Tipping Movers

How much would you tip 4 movers who are hired for a full day of packing and then the next day they will be loading a truck and moving everything to storage...?

hmmthoughts
Dec '16

A lot. It is Christmas after all. But seriously, I tipped my movers $100 cash/each and fed them too.

Dallas Dallas
Dec '16

Ask the person you signed the contract with for advice. You should feed them a meal also.

Roywhite Roywhite
Dec '16

My move was fully paid for by my job re-location, but when the 2 guys showed up to pack and load, I tipped $20/each for packing (~3-4 hours), $50/each for loading the truck (~1/3rd of a tractor trailer), and $100/each when they unloaded into the new house 700 miles away (they were the truck drivers too).

My thought was that packing is pretty simple, they are like paper wrapping, box building robots. Loading the truck was more work but was literally "downhill" from the front door. Unloading required more thought, going up stairs, etc. Plus it was hot out.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '16

Thanks everyone.

Anyone use Vernay Moving & Storage in Netcong? That is where I got my quote from and I am having a little sticker shock.

hmmthoughts
Dec '16

Used Vernay both times I moved (as yes, tipped them $100 plus food). Worth every penny. You wont be disappointed.

Dallas Dallas
Dec '16

@Dallas - thank you! I have heard only positive reviews and they have been great to deal with thus far.

hmmthoughts
Dec '16

We used vernay multiple times! The guys are great and very good at what they do. We tipped each of them 100$ and bought them lunch too

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
Dec '16

Make sure you "understand" their insurance coverage ( per lb.) .

They moved me 10+ years ago, damaged an antique desk and coverage was discovered to be minimal from them.

Steven Steven
Dec '16

Don't use Vernay they are horrible. Used them to move and damaged furniture and brand new appliances. Owner would not agree to fix anything until we heavily twisted her arm. Then, the owner tried to charge us way more than what we agreed upon.

They also seem to damage a lot of customers items, as we found out through one of the third party furniture fixer they use. They literally hire them daily to go out onto their trucks or their storage facility to paint marks or fix damages without you even knowing.

Overrated Overrated
Dec '16

If you use Vernay there estimate is just an estimate. My final pound load was higher then what they estimated and my final bill was more then 1000 dollars higher. #learnedthehardway

CraftBeerBob CraftBeerBob
Dec '16

We are having a shed delivered in a couple weeks. How much should we tip? I know the delivery guy is not technically a "mover", but I assume we should still tip.

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '17

I would think that depends on how hard it is and if they tear up your lawn with the truck - if there is a lot of effort involved I would say $20 enough to get lunch for 2

skippy skippy
Apr '17

They shouldn't tear up the lawn. If you have never seen it, this is how they deliver it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E0m8SMWEME

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '17

That's a cool little machine they pull it with - I would say no more than $10 per person

skippy skippy
Apr '17

Thanks skippy!

Calico696 Calico696
Apr '17

No problem

skippy skippy
Apr '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.