Allamuchy General Store Accident 1/10

A tractor trailer just drove into the store!! The cab is actually in the store ! Not sure about injuries yet.

23marengo 23marengo
Jan '17

prayers, its not that big in there..,

Bummer. I sure hope no one is injured badly as it states injuries on the first responder website.

That's horrible! I hope everyone is okay.

Seems no one was hurt...thankfully.

http://www.nj.com/warren/index.ssf/2017/01/big_rig_crashes_through_wall_and_into_general_stor.html#incart_river_index

NJSkyWatcher NJSkyWatcher
Jan '17

Wow!

Tracy Tracy
Jan '17

Re: Allamuchy General Store Accident 1/10

Another angle.

Didn't they just finish repairs from a previous accident from a couple years back? So fortunate that no one was hurt.

hktownie hktownie
Jan '17

I hope Dean can get back up and running quickly! He's a good guy and works his ass off in there.
Glad to hear no one got hurt.

Chris Wyckoff Chris Wyckoff
Jan '17

Mr. and Mrs. Pipes are sad and sorry that this accident happened, and we are glad nobody was hurt! Dean works very hard and is a good guy. We hope repairs can be made quickly and The General Store will be fully functioning soon!

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Jan '17

Here's the inside

NJSkyWatcher NJSkyWatcher
Jan '17

Wow, just wow! Glad everyone is ok.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '17

Holy hell !!!!!!!

Dallas Dallas
Jan '17

Looks like damage to the building and chairs, tables, at least the deli and ice cream cases seem ok in the pic. Can they even back the truck out or do they need to prop up the ceiling first somehow? That is crazy!

hktownie hktownie
Jan '17

Drove by and Service Pro was there. Front all boarded up.

Glad to hear no one was injured..

Steven Steven
Jan '17

So glad no one was hurt. All the Allamuchy kids grew up going into this store/post
office every day. Loved the ice cream fountain. Hope it's up and running soon.

Jean Hendershot Jean Hendershot
Jan '17

Any word on when they will reopen?

Bug3
Jan '17

The owner was interviewed on WRNJ last week and said probably 3-4 months before the store will be up and running. He and his family actually live in the building and have been displaced by the accident.

It was announced at Trinity on Sunday that Dean donated all the food from the store to the Lord's Pantry at Trinity. What an act of generosity at a time of personal tragedy!

Jersey Girl Jersey Girl
Jan '17

Well, he has insurance and it should be insured along with business interruption coverage. It makes no sense to find a way to save the food which would cost money and what can be saved is questionable and an accounting nightmare. He probably ran this by his insurance company and after photos were taken to document...

Still better than pitching it

skippy skippy
Jan '17

Ok and he could have easily just thrown it out iJay. What's your point? Obviously he thought about people who needed it and rather than throw it out he put it to good use.

Metsman Metsman
Jan '17

Agreed metsman.

Dean, Thank you for your donation of food to Trinity. It was a very good decision. We are happy you will eventually reopen and hope the process goes smoothly. We look forward to again patronizing the Allamuchy General Store!!

MrsPipes MrsPipes
Jan '17

Will this place ever reopen?

bug3
Jun '18

^ Believe the sign on the front rail said they would be opening on Tuesday.

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Jun '18

Glad to hear this.. I was just thinking of them today.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '18

They're open!

https://m.facebook.com/generalstorecafenj/

Jules Jules
Jun '18

Was in there last week. They've created a beautiful new cafe that feels like an old time general store inside, great new menu and staff. Had an amazing burger!

hktownie hktownie
Jun '18

I went to the Allamuchy General store recently and was pleasantly surprised,, the decor was beautiful, a one of a kind in the area. The breakfast omelet I had was delicious and reasonably priced. I will make this one of my go to places.
Good luck to them.

Matthew

matthew matthew
Jun '18

I went today
The same old grump still works there

Bug3
Jun '18

I know but he's the owner.

jerseyboy
Jun '18

LOL!!! Yeah the owner pissed me off a few years ago so I never went back. I am going to try it again very soon since he redid the place & the menu. Everyone says the food is good but to bring your patience.

