Painting front door - tips/ideas?

Painting front door - tips/ideas?

So I'm adding things to my spring "to-do" list at my new house.

One item I want to address is the front entrance. I think it needs some color to pop out a bit more when you walk in. I appreciate stained wood... but being all brown is just too "dark" and drab.

I already removed the storm door (that I hated). The door is in a deep porch, so no weather concerns - just have to fill in the now exposed hinge mortises.

First, a technical question: The wood is currently stained but faded. I've been reading about how to paint over stain, and it looks like it may be as easy as lightly sanding, cleaning with TSP (or something milder/safer), then using a quality oil based primer before applying latex paint. Has anyone done this and have any secret tips to make sure it all goes well?

Next, an aesthetic question: My current window trim is beige so I would probably do that for the raised trim areas. I was then thinking a deep red for the door and side light pockets. Almost exactly like this (my beige is a little less yellow though):

http://terryography.blogspot.com/2010/08/summer-projects.html

Not sure what I'd do with the curved wood trim over the door (would probably look ugly as a light beige). Maybe redo that in a dark stain?

Anyone else with a good eye for color have suggestions?

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '16

Re: Painting front door - tips/ideas?

Here's one of my windows...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '16

I have a potentially dumb related question as I too am planning to paint my front door. I want to paint the outside facing front a darker color, but leave the inside facing back white.

In this case, what is best to do with the sides of the door - match the inside or outside color?

D-ManPV D-ManPV
Dec '16

"In this case, what is best to do with the sides of the door - match the inside or outside color?"

I'd match the darker color (I might leave mine as stained wood on the sides) so that any abrasion from opening/closing the door is less evident.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '16

Sorry Mark Mc, if it were my door I would just strip and restore the stain and poly to make that beautiful wood glow again. Then add color by hanging something pretty on or above the door. Would also set some pretty pots with flowers or greens at this time of year outside along edge.

I've painted over stained wood before in my home and had regrets.

But good luck, I'm sure others will have some suggestions for you. Your new home looks beautiful from the pics.

hktownie hktownie
Dec '16

I completely see what you're saying hktownie. Just thinking that because of the deep porch, a dark door looks even darker and less inviting.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '16

Many years ago, my parents argued over what color to paint the front door. My father wanted to paint it red. The door was never painted red, but 9 months later, my brother was born......so I say red to be safe!

maja2 maja2
Dec '16

Maybe the best solution is to just paint the trim in at least create some contrast.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '16

I'd probably go a little less fire engine red, but just as a quick mock-up...

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '16

Gut it. It's crap. The door and the brick is the exact same color which doesn't fly. Change the entry way so it has a multi-color stained glass around the door, paint it so it has a contrasting color, and make the door a light color. In addition, put in spot lights so it's got real light instead of being so dark.

I would leave it stained. Add a brass kick plate , change the sidelight glass, & add more lighting. JMO

The red door looks good!

maja2 maja2
Dec '16

I like your mockup, Mark. I can't tell from the pic, but as you walk toward the door, is there a wall on the left? If so, can you open that up to let in more light?

3wbdwnj 3wbdwnj
Dec '16

I'm a big fan of black doors....then put a boxwood wreath up, a bright door mat.

Also, put a new pendant/chandelier up...looks like you already have the set up for it.

Maybe a nice black window box along the two front windows to break up the brick as well.

Nosila Nosila
Dec '16

Pic didn't attach

Nosila Nosila
Dec '16

also, you can dont have to do it all black...the trim can be white to break it up

Nosila Nosila
Dec '16

Black doors look nice on the right house. I don't think it would work here.

The current light is recessed. I'm at least going to put a surface light on the ceiling. Would love a pendan/lantern, but it would be too low, right in your face, as the door is a small step up from the landing.

The walls on the left/right of the door are bedroom walls. Can't change those.

Just FYI I removed the tree in front of the bedroom windows and the climbing vines. I like landscaping around the house but not *on* the house. The tree was growing into the gutter and the vines keep moisture (and bugs) around the wood window frames.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '16

"Gut it. It's crap."

Lol, that's what my "gut" is telling me too...

"put in spot lights"

Do you mean something shining back into the entry? Not much room for any sconces... a pendant would look OK if it's ~16" max to the bottom.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '16

Also, depends how different you are willing to be.

You could do teal, grey, yellow.....red looks good too based on your pic. How about adding black shutters to windows as well?

Nosila Nosila
Dec '16

I am with Nosila...Your front door is your invitation to the world to stop in and be welcome to your home. Be different. Red is great!!! ( does not have to be a bright red)...Turquoise blue is very inviting. Our front door is now black but that is our next project as well. Really thinking about a front red door myself...

Joyful Joyful
Dec '16

"How about adding black shutters to windows as well?"

That would probably look good and help "finish" the front facade.

The scary part is drilling into brick! Have to keep your fingers crossed that something doesn't stress/crack in the wrong spot.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '16

Spots into the entry? No.not exactly. Spots so that the whole area is illuminated, both at the doorway, and the steps in front of it. You should be able to see the entryway from 100 feet away. As long as it looks good, show it off from afar.

If you gut it, can I have the old door?

