Restaurant serving Tofu?

Anyone have a recommendation for a restaurant in town that serves a Nice Tofu and Veggie dish? No Meat, no Dairy.

hector
Dec '16

Off the top of my head, Topo probably has something along those lines. They definitely serve vegetarian dishes and tofu is a big option for many of their dishes.

Heather Heather
Dec '16

Pandan Room and Moes in Htown both have tofu on the menu.

Mamas in Htown doesn't specifically have tofu but does have an extensive vegan menu including desserts.

The Loving Hut in Ledgewood and Veggie Heaven in Denville are both exclusively vegan.

Any Chinese place has tofu and veggies but they usually call it bean curd on the menu.

Enjoy!

HappyTeacher HappyTeacher
Dec '16

Locally it's Pandan. TOPO's menu isn't quite as geared towards tofu items, but Pandan has lots of items perfect for it.

Pandan and hackettstown Chinese. HG may wish to chime in as she frequents many local venues and does not consume animal products.

skippy skippy
Dec '16

Hunan Wok or Hackettstown Chinese
I order deep fried tofu in garlic sauce or general tso sauce with broccoli. Delish!!!

Tofu wings from Marleys are delish!

Foodie Foodie
Dec '16

I've had the Tofu Teriyaki many times at Fujiyama which is good. They also have a Tofu Hibachi dinner which I haven't tried.

Chinese restaurants ---- you have to be careful and ask questions. Hong Kong palace will make it vegan if you specify. (no chicken broth or non-vegetarian oils in preparation) I have asked at other places and some can't do purely vegetarian or vegan --- for instance I just asked at the Chinese restaurant in the Shoprite mall and she could only "steam" --- she said there was already 'something' in the oil. (???)
I've had other places also tell me they could only steam my food.
It is routine for chicken broth to be thrown in while stir-frying so you have to tell them not to do this.
I've also not been able to order from places where the command of English was not good enough to understand "vegetarian" or "no chicken broth". One kept thinking I WANTED chicken in my food.
Oye.
I would also recommend Pandan -- their food is delicious.

happiest girl
Dec '16

TOPO has delicious tofu. I think it's made in house. I've not had it in a veggie dish, but I had it with avocado on a baguette sandwich and in their Ramen.

weebiekins weebiekins
Dec '16

Thank you for this thread!
It's so hard to find vegan dishes and settling for a salad all the time gets old!

Really???
Dec '16

Love all these suggestions......just decided decided to start a whole food plant based diet 27 days ago and the only place I knew that had vegan selections was Mamas, this has given me more options on days I don't want to cook.

dismom dismom
Dec '16

Veggie Heaven in Denville. The best. If I was a vegetarian or vegan there would be no way that i would ever eat a regular Chinese food joint. Happiest girl has the right idea. Many Chinese joints dont understand that sauces and oils count.

not sack
Dec '16

hector asked for restaurants "in town" -- so I didn't mention Veggie Heaven ... but yes, Veggie Heaven is a gem.
My husband and I always eat there when travelling to or from NYC.
If you are there at lunch time it is a real deal -- for $6.50 to $6.95 you get a lunch-size meal with rice, and soup. They even have sushi & sashimi. Our favorite is the "Fireball Roll"
Lunch specials are Mon-Fri .... 11:30 - 3:30 / Sat & Sun .... 12:00 - 3:30

One word of advise .... and truthfully I can't remember if it was at the Denville or Teaneck location ... don't get the Veggie Burger. My friend ordered it - and it was miserable.

happiest girl
Dec '16

Thai Kitchen in Chester!

Foodie, I didn't see tofu wings on the Marleys menu, will they make them upon request?? Thanks

Molly
Dec '16

also, Café Metro (or Metro Café) in Denville, has GREAT organic and natural meals. Lunch is reasonably prices; dinners are more expensive.

Hacklifer Hacklifer
Dec '16

Molly...on the top of the wing menu...it's bone in...bone out or tofu :). I had them tonight!

Foodie Foodie
Dec '16

Awesome Foodie, thank you!!

Molly
Dec '16

Are the tofu wings fried?

not sack
Dec '16

Yes they are fried...similar to fried tofu you find at an Asian resturant but with any kind of wing sauce

Foodie Foodie
Dec '16

Salt often has an amazing cornmeal crusted tofu dish. SO GOOD!

JustSayinInHtown
Dec '16

I'd add Hackettstown Health Foods (they moved from Main Street to Moore St across from Pandan) - they have a little cafe and only have vegetarian / vegan selections!

trekster3- trekster3-
Dec '16

Just wanted to add went to eat at the Loving Hut in Flanders this week. great tasting Vegan food. Loved everything I ordered.

dismom dismom
Jul '17

Isn't the Loving Hut on the old Ledgewood Circle? Did they move?

ianimal ianimal
Jul '17

Thought the same thing ianimal, anyway I love Loving Hut too.

positive positive
Jul '17

Deans Market in Chester has a take out section...... and their tofu with garlic and cashews is amazing..... and their blackened tofu wrap is delish....

dismom dismom
Aug '18

Marleys has over 100 different flavors of tofu, can't beat that.

