How to watch EastEnders/British TV online

I've been watching this BBC program on various PBS stations for 30 years. Unfortunately, WLVT in Bethlehem suddenly discontinued it and they showed their last episode Sunday night. I'm trying to find a way to continue watching it and have come across two possibilities. One is by downloading MP4 files which would allow me to resume watching the story lines that I've been watching (these are 10 years in the past). The other way is by streaming the current episodes from the BBC website but this isn't available outside of Britain and would require using a VPN to disguise my US IP address. Can anyone give my any insight into how difficult this would be to do either way? I'd like to watch them on a tv, not on a computer and think I'd be able to set it up myself once I got a new flat screen tv. I've been watching this program so long that I feel like I've lost an old friend. Thanks for any info or help you can offer.

Dot Cotton's mate Dot Cotton's mate
Nov '16

Downloading when you are not a UK resident is illegal. Don't go there. Some of those MP4's might be bootleg. Best bet is to buy yearly episodes on DVD and just play them at your leisure. They're available on Amazon or you might try eBay since those are generally pretty darn old.

Amazon prime video?
BBC America ?
Sling?

skippy skippy
Nov '16

GC, thanks for your response. I looked online for DVD sets but didn't find any except for the odd special episode. And even if there were some available, I presume they would not be compatible with the format used in a US DVD player. This show is on BBC 1 four episodes per week for 30 minutes each. Those DVD sets would be massive if they existed. I'd pay the BBC to stream them if it was available, but unfortunately they don't offer it.

Nov '16

The DVD's are out there, they aren't always for the US format, but they do exist. I think they're mostly made for the Canadian market which is our region and format that works. Search eBay for them, they come up once in a while. My sister in law got similar DVD's for something my brother watches. Yes, they are massive. Each year is a set of like 10 whole DVD's. They are usually sold year by year. That means they won't be cheap to get.

PS. Dot's a piece of work. ;-)

Try Acorn Tv. You can get their streaming service through Amazon for $4.99 a month. Tons of Itv and BBC shows-the best selection you will find streaming. If you don't have Prime, I believe you can get the service through their website too for the same price.

BBC fan BBC fan
Nov '16

Kodi program with some tweaks let you stream any Tv show, I just tried the show you mentioned I was able to stream season 1 (1985) but somehow new episodes are not available yet.

I'm using Fire Tv with Kodi. in the mean time I have an APP in my fire Tv that let me watch all British Channels (BBC1,2,3 andf ITV1,...and even skymovies) it's $50/year subscription.

TinkoDinko TinkoDinko
Nov '16

Love my fire TV with Kodi and Phoenix repository

skippy skippy
Nov '16

Wow, watching tv sure has changed!! I've had to Google lots of the terms in the responses you kind people have provided but I think I understand most of what was suggested. I'd appreciate any other ideas you may have, though. $50 a year to watch the current EastEnder episodes on BBC 1 would be well worth it. I've been hoping that my old tv would break so that I could get a new one without feeling guilty but this might seal the deal.

Nov '16

Ok, I went through his years ago when I was cut off from eastenders, acorn doesn't carry it, the dvds take forever to get and you made need a specific region dvd player to even watch them.

your best bet is to download a proxy server and use a serve with an ip in the uk, then you can stream it for free from the website a day or two after it is broadcast on tv

creativemuffin creativemuffin
Nov '16

Tinko, I cannot find the Fire tv app that has all British channels (BBC 1etc ,ITV ) can you be more specific? Thanks

eapos eapos
Dec '16

Found another (legal) way....
http://cordcuttersnews.com/bbc-amc-launching-new-streaming-service-called-britbox/

Bug3
Dec '16

Bug 3,
Thanks for that info. I appreciate it.