Luca(work) Luca(work)
Jun '18

I've never had any issues with the owner. Always nice and friendly, food always good.

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Jun '18

Hubby and I went this morning for Sunday breakfast at the newly remodeled Allamuchy General Store. We got there a little after 9 and got a table right away. By 10 the place was packed with some eating outside. They had plenty of help which worked so everyone was served in a reasonable amount of time. When we got there we were given 3 sheets of paper stapled together with all of the items available on the Breakfast menu..Skillet dinners, omelets, egg specialties and explaining what it consisted of. No prices...So, since it was starting to get busy, we just picked out something we thought would be good and that we had their before which was the skillet dinners. This consisted of chopped up sausage and bacon with homefries topped with two fried eggs and toast or English muffin. We also each had coffee (which was served in big cups which I liked)...When we received our check...It only said on it what we had to eat which was the two skillet dinners and coffee..So we left a tip on the table ($5 as we always tip generously wherever we go) and went over to the counter to pay our bill. When I got to the car I looked at the receipt...The two skillet dinners and coffee came to $24.28 plus the $5 tip so almost a $30.00 breakfast. It was a bit pricier than we usually do for breakfast but I think I would do it again. Just would like to know next time the cost of what I am ordering before hand. The owner was very friendly and came around to each table and the staff were great. We will go back..

joyful joyful
Jul '18

Are they still making pizza? Is there a posted menu?

They are in the midst of a soft opening and we were told they would have the official menus coming soon. That is why you only had the pieces of paper stapled together with just the menu descriptions. Definitely ask for prices if you have any concern.

Jules Jules
Jul '18

I did not see a posted menu for pizza but it might very well have been there and I just did not notice. I did see a few full cases of lunch meats and cheese and deli items and also a full case of very delicious looking pastries..I really should have asked for the prices, Jules, that was really my fault. I did feel it strange, however, when we got our bill delivered to the table...that it also just had written on it what we ordered and not the price..It was not until my husband showed me the receipt from his charge card (the owner did all of the checking out) that I saw what our breakfast actually cost.

joyful joyful
Jul '18

I ate breakfast there this morning as well - got there 11:30 after the rush. Our waitress told us that earlier, the wait for food was 45 minutes to an hour! Luckily, when we got there, we did not have to wait an exorbitant amount of time for the food. The menu - yes - it's several pieces of paper stapled together & we only gone one & had to share. I asked for another menu which they said they had to "find" one - really? It was strange that there were no prices - I agree.

We ordered omelettes - food was delicious & our waitress was great. In the past, I had tried the place twice & had such horrendous service that I didn't go back for over 3 years until now. Our breakfast with 2 coffee's came to $28.00 - it was on par for what we would have paid if we went to a diner or Stella G.'s. I will be back - but definitely not when it's a typical busy time - that is for sure. The food is made fresh so it takes time.

Joyful, definitely agree that the prices should have been on your bill. I just meant that if you were not sure then it's always best to ask before ordering.

The food definitely is fantastic and made to order. Hopefully those official menus will be coming soon but I believe I was told that the grand opening won't be until the end of the summer.

Jules Jules
Jul '18

The "soft" opening time of the store is really over. I know of no place that you can go now and not receive a menu "with prices" and also when the waitress brings you your check that you do not know exactly how much you will be paying to whoever rings you up. The owner/manager should most certainly tell their staff how much the items they are serving to you cost (and not have them just indicate on your bill what you were served).. and thus that amount will be on your bill. No surprises. Everything else in this business is great...Why not post the prices on the menu and tell the staff how much to put on your bill??? I am a former business owner and I know that should be a priority right now. Wishing them the very best at Allamuchy General Store...

joyful joyful
Jul '18

You are totally correct Joyful- I agree..