lovethatpopeyes lovethatpopeyes
Aug '18

Nice to see a Vegan thread. I've been Vegan for 26 Years and finally, the world is changing for the better. Much easier to eat than it was 26 years ago.
Local- Hackerttstown Health Foods- awesome Vegan lunch buffet and sandwiches, dishes, snacks, juices etc, Pandan Room ask for any dish Vegan with Tofu and Vegan potstickers for app , Topo- Fried tofu app, Vegan Beef, Some of the Ramen dishes are Vegan (ask), add tofu, Mamas/Cafe Baci HUGE Vegan Menu - Italian, No tofu but Vegan Meatballs, Vegan Sausage, Vegan Pizza, Calzones, awesome choices, Loving Hut Ledgewood -all kinds of awesome Vegan food, Veggie Heaven Denville ( been going there since they were in Parsippany in 1997)- everything is awesome!
Deans in Chester has some Vegan sandwiches. Cafe Metro in Denville has some good Vegan options, Grass Roots Market in Denville has some Vegan sandwiches and deli items.
If you're interested in any other Vegan information, feel free to email me at njfight@gmail.com. I own Evolutionary Martial Arts on Main st. My family, some of our staff and a lot of our students are Vegan.
We love animals, we don't eat them!

DaveF DaveF
Sep '18

Thanks DaveF.
Yes, I agree the world is changing for the better.
There was a 600% increase in vegans in the US in the past 3 years.
Many wonderful statistics for world-wide population of vegans as well.

To add to your list, Hong Kong Palace will make your food vegan if you specify.
They also have a vegan soup which is delicious.

happiest girl
Sep '18

Not in NJ but Vegan Treats in Bethlehem is an all vegan bakery with AWESOME cakes, donuts, cannoli, etc.

Baci's mom Baci's mom
Sep '18

Great 3 min video concerning eating vegan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0O_VYcsIk8

Well I just found out 2 more nearby restaurants that have tofu!

Gourmet Gallery in Blairstown has vegan food with tofu on the menu -- "Spicy Korean Grilled Tofu" -- sounds yummy!

Humphrey's Tavern has a separate vegan menu!
One of their dinner specials for *this week* is a Tofu Stir-Fry.

I discovered this on HappyCow --- for those not familiar, it's a great source for finding vegan & vegetarian restaurants in any area.

https://www.happycow.net

happiest girl
Sep '18

Bacis Mom Vegan Treats is amazing.. we go there often.... Also in Bethlehem is Santoro's Franks & Chili all the menu they can make Vegan... last time we were there we had the perogis and the chili cheese dogs.... were delish....

dismom dismom
Sep '18

Thanks for the tip about Santoro's. Sounds awesome.
The menu looks great.
They are committed to cleanliness --- their website says they always use separate knives, cutting boards and utensils for the vegan food. No contamination there!!!!
:)

happiest girl
Sep '18

Just found out Taste of Italy in Hackettstown offers a vegan pizza! I just ordered one for delivery.. cant wait to try it...... Loving all the vegan options

dismom dismom
Sep '18

Awesome. Do they use Daiya cheese?

happiest girl
Sep '18

Happiest girl I did not ask what brand of cheese... Just confirmed with them that it was vegan. It did not taste like daiya at all, had a creamier texture .

dismom dismom
Sep '18

I usually make my own. But wanted to treat myself , the Sizzle BBQ on Main Street has a vegan empanada ( black bean and carrots) and with different sauces. They were soooooooo good!

dismom dismom
Sep '18

Came across this today and thought I would share. Looks awesome!

Tofu recipe: "The best vegan fried chicken." 11.33 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhJHnXgS6TU

happiest girl
Apr '19

Vegan thread!!!!! How awesome is this?

Dave f sister Dave f sister
Apr '19

Was looking over this old thread, and wanted to see if anyone had any new suggestions for Vegan options near Hackettstown?

We just had Pasta Grille's ( Mansfield) Vegan Pizza and it was delicious!

We also love the vegan empanadas at Sizzle, and rice, beans, and sweet plantains.

So any new suggestions??

dismom dismom
May '22

dismom, what was the crust like?

emerald
May '22

My girlfriend loves the veggie empanadas from KK’s cafe and also the veggie burger from Country corner cafe in Port Murray.

NJMetMan NJMetMan
May '22

emerald..

The pizza crust I am pretty sure is the same crust that they use in their regular pizza, I can ask them next time I order from Pasta Grill,lol so don't quote me.
it's a medium crust( not thin) and somewhere between soft and crunchy.

dismom dismom
May '22

NJMetMan,
took your suggestion and tried the veggie empanada at KK's and we really liked it thanks! Going to try Country Corner next...

dismom dismom
May '22

pandam room or Topo has tofu options!

Alla
May '22

dismom,
If you like peppers, Bruno’s in Hastings Square makes vegan stuffed peppers on Friday, Saturday, and I think Sunday. Didn’t have it yet but they looked good. Mixed roasted vegetables and rice baked in a large pepper. Call to make sure they have them before you go. They will make adjustments to things on the menu - for instance they have Gourmet Rolls and I asked if they could make one with mixed vegetables and they did ….. she said “anything you want”. It was delicious.
They are also the nicest people …. a + for me.

emerald
May '22

Thanks for all the warnings of restaurants serving Tofu !! I won't be eating there LOL

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics

Leave a Reply

To comment on this topic, fill out the form below. If you would like to comment directly to one person, you may click on the envelope next to the posters name if they provided their email.

Re: Restaurant serving Tofu?
Name (Required)
Email (Protected)
Add Photo (Optional)
By pressing Submit Comment, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.