looking for clarification from planning board meeting

Can somebody explain to me what this means...on the agenda for the planning board meeting?

Resolutions – Town of Hackettstown Designation of a Non-Condemnation Area
in Need of Redevelopment Resolution
Block 125, Lot 9.01

animal lover animal lover
Oct '16

It's hard to explain without being long winded but the cliff notes version is it has to do with the old Mall lot behind Applebees. That lot has changed ownership a few times and It is in a state of disrepair. The planning board reviewed its current state and made a recommendation to the town that the site be designated as a site in need of redevelopment so we can find developers that want to build on it.

Jim L Jim L
Oct '16

Oh ok thank you Jim L. That does help. Wasn't sure if it was in regards to other futuristic plans where houses are being torn down.

animal lover animal lover
Oct '16

If you don't mind then, Jim L - that's the plot associated with "Lion's Gate". Is that designation paving the way for Lion's Gate to begin? Or does it mean Lion's Gate has essentially fallen through and now it's time to look for someone else?

It has fallen through GC. It was discussed at the last PB meeting in much detail. There was a foundation built prior to new flood zone designations to "grandfather" a building footprint. Unfortunately this was so long ago that the foundation now needs to be torn out essentially loosing that grandfather allowance. Being the whole back half or more of the property is a flood zone due to the river, it cannot be built on. So the town wants to market the street frontage to potential developers and possibly allow a use they formerly refused

Shooting from the hip here if my memory serves me correct

The resolutions from the last meeting are going to be discussed tonight

Darrin Darrin
Oct '16

Thanks Darrin. It's what I figured but wanted to confirm. Given the redrawing of the flood plane combined with the economics at the moment, I was surprised they were even still talking about it. Foundation issues are only one more nail in that coffin.

I believe there is someone interested in the Mountain Ave facing side of the lot which would leave them to "clean up" the whole Lot. Which would be a benefit to the town

Jim L Jim L
Oct '16

Correct GC. The town engineer did a site visit and presented condition photos at the last meeting. Pretty much everything currently there needs to be removed as it is beyond repair. There was talk of potentially a walking park in the back since it could not be built.

The problem I see here is good luck trying to get someone to purchase a piece of property that potentially can only have frontage built, and not be allowed to do anything with the remaining 2/3 of the property that will be profitable to a developer.

I think the town recognizes this as a real problem for this parcel, so that is why this redevelopment designation is occurring.

Also, previously there was ingress/egress limitations due to mountain avenue, but it is my understanding there has been a easement or such acquired to allow that lot to exit/enter behind Applebees and make it to the traffic light.

Darrin Darrin
Oct '16

Back to the Top | View all Forum Topics
This topic has not been commented on in 3 years.
Commenting is no longer available.