Dec '16

The new Britbox service sounds good! Another option might be Acorn, and you can get a 30 day free trial. Link below gets you to the list of shows.

https://signup.acorn.tv/

There are some upcoming shows on BBC1 and BBC2 that I would like to see, I haven't taken the time to find the best option yet. Thanks for the thread.

hktownie hktownie
Dec '16

@eapos I just PMed you, It's a an android app, you can install it on fire tv, basically the easy way will be send the app from an android phone to the fire tv (there's an app for that called apps2fire )

Then you need to buy the 1 year service, it's $37.80 for all the channels (UK, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, France, Turkey and few others.

TinkoDinko TinkoDinko
Dec '16

Tinko got it, amazing thanks so much

eapos eapos
Dec '16

I wouldnt "buy" that service for those European channels..it's kinda like napster..it's like stealing cable or satellite..when u pay for it..you become a pirate consumer

Bug3
Dec '16

@BUG3 please save it, the system is rigged lol, Ceo of directtv or Dish makes 9 million a year , and who is paying It? US , stupid customers/consumers,

I use to have Att for my cell phone service, and get charged $110/month for two phones, now I have cricket (use same att cell towers) 5 lines and pay $100/month, how is that even possible?

TinkoDinko TinkoDinko
Dec '16

Tinko...when you pay for stuff like that..it creates a paper trail for the authorities to follow..sounds crazy..but it happens

Bug3
Dec '16

@bugs3 I'm not worried , I'm not a lawyer, but I can't tell that streaming is in the Grey area , it's like the percentage of tinted windows in a car

TinkoDinko TinkoDinko
Dec '16

Bug3, I don't understand what is wrong with subscribing to a service that is operated by the BBC to stream BBC productions? Customers are paying the network to watch the network shows.

What am I missing?
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/dec/13/bbc-and-itv-to-launch-britbox-on-demand-service-in-us

No regrets
Dec '16

No regrets - I think Bug3 was commenting about Tinko's illegal service, not about Britbox.

Got it - I see now Bug is the one who suggested Britbox. My apologies Bug!

No regrets
Dec '16

Britbox is working, get mine thru ROKU, Eastenders, Emmerdale and more, started a couple of days ago

eapos eapos
Mar '17

Excited to try britbox, but am wondering if anyone knows how to better access Danish/Swedish/German tv/movies legally - for example, we really have enjoyed the first two seasons of the Danish version of The Bridge, but the latest season is not available in the same means - we watched it via youtube... ideas?

pmnsk pmnsk
Mar '17

I don't know about Danish or Swedish TV, but RTL, ZDF, and ORF are all quite tight with their programming. They're used to other countries being on the net and use your IP to permit or deny broadcasts. Their websites will give you all the schedules and synopsis and not much else. No recent episodes, etc, the US stations are all doing now. The only exception is ZDF which gives you the latest news write ups and will stream the evening news as well as their 60 Mins type documentaries. You can also get a morgen Augenblick but with the time difference the morning has hardly even begun here. Weird that they're even so tight with the copyright, the news casts block out any of the sports action. They give you the voice over, but they don't even have the rights to broadcast the picture.

You can pay though, there's the German language version of Sling at slinggerman.com.

https://www.britbox.com/about
yep you can get it any number of ways - one as a roku ap. and the eastenders is prominently highlighted

in re danish tv http://www.scandinavianliving.us/5-ways-watch-danish-tv-us/

skippy skippy
Mar '17

Another option to access the programmes (** note the British spelling!!!) is to check with the Warren County or Hackettstown library systems. They have an extensive network in their search engines and can obtain DVD sets for a binge watch. We did it with the first season of Downton Abbey to catch up to what was currently being shown.

At least worth a try ... and the price is right.

b1rd1e b1rd1e
Mar '17

I’m ressurecting this old thread in case anyone is interested to watch this program. It is being shown on PBS station WLIW which is channel 789 on Comcast. I was surprised to find it again and even more surprised to find that these episodes are from early 2008 which were originally shown in the UK only about a year after the last episode that was shown in November 2016 on WLVT. It’s like being reunited with old friends !!!

Quiet One Quiet One
Nov '19

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.