Accident Rt 57 Mansfield-12/5

Does anyone know whats going on on rt 57 in mansfield infront of taphouse grille? Theres a bunch of cops and ambulances

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
Dec '16

Car vs. pedestrian according to the EMS site. Hope everyone will be ok.

http://www.wcpublicsafety.com/firstresponder/wc911/actframe.html

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '16

There was another one by the Honda dealer on Route 46 before Target. Front of car was smashed in pretty good. Fire department on scene.

Big box truck hit a guy on his bicycle. Not looking good. That whole stretch of road needs to be addressed. To many entrances, to much traffic. Should have been planned out better. It's a wonder something like this hasn't happened sooner.

Englishe30 Englishe30
Dec '16

Gentleman hit on the bike passed away due to his injuries. Please pray for him and his family.

JBJSKJ JBJSKJ
Dec '16

Oh my! Very sorry to hear it. RIP

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '16

was the guy on the bicycle from Mansfield Village Apts?

Hacklifer Hacklifer
Dec '16

Hacklifer, no he was not. He lived in Washington.

englishe30 englishe30
Dec '16

So sad, especially this time of the year. People really need to start paying attention

Dallas Dallas
Dec '16

The guy that passed away from the accident is he the guy that always rides his bike on rt 57 going up towards washington everyday around like 3:45 pm? Hes a bigger guy and usally has a orange jacket on? I wonder if that was him

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
Dec '16

I drove by at this time, and saw someone matching that description lying face down.

rmmjs rmmjs
Dec '16

It's a very bad spot for cars to turn onto 57 from that shopping center and from across the street, at Shop Rite and the exit from the Quality Inn. At night and during major seasonal holiday shopping, which is descending on us now, it's really bad. I did drive by the scene last night, but didn't realize a pedestrian had been involved.

Denise Denise
Dec '16

The guy used to work at Elastimold Thomas & Betts

Soccermom12.....yes it was that gentleman.

Richie
Dec '16

Awe thats so sad i would see him everyday. May he rest in peace

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
Dec '16

I used to see this guy cruising on his bike everyday, while I drove back from Washington after dropping off students. He was very devoted and was out in all kinds of weather. The day of accident I saw a mangled up bike and in my gut I had a feeling it might be him:( I drove that route for 4 more days and kept looking for him but unfortunately he was the victim of that accident:( I always worried about him on the road because it was a dark road and idiots drivers are all over. I will miss seeing him on the road:( God bless him and his family! Such a tragic thing, right around the holidays! Does anyone know if a fund has been set up to help him and his family at this time? People need to slow the F down and look before cutting cars off to get into road and parking lots!

Sergio Qureshi Sergio Qureshi
Dec '16

@Sergio, the family was requesting any donations go to Mansfield rescue squad, fire department and first responders. Read this in the Daily Record obituary.

Happycamper Happycamper
Dec '16

This is so sad. The guy was working hard, trying to make a living for his family. Biking everyday from Washington to work on Newburgh Rd.
Always have to wonder why s*it like this happens. RIP.

Botheredbyuu2 Botheredbyuu2
Dec '16

Might help: group of New Jersey lawmakers have introduced a bill that would require the state to quiz would-be drivers on the rules of sharing the road. http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2016/12/lawmakers_want_new_questions_on_pedestrian_bike_sa.html#incart_river_mobile_home

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Dec '16

OnTheEdge

That's all well and good, BUT someone also needs to inform pedestrians and bicyclists about their responsibilities as well. Too many bikers blow right through stop signs and red lights as well as ride on the wrong side of the road or don't have proper lighting and reflectors on their bicycles for riding in less than optimal conditions and/or when it's dark out.

A good number of pedestrians also walk right out into traffic without regard to whether or not anyone is so close as to present a hazard to them or walk out from between cars or from another area where they can't be seen by oncoming vehicles or are wearing clothing so dark as to be nearly invisible to the vehicle, while the vehicle is quite large and easily seen should they actually look up from their phone, etc. to check first if the coast is clear.

By that, I'm not trying to absolve inattentive, careless or irresponsible drivers of their duties, since their attention SHOULD always be focused on their driving and using due care and circumspection in trying to ascertain any potential problems or issues.
Sharing the road is a two way street and ALL parties using and/or crossing it need to be aware of and take charge of their own responsibilities.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '16

Phil D.

