Legion Dinner Question

Are the Legion dinners self-serve buffets or are they plated and served to you?
I see there is Eggplant on the menu for this Friday.
Yum!
Who makes the food?

happiest girl
Dec '16

It is served to you, it is not a buffet. It's made by members of the Legion.

Thanks!
I'll have to call to see if the eggplant is made with vegetarian sauce.
What about the dessert -- is it store cookies like the Knights of Columbus spaghetti dinner .... or are they various desserts?

happiest girl
Dec '16

Desserts are donated so everyone is different. Sometimes people will buy something and bring it, other times it's home made. Of late the lady serving, Pam, often brings something and that's always delicious home made cakes and pies. Every week is different.

The Legion Men and Volunteers provide a meal every Friday night (unless otherwise posted on their marquee out front of the Legion on Willow Grove St.). usually at a very minimal cost to the public.. This week is either eggplant Parmesian or Chicken Parmesian on the menu. The desserts are usually provided by those of us who bake or lately by one of the woman who volunteers there to serve and her bakery items are really good. Most Friday nights are Burgers, Cheese Steaks or another specialty sandwich at the cost of $5 but at least once a month they offer a full meal... They are also available for take outs. You simply go there..go downstairs at the Legion..get in line by the kitchen door and place your order. Have a seat and (if you want go to the bar for a very inexpensive drink while waiting) and then they will deliver your meal to you at your table. I personally look forward to Friday nights at the Legion and sitting with old/longtime friends and enjoying the hospitality. All are welcome..

Joyful Joyful
Dec '16

That's great also to know there is take-out available.
Usually I wouldn't be able to sit down because of my schedule.
Thanks for all that info you provided, GC & Joyful.
:-)

happiest girl
Dec '16

Joyful, Your post is so informative and inviting. I'm thinking the attendance on Friday night's will increase 10 fold. Maybe I can even get my gom (grumpy old man) to go down the street for a burger once in a while.

The info is great! What are the Friday serving hours?

Hopeful Hopeful
Dec '16

Hopeful: The Friday night serving hours at the Legion are 5-8 P.M. The bar also opens at 5...The Legion people do really well with their meals especially on burger nights where the lines are almost out the door to get takeouts at some points..($5 for burger night and if you want French fries w/cheese with that it is just $2 more)..These people that work the dinners are so dedicated and do a great job...All of the proceeds from the dinners there go to help our Veterans and current Military personnel.. Just a FWI...Lowes of Hackettstown recently renovated the downstairs Mens and Womens Bathrooms at the Legion on Willow Grove Street..No charge to the Legion for this service!!...Please give Lowes your business and support when you are able..This was a wonderful thing for them to do..

Joyful Joyful
Dec '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.