Bell's Palsy

Currently suffering from Bells Palsy and wondering what recovery is like. Jaw and side of face are now sore so not sure if this is a sign that nerves are repairing or just part of the affliction?

Depressed patient Depressed patient
Dec '16

Could well be nerves are awakening. I have had it twice, once on each side. It was many years ago, but as I recall the only pain was with recovery and it was really more just discomfort. Second one was much slower to heal, over 6 months. Fully came back, except if you really look, the left side of my face is a split second behind the other.

Dansker Dansker
Dec '16

My husband had that 4 years ago. It took about 2 months for his face to look normal again. You can not tell by looking at him now that he ever had it.

Annie220 Annie220
Dec '16

Go to the new health food store in Chester (across the highway from Shop Rite), and they have products that could help. I believe a manager named Robin had that years ago, and she did some things to get rid of it.

Hacklifer Hacklifer
Dec '16

Bells Palsy, please get checked for Lyme Disease !!

I developed Bell's Palsy, due to Lyme Disease. It took a good 4 to 5 months but it did go away. I did have to take the antibiotics that helped the Lyme Disease go away.

Mansfield mama Mansfield mama
Dec '16

my neighbor has lyme's disease, according to her , it does not "go away"....what is the reality if you have it ?

Steven Steven
Dec '16

My doctor said my episode of Bells Palsy was brought on by stress and not Lymes so no need to get checked.

Depressed patient Depressed patient
Dec '16

Get the Western Blot Test for LYME DISEASE

Hacklifer Hacklifer
Dec '16

The Lyme virus can hide in the spine dormant for a long time. Then the nerve activity of stress can reactivate it. It may not be the issue, but if you haven't already been tested for Lyme, you really should get that.

Steven,
If you catch Lyme disease early you can cure it with antibiotics. I know several people who have had Lyme, my daughter being one of them, who have no long term effects from it. My daughter has been tested several times in the years following her diagnosis and her tests are negative. If it goes undiagnosed you can have long term consequences.

Jesse123 Jesse123
Dec '16

Jesse,

thank you for the input .

Steven Steven
Dec '16

Get checked for Lyme's! It brought on my husband's Bell's palsy and the early dose of antibiotics helped. Please get the test anyway, you don't want to have it and not know. If you wait the Lyme's could be harder to treat and it is very common in this area.

"The Lyme virus can hide in the spine dormant for a long time."--GC

But it would still be picked up on a Lyme blood test, correct?

Tracy Tracy
Dec '16

Depends on how bad your case is. I had it a few years ago, took at least 3 weeks to go away. I think I was taking 5 different types of medicine. Mine was brought on by stress as well but I would still suggest getting tested for Lyme. I also had a CT of my head done just to ensure there wasn't an underlying issue that I didn't know about.

GoForIt
Dec '16

Tracy - Yes. Western blot test for antibodies which would be there if your body has ever fought off the Lyme virus. That includes even if the virus is completely gone, but was there at one point in time.

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.