Luca(cell) Luca(cell)
Jul '18

I am surprised with all of the work and time that went into getting it reopened that the disrespectful owner is still the front person as these posts indicate. You think he would have learned by all of the negative comments. Than again he seems to arrogant to correct an issue. I hope his issue of slicing cold cuts to go on a sandwich then eating some by touching his mouth and then proceeding to finish making the sandwich has changed. Hopefully the place has a new procedure for cleanliness.

Awesome Awesome
Jul '18

Awesome, who said he didn't learn? I see positive comments.

maja2 maja2
Jul '18

Bottom line the place has great potential. This is 2018 so keep with the times and your business will be great. Stay old school and your done....

Htown Htown
Jul '18

There was a post stating “same old grump”. Point is check back in a few months or more and I am sure he will be back to his old way of treating people and mis handeling of food. Sadest part great location and we know a lot of people who were so turned off they will never go back.

Awesome Awesome
Jul '18

I agree Joyful. Sounds like a great breakfast, but FOR ME, just breakfast for two, I find that a bit pricey and yes, I want to see prices before I order.

Many of us are on a budget...

positive positive
Jul '18

Exactly, Positive!...They took the time and effort to neatly type out all of the breakfast selections including their ingredients, etc. on those 3 sheets of paper...all they would have to do at this point if the new menus have not come in yet is to indicate the price of that particular item next to each one.....(Could even write it in with a pen)..Easy..Peasy!!

joyful joyful
Jul '18

Good Morning joyful! You are one of the kindest, most generous and thoughtful people who post here on HL. You always find the positive side of any situation.

If the owner is reading this I hope he will take your feedback to heart.

hktownie hktownie
Jul '18

Thank you, hktownie....I hope so too!

joyful joyful
Jul '18

I would have asked what the prices were before I ordered. If too pricey for what I wanted, I would order something different, or leave.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Jul '18

We went to the General Store for breakfast today and the service was a lot faster, The owner said he hired additional help, It seems to be working.

matthew matthew
Jul '18

When we were there, Matthew, the service was fast enough...in fact, the servers and waitresses were really great. Did they have menus with prices on them yet? Or a sign with the items on it with their prices? Or did you ask for the price of the item you ordered?

joyful joyful
Jul '18

In my opinion

Any menu without Prices is usually more expensive than it should be and Overcharging !! Deceiving the Consumer is not right !

And waiting 45 minutes to an hour to eat at this place? HELLO !!!

LittlePiglet LittlePiglet
Jul '18

It's not like the owner never owned a restaurant before....therefore, he should already know what price he needs to charge for the food & it should be displayed on the menu. The food is freshly prepped; hence the reason for the slow serving of the food. Got egg sandwiches there the other day & they were great!

Hahaha 45 mins to an hour wait there?! They would get 8-12 minutes of my time at best. However I have not considered visiting there after reading and hearing first hand the typical customer experience there. That decision goes back several years by the way.

45 minutes for breakfast? LOL...

We were there at the same time as our last stop. W had our breakfast within ten min.a lot faster than the last visit. I do not understand why there is no price list yet, but I could just ask before I ordered

matthew matthew
Jul '18

If you have to ask a price...you cant afford it..

Bug3
Jul '18

Or they can afford it but prefer to spend that money on something other than breakfast?

LMAO, assume much?

Lori...Since '73 Lori...Since '73
Jul '18

I spent $14 at Cheesecake factory for chicken and waffles benedict one day. The waffles were soggy and the dish overall was bland. I'm guessing they don't charge that much for breakfast and the quality is probably better.

Metsman Metsman
Jul '18

It's a high class breakfast place catering to the upper crust at panther valley (lol)

Bug3
Jul '18

We were at the Allamuchy General Store Cafe 3 times last week. Every meal we had was great and Dean,the owner, was pleasant and so thankful to be open. He has been through a lot since the tractor trailer crash. He will have pizza starting in the fall and he will be extending service for dinner also. We are so happy he is open again, and the place looks great. There are a lot of antique and interesting items on the walls. He is serving Das ice cream and it is delicious. My aunt loves the breakfast in skillets. My grandson, who was visiting for a week was so happy with everything he ordered. I bought some delicious cupcakes for a small dinner I was hosting.
I hope everyone comes out and tries this gem. The entire staff is great. I wish him lots of luck.