Wrong place to rant. This gentlemen was riding his bike lawfully when struck.

greg b
Dec '16

This is very sad, may he RIP. There is a woman I see almost every day that rides her bicycle to work on Rt. 31. I have seen her as far north as Washington and as far south as Annandale. Not sure where she is coming from or going to, but that's a heck of a ride. She's out there in all kinds of weather too. Freezing cold, blazing heat. I always worry about her safety. She is always wearing reflective gear, has lights on her bike, rides with traffic and stays to the far inside of the shoulder. She's doing her part to ride properly and safely, I just hope drivers do the same.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '16

greg b

I'm not ranting, only responding that complaining only about the vehicle drivers and asking them questions about sharing the road won't help if pedestrians & bicycle riders aren't invested in their own safety.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '16

Greg,

Sounds like you witnessed the accident. You should call the police and report what you saw.

Hot under the collar
Dec '16

Calico

I definitely feel badly for that lady and anyone else who has to either "hoof it" or "two wheel it (non-motorized) to work or wherever they need to go. I remember the years when I had to do a lot of walking due to an accident & the temporary loss of my car during the winter of '79 or so, as well as in the early 80's when I first moved to NJ. I did a LOT of walking & running to get where I needed to go. Whether it's due to something like that, lack of fundage (or license) or just wanting to be healthier and go easier on the environment, it pays to travel as safely as you can, such as the lady you mention seems to do. I wish her and everyone else in that kind of situation safety and health! I also hope that motorists are careful to keep an eye out for others, both motorists & non motorists alike. Safety is everyone's business.

Phil D. Phil D.
Dec '16

Thank you so much Happycamper! Appreciate that info

Sergio Qureshi Sergio Qureshi
Dec '16

I find myself feeling sad that this man is the guy on the bike. Anyone know the poor souls name?

maja2 maja2
Dec '16

Richard S. Paszkowski

Richard S. Paszkowski of Mansfield, NJ, passed away suddenly on Monday, December 5, 2016 at 47 years young.

Born in Newark, NJ Richard was an avid New York Giants fan. He loved the outdoors; one of his favorite hobbies being fishing. Above all else he loved his family and friends. He would give the shirt off of his back and do anything to help others. On behalf of Richard's family we would like to thank those who were there to help him; Mansfield Emergency Squad, Tri-County Fire Department, Police Department of Mansfield Township, Mt. Bethel Fire Department, St. Clare's Paramedics and Air One and Morristown Memorial Trauma Department.

Predeceased by his father, Steve Paszkowski; he leaves happy memories to his wife Kathy Paszkowski of 14 years; loving mother Ruth Paszkowski (Mitch Smith); dear brother Jason Paszkowski (Kayla), and many more cherished relatives and friends.

Relatives and friends may visit on Tuesday, December 13, 2016 from 4-8 pm at Norman Dean Home for Services, 16 Righter Avenue, Denville, NJ 07834. In lieu of flowers, donations in his name may be made to the good work of the Mansfield Emergency Squad or the Tri-County Fire Department by way of www.inmemoryof-memorial.org. Please go to www.normandean.com to leave a condolence for his family. - See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dailyrecord/obituary.aspx?n=richard-s-paszkowski&pid=183035768#sthash.ettVGtYr.dpuf

Happycamper Happycamper
Dec '16

Thank you Happycamper.

May Richard rest in peace.

maja2 maja2
Dec '16

So young, what a shame. It's refreshing to see that donations are being asked for to go to something other than funeral expenses.

Calico696 Calico696
Dec '16

After reading all the comments I appreciate everything that I read, I am this person's younger brother my name is Jason, this was a tragic and very sudden loss to me and my family, I just hope that this would be one step closer to the awareness that people should have out on the road being in a vehicle or on a bicycle or whatever, happy holidays to all the good-hearted people out there, be safe!!!

Jason P Jason P
Jan '17

Very sorry for your loss Jason.

Calico696 Calico696
Jan '17

Very sorry for your loss. He seemed like a wonderful hard working guy. Happy holidays to you and your family. His spirit is with you all

Soccermom12 Soccermom12
Jan '17

Jason P, my sincerest sympathy to you and your family. I hope that 2017 brings you peace, and the comfort of happy memories of your brother.

maja2 maja2
Jan '17

So sorry for your loss, Jason. Sounds like he was a hard working, wonderful person. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all of his family.

sparksjbc1964 sparksjbc1964
Jan '17

Thank you everyone, best of luck to you all as well!

Jason P. Jason P.
Jan '17

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.