Business lawyer recommendation?

Looking for a local lawyer dealing in small business law. Any personal recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

DaveB
Dec '16

At Morris County Community College they have a group called SCORE. It's bunch of retired lawyers who help small business for free. We have used them for my husband's business and they have been fantastic.

It was a few years back but I believe they meet on Wednesday or Thursday. You could called the college for info.

Good Luck!

IndyyFB1 IndyyFB1
Dec '16

I have used Howard Vex for a few years now. He is pretty good. His number is 9735678127.

Larry M Darst Larry M Darst
Dec '16

I'm going to split my reply into two - one on the whole subject of SCORE, and the other on a business lawyer.

SCORE is a great resource, funded by the Small Business Administration. It's the Service Corps of Retired Executives but in more recent times has volunteers that are not necessarily retired. They aren't just lawyers but CEO's and CPA's and other business people, often retired or semi-retired. They don't provide actual Accounting or Legal services, but they will often give you advice for when you need those services as well as referrals of who to go to.

They provide mentorship, often one on one with someone in your particular field. They also run seminars and other learning tools. Locally County College of Morris is a primary location although they also deal with the Morris County Chamber a lot.

They have a specific program for starting up a new business as well as programs for how to grow an existing business. Best thing to do is give them a call, explain your needs, and then they can go from there.

https://northwestnj.score.org/

SCORE is a good place to go if you have a single question and it may not really even need legal advice. If it does, then they are also good at giving you some names to talk to and choose who you want. Even if a single question doesn't need a lawyer, you should still have one lined up for when you do need it.

I wouldn't give out a referral myself unless I knew what kind of business this is for. I would not recommend the same person for a taxi company vs a software company vs a plastics manufacturer. My own company makes software and has needs in the intellectual property and licensing areas. That requires a specialty other companies don't need. In general you want a lawyer who has other clients in similar businesses.

If you can be more specific than "small business law", I'd be happy to help you out. Either on the Forum, or privately if you just click on the envelope by my name.

(and just so it's quite clear, I'm not a lawyer by any means, but I do have quite a few contacts out there)

Eric Kaiser is your guy. Helping small business owners is his passion. He is a business lawyer who is experienced, responsive, timely, cost-effective, professional and focused on serving the legal needs of small and mid-sized businesses.

(908) 876-1823 | kaiser@erickaiserlaw.com

HomeRunHairCare HomeRunHairCare
Dec '16

Anyone have any more recommendations? I need a business civil lawyer

Morgan612 Morgan612
Mar '17

I am glad you don't need a business matrimonial of criminal attorney :)

skippy skippy
Mar '17

I ended up with Mr. Houston of Houston & Palmer on High St in Hackettstown. He was courteous, knowledgeable, and took his time on the phone to answer my many questions. He also was the most reasonably priced of the several attorneys I contacted.
Highly recommend him.

DaveB
Mar '17

And his partner is a municipal judge in most of the towns in Warren county it may help

skippy skippy
Mar '17

Im doing research for someone i know for someone and their business is in sussex county. Theres so many lawyers out there so didnt know if anyone had any recommendations. Thanks for your input will forward these guys to my friend!

Morgan612 Morgan612
Mar '17

A few years ago when I had to go to Mr. Houston for a (very small) inheritance situation, I was very shocked at his lack of professionalism.
However, Mrs. Houston was on top of things and took care of the details..
Everything was taken care of thanks to her.
Tread there with caution.

happiest girl
Mar '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.