Barium swallow test

Anyone ever had one of these? What was your experience? I think I need one but don't want to do it.

I had one quite some time ago. It was really not that big a deal. The stuff is a bit chalky that doesn't exactly make it into a Humpty Dumpty milk shake. But it's just a few swallows while they do the pictures. If you really need it, don't let it hold you back.

It's a breeze as long as you don't mind a chalky, milky taste. It's more than a few sips if memory serves me correct but it's been 10 years (wow, I'm old). Perhaps 8 ounces? The strangest thing is the color of your...ehem, poop after you've digested it. Think: 3 month old white dog poop.

Consigliere
Dec '16

Have you been to physician to see if you need one, that would be the first step.

Nature Lover Nature Lover
Dec '16

Thanks to you both. That made me laugh out loud.

Ugh, as someone who has Crohn's disease, I personally hate them and avoid them. Also, it depends if you are getting an Upper GI or lower. An upper GI will be a super, thick, chalky substance that, personally, I can't keep down. They do make it in other flavors. Best solution is to drink quickly, through a straw, and hold your nose so you do not taste it.

If it is a lower one (I just had one about 2 weeks ago when I had my gallbladder removed, is a lot thinner in its solution and they put ice in it with apple juice.

It's a disgusting thing to ingest, but if you have to get it, its better to get it done and over with.

sunshinenj sunshinenj
Dec '16

Personally I am surprised the are doing such tests. Thy are pretty much being phased out due to MRI.(of course if you cant have an MRI) you will need one.

As far as Crohns Disease sunshinenjI I also been diagnosed with it and I have never had either test. I just have to have a yearly colonoscopy.

Christine Christine
Dec '16

They would never do a MRI first for this issue related to the radiation. The barium swallow is a quicker, easier, and clearer picture to diagnose swallowing issues.

mattyg58 mattyg58
Dec '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.