Susan Cecere Susan Cecere
Jul '18

Best luck to Dean; hope he only gets great reviews going forward.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Jul '18

had breakfast there last week.pancakes were huge about a foot in diameter and 3 inches high.they were great.bacon was tasty was brought out hanging on a tree.neat idea.home fries were tasty and crisp.nice décor and good service.price is what you would expect for a good meal.i would go back.and so would my friends.nice to have another choice for breakfast and lunch in the area.

Went for breakfast/lunch yesterday - still no prices on the menu! Also, no lunch menu - just a sheet of paper which was stained with food/drinks with some sandwich specials. By now there should be normal menu's with prices on them......

boo hoo….

Metsman Metsman
Aug '18

Seems like such a simple thing but enough to keep me away too, Luca. When I have to ask the waitress or the store owner what the price is for everything on the menu I might be interested in ( and... Yes,my decision is many times based on how much is in my pocketbook to spend).there are many other places we can go to that do...

joyful joyful
Aug '18

No matter how good the food and service may be it’s tacky and unprofessional not to have clean menus with prices. It’s not that hard. Print your own and laminate them or put inside those binder plastic sleeves. Heck, put them in a ziplock baggie if you have to. Why have a nice place and then skimp on something so basic? I don’t understand it.

For those of you who are laughing at those who prefer prices on their menus, I can guarantee that you don’t buy anything from target, Walmart, Kohls, ShopRite or anywhere else unless you know the prices, so why are you being so hypocritical?

PublicExplosionBeef PublicExplosionBeef
Aug '18

Maybe he changes the prices every day?

Bug3
Aug '18

Seems like they need a big blackboard where they can put the menu on...

iJay - Great idea! And there used to be a three panel blackboard behind the counter before the accident/renovation with full menu and prices. Why not now?

DannyC DannyC
Aug '18

If he changes the prices every day, then he should print new menus every day. It’s that simple.

Aug '18

Picked up tater and Mac salad last week it was DELICIOUS. So was the piece of carrot cake we got. Looking forward to his pizza again

Itiswhatitis
Aug '18

Why would a restaurant have a food menu with no prices? Makes absolutely no sense. SMH!

Aug '18

I have no problem with asking the price of what I am interested in eating. The food is excellent and Dean is just as nice a guy as we found him to be in the past.

Mrs. Pipes```` Mrs. Pipes````
Aug '18

I’ve been to establishments without prices listed but they are usually in more *ahem* “upscale” locations.

It always annoys me when I don’t see prices but typically I’m on vacation somewhere and try not to get bothered by those things. At home, in Allamuchy, NJ? That is, without a doubt, annoying.

Consigliere
Aug '18

Very simple, just ask all of the prices for things you are interested in...if the owner gets annoyed at this, say sorry...should have the prices on your menu. If this happens enough and slows down the line, he will have to add prices.

Darrin Darrin
Aug '18

Make him go down the entire list giving you the prices of every single item. Pretty soon he’ll grow tired and put prices on like a normal business owner. Alternatively, you could tell him to guess what you want. If he gets mad, ask him why it’s OK for customers to have to guess the prices but not OK for him have to guess at what you want to order.

The third alternative is just to go to a restaurant where they treat people well and aren’t lazy and inconsiderate, and give customers sanitary menus with prices.

Aug '18

Everything is push-button these days. Unless the food is spectacular or the only game in town I don't know how they will survive?

So based on 20 plus years servicing the restaurant industry, perhaps the reason that they have not ordered new menus is that bacon and poultry have been in a very volatile market the last several weeks and they re-opened the restaurant right in the midst of this. Bacon for example has gone from in the $2.00 lb range seven weeks ago to close to $5.00lb last week, with a drastic drop from last week to this week and a continued decrease expected. Same with poultry.

Another thing to keep in mind is that he was closed over a year, perhaps he would like to see what items on his new menu are a hit and what are a miss before having the menu's printed only to have to change them in a few weeks/months.

