Veteran designation on NJ drivers license

I just learned of this, they started to be issued July 1 of this year. You can wait until when your current license expires OR you can update it (new lic issued ) immediately for free. Details:

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Licenses/vet.htm

OnTheEdge OnTheEdge
Dec '16

The program has been in effect for a couple years. At first they were stickers. I've had mine since the first month or so. Just bring your DD214 to the DMV.

Just clicked you link to see the current info and am honestly pissed off that it has now been reduced to a footnote that you need to pay attention to even notice.

The original design, which I currently have, was a circle badge of a flag (stars and stripes) in the upper right hand corner with the word veteran.

They have now made it so that my lousy BOAT endorsement is more prominent in catching the eye. Who's stupid decision was that?

It isn't even in a good spot. If they left it in the upper right hand corner, at least it would stand out from a normal license.

Found something interesting for any other vets. I'm leaving out all the blah blah blah, but leaving the parts relevant to us-

Be It Enacted by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:

1. Section 1 of P.L.1955, c.49 (C.40:61-22.20) is amended to read as follows:

C.40:61-22.20 Municipal control over beaches, etc.; fees.

b. A municipality may by ordinance provide that no fees, or reduced fees, shall be charged to:

(5) persons who have served in any of the Armed Forces of the United States and who were discharged or released therefrom under conditions other than dishonorable and who either have served at least 90 days in active duty or have been discharged or released from active duty by reason of a service-incurred injury or disability. The Adjutant General of the New Jersey Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs shall promulgate rules and regulations pertaining to veteran eligibility under this paragraph.

c. A municipality providing for no fees or reduced fees pursuant to paragraph (3), (4), or (5) of subsection b. of this section shall track, in a manner deemed appropriate by the governing body of the municipality, the number of persons who qualify under the provisions of those paragraphs.

d. A person who qualifies for free access to beaches and bathing and recreational grounds and free use of bathing and recreational facilities pursuant to paragraph (3), (4), or (5) of subsection b. of this section may, in lieu of obtaining and presenting a municipal beach tag or similar admission pass to gain such access and use, present a valid military identification card, form DD-214 or similar document, or State driver’s license or identification card indicating that the holder is a veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States.

2. This act shall take effect immediately.

Approved January 11, 2016.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.