostician to find and fix. Like a frozen or sticking IAC/BYP valve.

Phil D. Phil D.
Sep '20

If you don't have a check engine light and are hearing noise from your engine I would have it checked out as soon as possible, especially if you have a hemi engine. The HEMI is prone to all kinds of mechanical failures from dropped valve guides to seized lifters. I recommend you find a qualified mechanic, some of these bozos will cost you alot of money in misdiagnosis. https://www.ase.com/Landing-Pages/Car-Owners/Find-a-Repair-Shop/Shop-Locator.aspx

I have used Motor City on Plane Street, very happy with them. Just normal brakes and oil changes though nothing of your magnitude.

Jimt1058
Sep '20

An exhaust leak on a Ram will indeed set the check engine light with an O2 sensor code. And exhaust manifold gaskets are quite common on Hemi. I've done 2 sets on mine already.

In a similar vein, anyone had much experience with Kozimors on Route 46 in Independence?

Mervin
Sep '20

Yes, great guys, good prices, never do more than necessary, honest, been using their services for 20 years for my trucks and Subaru's right after dealer warranty expires.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Sep '20

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.