I for one am so happy that they re-opened and wish them nothing but good luck with the new place..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '18

If the bacon & poultry markets are volatile which I'm sure they are, then other restaurants would be affected as well & they have menu's with printed prices on them.

He was in business before so he knows what sells & what doesn't. Just seems very strange to me to have a breakfast menu that is at least 6 pages long with no prices. I like the food, he has some creative things on there which is great, but I am turned off by getting dirty used printed paper menu's with no prices on them. Also, there is no lunch menu! Just very strange.....

In all my years of eating I've never seen chicken or bacon at a "market price". LOL. Clearly he has access to a computer and a printer...there is no reason to not have listed prices.

HLamusesme HLamusesme
Aug '18

Just curious, with a screen name of JrzyGirl88- am I wrong in thinking you were born in 1988?

Math has never been my strong suit- but was thinking if that is your birth date, coupled with "based on 20 plus years servicing the restaurant industry"....

Why should the customer have to ask the price? If the owners took time to make a menu with the food listed,how hard is it to keep typing and put the prices? Still makes no sense.

Aug '18

Maybe he doesn't plan on being around much longer and doesn't want to spend the money. Who knows, he may want to sell the place and get out from under the headache. I'm sure rebuilding wasn't a picnic with the insurance company and or the town. I don't know, just guessing. I would ask how much is this and how much is that, it's not brain surgery.

auntiel auntiel
Aug '18

Yes Josh you are incorrect..

JrzyGirl88 JrzyGirl88
Aug '18

Its not brain surgery to put prices on a menu

Bug3
Aug '18

Ya need to put the prices on the menu Dean

I'm going with piano lover for our JerseyGirl.

And yes, no prices, no come, perhaps you are better off.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Aug '18

I have yet to find a place where I can get eggs and bacon on roll for different prices each time as the market changes each day/week....lol. Prices at supermarkets? Yes, you will see the prices change on many items that are based on the fair market price.

Even if that were the case, most restaurants have a "based on market price/value" on their menus if indeed that item can change drastically.

countryside
Aug '18

Not having the prices listed is simply lazy and shows a complete lack of respect for your customers in my opinion. Quite frankly I find it idiotic.

No price - no sense !

htownguy htownguy
Aug '18

no prices - no go

4catmom 4catmom
Aug '18

“no prices - no go”

Agree completely. Voting with our wallets is the best possible way to affect change in any business.

justintime justintime
Aug '18

Don't know if any still do, but many years ago I was given a dinner menu with no prices. It happened twice, once in Baltimore and once in Albany.
These were both very high end restaurants.
I don't know if restaurants do this sort of thing any more.
I never heard of an *egg & homefries* kind of place not having prices on the menu -- ridiculous, and I would not go out of principle.

happiest girl
Aug '18

The place has to be exceptional to get away with this. There is no restaurant in Warren County of this caliber...

Had brunch/lunch there today. Still no prices on the menu. Food was delicious though.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '18

I will go back when there are prices on the menu...As happiest girl stated..."It is just the principle of the thing!"..

joyful joyful
Nov '18

It *is* kind of strange, Joyful.

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Nov '18

Still no prices? What a joke of a place - absolutely no excuse for not having formal printed menus with prices. I have not been back.

Luca(cell) Luca(cell)
Nov '18

I was there a month ago and there were prices on the the menu.

Independence fan Independence fan
Nov '18

I found this online: https://foursquare.com/v/allamuchy-general-store/4c6845f531ba2d7f0b50f772/menu

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '18

So the menu should not be an issue any more.