I love the red although it is very popular right now. Might keep the sidelights in either stain or another lighter color. Try your modeling device check it out Might highlight the focal point of the door better.

Laying down coat of primer is a good idea even with paint that includes a primer. If it's an old door, you may want to go with one of the new polymers like Benjamin Franklin's Aura. Tends to be a thicker paint to fill the cracks which can be a disadvantage for good wood. If the wood's in really good shape, I would avoid the new polymers a stick with a more basic latex.

No matter what, you will get brushstrokes and that's what you want to try to minimize in how you paint the door. Try to follow the grain of the wood with your brushstrokes for a more harmonious outcome. Nice feathery long strokes look better than short choppy ones. Not to worry, you can only see them for about 4 feet out.

Or you can dip it to strip it and then take it to a paint shop for a nice spray finish. Maybe bake it :-)

Good luck.

Side colors for two color doors. I use the inside color only because it is the more neutral.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Dec '16

"If you gut it, can I have the old door?"

I'd give you the wood storm door (full glass) that I just removed... unless I can find some other place to put that.

"Might keep the sidelights in either stain or another lighter color. "

Just scanned through some google images... that looks good with white trim/sidelights. Haven't seen anything that I like when the trim is beige. Not looking to repaint all my trim white (although that would be typical of a "simple" paint project somehow blowing up into a second story addition...)

"Laying down coat of primer is a good idea even with paint that includes a primer.

Jack of all trades, master of none... primer is primer, paint is paint. The wood's in good shape, but I'll definitely use a quality offering from Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams. I've tried Behr and Valspar in the past (for less critical jobs) but was never wowed with them.

Seems like everyone has a bit different opinion, although at the same time there really isn't a wrong one, as long as the colors don't completely clash.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '16

For old wood with checking I think the new polymer-rich paints are great. I just used some on interior doors and it was a real pain because the paint is much thicker than normal and tends to fill trim lines. Just no need for the thick stuff and it gets in the way. And the exterior is thicker than interior paint.

I would bet the cream looks great or you could get a light color complimentary to the cream.

I just did a stained vanity in a light cream but did the doors and drawers in a mocca that was basically the same cream with a few drops of brown added. Two colors but complimentary. Worked great but had to dry for days because I did not do the light sand step.

Strangerdanger Strangerdanger
Dec '16

I'm sold. Even after my comment above I do like the mockup in red with the white side trim. Really makes the entry pop. And the kickplate and lighting are great ideas too. Can't wait to see the finished product.

hktownie hktownie
Dec '16

"Can't wait to see the finished product."

It'll be a few months... while it is warmer down here than in NJ, we do get a little cold in the winter. Not good for painting... ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '16

Mark, where exactly are you in SC, Greer, Duncan area? I was down in Greenville in September and love the area.

kb2755 kb2755
Dec '16

I'm in Pendleton (just barely... outside of the town limits). If you look at Google maps, I'm close to "Northlake" by the arm of Lake Hartwell.

Greenville is a great town. Lots of nice places to eat and fun to walk around when the weather is nice and there are street musicians playing on various corners.

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '16

I think the black door "pops" more than the red door because only the door is the focus against the solid white sidelights.

And not that they have to be white: I just saw a red/cream combination that looked good although it was "heritage" colors so not fire engine red and a more buttery cream. So I am pretty sure your trim color would work for the sidelights and look great.

On technique: my best jobs would be to remove the door, all the hardware, and take my time to paint, flip, and paint the other side. Usually I just leave the door in place, remove all hw except the hinges, tape off the glass and use a very good 4-inch brush (less brush strokes), never get more than 1/3 of the brush wet, using a light touch opting for two light coats versus one heavy coat and watch those doobers off the panels and windows, especially all corners. And yes, I would prime this one and avoid those new-fangled polymer heavy paints. Avoid sticking the brush in the hardware holes, they can have grease, oil, or graphite dust in them mucking up your brush. If you get a puddle in there, use a rag, don't dirty your brush. And be sure to clean the top before you paint; don't know how many times I forget that and have to either do it right later or, dry dust it, close my eyes and paint over the dust as my last duty before clean up.

Have been doing a lot of my doors this year, inside and out, including two-colors, either inside and outside or just the panels being in an accent color. Don't recommend the panels unless you can tape them off very accurately. My panels have rolls rather than 90-degree angles on the trim lines and impossible to tape perfectly. Not my best job.

However the stained vanity, in two complimentary colors, is a show stopper. With the money I saved, I got new "Martha Stewart" extra robust handles, an upgrade custom "marble" top and extremely upgraded faucets although very plain. Done over stain with very few brush strokes showing.

strangerdanger strangerdanger
Dec '16

I think it would be a nightmare to try and tape out just the panels... all one color for me.

The door will stay on the hinges (I'll probably leave the sides alone). The inside is already painted white, so no need to do any flipping (and also why I'm not super torn about doing paint vs. stain - it's not a museum quality piece of wood).

Note: This is a picture from the real estate listing... I need to also shop for furniture and accessories (right now my TV shipping crate is still sitting in the foyer... hardly an elegant solution...)

Kind of a bland door on both sides. I at least need some side light curtains.

And no, I haven't yet figured out what all 6 light switches control by the front door ;)

Mark Mc. Mark Mc.
Dec '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.