DannyC DannyC
Nov '18

I am glad to hear the owner isn’t eating people’s food and being rude to everybody

Awesome Awesome
Nov '18

Thank you..4catmom for your help in finding some prices online for Allamuchy General Store menu items. It does not make me feel any better, however, to now know that my two country skillet meals which were to be $5.75 each according to that posted price on the menu and two cups of coffee came to $24.28 on our credit card bill when rung up that day. With no set prices in the store or on the menu when you order...I guess whoever rings up your meal can ring up whatever amount for your order that they want as you won't know any better anyway...

joyful joyful
Nov '18

Think I'll keep staying away..............That's no way to do business

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '18

Joyful, you should be glad you didn't order the $675.00 Western Omelet, lol.

kb2755 kb2755
Nov '18

Gosh joyful

You know they felt they were owed that automatic tip they tacked onto the bill for you or they felt you were such a nice person that you'd wish to leave them a near 50% additional tip at regular coffee prices;-)

But then, MAYBE

Let's see $11.50 + .80 tax (@7%) = $12.30

$24.28-$12.30 = $11.98

$11.98 = 2 cups of coffee at $5.60 each, totaling $11.20 with $0.78 tax (@7%) = $11.98

I don't see the coffee prices on that menu, so you may have been charged for each refill or an expensive imported blend.

Phil D. Phil D.
Nov '18

OMG!..kb2755...Just saw that on the menu prices too...Yes, glad we did not order the $675 Western Omelet...

joyful joyful
Nov '18

When were those prices on Four Square posted or updated? You shouldn't have to bring something you copied off the internet to know the prices for the food.

$675 Western omelet must include air fare to and from the Omelet House in Las Vegas! LOL

oops - the most recent "tip" on that page is 2013....Maybe someone should tell the AGS to update their prices................lol.................stupid that it's still up

4catmom 4catmom
Nov '18

I went to the Allamuchy General Store yesterday with three friends for breakfast. After

six plus months there are still no prices on the menu so we walked out and went

elsewhere.

I my opinion the place would be better served as a training ground for how not to run a

restaurant. What a shame the place is beautiful inside and has so much potential.

Matthew Matthew
Jan '19

Wow what a joke that there are no prices on the menu yet. I don’t blame you for walking out.

Luca(cell) Luca(cell)
Jan '19

This goes back to Nov.' Joyful. Do they give you a check to pay , or just ask for your CC ? I would think they give you a bill to figure the tip amount from, and I have learned always get a copy of your charge slip signed. Seems like too much of "Their" way of doing business is bizarre for me and an simple Breakfast. And I see folks saying still no prices on menu. Wow.

Smile every day Smile every day
Jan '19

I went to Hot Dog Johnnys only once bc they had no prices displayed

It was last July..Smile every day...and hearing what I am now...I will not go back. There is absolutely no reason not to have prices on a menu. I wish them luck.

joyful joyful
Jan '19

Would guess that in the State of New Jersey there is a Law. The cost must be posted... it is for everything I can think of....
Tax man might have something to say ...
but then again...

Tommy G Tommy G
Jan '19

Has anyone asked the rationale for no prices? I still get food from there a lot and it dosent bother me but it is very odd.

Htown Htown
Jan '19

Still no prices listed ?

Has anyone asked the owner why he doesn't print prices?

Bug3
Jul '19

We need photographic proof! LOL

I suggest the Western Omelet for you, Greg :>) It's really filling.

Seriously, I see no date on this......

Jul '19

But wait, there's more...…(blackboard pic)

Again, don't know the date...…

and oops, here's the first thread link, again, not sure the date, but think the mucho dinero Western omelet was an older menu version: https://foursquare.com/v/allamuchy-general-store/4c6845f531ba2d7f0b50f772/menu

Jul '19

You know my mantra, go to the source.

Photo taken today 7/9/2019.

However, every table has a breakfast menu with all of the prices. Very nice selection I may add.

Ah, the blackboard: priceless!

Very cute, +1

StrangerDanger StrangerDanger
Jul '19

"The prices are on the menu folks. You can stop obsessing now"
Iseedumbpeople

As of Friday there is still no complete lunch menu with all all of the prices... He just doesn't get it.

Beautiful place, great coffee, but I understand Iseedumbpeople

Matthew Matthew
Jul '19

This place is consistently inconsistent, and the food is hit and miss! Pricing is a mystery half the time, is there something to hide?
Best of luck, you will need it!

Robert Robert
Jul '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.